http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:32:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Amazing Spider-Man  (Read 17644 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2010, 01:30:29 AM »

Yeah, my guess is that they're doing an incredible hulk.  remaking it now that the licensing gives them more freedom to interact with other marvel characters.  marvel seems to have an end goal of being a movie studio as well as a comics publisher at this point.  can't say that I blame them since it's definitely more lucrative.  i'm just sorry to see a franchise that started off with so much integrity start from scratch.  hopefully they'll continue hiring decent directors a la favreau and branagh, though.  i'll reserve my judgement on the end results until i see them, while applauding raimi for keeping true to himself.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2010, 01:38:29 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 13, 2010, 01:30:29 AM

Yeah, my guess is that they're doing an incredible hulk.  remaking it now that the licensing gives them more freedom to interact with other marvel characters.  marvel seems to have an end goal of being a movie studio as well as a comics publisher at this point.  can't say that I blame them since it's definitely more lucrative.  i'm just sorry to see a franchise that started off with so much integrity start from scratch.  hopefully they'll continue hiring decent directors a la favreau and branagh, though.  i'll reserve my judgement on the end results until i see them, while applauding raimi for keeping true to himself.

Marvel doesn't have the license to Spider Man though, so he'll never be in those movies with the Marvel Studio ones like Iron Man, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk.  AFAIK Spider Man is still with Sony/Columbia, that's part of the reason for the studio dropping Raimi and going with the reboot.  If Sony doesn't make a Spider Man movie in x amount of time, they lose the rights back to Marvel.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2010, 03:00:27 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 13, 2010, 01:38:29 AM

Quote from: hepcat on January 13, 2010, 01:30:29 AM

Marvel doesn't have the license to Spider Man though, so he'll never be in those movies with the Marvel Studio ones like Iron Man, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk.  AFAIK Spider Man is still with Sony/Columbia, that's part of the reason for the studio dropping Raimi and going with the reboot.  If Sony doesn't make a Spider Man movie in x amount of time, they lose the rights back to Marvel.

ah, my mistake.  i thought marvel had bought back all their characters a little while ago.  i looked it up because i was curious and noticed that marvel has sued sony and tried to get the licensing revoked.  seems like it's a point of contention between them.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2010, 05:18:08 AM »

looks like Marc Webb is the new director.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2010, 06:00:24 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 20, 2010, 05:18:08 AM

looks like Marc Webb is the new director.

Huh, he most recently directed (500) Days of Summer.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2010, 06:04:52 AM »

That was a good movie.  But then I'm partial to Zooey.  Don't exactly know how that translates into a new Spider-Man movie...

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2010, 06:07:55 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on January 20, 2010, 06:04:52 AM

That was a good movie.  But then I'm partial to Zooey.  Don't exactly know how that translates into a new Spider-Man movie...

That echoes my unspoken thoughts exactly.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2010, 11:23:46 AM »

Well, a lot of people thought McGwire would be a terrible Spiderman (myself included) and he was perfect. So maybe they'll strike gold again.

Also, 500 Days of Summer is one of the best movies of the decade.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2010, 01:06:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 12, 2010, 11:25:34 PM

I just worry a "reboot" will cast Parker as a snotty punk with "edgy" appeal, totally beside the point for the character. I mean, the first Spidey movie came out in 2002, and now they already want to 'reboot' the character?  icon_confused

I doubt that'll happen.

High School is where Spidey started and spent many, many years.  One of the reasons Spidey resonates so strongly is that, underneath the mask, he's a regular guy.  Then his body goes through these changes, and after some awkward time adjusting, he gets in tune with it.  It's a perfect description of teen years, and it's why Stan Lee set his stories in high school.  When the setting works well, there are nice parallels between these incredible battles and smaller battles in school (bullies, temptations, peer pressure, hormones, etc).  It's fertile ground, and writers (especially Bendis in the Ultimate line) have been making good use of it since the character began.

Of course, that doesn't mean that a studio-controlled flick with a talented but under-the-thumb director on his first "big" movie is going to work.  But I still think there are enough clearly defined expectations for the character that they're not going to suddenly make Peter Parker the cool kid (or goth kid or kid in the fedora) in his school.  Awkward average kid with smarts seems to just fit the mold.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 20, 2010, 11:23:46 AM

Well, a lot of people thought McGwire would be a terrible Spiderman (myself included) and he was perfect. So maybe they'll strike gold again.

One thing that Spider-Man 3 showed was that they made the wrong choice in not casting Topher Grace as Peter Parker.
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »

Will be interesting to see the final product when it comes out, but I can't get the word "Twilight" out of my head as I read about Sony's new move.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »

Zooey Deschanel would be a fine Mary Jane Watson, if you ask me. But I'm about 99.99% she has no interest in doing a comic book film, period. Though if she loved working with Webb, who knows?

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2010, 11:25:35 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 20, 2010, 11:22:55 PM

Zooey Deschanel would be a fine Mary Jane Watson, if you ask me. But I'm about 99.99% she has no interest in doing a comic book film, period. Though if she loved working with Webb, who knows?

Well she did do Hitchhiker's.  But I'm thinking she's too old for what they want anyway. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »

Clive Owen as Kraven the Hunter????  Rumors swirling on AICN
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2010, 05:22:42 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 25, 2010, 05:18:57 PM

Clive Owen as Kraven the Hunter????  Rumors swirling on AICN

Clive Owen can play anyone he damn well pleases.   icon_smile  That guy's great.  I still think he would've made a great Bond (although Craig knocks it out of the park now).

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2010, 05:23:26 PM »

I just re-watched Spider Man 2, and Toby reminds me of Gollum with hair.

I think Dolph would have made a better Peter Parker... Maguire is way too snivelling.

Also, there was a lot of pointlessness in Spider Man 2. There was too many villains in #3.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »

I disagree.  I think McGuire is a fantastic Peter Parker.  He's an actor's actor.  He captures the essence of the comic character with ease (well, at least in 1 and 2).

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 25, 2010, 05:24:39 PM

I disagree.  I think McGuire is a fantastic Peter Parker.  He's an actor's actor.  He captures the essence of the comic character with ease (well, at least in 1 and 2).

what?...you didn't like his dance moves in 3? icon_lol

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 25, 2010, 05:24:39 PM

Agreed.

Quote from: Purge on January 25, 2010, 05:23:26 PM

Also, there was a lot of pointlessness in Spider Man 2.

I don't know that I would call it pointlessness, but there are things that bug me about the storyline in the movie when I go back and watch it now, such as how he loses his powers.  He didn't want to be Spider-Man, so he loses his powers?  Really?  His DNA was altered by the spider bite.  That would be like me saying that I no longer wanted to see, and I'd wake up with no sight.  There were small things like that throughout the movie that could have been handled a bit better, IMO.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2010, 06:51:50 PM »

He didn't come across as overly smart - he was just as much detective as he was scientist.

I dunno - different strokes, I suppose. I found that Harry Osborne's role in the second movie was wasted.

Now I'm afraid to re-watch Spider Man.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2010, 09:23:39 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 25, 2010, 06:51:50 PM

He didn't come across as overly smart - he was just as much detective as he was scientist.

I dunno - different strokes, I suppose. I found that Harry Osborne's role in the second movie was wasted.

Now I'm afraid to re-watch Spider Man.

i thought he came across as very smart from the opening seconds of the first movie to the final scenes of the 2nd movie (in the third movie everything took a backseat to the deluge of villains).  as you say, different strokes...but i doubt they could have cast a better actor in the role of Peter Parker.  Critics and audiences both love him.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 25, 2010, 09:23:39 PM

i thought he came across as very smart from the opening seconds of the first movie to the final scenes of the 2nd movie (in the third movie everything took a backseat to the deluge of villains).  as you say, different strokes...but i doubt they could have cast a better actor in the role of Peter Parker.  Critics and audiences both love him.

Other than Norman Osborn asking him if he wanted to come work for him, I don't remember much mention of his intelligence in the first one.  The second one they did when he met Octavius for the first time and had dinner with he and his wife.

And in the third one, the black suit turned him into a dancing idiot.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2010, 10:46:19 PM »

Did you need him to wear a button that read "SUPER GENIUS" in huge red letters?   icon_lol

They made more than one mention in both movies that he was incredibly intelligent (the aformentioned osborne scene, dr. lizard telling him he was his most promising student, being called an egghead repeatedly by his classmates, etc.).  The movie and the comic book are called "Spiderman" though, and not "Stephen Hawking".

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2010, 11:25:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 25, 2010, 10:46:19 PM

Did you need him to wear a button that read "SUPER GENIUS" in huge red letters?   icon_lol

They made more than one mention in both movies that he was incredibly intelligent (the aformentioned osborne scene, dr. lizard telling him he was his most promising student, being called an egghead repeatedly by his classmates, etc.).  The movie and the comic book are called "Spiderman" though, and not "Stephen Hawking".

note that I didn't say they needed to say it anymore than they did.  slywink

I thought they handled it well, especially in the 2nd one.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2010, 12:49:01 AM »

I know...i just really want a superhero movie based on Stephen Hawking.   icon_frown

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2010, 01:11:54 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 26, 2010, 12:49:01 AM

I know...i just really want a superhero movie based on Stephen Hawking.   icon_frown

'What do they call you? Wheels?'

Because I can,
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2010, 02:20:44 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 26, 2010, 01:11:54 AM

Quote from: hepcat on January 26, 2010, 12:49:01 AM

'What do they call you? Wheels?'

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2010, 12:58:57 PM »

Since when did Professor X have a cat? Does he pet it all evilly now like Dr. Claw or something? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2010, 02:11:38 PM »

D'uh! Its an artists rendering, okay? Not a real photo...

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2010, 03:02:41 PM »

the cat is probably another superhero. smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 25, 2010, 10:46:19 PM

The movie and the comic book are called "Spiderman" though, and not "Stephen Hawking".

Actually..

that would be Spider-man, not Spiderman. I recall him mentioning that "Spider-Man is two words and not one" during a sound clip in the third game.

And Toby Maguire is a little emo pansy. It really was only a matter of time until he broke out into dance.

Once you've seen three, go watch two again. Enjoy the deep sunken eyeballs, the pasty nature of his mental block preventing his spider skills from manifesting, etc.

The Spider-man world is so rich with good stories, and instead it feels ... overwrought. Beside Iron-Man (which wasn't all that complex of a story), only Raimi's first movie and Doc-Oc were, for me, worth that kind of praise.

Lastly, Peter spends a lot of time working on his webbing gadgets to be able to conquer his different enemies. His bedroom is laboratory, not some place for timid immigrant daughters of his landlord to come over with chocolate cake. I still don't get the importance of those moments. It's like having a boring elevator scene in the middle of a car chase that has no relation to action at all.

I'm just glad Raimi didn't decide to include a real look at super-hero challenges like constipation, or watching TV cross-legged and having Peter's foot fall asleep.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:49:28 PM by Purge » Logged

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2010, 05:19:57 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on January 26, 2010, 12:58:57 PM

Since when did Professor X have a cat? Does he pet it all evilly now like Dr. Claw or something? biggrin

I like how he made sure he had the off-road treads on before venturing into the woods.

morlac00 on PSN
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2010, 02:18:59 PM »

Now they're saying it'll be in 3-D:
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/02/10/spider-man-3d/?hpt=Sbin
Sony Pictures announced today that the next iteration of Spider-Man will be heading to theaters in 3-D on July 3, 2012.
Apparently, the costume color will be changed to blue, and Sigourney Weaver's going to play Aunt May.  Roll Eyes I hope I'm joking...

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2010, 03:22:49 PM »

I don't think that's purely an Avatar thing (though that movies sales have probably helped).  It feels like every big movie coming out is going to have a 3D component.  And that was happening before Avatar came out.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2010, 03:25:16 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 11, 2010, 03:22:49 PM

I don't think that's purely an Avatar thing (though that movies sales have probably helped).  It feels like every big movie coming out is going to have a 3D component.  And that was happening before Avatar came out.

yeah, i've heard the Deathly Hallows will have some 3D and the girls dressing up as a furry wearing blue body paint.

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 27, 2010, 05:22:50 PM »

Short list of actors they're considering as the new spidey

I don't really like any of them except for Jamie Bell.  He may be a little older than the rest but he's definitely a good actor.

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on May 27, 2010, 05:22:50 PM

I don't really like any of them except for Jamie Bell.  He may be a little older than the rest but he's definitely a good actor.

+1 for Jamie Bell.  Seems like a great fit for the new spidey IMHO

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2010, 05:45:03 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on May 27, 2010, 05:28:49 PM

Quote from: hepcat on May 27, 2010, 05:22:50 PM

+1 for Jamie Bell.  Seems like a great fit for the new spidey IMHO

even at 24, he looks the part best.  Alden looks like a young Leo, so that won't work for peter unless they are making him into a jock/bad boy. Frank could do it if he can lose the emo look and is probably the next best to jamie. andrew, too old looking for high school.  josh looks like the bully, but it's not completely impossible.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2010, 11:43:13 PM »

yeah i am in for Jamie Bell,i can't believe it is only 10 years since he came onto the scene with Billy Elliot....he also plays Tin Tin in the upcoming Spielberg film

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2010, 05:26:29 PM »

what?  no emo Peter Parker?  Tongue

add me to the list of thinking Jamie Bell should be the new non-emo Spidey.

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: