http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:57:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soooo...I went to Weight Watchers today[DIET]  (Read 4741 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2006, 08:04:37 PM »

TIME FOR ADAM TO LOSE THESE POUNDS!  College was pretty harsh and it's time to slim down for the summer and, well, for the ladies (oooh yeah).

I went in and got a 16-week plan with my Mom.  We're going to do it together.  I'm going to do the Flex plan where I am alotted 26 points per day...apparently, it works, but it's hard for me to see how it really does work.  You can eat *anything*, but nearly everything has a point value and I can't exceed 26 per day.  It's a weird concept, but whenever I have lost lbs, I've really hit it hard and basically starved myself, so this is a new experience for me.

Anyone else give WW a try?  Success stories?  

Anyone wanna get in on this and work together?  Weekly updates and whatnot?  Easier to do it with a support system...

TheMissingLink on PSN
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 08:35:16 PM »

If anything, I think my main problem is not being a consistant eater.  Sometimes I skip breakfast, sometimes not.  Sometimes I eat lunch, sometimes not.  Then I end up eating before bed time, and eat more than I should at one sitting, which is probably still far less than my daily caloric intake should be.

LOL, sometimes, I could really use a wife.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 08:41:46 PM »

My Mom has been on weightwatchers for a while and she has lost a lot of weight.  The program works if you stick to it.

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 08:55:10 PM »

but do you have to stay with it the rest of your life?

Do you have ot buy the weight watchers food to livE/   How much does it roll?

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 09:00:16 PM »

I just started thursday night.  I'm allowed 24 points, and man it's hard.  Everything adds up, and the portions are much smaller than I'm used to.  I figure after a week or so my body will adjust, but it's tough.  Yesterday was my first full day.  I didn't go over my 24 points.  I even went to Chili's for a coworker who was celebrating his last day.  I had the guiltless chicken sandwhich with corn on the cob and brocolli (and I hate brocolli) so that only cost me 14 points.  Not too bad for a resturaunt.  

Remember, vegetables are usually 0 points, fruits are 1 (unless you eat a banana, that's 2) pretzels are 2 points for 48 sticks, popcorn is 1 point.  So you can easily have those for snacks to kinda fill you up, and doesn't cost you much.  The cool thing, they give you 35 bonus points per week.  That's 5 pts a day extra.  So if you ate too much, you can "borrow" from those.

I didn't have breakfast today, and only had a 6 point lunch ( can't believe a peanut butter sandwhich (on 1 slice of bread, with strawberry jam) is 5 points.   Tonight we are having friends come over and I'm making enchilladas.  By not having breakfast, that will help keep the points down to my target.

My target rate is 167, I started at 199, and I'm at 198.6 today.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 09:03:06 PM »

Quote from: "Semaj"
but do you have to stay with it the rest of your life?

Do you have ot buy the weight watchers food to livE/   How much does it roll?

you don't have to, but once you reach your ultimate weight goal (determined by WW) you no longer have to pay any dues, and you can still attend the meetings.  

We paid the 17 week program, and I don't plan on renenrolling, I already have the materials I need.

You don't have to buy their food, you can eat normally, but you have to make sure what you eat stays at or under your daily point goal.  

However, you would benefit eating their food (if you don't want to take time calculating what foods cost what) by buying their food, since it's done for you.

I'm buying their point calculator next week, using that slider is tedious.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 03:49:29 AM »

Hey, very cool...does Chili's list the amount of points used in each dinner?  I know Applebee's does for some of its items...which is really, really nice.

I had a pretty filling dinner tonight and it was only 10 points!  

I'm still interested in seeing how I'm going to lose weight while being alotted 26 points...

There were a few cute women there, as well slywink  More the reason to stick with it!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 04:44:54 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Hey, very cool...does Chili's list the amount of points used in each dinner?  

I ate at Chili's yesterday and IIRC the answer is no.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 04:56:56 AM »

The trick I found is - eat huge amounts of vegetables.  Since they are zero points pad every meal you can with them.  You will feel fuller and more satisfied.  

Also eat often, but small amounts.  When I binge is when I let my blood sugar too low and I just have to eat something bad.  If I just have a small snack every few hours then I am not as hungry.

Semaj, you can stay on it the rest of your life, but the nice thing is since it isn't any special food or weird stuff like no bread or only meat you can stay on it the rest of your life.  It is just normal eating but basically watching what you eat, eating lots of fiber and vegetables and smaller portions.  

Good luck.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 06:55:54 AM »

Hey, very cool...does Chili's list the amount of points used in each dinner?  I know Applebee's does for some of its items...which is really, really nice.

I had a pretty filling dinner tonight and it was only 10 points!  

I'm still interested in seeing how I'm going to lose weight while being alotted 26 points...

There were a few cute women there, as well slywink  More the reason to stick with it!!

Chilli's doesn't have the points yet, but from what I hear, they will soon.

They have a section called guiltless dinners, it's also in that book you get from WW.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 06:58:46 AM »

Good luck, man. When I was getting close to finishing the College years, I had gained about 50 extra pound (Freshman 15 my ass... though there probably was about that much extra around there). At the end, before stepping into the workforce, figured it was time to lose it, and I did!

Just use your head and watch what you eat, is my advice. It's tough, and there'll be days when you feel like nothing can fill you up, but keep at it - there is light at the end of that long tunnel.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 03:22:05 PM »

I will say that if you stick with it you will be very happy. My sister has had three children in the last 4 years and you would never know. She was always a little chubby and when I last saw her at Christmas she was thin and it's because she stuck to her points and she exercised regularly and she looks better than at any other point in her life.

Good luck with that too, i am planning on losing 20 pounds too, and may just hit the points system up as well.

Oh yeah, buy a food scale immediately, it's the best tool in the world.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 06:12:57 PM »

Good for you, Adam!  January is definitely the best time to go with it, since you have lots of company after the holidays.  And, yes -  exercise, exercise, exercise - it's the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to losing fat.

Personally, I'm going with the tried and true "get a horrid virus" plan... there's this awful thing running around my area, almost like a cross between a cold and  the flu.  It's been flattening people for two weeks.  Hunger - what's that?  :roll:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 07:25:32 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Good for you, Adam!  January is definitely the best time to go with it, since you have lots of company after the holidays.  And, yes -  exercise, exercise, exercise - it's the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to losing fat.

Personally, I'm going with the tried and true "get a horrid virus" plan... there's this awful thing running around my area, almost like a cross between a cold and  the flu.  It's been flattening people for two weeks.  Hunger - what's that?  :roll:

That is kind of like my tapeworm diet!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 08:46:33 PM »

I hope you realize just how nice I am being to you about this Adam.  I mean, yesterday I bought Fritos instead of Cooler Ranch chips for football because I know you hate Fritos but love Cooler Ranch chips.

Do you realize these are the sort of sacrifices I have to make for you?!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 10:10:30 PM »

I've lost 20 pounds in college so far.

It helps that the athletic center is across the street from me.  Also I feel a lot healthier now and I'm getting a much better night's sleep.  I'm 6'4" and 180 where I will hopefully stay (unless I start adding more muscle weight).

I should eat a bit healthier though (I pretty much eat Fruits/Meats and no vegies).  I love fruit but I hate vegetables with a passion (they all taste like dirt and water).  Until my doctor tells me that I need to eat vegies to survive, i'll just eat vitamin supplaments instead.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 12:16:19 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
I hope you realize just how nice I am being to you about this Adam.  I mean, yesterday I bought Fritos instead of Cooler Ranch chips for football because I know you hate Fritos but love Cooler Ranch chips.

Do you realize these are the sort of sacrifices I have to make for you?!

you are freaking hilarious. Sorry I missed your call, been busy all day.

Adam-glad you are doing something if you are unhappy with the weight. I would have suggested an exercise heavy diet instead of the WW stuff, but whatever works best for you smile Let me know how it goes man-maybe I can finally gain these last ten pounds while you lose them smile
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 02:38:09 AM »

As of Thursday I lost 4 pounds.  Well, most of it was probably water, but if you stick to it, it doesn't seem to difficult.  I first thought there was no way I'm going to survive on 24 points.  I had to borrow some bonus points last night, but in general, I've done pretty good.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 07:56:58 AM »

Here's a question - is drinking water super important/tied to losing weight?  I hate water.  It tastes like nothingness.  I drink coffee and diet soda pop, that's it.  That a real bad thing?

TheMissingLink on PSN
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2006, 01:16:54 PM »

not really sure, However, drinking water is 0 points obviously, and it makes you feel full.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2006, 02:56:42 PM »

Here's a question - is drinking water super important/tied to losing weight?  I hate water.  It tastes like nothingness.  I drink coffee and diet soda pop, that's it.  That a real bad thing?

I know the sodium in the pop can be a source of water retention.  Most people that stop drinking sodas and switch to water lose a few pounds in a matter of days.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 11:17:28 PM »

Drink COLD water.  The colder the better.  I am also "anti-water" due to the lack of taste but I actually enjoy an ice-cold bottle of water.

You can buy these Crystal Light packets that are in individual packaging just for bottled water.  I enjoy these as well (the lemonade anyway, the raspberry is dark and stains your mouth).  They are sugar and caffeine free.  Might have the same problem with sodium as soda, however.

I've always heard water was good for you.  It supposedly flushes your system out.  It aids in digestion and the absorption of food among other things.

from Importance Of Drinking Water For Better Health & Weightloss:
Water and WeightLoss
Among its other benefits, water plays a major part in weight loss. Since water contains no calories, it can serve as an appetite suppressant, and helps the body metabolize stored fat, it may possibly be one of the most significant factors in losing weight. In the article "Water Bearers", (Shape magazine) Elizabeth Austin notes that "water is the single most important nutrient you take in every day. It's fat -free, cholesterol-free, low in sodium, and completely without calories." Also, drinking more water helps to reduce water retention by stimulating your kidneys. Studies have recommended that if you are overweight according to average height and weight comparison charts, you should add one glass of water to your daily requirement (of eight glasses) for every 25 pounds over your recommended weight.

Dehydration leads to excess body fat, poor muscle tone & size, decreased digestive efficiency & organ function, increased toxicity, joint & muscle soreness, & water retention. Water works to keep muscles and skin toned.

I'm not doing anything specific, but I'm also trying to shed the pounds.  My main problem, like many above, is that I don't have a good schedule.  A lot of times I will not eat anything until I make dinner where I end up eating too much.  I'm trying to cut down my portions and eat regular meals.  The hardest part for me is breakfast.  I never feel like eating in the morning.  I eat decent food, just too much it seems.  I'm also trying to do more exercise like walking around my neighborhood.

Good luck to you.  Hopefully you will serve as an inspiration to some of us (isn't that a frightening thought? :lol:)!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 02:34:16 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Hopefully you will serve as an inspiration to some of us (isn't that a frightening thought? :lol:)!

Vagabond!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 08:35:46 PM »

Just had my second-week weigh in - 8lbs gone in 14 days.  And it's weight that I will hopefully keep off.

How are you doing, naednek?  Anybody else?

TheMissingLink on PSN
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 04:05:33 AM »

i gained .4 pounds this week.  I didn't do to well, went out 3 times and went over each time.  However this week is starting out good, I should lose another 4 pounds by the time I weigh in next.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2006, 04:51:04 AM »

Good job TML, way to stick with it. Ken, .4 lbs isnt anything man, if you cheated and got off that light you must be doing fine.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 05:25:11 AM »

If you don't like water because it has no taste, try buying some bulk Propel fitness water at Sam's Club or Costco.  It tastes like kool-aid, but is essentially water with some extra vitamins and flavors and such.  Not sure about sodium though.  Of course it does cost a lot more than plain water from the tap.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 06:15:07 AM »

Quote from: "ScubaV"
If you don't like water because it has no taste, try buying some bulk Propel fitness water at Sam's Club or Costco.  It tastes like kool-aid, but is essentially water with some extra vitamins and flavors and such.  Not sure about sodium though.  Of course it does cost a lot more than plain water from the tap.

I've ben drinking a lot of Fruit20 IIRC it's 0 calories. I usually buy 4-10 Strawberry 6-packs. Depends on how the store has. I tried calling Veryfine to see if they would sell me a skid or point me to a distributor, but no joy. frown
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 06:59:59 AM »

Tomorrow I weigh in.

This morning I was at 189 at my scale, but there's about a 2 pound difference on their scales, and I'll be weighing at night, with food in my stomach.  I'm hoping to be at least at 192 on their scales.  I've had a good week in terms of my eating habits, and I started to workout.  Just need to stick with it.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2006, 05:19:58 PM »

Quote from: "naednek"
Tomorrow I weigh in.

This morning I was at 189 at my scale, but there's about a 2 pound difference on their scales, and I'll be weighing at night, with food in my stomach.  I'm hoping to be at least at 192 on their scales.  I've had a good week in terms of my eating habits, and I started to workout.  Just need to stick with it.

I find it very odd that they make you do it this way. Your true weight is what you weigh in the morning, not what you way in the evening after you have eaten 3 meals and not digested overnight. This makes very little sense. The difference could be only 2 pounds as you said, or for someone like me that eats 300g+ of carbs and protein each daily, the difference could be something like 6-7 pounds.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2006, 05:38:39 PM »

You guys are my inspiration.  I'm not doing Weight Watchers but I am becoming more careful about what I eat.  The hard part for me is that I've eaten in the past when I'm not hungry just to have something to do.

I'm trying to be much more aware of how hungry I really am and only eating when I feel hunger and stopping when I start to feel full.  We'll see how it goes.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2006, 08:30:02 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Quote from: "naednek"
Tomorrow I weigh in.

I find it very odd that they make you do it this way. Your true weight is what you weigh in the morning, not what you way in the evening after you have eaten 3 meals and not digested overnight. This makes very little sense. The difference could be only 2 pounds as you said, or for someone like me that eats 300g+ of carbs and protein each daily, the difference could be something like 6-7 pounds.

I agree, but sadly, there's no Weight Watchers meeting at 6am where I live.  You can't just weigh yourself at home, and then tell them the results.  People do lie Tongue
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 06:48:33 AM »

lost 2.2 pounds this week, and lost a total of 5.4 total (started 3 weeks ago)
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2006, 07:02:17 PM »

Last week 193.8
This Week 192.2
Lost 1.6 pounds last week

Lost 6.4 pounds since i started 5 weeks ago
How are you doing TML?
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2006, 07:14:33 PM »

I weigh in tomorrow - I'm at about 10lbs lost.  I don't know how this week is going to treat me...

TheMissingLink on PSN
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2006, 08:22:47 PM »

Man, next week, i'm in Oklahoma City.  I know i'll be gaining at least 2 pounds.  There's nothing to do in OKC except for eating, look at the women!  Sometimes they can be mistaken for cattle biggrin
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2006, 09:24:07 PM »

Buuuuuuurn.

I visited a friend in Seattle the past two weekends - the hardest part of keeping up with a diet, is going out.  I swear, it's easy at home, but out with friends?  It's hard to resist that second plate of chinese food...

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2006, 09:41:30 PM »

BTW, anyone looking for alternatives to meat...

I am constantly floored by how delicious Boca meatless spicy Chick'n Patties are.  So good, soooo good.

Oh, and those little boxes of candy hearts?  Merely 2 points!  And they last awhile biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2006, 11:20:54 PM »

One thing my wife and I found helpful was Ezekial bread. Regular bread counts for way to many points to be eaten very often. Ezekial bread is 1 point per slice. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods carries it here.

Food for Life

We offer something for every taste: Breads, Buns, Rolls, English Muffins, Pita Breads, Bran Muffins, Cereals and Pastas among others. Each line includes products specifically developed to meet particular dietary requirements. Special categories include organic, flourless, sprouted grain, high fiber, wheat-free, gluten-free,

RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2006, 11:27:26 PM »

BTW, anyone looking for alternatives to meat...

I am constantly floored by how delicious Boca meatless spicy Chick'n Patties are.  So good, soooo good.

Oh, and those little boxes of candy hearts?  Merely 2 points!  And they last awhile biggrin

My wife is vegetarian so that makes me pretty much one as well (I eat seafood and poultry on occasion if we go out to eat). The Morningstar Farms  and Boca products are quite good.

I like the Morningstar Farms corndogs and buffalo wings. Not many points and the occasional food for the soul type stuff smile

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: