http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 01:32:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sooo.... Cloverfield...(Most likely spoilers at some point)  (Read 3390 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 12:08:23 AM »

plus, we could see the aftermath that the little guy caused during his escape from the deep.  i imagine nyc looks like a giant crater now. 

btw, i thought the scene with the leaning tower of plaza was damn cool, although i question the likelihood of a skyscraper  being able to hold up that much lateral force for long.  and yeah, stealth bomber rocked. 

did you get the sensation in the heli crash that you'd done it before?  it was somewhat reminiscent of cod4's memorable destruction scene.  it also made the ending rather evocative of that moment in game. 

the more i think about it, the more i like it.  like the bug the girl was infected by, it grows on you.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 12:37:33 AM »

Well if you didn't like Cloverfield, I'm guessing you won't like it's complete knock-off; Quarantine:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/quarantine/
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 03:25:27 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 25, 2008, 12:37:33 AM

Well if you didn't like Cloverfield, I'm guessing you won't like it's complete knock-off; Quarantine:

Hmm. Looks like someone watched Demons 2 then saw Cloverfield and went, "Aha!"

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 04:26:05 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 25, 2008, 03:25:27 AM

so, the trailer already lets us know that no one survives... kinda kills the suspense dontcha think?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 05:12:20 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 25, 2008, 04:26:05 AM

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 25, 2008, 03:25:27 AM

so, the trailer already lets us know that no one survives... kinda kills the suspense dontcha think?

Lil' bit, yeah.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2008, 12:27:31 AM »

I think it would be a marketing coup to have the theaters hand out barf bags.  But then, that might only work if the content rather than the cinematography is supposed to be the cause. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2008, 01:12:44 AM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 24, 2008, 02:51:36 PM

Finally watched this last night and I loved a lot of it. It bugged me that the couple dies at the end...

Well, um...they may not have.  During the credits, a voice (Rob?) can be heard to say something that sounds like "help us".  Played backwards, it sounds like "it's still alive".  http://theubergeeks.net/2008/01/21/cloverfield-credits/

I prefer to think that they survived. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2008, 02:23:25 AM »

I did stay through the credits figuring that they'd do something like that. I didn't understand what was said though so I blew it off as an Easter Egg not worth wasting my time on since it was something played backwards. I don't mind Easter Eggs (the ship at the end sounds like a gem) but stuff like that just annoys me because it's the film makers being cute with one another and stiffing the audience in the process, IMO.

LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2008, 01:43:01 PM »

I absolutely loved it (as did my wife). One of my favorite movies ever. I bought it hook, line and sinker and was glad I did.

And the teaser for Star Trek that was on the DVD gives me hope that JJ can pull it off. /prayer smilie here

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2008, 02:16:59 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on April 26, 2008, 02:23:25 AM

I did stay through the credits figuring that they'd do something like that. I didn't understand what was said though so I blew it off as an Easter Egg not worth wasting my time on since it was something played backwards. I don't mind Easter Eggs (the ship at the end sounds like a gem) but stuff like that just annoys me because it's the film makers being cute with one another and stiffing the audience in the process, IMO.

yeah, what do they expect, you to have a recording device handy in the theater to reverse the audio?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2008, 03:16:53 AM »

Got around to seeing this tonight, surprisingly as a Mrs. Gratch selection.  Thought it was pretty good, and I'm glad I didn't see it in the theater.  Shaky-cam on my 52" was a bit off-putting, and I can't imagine how bad it would have been on the big screen.  It certainly had it's moments (I liked the nightvision tunnel bit), and I enjoyed it overall.  There were a few cheesy parts, the worst offender being:

Spoiler for Hiden:
When Hud stands directly under the monster and films it eating him.  Funny how the thing tore him in half, yet completely ignored the other two people screaming at the top of their lungs 10 feet away.  Also, wasn't it supposed to be the size of a building?  They made it look about 20 feet tall from that shot.

Overall, though, I thought it was very well done and pretty fun.  Solid B in my book.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2008, 04:33:17 PM »

My wife and I just finally got around to watching Cloverfield.  I had a feeling my wife might not enjoy it, but she absolutely loathed it.  I don't think it helped that we managed to convince her to watch Black Hawk Down for the first time just prior to watching Cloverfield, insisting that it wasn't your run-of-the-mill war movie she's come to despise, and yet I was wrong once again.  She appreciated that it was a fantastic movie, but she didn't ever want to see it again.  After our friends left I expressed interest in watching Cloverfield as it was fairly early and it wasn't a very long film (only about 80 minutes or so) and she agreed.

On numerous occasions I saw her bury her face in a pillow, not because she was scared, but because the film obviously made her nauseous.  I was surprised that it didn't have the same effect on me, especially since some FPS games make me motion sick and I can no longer ride thrill rides without ample amounts of Dramamine.  But the camera work in Cloverfield didn't bother me, at least from a motion sick standpoint.

Part of my problem with the film was not really caring much about the various characters.  The girl who suffers from the mini-creature's bite made it painfully clear that she didn't really want to be at the party, she didn't know anyone, but she was all for drinking free booze while she was there.  Not that this should impact my feelings about whether she lived or died, but I just didn't care for the character.  I actually said "woah" with a hearty chuckle when she popped.   ninja

I was initially turned off by the main couple in the film because of their obvious lack of maturity.  I have no patience for B.S. drama when it comes to relationships, and even less patience for ridiculous drunken drama one typically finds at a college-age party.  I had the initial impression that these were young NYC professionals (hence the new job in Japan), but they came across as spoiled college kids pissing and moaning about failed relationships. 

When the chaos began I really got into the idea that this was a recovered tape filmed by someone right in the middle of the "event" (I loved the video title in the beginning stating that the film was recovered from what used to be NYC), but the style made the film too impersonal for me.  I couldn't really develop any feelings for the characters because they felt so removed, like watching home movies of people I didn't know or care about.  Yes, they were involved in one hell of a catastrophe, but it felt like being forced to watch some random friends' vacation video.  Instead of thinking, "Oh dear, that poor boy lost his brother," I was instead thinking, "Yeah, yeah, little Jimmy swimming in the lake, blah blah Aunt Agnes at the family picnic, but I want to see more of the monster." 

I also couldn't help but think, "Man, these kids had some awful luck."  For as large as NYC is, these fools managed to stumble into the monster's path a number of times.  Can your luck be that bad?  I understand that if they didn't have such bad luck then we, the audience, would never see much of the monster or really feel any level of tension, but come on.  NYC is a big place.  Even when they were escaping in the helicopter the monster was again "conveniently" below them for a perfect camera shot, and of all places to direct its anger, the creature goes after their helicopter and not after the other vehicles shooting at it? 

But, my gripes aside, I thought that this was a very interesting way to present a film about a monster attack on NYC.  We got to experience the event as if right smack in the middle of everything with no warning or backstory.  We were "at" a party, and then all of a sudden the city was under attack.  It was a cool premise, but outside of how creative the film's presentation was, the characters were fairly one-dimensional, the characters' awful luck was a bit too much to believe, the camera work, while meant to mimic watching a home video, felt a little too disjointed and made the film feel a bit jarring, and the acting felt like it was straight out of a "B" movie. 

Overall I've say the film was merely "okay."  I didn't dislike Cloverfield, but I didn't love it, either.  As much as I hate to use the word, I more or less felt "meh".  But I am not disappointed that I purchased it, and I do plan on watching again (but without my wife).  Perhaps on subsequent viewings I'll develop a better appreciation for what the filmmakers were trying to do. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2008, 08:50:56 PM »

I thought the movie was pretty decent. As far as the awful luck, I'd call it more awful judgment.  If a thirty story monster is in the city, you don't run towards the monster, unless you're an idiot in love. I play mainly fps's, so shaky cam didn't get to me that much. Also watched I am Legend.  Total suckage. Talk about not caring about characters in a movie...I just wanted Smith's character to stfu and die. I guess that is caring, just not in the way the movie's  creators may have envisioned.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2008, 11:28:37 PM »

just watched this. 

short review.

Cool idea.
average movie.

Reminds me of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.  Cool Idea.  Average movie.  Snatch on the other hand was a fantastic movie.  Lets hope they do Cloverfield 2, better..smile
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2008, 09:09:19 PM »

I loved the hell out of Cloverfield, to me it was like a good old fashioned monster movie done with a modern twist. I thought the effects were fantastic too. You definitely have to turn your brain off at certain points to ignore some of the logic, but as far as popcorn entertainment I'd go with 4/5 stars. I'll rent it again when it hits BD.
chaosraven
Gaming Trend Reader

Freakin' Puppets

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2008, 10:00:33 PM »

The idea was cool. The way it was handled was over the top. Like the guy had parkinsons.

I love roller coasters, enjoy long trips in the car, flown in a huey, ridden gunner in a humvee turret, and never got sick.

This movie made me physically ill.

I'd say it sort of ruined it for me, but there's no sort of about it.

Spawn of OO Collective
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2008, 10:03:01 PM »

Quote from: dmd on May 06, 2008, 08:50:56 PM

Talk about not caring about characters in a movie...I just wanted Smith's character to stfu and die.

You should read the book!  I thought the character was OK in the film, but the same character in the book was a total knob.  I didn't give a shit what happened to him.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2008, 03:42:03 AM »

just finished watching it...great concept, well executed action and effects, but pretty average movie overall.  like so many others have already said, Cloverfield does a lot of things very well, but they dropped the ball on probably the most important aspect of a good story...presenting characters that people will actually care about.  i'll be keeping an eye out for the potential sequel though...would love to find out more about the monster and the aftermath of its NYC attack.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2008, 06:40:55 PM »

I think someone said something about it being fine until the end....I agree.  The 2 monologues were just lame...Blair Witch did that much better.  I did assume based on what looked like blood, screaming and then stopping that they both died-they did say that if you could hear the sirens that you would die
when they took out the city- no reason (imho) to think that they survived- besides the bombing, the bridge fell on them.

As for what's her name at the party, and no supposed to be there- that was precisely why she was my favorite of the cast of so-so characters.  She WASN'T supposed to be there- just came for the free booze- how shitty is that?

I am in the "it was fun" camp-nothing great-nothing new-a bit too shaky-so so not really deep and not really likable characters -but still an enjoyable hour and a half.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 06:48:26 PM by walTer » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: