http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 08:40:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone is using my email to sign up for spam  (Read 1317 times)
Ascendent
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2006, 06:39:32 PM »

In the last week I'm averaging about 60-70 emails of spam per day if not more. This is my gmail account and I'm loath to give up my account is there anything I can do to counter this?

Ascendent
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 07:05:17 PM »

Find the guy responsible and chop off his hands.

Seriously I woudn't mind if the people behind spam had their hands chopped off so they could never use a computer again.
I get an average of 15 spam emails per day (that's on top of what hotmail already catches in the junk filter).

Haven't used gmail so I can't really comment on it much, but most web-based email services have spam filters or some way to control junk mail. IMO, yahoo has the best one as it catches almost all of them. Hotmail only catches about half of them or so.

In the mean time if you're sure it's somebody going around adding your email to different email lists, you can contact the people who are sending you the emails and let them know what's going on. Some of them track the IP address when you enter an email address into the email lists and can find out who the person is.
Then of course the warning letter to the ISP that if that action doesn't stop his account will be suspended/terminated. Usually that's a good enough of a kick to the head to get them off your back.
Just be sure to contact at least a few of the places that your email was being used so you have a better chance of one of them following through and doing something about it.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
unbreakable
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 12:14:19 AM »

wow, I always assumed gmail was good at filtering out spam; I hardly get any, but then again that address doesnt really get used much.  It's just a 'professional' address, and I have a lot of tech mailing lists go there.  And personally, I prefer Hotmail (IMO the interface is way better).

Hmm, well I know you can mark "this is spam" or something on the mail; has that helped?  I'll just assume you did that, if not, try it out.

Otherwise, I would just open up another account.  I started using web based mail way back before MS purchased Hotmail, and in that time I've gone through about five accounts which I dropped due to getting too much (50+/day) spam.  Yeah, it really sucks changing accounts, but when you open your mail and only get real mail, it really is worth it.

Advice on how to transition, I would maintain both accounts for a while until your friends get used to using your new address.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 12:22:07 AM »

In my experience, 50-60 spam emails a day is pretty average.  Just make sure you file it away in your spam folder so it's trained to go there.  I usually have one or two every few hours that slip through the cracks.

What makes you think someone is using your email tho?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 01:22:40 AM »

well it's like thanks for joining entrvous yahoo message board and stuff like that tons of it. Secondly it's not 3-4 spam mails it's like

welcome to entrvous 6:14
mail smtp undeliverable 6:10
welcome to crotch lovers 6:05

for example and 60-70 of them in batches. Why I believe someone is doing this well prior to last week I'd get maybe 1-2 spam emails a month. Now easily everyday 60-100 spam messages like that. I could be wrong but normally I don't get spammed that hard and I've been using email for years and years.

*shrugs* oh well probably give up the account and open a new one.

Ascendent
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 01:26:34 AM »

If they are all from yahoo, you can always block the yahoo domain.

However, I would try contacting Yahoo directly, and telling them someone is posting under your name.  There may actually be a link at the bottom of those emails (I would only follow stuff like that from a big company like Yahoo, however, since those are generally used to confirm valid addresses).
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 01:59:23 AM »

i've started having a huge increase in the amount of spam in my Gmail account recently as well...really sucks because it was great up until 3-4 days ago.  it looks like someone has started to spoof my Gmail address and use it to send random spam because i've started getting a ridiculous number of automated "Undeliverable Message" e-mails now...all the crap bouncing back from incorrect addresses is now netting me a hundred or more of this type of message every day.  thankfully, Gmail is doing a good job of sending almost all of them to my spam folder...only 5-10 get through during a day so far.  my biggest concern, besides the fact my address is apparently being used to spam other people, is that it's now become such a pain to scan my spam folder for things that shouldn't have gone there before putting it all in the trash though.

for now, i just have my fingers crossed that maybe it will ease up at some point in the future...i like my Gmail address and don't really want to change it...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 07:18:45 AM »

I have only had 1 piece of noticed spam hit my Gmail account. I don't use the conventional name.name@gmail that they suggested so that may be part of it.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 04:00:04 AM »

The 'undeliverable' is actually a way of subverting spam filters.

You send a message with a spoofed address (your target), and throw it at an email server to an address which does not exist.  It then fires off the undeliverable message, thereby being indirectly used to spam.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 03:04:17 PM »

You can report them to yahoo's abuse department and you can also report them to http://www.spamcop.net/

They usually require the headers from the email so they can track where it came from.

Most ISPs have an abuse department that uses abuse@<insertdomain> that you can send this information to.

Hope that helps.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 03:42:36 PM »

I find that lately a lot of spam has been directed to me personally. Evidently some scumbag I've done business with has sold my name to the spamers.

Ye Olde Farte
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 07:14:35 PM »

Spammers will sometimes use Blind Carbon Copy to make it look that way or to even make it look like it was not intended for you at all.

The proof is typically in the headers

It could also be possible that you have been targeted or signed up for a bunch of stuff you didn't want too.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 07:18:46 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
I find that lately a lot of spam has been directed to me personally. Evidently some scumbag I've done business with has sold my name to the spamers.

So you *ARE* going to get that enlargement with the new mortgage and a diploma?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 08:27:33 PM »

I think they got it backwards.Now I have s a small penis and a large mortgage and the papers to prove it!

Ye Olde Farte
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 09:15:16 PM »

I think they got it backwards.Now I have s a small penis and a large mortgage and the papers to prove it!

ROFL! Too funny Dbt. :lol:

On a related note, whenever i'm asked to supply an email for a form i know i don't need, i usually just use some random one @aol.com. I never thought that it may actually be someone's email  ninja
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 09:41:33 PM »

Quote from: "Jag"

ROFL! Too funny Dbt. :lol:

On a related note, whenever i'm asked to supply an email for a form i know i don't need, i usually just use some random one @aol.com. I never thought that it may actually be someone's email  ninja

I do the same, my heart breaks for [email protected] *chuckles*

Ascendent
jpinard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 10:15:11 PM »

I use Computer Asscoiates eTrust EZ spam guard.  I love it and it's super easy to use.  In fact I think they have the least intrusive anti-virus software too.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 10:33:25 PM »

[email protected] Tongue

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 12:27:54 AM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"

Personally, when forced to use one that won't actually send a confirm message to, I like using [email protected]. Scarily enough, it's taken about half the time. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 12:46:36 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Ha!  I typically use [email protected].

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 01:37:31 AM »

I always use the 'recommendation' (I think they intended it as an example, but oh well!) from ZoneAlarm, which is [email protected].

I'm curious how many people register with them using that address.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: