http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 06:52:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Amazing Spider-Man  (Read 16367 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 02, 2012, 04:32:03 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 02, 2012, 09:32:59 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 02, 2012, 03:06:57 AM

$50.2 million so far overseas.  I'm really enjoying the video game, but I'm debating whether the actual film will be worth $4 plus 2 hours and 18 minutes of my time.

I thought the Video Game was set after the Movie,i was going to maybe give it a try after seeing this at the Cinema

it is.  so far there have been a couple of spoilers but nothing major.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 02, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 02, 2012, 03:43:39 PM

I'm really enjoying the video game, but I'm debating whether the actual film will be worth $4 plus 2 hours and 18 minutes of my time.

Where the heck can you see first runs for $4?  Even the matinee around here is $7 - and Iowa is usually cheaper than the rest of the country.

Outermost Ohio, iirc.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 02, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on July 02, 2012, 03:43:39 PM

I'm really enjoying the video game, but I'm debating whether the actual film will be worth $4 plus 2 hours and 18 minutes of my time.

Where the heck can you see first runs for $4?  Even the matinee around here is $7 - and Iowa is usually cheaper than the rest of the country.

the local one screen theater only charges $4 a seat for any release, and they've been getting new releases this summer right away, like Avengers, Men in Black 3 and Brave.  I haven't been to the place yet myself, so I can't comment on the quality, but I'm sure it's not as fancy as most theaters.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 04, 2012, 12:11:06 PM »

Toting the momster to an early show today....

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 04, 2012, 01:17:05 PM »

I just got back from seeing it

The film was alright,nothing special,it lost a lot of the 'fun' from the first films

example-Spidey is pretty famous for his one liners or bating the bad guys,we pretty much don't get that here(you saw the only instance in the trailer with the Car Jacker),instead while in the earlier films it felt like he was toying with his enemies,Spidey with The Lizard feels a lot more dangerous,Spidey is a lot more fragile in this film...maybe that will appeal to some people,i guess not me

Special Effects were fine, again nothing to write home about,or maybe i am just not noticing as much

3D was rubbish,hardly noticeable at all,except the last minute of the film!!...as said seeing the Avengers last week and the trailer for this was much better for 3D,LOL

it was good seeing C.Thomas Howell on the big screen(WHERE HE BELONGS!!!)

Stan Lee's cameo was probably the best he has done

Andrew Garfield was alright...but i think i preferred Tobey Maguire

Maybe i took too much of the first lot of films into the cinema with me paranoid

i don't know,perhaps a kind 7 out of 10

even the post credit scene(which they have moved up to after the 'cast' credit scene,and not the whole lot like the same they did with The Avengers) was not really that great,sure it teased stuff to come...but wasn't very exciting

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 04, 2012, 01:35:05 PM »

Spiderman hasn't even has a post credit scene before has it?
Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: July 04, 2012, 01:38:02 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 04, 2012, 01:17:05 PM

example-Spidey is pretty famous for his one liners or bating the bad guys,we pretty much don't get that here(you saw the only instance in the trailer with the Car Jacker)

Disappointing. I remember that shot from the trailer and thought they might finally rectify it in this movie, since that's one of the things I loved so much about Spider-Man in the old comics. Strange that they're cautious about this, especially since cute one liners were in abundance in The Avengers (one of many reasons that movie was so excellent).
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 04, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 04, 2012, 01:35:05 PM

not that i can remember Hark,I am guessing it could be to do with the whole Avenger sequel rumour thing(and no,there's no hint of that in the scene....although what gets said,could make for a good plot/sub-plot for Avengers 2,hmm)

but then again Fantastic Four and DareDevil had one

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 04, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »

Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Wolverine: Origins are all Fox Studios and had post credit stuff.  Spiderman is Sony and I'm not sure they have ever done one.  Just an observation, not really that it matters.  Though it kinda does seem to show that perhaps Sony is looking more at the Marvel 'big picture'.

I am also disappoint at Spiderman's lack of wit and arrogance in fights.  Was hoping they would nail it.  I would LOVE to see a smart ass and arrogant Spidey and RDJ's Iron Man talking smack while fighting something.

These movies tend to make Spidey a much more likeable guy when the comics always strike me as he's kinda rough to like due to the verbal jabs.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 04, 2012, 01:59:13 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 04, 2012, 01:54:01 PM

These movies tend to make Spidey a much more likeable guy when the comics always strike me as he's kinda rough to like due to the verbal jabs.

Ahh,well the scene with the Car jacker,he did come off as a bit of a bellend icon_lol..mainly straight after that part you see in the trailer

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: July 04, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 04, 2012, 01:59:13 PM

Ahh,well the scene with the Car jacker,he did come off as a bit of a bellend icon_lol..mainly straight after that part you see in the trailer

I had to google what "bellend" was and LOL is what I say.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 04, 2012, 02:03:03 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on July 04, 2012, 02:00:16 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 04, 2012, 01:59:13 PM

I had to google what "bellend" was and LOL is what I say.

hehe, same
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 04, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »

sorry i wasn't thinking,i didn't know it was not used(the word that is) in U.S.  icon_lol

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 04, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »

Amazing Spider-Man does have a post credits scene.  Don't listen to metallicorphan.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 04, 2012, 02:18:15 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 04, 2012, 02:14:25 PM

Amazing Spider-Man does have a post credits scene.  Don't listen to metallicorphan.

he said it did, you didn't read it.  I was saying that none of the previous ones did.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 04, 2012, 03:01:27 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on July 04, 2012, 02:18:15 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on July 04, 2012, 02:14:25 PM

he said it did, you didn't read it.  I was saying that none of the previous ones did.

Oops!  I misread.  Tongue

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 04, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »

it's doing well,so far

Any concerns that audiences wouldn't turn out for another Spider-Man origin story were put to rest on Tuesday, as The Amazing Spider-Man earned a nearly-amazing $35 million in its opening day.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 04, 2012, 11:38:37 PM »

Saw it yesterday.  Didn't hate it, but raimi's version has nothing to fear in comparison.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #338 on: July 05, 2012, 02:27:05 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 04, 2012, 07:55:32 PM

it's doing well,so far

Any concerns that audiences wouldn't turn out for another Spider-Man origin story were put to rest on Tuesday, as The Amazing Spider-Man earned a nearly-amazing $35 million in its opening day.

Oh great. Now we can look forward to endless 'reboots' in the near future.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 05, 2012, 03:48:06 AM »

My mom and I quite enjoyed it. In fact, she loved it.

I enjoyed it more than I expected to. I think doing more of the Spidey-swinging via practical FX (and not 100% CGI like Raimi's films) works better in some ways, and Webb's film seems to more often make the swinging Spider-Man look more like the Spidey of some of the 1990s and 2000s comics.

In some ways Garfield seems much more appealing than Maguire (imho), and more believable in the suit simply because he's taller and a bigger build, and in the romance sequences. Emma Stone's a peach of course. They seem to have sparkling chemistry if not the wistfulness of Maguire and Dunst. I don't think of those two as bombshells per se, whereas Stone and Garfield are sort of va-va-voom. Which can make it a bit hard to believe Garfield (who's 28 in real life) as a geeky teen loner.

I guess it's kind of interesting that Maguire and Dunst had dated when they were younger (years before Spider-Man), but no offscreen romance re-kindled during Raimi's films. Whereas Garfield and Stone had never met each other and apparently became an item while working on this.

I am stumped by the post-credits sequence. Someone clue me in...
Spoiler for Hiden:
I couldn't see the guy's face and had no idea who was talking to Connors in his jail cell. Is that supposed to be Norman Osbourne talking to him? While I hope they don't just drag out the Green Goblin again, I think the revisionist tact of Iron Man the last few years -- where Norman Osbourne never became the Green Goblin and is instead a dangerous arms mercenary competing with Stark Enterprises -- could offer a different angle to take.

As far as Uncle Ben and Captain Stacy go, I really found Martin Sheen and Dennis Leary appealing but...
Spoiler for Hiden:
I think it was a mistaken to kill off Captain Stacy. I would've kept him so Spidey would have a police ally in this Spider 2.0 universe (a bit like him having a Commissioner Gordon). And I just think it's piling on to have Uncle Ben and Captain Stacy bit the dust in the same film.

I might've even had Aunt May killed off instead of Uncle Ben, or let Uncle Ben survive but badly wounded. If you're going to reboot, you might as well keep steering in different angles and see where that might lead.

I'm reminded of this Batman story in the comics where he saves his parents from the mugger in an alternate universe. And that Bruce Wayne still becomes Batman, but a version motivated by eternal gratiitude to the caped stranger who saves his parents.
I do think it was really not necessary to spend an hour going through Petey's transformation, back story etc. all over again; you could probably just tell that story in the opening credits (like how Spider-Man 3's opening credits use pix from the first two movies to quickly recap what happened).

I never felt bored though. Maybe that doesn't sound like much but it held my interest all the way through and I didn't suffer Prometheus Syndrome -- I didn't every 5 minutes think "why is that character being so stupid" or "how is that possible?" or "Why would they do that?"  icon_smile

I'm not sure I'll run back and see it 4 times but I might see it again. We saw it in 3-D at a Rave theater. It was fine. I don't think the 3-D added much aside from a couple sequences seen in the trailer (rooftop battle for example), and a few action scenes.

One amusing note: You know this movie is some sort of wistful Sony/Microsoft fantasy because:
-Every single character is using a Sony branded smartphone
-Every character using a computer uses a Sony VAIO

OMG, the geek in me just groaned at the whole Sony-ness of the movie...
-Peter conducts web (Haha!) searches using the ...BING! search engine
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:59:34 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 05, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »

for BlackJack
Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't know who the guy was in the shadows at the end either,looking on IMDB Q and A..it has this

Who is the man in the post credits scene covered by the shadows?

It's presumed to be the antagonist for the sequel. He was covered on purpose to remain ambiguous. Top contenders include possible Oscorp employees including Norman Osborn (the green goblin) or Otto Octavius. Other possibilities include Adrian Toomes (the vulture) or Mac Gargan (the scorpion).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 05, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 05, 2012, 10:29:34 AM

for BlackJack
Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't know who the guy was in the shadows at the end either,looking on IMDB Q and A..it has this

It's presumed to be the antagonist for the sequel. He was covered on purpose to remain ambiguous. Top contenders include possible Oscorp employees including Norman Osborn (the green goblin) or Otto Octavius. Other possibilities include Adrian Toomes (the vulture) or Mac Gargan (the scorpion).

I haven't seen the movie yet (watched the end credits scene on Youtube though), but there is this on IMDB:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Michael Massee   ...    Man in the Shadows

I'm leaning towards Mysterio or Chameleon
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:48:14 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 05, 2012, 05:54:32 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's zero clues as to who that mysterious figure in the jail cell was.  So I'm just going to assume it was legendary soul singer Barry White until proven wrong.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 05, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 05, 2012, 05:46:38 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 05, 2012, 10:29:34 AM

for BlackJack
Spoiler for Hiden:

I haven't seen the movie yet (watched the end credits scene on Youtube though), but there is this on IMDB:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Michael Massee   ...    Man in the Shadows

I'm leaning towards Mysterio or Chameleon

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just googled him and got his Wiki Page,apparently he was the one who 'shot' Brandon Lee!!

Looking into it more,i found that
Spoiler for Hiden:
People are suggesting that Curt Conners is being held at The Vault,which had a mass break out in the Marvel Universe,which was instigated by Loki,maybe get a few more bad guys thrown in there from the upcoming Iron Man,Thor,Incredible Hulk and Captain America Sequels,and perhaps that could be another storyline for Avengers 2

LOL,Hep  icon_biggrin

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 05, 2012, 06:10:39 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
well, Sony Pictures has Spiderman while Marvel has the Avengers, so it is doubtful that there would be any crossover between the two universes.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: July 05, 2012, 06:24:58 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on July 05, 2012, 06:10:39 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
well, Sony Pictures has Spiderman while Marvel has the Avengers, so it is doubtful that there would be any crossover between the two universes.

Spoiler for Hiden:
that's the current rumour that it WILL be happening,that Spidey is to be in Avengers 2

Google Search

and then Leo posted this picture in The Avengers Thread that was apparently taken after these Avengers 2/Spidey rumours broke

I still think maybe Andrew Garfield is teasing,too good to be true that picture TBH

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 05, 2012, 08:43:03 PM »

Off topic, I know...but does anyone remember an Onion article from years ago about a superhero whose powers would only work when he was naked?  He wore a mask and a cape, but nothing else.  Now, every time I see a superhero save someone from a burning car I recall the section of that article in which a woman was suing the hero because he kept rubbing his naked genitals against the driver side window of her car as he tried to carry the automobile off the side of the bridge it was teetering on.   icon_lol

God, I wish I could find that one.  It would ruin all superhero movies with that kind of scene for you as well...

JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 06, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »

I'm surprised to say I liked this better than Spider-Man 1 or 3 but it doesn't come close the the awesomeness of Spider-Man 2.

Good reboot, even if it was unnecessary. Looking forward to a sequel.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 08, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »

How was this for younger kids? After a lot of discussion (and seeing it before) we took our kid to avengers and he loved it and we felt pretty comfortable about it. How does this compare? 

Kid is a little young, but he is insane about superheroes, and spiderman is his favorite (well, until he saw iron man in avengers, anyway).
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 08, 2012, 05:40:14 PM »

yeah take him,some of the Lizard fights are a bit more tense than the fights in the last trilogy(Gigantic Angry Lizard always seems to come at you at the screen....hmm,maybe i noticed the 3D afterall),but still.. kids can take anything these days

The film is darker than The Avengers though

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: July 09, 2012, 03:19:58 AM »

I'd disagree.  I thought it was much rougher for children than the Avengers. 

Spoiler for plot:
Just the first scene of Peter's parents abandoning him could cause nightmares.  Then we witness the pretty bloody deaths of Uncle Ben and Capt Stacy both clearly loving father figures.  Add in Gwen's hiding scene and the child nearly consumed in the car fire, I think it's asking too much of a young child.  The movie is much darker than the previous Spiderman movies or the Avengers.

Overall, I was surprised at how effective the movie was.  I'd put it about on par with Thor for modern comic films.  I'd look forward to another entry into this series especially with a more mature and confident (cocky?) Spiderman.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: July 10, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »

Toby is snivelling and his "wisecracks" seem ... passive-agressive, I guess? Garfield looks to have some capacity to drive character development, and while I miss the dottering Aunt May, I thought that Fields did a really good job. I too felt that

Spoiler for Hiden:
Killing off Stacy was too far - he was by far the best "reality check" in the movie.

I did enjoy this movie - I found Gwen to be far more engaging, but pound-for-pound, the original three are fine (with 3 scenes being pulled it takes out the WTF from Spidey3).

If they're willing to retell stories - I look forward to Venom being done RIGHT - it should happen after a Secret Wars movie.

I do recommend seeing this film. I agree with it being on-par with Thor.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 10, 2012, 08:33:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 10, 2012, 08:12:48 PM

If they're willing to retell stories - I look forward to Venom being done RIGHT - it should happen after a Secret Wars movie.

*Disclaimer: I haven't seen the movie.

I always thought The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon handled the whole symbiote thing way better than the movie. In the cartoon, the alien accidentally attached itself to the space shuttle being piloted by J. Jonah Jameson's son. When they came back to earth, it was discovered to be an alien life form and moved to the university where Peter Parker was studying. The Black Cat was trying to steal it or something else from the lab (can't remember), and he inadvertently opens the chamber where it's being held and it attaches itself to him.

That would be an easy way for them to introduce the symbiote without needing additional movies or having stupid alien asteroids accidentally landing next to Peter.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 10, 2012, 08:50:58 PM »

If the writing talent used for the reboot has their way, I'm sure the symbiote will actually be an invention of Parker's long lost dad.  That or the mother.  In any case, they're going to try their damnedest to tie it all to Peter...no matter how silly it seems.  
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:56:28 PM by hepcat » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 10, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 10, 2012, 08:50:58 PM

If the writing talent used for the reboot has their way, I'm sure the symbiote will actually be an invention of Parker's long lost dad.  That or the mother.  In any case, they're going to try their damnedest to tie it all to Peter...no matter how silly it seems.  

it'll be synthesized from the afterbirth from when Peter was born.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 10, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »

Watched this last night and while I expected to enjoy it, I didn't think I would really like it, but I did!  Great movie, imo.  Actors were really good, the story changes were really good.  Great take on Spidey!  
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 11, 2012, 01:57:53 AM »

Just watched it myself.  OK, not great.  I liked Macguires Spidey a lot more then Garfields.  The kid may have looks but his acting was IMHO the weakest part of the film.  Too much angsty brooding.   Stone's Stacy was excellent, which made Garfield look even worse by comparison.  The movie itself, seemed like it wanted to be a hybrid of The Dark Knight and The Avengers in style and thus seemed uneven.  The special effects were done quite well and Lee's cameo was definitely his best.  Bottom line, the movies worth watching but it wasnt as good as either Raimi's  Spiderman 1 or 2

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 12, 2012, 02:27:07 PM »

I watched it last night as well and have to agree with rshetts2.  It was fine but it didn't blow me away by any stretch. 

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: