http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 10:55:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Amazing Spider-Man  (Read 16476 times)
ScubaV
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 03:01:19 PM »

I wonder how this relates to Raimi doing the Warcraft movie?  Is Warcraft coming out first, or will he not even start it until Spiderman 4 is done?

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 06:07:45 PM »

Supposedly, he still can't convince the suits to do Connor/Lizard, as they can't get past the idea of not having a human face on a major villain (which is why Spidey's mask always gets torn up by the end of the films).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 04:59:12 AM »

looks like trouble in paradise.  it sounds like Sony needs to back off and let Raimi do his thing otherwise we may end up with another musical number....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 04:56:40 PM »

*Spider sense tingling....bad movie coming*
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »

I like the fact that Sam Raimi is fighting the studio to get the story and the villain that he wants. Studio suits more often than not don't know squat about creativity or a good story. They want Raimi to shoe-horn the Black Cat into the script. Raimi wants to go on a high note with SM4. I hope he wins his fight! SM3 was such a low-note of a movie due to the studio's insistence in putting Venom in that movie.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2010, 05:23:35 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 06, 2010, 05:08:58 PM

I like the fact that Sam Raimi is fighting the studio to get the story and the villain that he wants. Studio suits more often than not don't know squat about creativity or a good story. They want Raimi to shoe-horn the Black Cat into the script. Raimi wants to go on a high note with SM4. I hope he wins his fight! SM3 was such a low-note of a movie due to the studio's insistence in putting Venom in that movie.

I agree to the point that the title for this thread actually bothers me.  Raimi knows what he's doing.  It's the suits that need to learn the lesson.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 06, 2010, 04:59:12 AM

looks like trouble in paradise.  it sounds like Sony needs to back off and let Raimi do his thing otherwise we may end up with another musical number....

I am sure the movie would be better if the backed off but they are the ones paying for it so I bet they will win in the end.

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2010, 07:44:50 PM »

SM3 was such a low-note of a movie due to the studio's insistence in putting Venom in that movie.

Adding Venom to the movie certainly brought the quality of the film down, but I don't blame only the studio here. Venom is the most popular villain for Spider Man, at least for the past 20 years or so. His story is one that many want to see put to film. I don't think the studio was wrong for trying to get Raimi to include a character that the audience wanted to see.

At the same time though, Raimi was putting together a story with a specific theme in mind, and adding Venom just didn't work. The studios insisted, and it seems like Raimi just threw his hands up, and ruined the character as a way to "get back" at the studio.

Of course, this is all speculation. But it's clear Raimi did not want to include Venom, he didn't understand the character, and he threw him in at the last minute.

I said it then, and I still believe it now. The right thing to do was write Eddie Brock into the movie, along with the black suit. I think the dual stories of Spidey being corrupted by the power of the black suit and Sandman abusing his power to help his daughter work together nicely. Then, have Spiderman defeat Sandman using the suit, but realize he needs to get rid of it (or something along those lines). Keep the bell tower scene where Spiderman gets rid of the suit, and it finds Eddie Brock who was praying for Parker to be killed. But don't show Venom until the very last shot of the film. Cut to a priest hearing a sound from that chamber. He opens the door and sees something in the shadow. The priests, terrified, asks "Who are you?". Then you hear, "We are Venom" as Venom comes lunging out of the shadows toward the camera.

Maybe Raimi did a script that was a compromise between being allowed to tell his story, but also appeasing the studios, and it was rejected. Either way, fault can't go to solely one party or the other. It's clear they weren't able to reach a solid compromise, so I blame both parties equally.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2010, 08:07:45 PM »

I wish they had used msteelers treatment, because I love Venom of the comic and the movie one sucked.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2010, 09:11:25 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on January 06, 2010, 07:44:50 PM

SM3 was such a low-note of a movie due to the studio's insistence in putting Venom in that movie.

Adding Venom to the movie certainly brought the quality of the film down, but I don't blame only the studio here. Venom is the most popular villain for Spider Man, at least for the past 20 years or so. His story is one that many want to see put to film. I don't think the studio was wrong for trying to get Raimi to include a character that the audience wanted to see.

At the same time though, Raimi was putting together a story with a specific theme in mind, and adding Venom just didn't work. The studios insisted, and it seems like Raimi just threw his hands up, and ruined the character as a way to "get back" at the studio.

Of course, this is all speculation. But it's clear Raimi did not want to include Venom, he didn't understand the character, and he threw him in at the last minute.

I said it then, and I still believe it now. The right thing to do was write Eddie Brock into the movie, along with the black suit. I think the dual stories of Spidey being corrupted by the power of the black suit and Sandman abusing his power to help his daughter work together nicely. Then, have Spiderman defeat Sandman using the suit, but realize he needs to get rid of it (or something along those lines). Keep the bell tower scene where Spiderman gets rid of the suit, and it finds Eddie Brock who was praying for Parker to be killed. But don't show Venom until the very last shot of the film. Cut to a priest hearing a sound from that chamber. He opens the door and sees something in the shadow. The priests, terrified, asks "Who are you?". Then you hear, "We are Venom" as Venom comes lunging out of the shadows toward the camera.

Maybe Raimi did a script that was a compromise between being allowed to tell his story, but also appeasing the studios, and it was rejected. Either way, fault can't go to solely one party or the other. It's clear they weren't able to reach a solid compromise, so I blame both parties equally.

I like your scenario lots. I think I meant to say, above, that SM3 was a low-note because of 'too many villains' syndrome. Venom would have worked well as the sole villain in SM4 if they had set it up that way.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2010, 10:00:28 PM »

Personally, what I loved about Spider-Man 2 (which along with TDK and IM is among my favorites) was its singular focus on one villain, and an interesting, simmering sub-plot (Harry Osborn and his father's, well, ghost). I'd say similar about TDK and IM. I also loved that the actor playing Doc Ock wasn't someone you'd expect (Alfred Molina, better known as Indy's traitorous hired help in Raiders of the Lost Ark's beginning sequence), just as I never saw Jeff Bridges as being a comic book villain type for IM but he worked nicely imho.

I'm hoping I'll love Iron Man 2, but the movie smells of stunt-casting (Mickey Rourke!! Scarlett Johansson!!!) and introducing too many characters (Whiplash! War Machine! Black Widow!), and probably not leaving much screen time for the title character or a coherent story. That's what I didn't like about Spider-Man 3, and I'm still not all that convinced Spidey 4 will avoid that particular trap, or that the studio powers-that-be won't force something on Raimi that's against his wishes or better judgement.

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2010, 10:37:03 PM »

Sony scraps plans for 'Spider-Man 4'!! Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire are out!!! They will re-boot the franchise!  eek eek saywhat
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:48:36 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 11, 2010, 10:37:03 PM

How about you post a link that works?  

Like this perhaps?

Also, Hollywood has gone reboot-happy.  It is the new sequel.  It is pretty ridiculous to reboot something that isn't that old to begin with.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:44:45 PM by The Grue » Logged

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2010, 10:43:47 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on October 21, 2009, 01:04:21 AM

Throw in Kraven the Hunter! (I'd really prefer other villains, but maybe as a humorous subplot... could be Bruce Campbell's role or something icon_wink )

Bruce Campbell would make a great Mysterio.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2010, 10:44:21 PM »

I don't see what good a reboot will do.  I don't want to watch an Origin story again.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2010, 10:45:25 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 11, 2010, 10:42:31 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 11, 2010, 10:37:03 PM

How about you post a link that works?  

Like this perhaps?

Sorry about that. I should have checked it before posting. Deadline.com has the worst links on the whole net.

I put quotation marks around the link. My bad. Still not quite use to the GT board sofware.  confused

edited to add: Fixed the original link.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:48:57 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2010, 11:10:42 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 11, 2010, 10:44:21 PM

I don't see what good a reboot will do.  I don't want to watch an Origin story again.

they could always do like what they did with the Incredible Hulk and leave it out.  relegate the origin to flashbacks during the credits.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2010, 11:21:28 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 11, 2010, 11:10:42 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on January 11, 2010, 10:44:21 PM

they could always do like what they did with the Incredible Hulk and leave it out.  relegate the origin to flashbacks during the credits.

Yeah, but he's back in high school. It's. Gonna. Blow.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2010, 11:43:02 PM »

Wow.  That's awful.  Such a dumb move.  They'll be begging for Raimi back after this debacle.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2010, 11:54:58 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on January 11, 2010, 11:43:02 PM

Wow.  That's awful.  Such a dumb move.  They'll be begging for Raimi back after this debacle.

I'm not so sure.  I can't go back and watch the original Spider Man as it is just a bit too hokey/cartoony, or something.  I enjoyed it the first time around, but it could definitely be done better.  Two was similar and as a result of that and the bad Venom press, I never saw 3.  I can't put my finger on exactly what bothered me to give me those impressions, but it's there.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2010, 12:29:21 AM »

Hmm, seems like delaying another year for a reboot isn't really a solution for not meeting May 2011. In any case, I think this stinks. While 3 wasn't great, I'm sure I trust Raimi more than most to make the next one.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2010, 02:35:10 AM »

As long as they don't waste half the movie explaining how he gets his powers, and the story is good, I'm ok with it.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2010, 04:01:21 AM »

Here's the press release.  I think they have to move on making a movie or the rights go back to Marvel if it sits idle.  Good news is that they can do Venom correctly, now.

Culver City, CA (January 11, 2010) -- Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012.

Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.

The new chapter in the Spider-Man franchise produced by Columbia, Marvel Studios and Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, will have a new cast and filmmaking team. Spider-Man 4 was to have been released in 2011, but had not yet gone into production.

“A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire and together we made three Spider-Man films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the box-office and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise. Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We’re very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning,” said Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

“Working on the Spider-Man movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job,” said Sam Raimi.

“We have had a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration and friendship with Sam and Tobey and they have given us their best for the better part of the last decade. This is a bittersweet moment for us because while it is hard to imagine Spider-Man in anyone else’s hands, I know that this was a day that was inevitable,” said Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, who has served as the studio’s chief production executive since the beginning of the franchise. “Now everything begins anew, and that’s got us all tremendously excited about what comes next. Under the continuing supervision of Avi and Laura, we have a clear vision for the future of Spider-Man and can’t wait to share this exciting new direction with audiences in 2012.”

"Spider-Man will always be an important franchise for Sony Pictures and a fresh start like this is a responsibility that we all take very seriously," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures. "We have always believed that story comes first and story guides the direction of these films and as we move onto the next chapter, we will stay true to that principle and will do so with the highest respect for the source material and the fans and moviegoers who deserve nothing but the best when it comes to bringing these stories and characters to life on the big screen."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2010, 04:23:50 AM »

This is sort of like the Ultimate Spider-Man series, where Peter's a young guy.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2010, 04:31:19 AM »

I liked a lot of the first Spider-Man (Maguire and J.K. Simmons primarily) but I don't think it's aged very well and it sort of dies about 2/3 of the way through. Spider-Man 2, though, I passionately love. Magnificent adventure story full of action, great characters, terrific writing, strong drama, and absolutely hysterical (Simmons again). The third film can be summed up by the gif of Maguire gettin' down with his bad self while dressed in black. Yeah, it was really that bad (despite Simmons' best efforts). If they're rebooting the series completely then I agree they should go The Incredible Hulk route and bypass the origin story. Hopefully that's how they're going but since the suits are hell-bent on getting a Spider-Man out in two years, anything is possible. Including more musical numbers, I'm sure.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2010, 05:22:46 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 20, 2009, 04:19:04 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 20, 2009, 04:17:17 PM

I used Two Face as an example because DK was a superior movie.  I think they could have acheived the same effect Pete mentions without throwing another villain onto the fire.  Frankly, it reduced Two-Face's origin to something poignant yet, in the end, meaningless in and of itself.  It's a good story-line that could have filled a whole other movie.   Additionally, the Joker was such a standout that anything else was a let-down after.  This may have been better served by moving the Dent wrap-up to somewhere before the Joker gets captured.

Don't get me wrong, I think DK is a fantastic movie.  I don't think Two-Face being in there ruins it, necessarily.  I do think some studio head somewhere said, "No, this is a sequel, we need two villains, at least" and they made the best of it.  But I also think Two Face got underutilized as a result.

they did have 2 villains in the first movie: Ras al Ghul and Scarecrow.

The new Batman movies thankfully bucked the (incomprehensible) trend of introducing and killing off the main bad guy in each installment.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2010, 02:16:13 PM »

Out!
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 12, 2010, 04:23:50 AM

This is sort of like the Ultimate Spider-Man series, where Peter's a young guy.

They sort of did the same thing in the main Marvel continuity, too.

I recall one of the big Marvel writers (Bendis, maybe) saying it was hard to write married, aging Spidey.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2010, 02:35:51 PM »

What an odd choice.  They basically had a blockbuster or as close to a sure thing as possible in Hollywood and they tossed it away.  I can't imagine suits being willing to take that risk so I bet Rami must have just said FU! and walked because they wouldn't do his story idea. 

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2010, 02:39:55 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 12, 2010, 02:35:51 PM

What an odd choice.  They basically had a blockbuster or as close to a sure thing as possible in Hollywood and they tossed it away.  I can't imagine suits being willing to take that risk so I bet Rami must have just said FU! and walked because they wouldn't do his story idea. 

I've gotten the impression that the studio and Raimi didn't like each other very much. After he went around and blamed the studio for the piss poor story in #3, the thought of starting over probably started to look pretty good to Sony.

As it is, I imagine anything with "Spider Man" in the title is going to have some sort of box office success.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »

I hear David Radcliffe is going to be free soon....

Because I can,
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2010, 03:21:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 12, 2010, 03:17:00 PM

do you mean "daniel"? 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2010, 03:21:55 PM »

Does this mean they're going to re-do the origin story?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2010, 03:23:52 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on January 12, 2010, 03:21:22 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 12, 2010, 03:17:00 PM

do you mean "daniel"? 

no, David, Daniel's lesser known twin brother.

paranoid

Because I can,
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »

I think he meant David Hasslehoff who is leaving America's got talent.

Now that would be a reboot!
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2010, 04:47:02 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 12, 2010, 03:32:29 PM

I lol'd.

Rick
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on January 12, 2010, 04:47:02 PM

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 12, 2010, 03:32:29 PM

I lol'd.

Rick

Does whatever a spider can.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2010, 11:25:34 PM »

I just worry a "reboot" will cast Parker as a snotty punk with "edgy" appeal, totally beside the point for the character. I mean, the first Spidey movie came out in 2002, and now they already want to 'reboot' the character?  icon_confused

Chris Nolan and his screenwriters seemed to enjoy carte blanche on their two Batman projects, meaning no studio interference from WB, and no outsiders telling them what kind of Batman story to tell. It's a shame Raimi didn't get the same freedom (assuming the various reports are true). Probably they just didn't trust him not to do a "Spider-Man Evil Dead" mash up.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2010, 01:00:32 AM »

To me it sounds like reboot might just refer to a production reboot, and not a story reboot.  So new script, new actor, new director, new direction, but maybe not going back to the beginning of the franchise plot again.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2010, 01:06:08 AM »

Quote from: kathode on January 13, 2010, 01:00:32 AM

To me it sounds like reboot might just refer to a production reboot, and not a story reboot.  So new script, new actor, new director, new direction, but maybe not going back to the beginning of the franchise plot again.

Well their press release says:

Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.

So it sounds like they're going back to the beginning.  At least to a time before Spider Man 3 timeline ended in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: