http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 01:04:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking of books - Baroque cycle anyone?  (Read 1148 times)
Crusis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« on: November 03, 2004, 12:43:20 AM »

Anyone else caught up in Neal Stephenson's The Baroque Cycle?  

Cryptonomicon is one of my all time favorite books so I was a sucker for Quicksilver the day it was published.  I spent about a month trying to read it before it clicked and I really enjoyed it.  Then I waited for the next two to come out so I could read them back to back - even went to the last book signing about a month ago (sort of a unenthusiastic speaker ole Neal is...)

The second book had more swashbuckling adventure than I could have imagined and the end just left me breathless for the third book which switches gears yet again.  And he wrote the whole 3000 pages longhand?  Un-freaking-believable...

I think that Baroque cycle as a whole is an amazing undertaking but not for everyone.  For every page of fast paced action (and humor) there is a page of conversations or people writing other people letters.  

So anyone else deeply into the books or has finished them?  Thoughts?  Perplexing questions?  

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 01:00:24 AM »

I bought Quicksilver the day it came out, like you because I was entranced by the writing in Cryptonomicon (it may be the first book in which I enjoyed the writing style more than I did the plot.)

I just recently got around to starting it (after two false starts where I got about 50 pages in), and am about 100 pages in. It's a little tough to get into, but your recommendation of the second volume is really encouraging.

I think it has been slow-going because I just finished two massive volumes - Johnathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and The Dark Tower Book 7. So I've got a touch of "reader's fatigue."
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 01:08:31 AM »

Haven't read it yet, but I plan on borrowing it from the Library.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 02:53:33 AM »

It's an amazing series. Every last part of Quicksilver that may bog you down is there *for a reason*. It all comes to fruition in the next two volumes. And Neal finally learned how to end a book/series. You also get more info on Enoch Root than I really thought he would give. I really hope he continues the series in the future because there's just enough story threads left.
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 03:48:41 AM »

I got half way through Quicksilver before I got tired of it and set it aside.  I love Stephenson, and I'm glad to hear it picks up in the next two volumes.  I fully intend to finish the darn thing someday.  I might even have time... soon... slywink
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 04:55:35 PM »

I think I had to start Quicksilver 3 times before I really got into it.  Also the books are SO long that I had occasion to set them down and read another book before getting back into them.  

Its been a few weeks since I polished off Confusion and I have to say it is one of the better books I have read this year.  Thinking back on some of the funnier scenes keep bringing a smile to my face.  Seriously funny stuff here with the spanish inquisition (I know, how do you make that funny without going Monty Python?)

I have to agree with BigRedCat - don't take any of the slow parts for granted in Quicksilver cause they are all in there for a reason.  

BTW when I went to the Stephenson signing someone asked what he was working on now and he said "nothing" so it may be a while till a new works from him sees the light of day.  OH!  He also said that it took several years for Cryptonomicon to be published (he did not elaborate ...).

-Crusis

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 07:53:15 PM »

It must of taken years to write too!  :lol:

He's starting to become a more and more popular writer, cause if you noticed when Quicksilver first came out, they made a big promotion out of it while they hadn't with previous books.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 09:17:10 PM »

I'm one of the few that loved Quicksilver from page one.  Unfortunately I haven't found the time to read the other two yet (them books is big!!!) but from other comments I have no doubt I will love them even more.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 02:21:46 AM »

I'm struggling through the first one again, being such a huge fan of Stephenson.  Love it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: