http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:42:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spider Man 3 Villian cast...but who is the villian?  (Read 2762 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2005, 04:58:04 PM »

Got this in my inbox this morning.  There's no mention of who it could be.  Based on looks alone I say Venom or Sandman.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

OSCAR NOMINEE THOMAS HADEN CHURCH CAST AS
THE NEW NEMESIS IN SONY PICTURES' AND MARVEL STUDIOS' "SPIDER-MAN 3"

Latest Adventure set to debut worldwide on May 4, 2007

CULVER CITY, CA March 22, 2005 - Thomas Haden Church, who was most recently nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in "Sideways", has been cast as Spider-Man's new archenemy in the next chapter of the "Spider-Man" adventure, it was announced by director Sam Raimi and producers Laura Ziskin and Marvel Studios' Avi Arad.

"Spider-Man  3", which is scheduled for release on May 4, 2007, will reunite the successful team that was responsible for the first two blockbuster films. The franchise has grossed more than $1.5 billion in worldwide ticket sales and the new film will again reteam director Raimi, producers Ziskin and Arad, and actors Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Kirsten Dunst as M.J..

Production on "Spider-Man 3" is scheduled to begin early next year.

"In addition to the on-going relationship between Peter Parker and M.J., these films are driven by the great actors who have brought our villains to life," said Raimi. "Thomas Haden Church will be a fantastic and challenging new nemesis and we all look forward to working with him."

The identity of the new villain is being kept secret and while speculation is  rampant about which character is being called into action, the studio will not comment on the casting beyond confirming Church.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 05:01:19 PM »

Well, they had Eddie Brock in the first Spider-Man movie...so unless they're doing the different person doing the same character thing, I'm going against Venom.

My bet is Scorpion.  Thomas Hayden Church looks somewhat like the character and it would enable them to tie in J. Jonah and John Jameson (Man-Wolf) to the story.  Chances are if this is the case that Lizard will be showing up as well with the same guy reprising Curt Conners role.

The other line of thinking would be totally jumping over Venom and making Church be Carnage.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 05:06:29 PM »

So, based on the ending of the last movie (warning, spoilers ahead), I'm guessing that there will actually be two villians in the next movie - whoever this new villian is and the second Green Goblin?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 05:08:32 PM »

Here is the guy who was cast as Eddie Brock in Spider-Man:

http://imdb.com/name/nm0263472/

Considering that he was uncredited, I think that they could go with this new guy.

I forgot about the guy who played Dr. Connors, so the Lizard is out.  Scorpion didn't cross my mind either.  What about Electro?  What about the guy with the sound blasting gauntlets?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 05:09:41 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
So, based on the ending of the last movie (warning, spoilers ahead), I'm guessing that there will actually be two villians in the next movie - whoever this new villian is and the second Green Goblin?

I hope they leave the second green goblin out.  Two villians is one too many.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 05:21:34 PM »

You're thinking of Shocker.  The only reason I bring up Scorpion is because he could be considered a first-tier Spider villain whereas Elektro and Shocker would be second tier ones and don't really have the history Scorpion has.  Granted, Scorpion is nothing compared to Green Goblin and Doc Ock in backstory, but I think he fits well because J. Jonah helped create him.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 05:42:41 PM »

Why couldn't he be Brock? Did the other actor have any screen time? I thought he was just casually mentioned. In fact, I'd be surprised if Raimi had someone play Brock as a bit part in the first movie, simply because he'd muck up his own internal continuity, and he's way too smart to just throw away that character.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 05:49:39 PM »

Yes, there is a scene where J. Jonah is talking to Brock (I don't remember if Brock says anything or not) and then Peter walks in at the Daily Bugle.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 06:36:31 PM »

Which character did Ted Raimi play? smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 10:59:19 PM »

I doubt it would be Venom.  Sam Raimi does not like Venom and said the only way he'd do it was if Avi Arad absolutely forced him.    Personally I'm thinking Hobgoblin, but some people have said Kraven.  Uh uh, no way Church as Kraven.  Adrian Paul maybe, not the mechanic from Wings.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 11:55:48 PM »

Hobgoblin could be it, but I think it's just too close to the GG for most people.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 12:07:47 AM »

OK, I'm having a hard time picturing Lowell from Wings as a Villain.  Just me I guess.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 01:06:44 AM »

Hobgoblin is a good guess because he does look somewhat like Ned Leeds, although Robert Kingsley was ultimately found to be the Hobgoblin.  I always thought they might make Harry the Hobgoblin, since that is what it seems like they are doing in Ultimate Spider-Man, since the current arc is named "Hobgoblin".

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 01:28:07 AM »

Damn, I so wanted Venom. Geek rumour mill thoughts have THC playing the Sandman. Don't know what to think about that one. I had also hoped they'd go with the Lizard for SM3.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 01:08:29 PM »

I'm hoping it's not Venom.

I'd like to think they'd make Electro or Sandman the next villain.  Cool and deadly powers for Spidey to go against Hollywood style.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2005, 04:47:39 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Hobgoblin is a good guess because he does look somewhat like Ned Leeds, although Robert Kingsley was ultimately found to be the Hobgoblin.  I always thought they might make Harry the Hobgoblin, since that is what it seems like they are doing in Ultimate Spider-Man, since the current arc is named "Hobgoblin".

What if they bring back Harry as the Green Goblin, and do a hobgoblin storyline, in the same movie?  That could be interesting.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 05:20:29 PM »

Current rumors suggest the second villain will be Sandman, alongside Green Goblin II.

Take that as you will.

I'm with the crowd that doesn't think Raimi will try to tackle any of the symbiote/venom/carnage story in this one. There is the fact that Raimi really dislikes Venom as a character to consider here.

Honestly, Electro or Sandman are the only "cool" villains that I can picture Church playing and being convincing at. The only other option for him is Mysterio, and while he would fit the role I think that might be the worst possible choice of Spider-Man's enemies for a film role. I can imagine Raimi wanting to do that, but I can't see anybody else being ok with it.

I'm going to hope for Electro or Sandman.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 05:22:31 PM »

You seem to know the spider-man history pretty well.. where does Jason Macendale fit in? I have an issue of Spider-Man where Macendale, as the Hobgoblin, kills Demogoblin. I remember the Ned Leeds name, but never heard of Kingsley before. I never had nearly as many Spider-Man comics as I had several others.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 05:38:06 PM »

Jason Macendale (Jack O'Lantern) took up the Hobgoblin mask not long after Ned Leeds was found to be Hobgoblin after his death (later on, his wife Betty would find information that he wasn't).  Kingsley had actually hypnotized Leeds into believing he was the Hobgoblin.  Anyway, Macendale was the Hobgoblin for a while until Kingsley didn't like what he was doing and he killed him and took up the mantle again.

A great deal of info from Spider-Man's history is available at this address (goes to the Hobgoblin portion, but the site itself is a good informational one.

I know I'm the only one that said Scorpion, but why doesn't anyone think he would be a cool villian?  Sandman can arguably be a 1st tier Spider-Man enemy (in my grading, so YMMV), but Scorpion is a much better option.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2005, 05:49:13 PM »

Well, they had Eddie Brock in the first Spider-Man movie...so unless they're doing the different person doing the same character thing, I'm going against Venom.

I've been looking into this, and the scene with Brock was cut from the film. All that remains of Brock in the film is JJ's breif mentioning of him. Raimi could cast anyone in the world as Eddie Brock, and there wouldn't be a conflict of continuity.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2005, 05:54:05 PM »

And for what it's worth, I would want to see Spider-Man in the black suit for an entire film before the suit goes bad in the next one. For instance, Jameson brings back the symbiote in SM3 and also becomes the Man Wolf. Spider-Man fights the Man Wolf in his new black suit, which seems to be an unexpected improvement over the spandex. Only in SM4 does the suit make him go aggro, and he abandons it. The symbiote finds Eddie, and you have Venom for SM4.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2005, 07:15:11 PM »

If it's Sandman, I called it in the first post!  :wink:
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2005, 10:08:33 PM »

I'm not particularly thrilled with Sandman, but if I were a Hollywood guy I sure would be.  Just imagine the special effects they can put in the trailer.

And from reading this thread it sounds like Marvel went a little crazy with the *.Goblin idea.  Green, Green2, Hob, Demo...  At least Jack 'O Lantern tried a new name.

I say we bring on The Vulture.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005, 10:12:07 PM »

I hope I never seen Venom/Carnage in the movies EVER.  It's just too easy to CGI-whore the whole thing.

I say Hobgoblin.  I'm still holding out that eventually they'll run the Sinister Six at some point way in the future.

Just Hiro will do.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 10:38:18 PM »

I know I'm the only one that said Scorpion, but why doesn't anyone think he would be a cool villian?  Sandman can arguably be a 1st tier Spider-Man enemy (in my grading, so YMMV), but Scorpion is a much better option.

I wouldn't mind seeing Spidey take on Scorpion, but I think from a Hollywood point of view, his tail would be too similar to Doc Ock's mechanical arms and he's not as flashy as an Electro or Sandman (powers special effects).

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2005, 05:39:11 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
And for what it's worth, I would want to see Spider-Man in the black suit for an entire film before the suit goes bad in the next one. For instance, Jameson brings back the symbiote in SM3 and also becomes the Man Wolf. Spider-Man fights the Man Wolf in his new black suit, which seems to be an unexpected improvement over the spandex. Only in SM4 does the suit make him go aggro, and he abandons it. The symbiote finds Eddie, and you have Venom for SM4.

That was actually the plotline I had hoped for from the next movie, but with these announcements it doesn't seem possible.

unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 06:12:46 PM »

My vote is for Sandman; this will also give Hollywood the ability to make a spin-off movie featuring THC, given the wealth of Sandman-related stories which already exist.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2005, 11:32:08 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
My vote is for Sandman; this will also give Hollywood the ability to make a spin-off movie featuring THC, given the wealth of Sandman-related stories which already exist.

Well there's the Spidey Sandman (like what the Mummy could do) and then there's Neil Gaimans Sandman (the dream lord).

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 03:39:04 AM »

It's Sandman.

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 07:14:41 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
It's Sandman.

I called it!  Cool  Tongue
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2005, 08:42:37 PM »

I would have preferred Lizard. Or Green Goblin II. Or Hobgoblin. Or definitely Venom. Or Vulture. Or Kraven. But Raimi's a smart guy, a talented guy, and I trust him, so we'll see how Sandman goes.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Gwar21
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2005, 01:46:43 AM »

Doesn't Green Goblin II almost have to be in it also, since most of the cast was only signed for the original trilogy?  Surely that scene near the end of Spiderman 2 with the Osbornes has to mean something...
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2006, 01:33:43 AM »

You may have already guessed it, but it looks like it's going to be
Spoiler for Hiden:
Venom!

Thomas Haden Church, who plays the villainous Sandman in Sam Raimi's upcoming Spider-Man 3, inadvertently let slip in an interview with MSN.com that a key villain will be...

Here's the article.

hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 06:31:34 AM »

no Vulture??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: