http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 03:00:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stan Winston RIP  (Read 1353 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:36:02 PM »

I stumbled onto this breaking news article at SuperHeroHype.com. Stan Winston has passed away. His name may not be familiar with you thought it sould be. Stan Winston and his FX studio was largely responsible for the awesome special effects in movies 'The Terminator' and 'T2', 'Aliens' (the alien queen), 'Jurassic Park' and many other landmark sci-fi blockbuster flicks. He and his studio worked on 'Iron Man' and were currently working on the new 'Terminator 4' film. He was an icon in the FX industry. R.I.P. Stan.  icon_frown
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 06:37:54 PM »

Oh man that sucks.  He was involved in many big time movies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:40:32 PM »

icon_eek

Wow...that sucks.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 06:47:42 PM »

When I was a wee lad I wanted to grow up to become a special effects artist.  I attribute that childhood desire in no small part to Stan Winston.  I never pursued the dream but I'm still thankful for all the great movies he's brought us over the years.  RIP, Stan.  You were one of the greats.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 06:55:22 PM »

Holy Crap!  I feel similar to hepcat.  As a young movie geek, Stan Winston, along with Rick Baker, Rob Bottin, Greg Cannom on makeup effects or ILM, Boss Films, or Dreamquest Images on visual effects was enough to get me to watch just about any movie. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 07:09:11 PM »

Is anyone else having difficulty finding a single article about his death?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:13:50 PM »

Argh. The updated news items said he died of cancer (he certainly never let onto that in his interviews for Iron Man).   tear

Weird thing. I did a Google News search, and apparently he had just sold his Malibu Beach House for $11.95 million  icon_eek
http://www.luxist.com/2008/06/15/sunday-real-estate-round-up-6-15-08/

This was the Web site for his house:
http://www.theperfectbeachhouse.com/

My 1980s-1990s memories are really wrapped up in memories of his (and his effects studio's) work on Terminator, Aliens, and Terminator 2.

And really his work on the actual, non-CGI part of Iron Man made the movie for me. He was always about teamwork (he was the "face" of Stan Winston Studios but it has lots of artists/designers etc.), and if he saw his own mortality coming, I'm sure he made arrangements for his studio to continue on with hopefully someone he approves of continuing to lead the company. He always came across as a sweet guy in interviews - I wondered sometimes how he came to work for someone like James Cameron (anything but sweet, for the most part) so much, but the two obviously had a lot of respect and affection for each other.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:16:58 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:14:38 PM »

His Wiki article is already updated with his death, June 15, 2008, of cancer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Winston

Can't find anything in the news though

EDIT: Found this on /Film:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/06/16/stan-winston-died/

And Ain't it Cool News:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37106
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:20:09 PM by Tokek » Logged
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 07:21:03 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 16, 2008, 06:55:22 PM

Holy Crap!  I feel similar to hepcat.  As a young movie geek, Stan Winston, along with Rick Baker, Rob Bottin, Greg Cannom on makeup effects or ILM, Boss Films, or Dreamquest Images on visual effects was enough to get me to watch just about any movie. 

Don't forget John Dykstra, Richard Edlund, Ray Harryhausen, etc

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 07:30:49 PM »

I heard this earlier and it made me a sad CeeKay. RIP Stan. 

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:54:02 PM »

Quote from: TK-421 on June 16, 2008, 07:21:03 PM

Never was a big Harryhausen fan.  I guess most of his stuff was before my time and Clash of the Titans didn't have a big impact.   Never a huge fan of Dykstra other than his work on Star Wars obviously.  Edlund formed Boss Films, of course who were quite a rival for ILM for a time. 
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 16, 2008, 07:54:02 PM

I guess most of his stuff was before my time and Clash of the Titans didn't have a big impact.

On some related news, I read today from several sources that there will be a 'Clash Of The Titans' remake, scripted by Lawrence Kasdan... who's also writing the live-action Robotech film. There will also be a 'Near Dark' remake.. And if all these news weren't painful enough to get, Marty and Kroff are seriously threatening to make a HR Puffenstuff live action movie.. and another for Sigfrid And The Sea Monsters.

Hollywood--where creative cinema goes to die.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 08:37:55 PM »

Thanks for the stunning visuals Stan. Ya made movies better than they were on their own. RIP.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 08:40:21 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on June 16, 2008, 08:23:31 PM

I guess most of his stuff was before my time and Clash of the Titans didn't have a big impact.

On some related news, I read today from several sources that there will be a 'Clash Of The Titans' remake, scripted by Lawrence Kasdan... who's also writing the live-action Robotech film. There will also be a 'Near Dark' remake.. And if all these news weren't painful enough to get, Marty and Kroff are seriously threatening to make a HR Puffenstuff live action movie.. and another for Sigfrid And The Sea Monsters.

Hollywood--where creative cinema goes to die.

while i wish they'd try to make original stuff, hiring kasdan could be the only saving grace for these remakes.  the man has had more hits than misses in his long career.

Quote from: TK-421 on June 16, 2008, 07:21:03 PM

Never was a big Harryhausen fan.  I guess most of his stuff was before my time and Clash of the Titans didn't have a big impact.   Never a huge fan of Dykstra other than his work on Star Wars obviously.  Edlund formed Boss Films, of course who were quite a rival for ILM for a time. 

i wish there was an internet forum version of the spit take as that's what happened when i read the line "Never was a big Harryhausen fan" in your post.  harryhausen was a god, man!!   icon_eek
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 08:43:22 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 08:48:18 PM »

Like I said, seems a bit before my time.  The only Harryhausen movies that were regularly on cable when I was growing up were Clash of the Titans and Seven Voyages of Sinbad. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 10:37:14 PM »

sad day for cinema.

just curious though, did anyone check to make sure it's really him in there? 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 11:36:39 PM »

crybaby

Stan was the King of FX. RIP Stan.

Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 12:38:08 AM »

CNN is reporting it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/16/obit.stan.winston.ap/index.html

crybaby
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 01:20:18 AM »

AP's article explains that he had worked with some senior effects supervisors to turn his studio into a full special effects studio. Hopefully that'll continue.
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hl63ah_BPW5CBAcdk_1TIBKFLorAD91BG6080

They interviewed Iron Man director Jon Favreau and apparently people recognized Winston was ailing but had no idea of the severity.

It was "multiple myeloma," which sound truly awful (an incurable cancer of the cells in your immune system)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_myeloma

Although I tend to associate him with robots and the like, he worked on Jurassic Park and some of its sequels, Batman Returns (I totally forgot), Edward Scissorhands, and got his earliest notices working on Emmy winning makeup for Roots, and the Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman (if I recall, Cicely Tyson aged from a teen to about 100). So he was nothing if not versatile.

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 02:28:45 AM »

This almost made me tear up. So much of my childhood belonged to the films he worked on in addition to films that just plain love. "Aliens." "The Monster Squad." "The Terminator 1 & 2." "Predator" (which pound for pound, there is no finer "guy film" in the entire catalog of Hollywood). "Jurassic Park." "Galaxy Quest." He worked on everything he could get his hands on, he loved every single second of it, and cinema was better for it. I sincerely hate knowing that he's personally no longer working on films. Go with God, Stan. Your legacy is secure here.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 04:51:34 AM »

Quote from: Tokek on June 17, 2008, 12:38:08 AM

Man what a tiny piece for such an influential guy!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »

Finally a decent write up at sfgate.com

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/19/DD8S11AKR3.DTL
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 01:06:43 AM »

Blue's News pointed out a neat Rotten Tomatoes online feature highlighting the films Winston worked on, along with a few choice original trailers in streaming video form (when available online). It's pretty neat. I can still remember seeing The Terminator with my visiting brother while I was in college, in a so-so theater, but we were so completely drawn into the movie.  icon_cool Between that, Aliens and Terminator 2, I was a blithering James Cameron fanboy for quite a few years.  icon_biggrin I was also convinced Michael Biehn would be "the next Harrison Ford." Oops.  icon_redface

Total Recall: The Best of Stan Winston
We take a look back at the celebrated career of Hollywood's beloved creature artist.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator/news/1735683/total_recall_the_best_of_stan_winston

It's really a great little way to celebrate his work.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 01:13:11 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 07:24:36 AM »

I have never heard of this person before but I love all of those movies so RIP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: