http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 03:07:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony on a roll (positive personal story)  (Read 377 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:01:38 PM »

I started noticing a thin vertical line last year on my 52 inch Sony Bravia that I purchased in the Fall of 2009.  Over the past year that line has become darker, turned into 3 lines, and never leaves the screen.  Just last week a new line appeared down the center of my screen.  As you can imagine, it's not good, and really distracts from watching.  Because the TV is well past the 1 year warranty, my wife and I resigned ourselves to the reality that we bought a dud (which we paid off late 2011).  

I decided to give the Sony consumer electronics support line a call, just on the remote chance they could refer me to a local authorized repair shop.  Imagine my surprise when after taking my personal info, model # and serial #, the rep came back a few minutes later and said with a cheery attitude, "Good news, your model is under an extended warranty program.  We can replace your TV with one that has been factory refurbished, and send it to you at no cost.  Would you like to do that?"

I was floored.  I knew they had issues with those models, but I was not prepared for this.  Of course I said yes.  She went on to say, "Don't worry about the return shipping cost.  We will include a prepaid label with instructions.  Just send your TV back within 15 days.  Your refurbished TV will come with a 2 year warranty at no additional cost.  You will receive it in about 5-7 days.  Here's the reference #.  Is there anything else I can do for you?"

I just thought that entire experience was amazing, and not at all what I was expecting.  I wanted to share because I think it highlights a customer focused company.  They could have easily said they wouldn't help because my 1 year warranty expired over 2 years ago.  
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »

Glad they did right by you.  They refused to do anything about my 2006 Sony DLP which crapped out after two years, despite it being a widespread problem among their DLPs (failed optical block).  They were finally forced to address the issue for nearly every other model due to lawsuits, except my model, of course  finger
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:19:59 PM »

Glad that worked out for you.

Sony burned me with a common RPTV problem back in the early 00's (03-04 IIRC) with a 51" set that would flicker green. It was also widespread (by some accounts, it was upwards of 20% customer base), but they refused to help me.

Glad I had my Visions Electronics ext. warranty - got myself a monstrous Toshiba instead, which the ex-wife then took back in 05.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »

I had the same experience as Laner, and generally refuse to buy Sony stuff.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »

Quote from: Laner on July 08, 2013, 04:27:00 PM

Glad they did right by you.  They refused to do anything about my 2006 Sony DLP which crapped out after two years, despite it being a widespread problem among their DLPs (failed optical block).  They were finally forced to address the issue for nearly every other model due to lawsuits, except my model, of course  finger

I had the optical block failure (green blob) on my 2006 SXRD (A2000 model) when the set was about three years old. They replaced the optical block under extended warranty and it worked for about a year before failing again. I contacted them a second time and they offered to replace my faulty set with a steeply-discounted brand new LCD thanks to a class action lawsuit over the issue. I was able to replace my five-year old faulty 55" SXRD with a new 42" 3D LCD for only $200 out of my own pocket. I then sold that replacement without even opening the box for a $500 profit and used the money toward buying an awesome 55" Panasonic plasma.

I got a pretty good deal in the end, but I won't buy another Sony tv because I know many others weren't so lucky, and there are plenty of better options now for less money.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:55:43 PM »

Quote from: Purge on July 08, 2013, 07:19:59 PM

Glad that worked out for you.

Sony burned me with a common RPTV problem back in the early 00's (03-04 IIRC) with a 51" set that would flicker green. It was also widespread (by some accounts, it was upwards of 20% customer base), but they refused to help me.

Glad I had my Visions Electronics ext. warranty - got myself a monstrous Toshiba instead, which the ex-wife then took back in 05.

Now that I think about it, I kept the 30" VVega 19:9 1080i CRT from upstairs - and when that started flipping inputs over-and-over 1/sec, the Visions extended warranty got me a ~700 replacement credit which went towards an RX line of Toshiba (42" - one of the first LCDs to offer 120Hz) in 2009-10 timeframe.

Man, those warranties have never been wasted. Nice thing about them is that if you don't use them, you can go back (up to 12mo after expiry) for equivalent store credit - limitations being that the credit can only be ~1/2 of the new purchase price.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:13:34 PM »

I had no idea that Sony had so many issues with their LCD TVs when I purchased mine.  The consumer reports info all looked good, but I don't think they had the time to see many of the defects.  I was very surprised that Sony was willing to do a factory refurbish replacement, but it sounds like they may have been forced to because of previous law suits.  I was both relieved (because I wasn't the only one) and shocked to see how many other people had the same issues I did with their expensive Bravia's over the past 4-6 years. 

I have Samsung and Sharp LCDs that have performed great, with no issues.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 12:03:51 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on July 08, 2013, 07:37:14 PM

I had the same experience as Laner, and generally refuse to buy Sony stuff.

been screwed over on hardware and software, not happy with Sony.  Glad yours was good.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 06:06:52 AM »

Very nice story, Rogue! A bit sad everyone had to pile on with their bad stories, but I guess thats just the way people work!

Personally, I had my original PS3 burn out after 1 year, refusing to play discs. It was apparently a somewhat known error, so I got a new one without any issues. They even had a large stock of reserve launch ps3's just in case here in Denmark which I found to be pretty cool.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:41:07 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on July 09, 2013, 06:06:52 AM

Personally, I had my original PS3 burn out after 1 year, refusing to play discs. It was apparently a somewhat known error, so I got a new one without any issues. They even had a large stock of reserve launch ps3's just in case here in Denmark which I found to be pretty cool.

had the same thing happen to mine about a year ago, from what they wanted to charge (around $190) I figured it wasn't worth it to fix it and cheaper to eventually get a new one.  I think the PS3 is the only Sony item I've had that has had issues; had a portable CD player and a standalone CD player in the early 90's that were both going strong when I gave them away to friends, the PS2 slim I've had is fine, and the stand alone blu ray player I got to replace the PS3 is running great, albeit with a clunky UI.  1 out of 5 ain't bad.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 12:08:51 PM »

Although it did not affect me,it would've been nice to have something like this for those people with the YLOD on the PS3,they would have to pay 150(or $150,can't remember now) to get it fixed from SONY...even after the PS3 got a price cut,a lot of people got burned by this

My history is pretty good with SONY(never got to a point where i have needed to get in touch with them)

My SONY Bravia 32" HDTV- has one problem,sound :every now and then when i change HDMi inputs(doesn't happen everytime i do it) and the sound is gone,i have to turn the TV off and back on and then its fine...no biggie,but that's pretty much the only problem i have with my Bravia,and it's a few years old now

My Launch 60gig Phatty PS3-still around,although early in its life it stopped playing Discs/Blu-Rays...so i did a quick reformat of the HDD through the PS3 options and it worked fine and has done since then

SONY Triniton Wega 32" SDTV-still going after 10+ years(Heavy as fuck!)

Launch PS1-still have it,still works(doesn't look grey anymore though,more brownish through age,LOL)
Launch PS2-still have it,still works

PSP-Battery died,wont recharge,been meaning to replace it for ages now,but may as well just get a Vita when i can

MiniDisc player-I love this damn thing,crack on the small LCD display,but other than that its fine and i love it because i made some kickass compilations connecting it to my PS2 via those IR cables(i dunno,it shines a red light)..anyway,about 10 years old now,still works
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:12:06 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 02:01:51 PM »

damn, almost forgot about the Vita, that's never a good sign for a system icon_lol.  1 out of 6.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 06:56:04 PM »

I also had this problem:

My old walkman, and my girlfriends Sony HTIB are still working fine though. Frankly, I'm convinced that yellow walkman is bulletproof and the cockroaches and lawyers will be vying for it after the apocalypse.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: