http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 03:33:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony Kills Off UMD Movies  (Read 1007 times)
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2006, 12:21:48 PM »

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/3266

The first two comments in that link are particularly noteworthy.  :lol:
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 01:18:16 PM »

Yet another over-priced proprietary media format is history. Will Sony ever learn? [cough]beta, minidisc, UMD, ?memorystik?, ?blu-ray?[/cough]

Yuppers.

The UMDs were set to fail anyway. Who wants to pay DVD (or in some cases more than) prices for something you can't watch anywhere but the tiny ass screen that is the PSP?

Half the price would've been acceptable, and nothing more.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 01:25:16 PM »

Does'nt bode well for the PSP in general. Ive wanted one since they came out but two things have kept it from me.

1. Price. Its just too damn much for a hand held. They should do what other products do and thats sell the hardware cheap and make money on the software. Say $100 for a PSP.

2. And that brings me to the other half of my problem with the PSP. Lack of any games that really interest me. In particular good solid RPGs. I would'nt mind seeing good RTSs, FPSs, and SIMs but a handheld has to have good RPGs for me to get it. I care ZERO about sports, racing, fighting, or puzzle games. And that seems to be the makeup of the PSP library.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 03:41:33 PM »

Quote from: "Daehawk"
Does'nt bode well for the PSP in general.

Why's that?  Nobody bought them in the first place.  You'd be crazy to buy them rather then download (or have it purchased on dvd), rip and put on the memory stick.  I mean yeah, maybe a purchase of one of your FAVORITE movies just to have it in another format for the shelf is cool, but the idea was flawed from the beginning.

Meh, whatever, I was shocked sales were so high at the beginning and that people were buying the movies...

ed3 is a soothsayer.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 04:28:40 PM »

They shoulda sold them for $5. Woulda worked better.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 04:32:26 PM »

^ no doubt.

I've seen 'em priced upwards to $30.  That's craziness.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 05:51:05 PM »

Yet another proprietary Sony media format fails? Wow, who saw that one coming?  Tongue

Their "plan B" to sell movies on memory stick is pathetic. They are more expensive than blank ones and they are putting some pretty weak movies on them. On top of that, the movies are in lower resolution. Uhh, no thanks.

Boy I can't wait to see what happens to Blu-Ray.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 06:47:44 PM »

I doubt this new plan of Sony's will fly either.  $60 is waaayy too much for one flick.  I'm waiting  to see a giant UMD clearance so I can pick up a few for dirt cheap.

What happens to all these unsold UMDs?  I hardly see them discounted for any sizable amount.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 07:09:54 PM »

I'm not sure how they really ever expected this proprietary format to survive anyway.  From the beginning it was obvious that an expensive, lower-resolution format that is only viewable on their expensive hand-held game system was a terrible idea.  I was surprised they sold any of the goddamn things to begin with.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 07:16:24 PM »

I think they should have had packs that were around $5 more than a regular DVD that consisted of both the DVD and UMD version of the movie.  It cant cost that much to produce UMDs and this way I'm sure they would have profited a little more.  Poor poor poor marketing on the UMDs in general though.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 07:42:52 PM »

I own UMD movies! :oops:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 09:30:48 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
I'm not sure how they really ever expected this proprietary format to survive anyway.  From the beginning it was obvious that an expensive, lower-resolution format that is only viewable on their expensive hand-held game system was a terrible idea.  I was surprised they sold any of the goddamn things to begin with.

UMDs are encoded at 720x480--same as DVDs--and are downscaled to play at PSP resolution. I never understood why SOny didn't have some sort of add-on where you could play UMDs on a TV.

Regardless, UMD was doomed because of its price. Movie studios would never allow any movie format  to be prced below standard DVD prices. They won't let anything cut in to DVD sales or put downward price pressures on current DVD MSRPs.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 10:51:22 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
UMDs are encoded at 720x480--same as DVDs--and are downscaled to play at PSP resolution. I never understood why SOny didn't have some sort of add-on where you could play UMDs on a TV.

Are they using a different laser than your standard DVD player?  If not, are they using a higher compression scheme to get the 720x480?  I can't believe a 2 hour movie would fit on one UMD disc at the same compression rate and with the same laser as your standard DVD fare.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 11:23:51 PM »

I guess it was more of an assumption that I made about the resolution given the size of the PSP screen and that the UMD can only hold a max of 1.8 GB (dual layered) vs a standard DVD of 4.7GB or 9 for double layer.  I would like to know how they can put a full resolution movie and goodies on a format that is at best 1/3 of the size of a DVD.  I suppose they just cut out the extra features and things like audio channels and options.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 12:10:41 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"

Are they using a different laser than your standard DVD player?  If not, are they using a higher compression scheme to get the 720x480?  I can't believe a 2 hour movie would fit on one UMD disc at the same compression rate and with the same laser as your standard DVD fare.

UMD uses MPEG-4, instead of MPEG-2. I don't know what the bitrates typically are for UMDs vs. DVDs, but MPEG-4 is much more efficient than MPEG-2. It's reasonable to assume that UMD movies are equivalent to DVD quality.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 02:06:53 AM »

Can you find any source that says what resolution the UMD movies actually are?  Everything I run across only references the resolution of the PSP itself but not the movie or the fact that they are sampled down for that screen.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: