http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 01:12:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sox vs. Yankees - Game 7  (Read 8038 times)
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2004, 04:45:06 PM »

Starting it up early...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 04:54:09 PM »

I don't think I can watch it. Too stressful. I hate the Yankees with such a passion that it's not enjoyable watching their games. I'm a Padres fan yet still found myself jumping up and down giggling hysterically after that last strikeout last night. Exhilarating, yes, but I don't know that it's worth the devastation that likely awaits tonight...

However, I must say that I am somewhat hopeful for the Sox, considering this is the first time I've seen important blown calls that benefitted the Yankees overturned. It seems like every postseason has a few blown calls that help the Yankees...so to see them go the other way for once may mean something. Man, I still get sick thinking about that 2-2 strike down the middle to Tino Martinez that was called a ball in the 98 series, when he hit the subsequent 3-2 (actually 2-3) pitch for a slam.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 05:57:20 PM »

I'd just like to throw out the fact that I think Tim McCarver is the second worst announcer in all of sports (Dale Arnold is the worst, but it's close).

That whole walk is as good as a home run thing caused me to mute my TV and listen to the end on the radio. What an A-Hole.

Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 06:14:30 PM »

I'm wondering (hoping) that that whole A-Rod incident brings the Yankees down a bit psychologically for tonight. They probably felt victimized by the umpires during the game, and probably felt very fired-up, passionate, and angry at being 'robbed'...and also felt further fired-up and vindicated to some extent by the crowd's reaction.

However, once they saw that replay, it must be somewhat humiliating or at least a let-down to realize that all that energy and passion was expended for what was obviously a bush-league, blatant infraction.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 06:21:12 PM »

Oh come now, Dale Arnold isn't that bad. If he was butt-kissing Scott Neidermeyer, you'd think he was the greatest. I like Dale and Gordie... they're no Fred and Derek or Sean and Jerry, but they're about a billion times better than the ESPN goons.

Anyways, all the breaks have gone the Red Sox way in the last few games. But that doesn't mean they'll continue. I think the momentum factor is out the windows. As the Intangibleness said himself, "We had the momentum after our third game." Game 7 is going to be a fuckin crapshoot. Unless the Sox put up a 15-0 lead, I'm going to bite my nails till the end.

Prediction: Sox take a small lead early, keep it until the ninth, then Yankees get two on, two out, and......

Who knows. Are the baseball gods honest in their dishing out of karmic justice, or are they simply waiting to give the ultimate kick in the groin to the Nation?

This will either be the greatest comeback in history or the ultimate heartbreak (we're talking about rivaling Buckner here). It's just not fair to an honest fan like you or me.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 06:24:33 PM »

Last year, in Game 7, there was a small riot in the quad; police were called, and many things were broken.  Hell hath no fury like exuberant Yankees fans.

This year, I have a room with a great spectating view.  So, in a twisted way, I'd really like to see the Sox take it in extra innings, just to see what happens.  I bet nobody in campus security has the night off tonight.

Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 06:24:40 PM »

I feel you.

Sometimes it feels like the Yankees/Red Sox is the most obscenely tragic situation in the world. It's hard to believe how painful it always ends up being. And it just keeps happening and happening and happening...

I'm so damn tired of spoiled Yankee fans getting one glorious orgasmic win after another. It's just insane how it always works out for them, and at the Sox expense.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 06:41:51 PM »

Oh come now, Dale Arnold isn't that bad. If he was butt-kissing Scott Neidermeyer...

Oh, but he was!! He did the Devils games and sucked then too. Trust me. The only guys approaching the Dale level for hockey are the guys in Washington, Buffalo and Tampa. Gordie is pretty good but listen to when Dale makes a blatant mistake on something going against the Bruins and they show the replay: Gordie says "Looked like that was the right call" Dale says NOTHING. Never mentions it. Happens at least 5 times a game. Not to mention his mid-day show where he is wrong 99% of the time.

Back to the game:
Sox will win or lose in a way that makes me wish I were dead or un-interested. Killing me.

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 07:02:06 PM »

You honestly think he's worse than Gary "I Sound So Nasal I Think I Have Something Permanently Lodged Up My Nose" Thorne and Bill "How Many Times Can I State The Obvious?" Clement? Not to mention Darren "I Was A Crappy Goalie 20 Years Ago And I'm An Even Worse Goalie Announcer Now" Pang?

And don't get me started on Barry Melrose. Possibly the worst hockey analyst out there. And he thinks he knows what he's talking about too. I like Buccigross, but mostly just for his columns. I wish we had the Canadian guys for national games.

Oh yeah, and Go Sox! I'm not going to see the first 20 or 30 minutes so I hope I don't miss Lowe's huge meltdown.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2004, 07:16:19 PM »

Worse than ESPN. Yep. Dale is off the charts.

Lowe/Sox meltodown won't be early. If the Sox are down by 8 or so by the 3rd then there is no tragic, gut-wrenching moments. The end will come late and be very painful. You'll have plenty of time to see it.

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 07:16:35 PM »

As long as we're mentioning bad announcing (and I agree with Devil's assessment of McCarver btw), I would like to throw Bill Walton into the mix.

McCarver is getting ripped to absolute shreads here on the local Philly stations, although you could easily argue, "Yeah, but who DOESN'T get ripped to shreads in Philly."

As far as Game 7 - I will be focused on my Astros (the only baseball team I really like besides my monumentally disappointing Phils), but I will certainly be pulling for the Red Sox.  Some of my best friends are Boston fans, so I would like to see a Boston/Houston World Series.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 07:18:32 PM »

What the...!?!? Poncho's back!!!

Good trip?

OK, now GET OUT!  :wink:

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 07:29:38 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
What the...!?!? Poncho's back!!!

Good trip?

OK, now GET OUT!  :wink:

Back and poorer than ever.  I pretty much got my clock cleaned.

Do we know who is starting for the Yankees tonight yet?  At lunch, the Philly sports guys said Torre hadn't made up his mind yet.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 07:35:12 PM »

Welcome back!

I think it's Lowe v. Brown right now but that could all change 45 times before 8:00

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 07:35:33 PM »

Looks like Brown, possibly Vazquez. Both have gotten shelled by the Sox this year (Brown a few days ago), but this IS game 7 after all, so who the hell knows.

Both Lowe and Brown were great pitchers just 2 or 3 years ago and now are both quite less. Still, there's potential for something great.

And if there was ever a game to throw Pokey into, it might be this one (not that it will happen since Francona loves Bellhorn). Any ball that travels to the right side of the infield makes me worried with Bellhorn and Millar there. Replace with Pokey and Mientciewicz and I feel much better. If the Sox have the lead getting into the 7th or so, I'd pull out the defensive replacements early.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 08:19:05 PM »

Yup yup no Pokey tonight if Francona didnt start him last time Lowe was up and Bellhorn was kickin it there's no way hes gonna do it tonight - I think last night Bellhorn clinched the next 4 years of starts regardless of performance in coach's eyes smile  And dont worry guys this is gonna be good - everyone else must know but usually we're all sittin here 'bout now waitin for the Sox to screw up - we do it every year and get ready to be crushed.  THIS year though - I dunno - I have the sense that Im not waitin for a game losing fuck up but something special.  Last night I was like a kid on Christmas eve - couldnt sleep cant wait to see the game - and thats NOT cause I think bad things are gonna happen smile  And Im with you Koz especially w/ Millar.  Until baseball starts countin 400 foot fouls home runs, and ESPECIALLY if Lowe starts ya gotta go w/ Mientciewicz - but we all know itll never happen.  Terry's been showin some decent intellegence though and gettin the guy / guys in there to play defense at the right time (though he's been pretty much do or die at 2nd - Pokey's come in like what, once?).  How 'bout battin order - think hes keepin Billy Mueller at 2?  Oh well Im excited - and I got to be on news talkin bout how the Sox gonna win so its gotta be an omen right???
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 08:47:49 PM »

This is ridiculous, I can't get any work done today. I'm so fidgety, checking every sports site known to man. Less than four hours to go!
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2004, 08:51:00 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri1"
And dont worry guys this is gonna be good - everyone else must know but usually we're all sittin here 'bout now waitin for the Sox to screw up - we do it every year and get ready to be crushed.  THIS year though - I dunno - I have the sense that Im not waitin for a game losing fuck up but something special.

This feeling is what scares me, because I sort of have the same feeling...but I worry that this confident feeling is simply the next evolution in Sox tragedy/Yankee asshat-ness. If we were all sitting around waiting for the Sox to screw it up, it wouldn't be a brand new, freshly excruciating suffering. And every year seems to somehow top the previous in terms of pain.
Sam is the Man
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2004, 08:53:56 PM »

Oh, and did anyone catch the Schilling interview today on either Rome or ESPN Radio? It was great...he flat-out ripped A-Rod, called him classless, bush-league, and in the same category as Bonds in terms of talent without class. His main point was: would Jeter have done what A-Rod did? No, because Jeter is professional and classy. (although Jeter is a clown too, in my book).
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2004, 09:29:59 PM »

So where is "Ihatemorrowind?" Wasn't he the one doing all the shit talking about the Red Sox earlier this week? smile
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2004, 09:34:23 PM »

Karma's gonna get ya!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2004, 10:03:19 PM »

Red Sox will clearly win. The Yankees aren't saying anything but they clearly are pretty deflated over this crazy comeback by the Sox. Momentum is with the Sox. They will win.

Afterwards A-rod will become so depressed he will eventually get arrested in the meat-packing district for solicitation. Jeter will suffer a career ending injury over a harmless misunderstanding during his weekly pedicure. Steinbrenner will officially go insane, and will be last seen hanging out in the East Village with tissue boxes on his feet, his porcine mouth stuff with dollar bills and dripping with human waste.

The Red Sox fans will finally shut up about that curse. And they will go on to beat the Astros in the World Series. During this series Roger Clemens will attempt to hit somebody with a broken piece of bat. Unfortunately this piece will harmlessly bounce off the batter's head, and ricochet back to him, embedding into his groin area. Clemens will spend the rest of his career trying to live down his newfound internet reputation as "bat-crotch", as well spawning the GREATED OWNED PICTURE ON EARTH.

As always, my predictions are 100% PRECISE AND ACCURATE.

Just Hiro will do.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2004, 11:50:19 PM »

THERE IS NO CURSE!!

Just shitty teams/management!!!

Why the hell am I so friggin nervous!?!?!??!

Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2004, 12:23:54 AM »

Here we go...
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2004, 12:32:46 AM »

Yup yup smile
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2004, 12:41:51 AM »

Ortiz is my daddy.

Still, should have been 3-0.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2004, 12:45:05 AM »

The first thing I said after Damon gets tossed out is the only thing that makes this better is if Ortiz knocks it out... one pitch later he answered hehehe  Here we go... should be fun?  smile
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2004, 12:45:37 AM »

Brown is not on his game, let's see if Lowe is...
Charlatan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2004, 12:46:31 AM »

Terrible call to send Damon, the hit was pretty close to the infield.

Though the replays show what a good job the Yanks did at relaying it.

Go Sox! smile

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2004, 12:53:34 AM »

Wow, what a juicy pitch for Sheffield to hit... but he let it go, strike 3.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2004, 12:55:08 AM »

I'm still scared...

slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2004, 12:55:37 AM »

Wow, did Lowe look better in the 1st than everyone thought he would? Way to freeze Sheffield.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2004, 12:56:45 AM »

It has all ready begun....

WE BELIEVE!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2004, 01:09:46 AM »

Vazquez in. Brown out.

Is this a good thing or not?

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2004, 01:11:42 AM »

GRAND SLAM!!!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2004, 01:11:52 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Vazquez in. Brown out.

Is this a good thing or not?

No.  Grand slam.

And I guarantee you he's not buying his own beer for a long, long time.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2004, 01:11:56 AM »

Yooo ha!!!

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2004, 01:12:15 AM »

Is it safe to say that Damon is out of his slump?

WE BELIEVE!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2004, 01:12:18 AM »

OK - It's a VERY good thing!!

I'm still scared...

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2004, 01:12:29 AM »

haha, I beat you!  :twisted:

edit:  Wow.  Since Devil and I posted and I posted this there have been four replies.  SWEET.  We hate the Yankees!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: