http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 08:59:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone give me some comic recommendations  (Read 1996 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »

I've recently been watching The Justice League now that we get Boomerang from our cable provider.   Watching it has brought back memories of my childhood and how much i love the superhero universe and stories.

Which got me thinking i'd like to start reading some comics.   However, i want to start something from the beginning.   I don't want to start a series thats been going for decades and have to research why certain stories have certain themes.

I don't know if this is possible, but is there a good series out that i can pick up and not have to go back too far to the beginning?   Something i can buy from a local comic or book store?   Any ideas or suggestions?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:39:49 PM »

Just buy trade paperbacks.  They usually have a self-contained story, even if there's a lot of history behind the characters.

The series I like to get people into is Fables, it's a more recent comic, started a few years ago about the characters from various fables having to flee their magical homelands into the mundane modern world, escaping from some overlord that's taking over the magical lands.  It's presented in a neat way and the writing is excellent.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 05:53:56 PM »

If you're looking to start from the beginning it's going to be kinda hard for most of the established characters (like most of those from Justice League).A good option for Marvel comics would be their Digital Comics Unlimited.  I haven't tried it yet as I'm having enough trouble keeping up with my weekly comic pickup, but for 10 bucks a month you get access to a large archive of their comics online. 

If you decide to try some books with history then Batman is about to start a major story arc called 'Batman R.I.P.', which supposedly is going to bring some major changes.  Anything from Marvel with the word Ultimate in the title is usually good, and the whole X-Men family is also going through a major re-tooling right now that's leading towards a darker future for the books  (so far 3 of the X-Books have had their groups given orders to start permanently taking out threats from Cyclops).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »

Hey X!

I've been an X-Men (and family) fan for so many years it's hard to not recommend some of them.  In order to not spend too much money on comics, I've tried to limit myself to Marvel comics only.

They've recently started a couple of new series.  The one I've really enjoyed is the (new) X-Force.  Definitely has a darker tone than some of the others and I absolutely love the artwork.  I think they are at issue 3 so most stores would have all 3 issues.  The other one which looks like it might be good is Young X-Men, they've only had one issue so far.

I also noticed Marvel started one of their summer storylines "Secret Invasion" which I probably should have picked up.  It involves lots of famous Marvel icons and the world being invaded by a shape-changing alien race (The Skrulls, I think).

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 07:17:29 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 29, 2008, 06:00:00 PM

I also noticed Marvel started one of their summer storylines "Secret Invasion" which I probably should have picked up.  It involves lots of famous Marvel icons and the world being invaded by a shape-changing alien race (The Skrulls, I think).

yep, the Skrulls.  It's going to be a massive event-  it has sold so well the first issue of Secret Invasion is already in it's third printing.  They also put out a trade paperback collecting the key stories from the past that lead up the the invasion.

Because I can,
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:15:10 PM »

If you like Star Wars, you can now get all of Dark Horse Comics 90's Tales of the Jedi series in 2 omnibuses. And you don't have to worry about the earlier backstory, because IIRC the TotJ series covers the earliest time line.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:37:57 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on April 29, 2008, 03:03:00 PM

I've recently been watching The Justice League now that we get Boomerang from our cable provider.   Watching it has brought back memories of my childhood and how much i love the superhero universe and stories.

Which got me thinking i'd like to start reading some comics.   However, i want to start something from the beginning.   I don't want to start a series thats been going for decades and have to research why certain stories have certain themes.

I don't know if this is possible, but is there a good series out that i can pick up and not have to go back too far to the beginning?   Something i can buy from a local comic or book store?   Any ideas or suggestions?

Marvel relaunched most of their major titles several years back.  They are the "Ultimates" line (i.e. Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Avengers, etc).  They'd be a good way to get into superhero stuff without having to wade through 40 years of comics.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 01:40:45 AM »

ok, i was at Islands of Adventure yesterday with my wife and son and went into the Marvel Comics store and found some magazines i really like and would like to start reading.

however, i'm lost on where to start and what order they were written in.   looking on different sites also doesn't give me much help.

what i rally have interest in is the Civil War series.   anyone have any clue as to where this series begins?   maybe a site that lists in order how they were released?

i'm also interested in Ultimate X-Men.   i don't care for Spiderman or Fantastic 4 much.....any other of these Ultimate Series any good?

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 03:32:22 PM »

just wanted to bump this up in case anyone can answer my post

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 03:35:41 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on May 08, 2008, 01:40:45 AM

i'm also interested in Ultimate X-Men.   i don't care for Spiderman or Fantastic 4 much.....any other of these Ultimate Series any good?

I picked up the uklt X-men and spider-man TPBs collecting the first year of each. I am far more impressed with spiderman than X-Men. It may be mostly because spider-man is far more focused. The world of Ult X-Men (at least in the first year) is not impressing me.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 03:52:57 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on May 08, 2008, 01:40:45 AM

what i rally have interest in is the Civil War series.   anyone have any clue as to where this series begins?   maybe a site that lists in order how they were released?

the main series was just called Civil War-  that'd be your best bet to start.  I don't think I've ever seen a list that gives the order the crossovers  should be read in though.

Because I can,
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 06:28:56 PM »

Hey, I just got into comics as a 36 year old guy last August and was drawn towards the Civil War storyline as well since it had wrapped up.  I found this visual guide to all the issues involved in the story which started I think back in the spring of '06. http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.766  I ended up going farther back in time to start in the Marvel Universe and spent a ton of money on Ebay, I went back to the renumbered start of Spider-Man and Daredevil in 1998 as my starting place and worked my way forward.  I got to Grant Morrison's run on one of the X-men titles and read that as soon as I was done with that Marvel rebooted the entire X-men series in July of '04 and I've bought just about every X trade since then.  I'm currently only up to about March of '05 in the Marvel universe.  The Ultimate Marvel universe has been going for about 10 years now but the series are collected in really nice oversized HC books that contain 12-13 issues in each one with some extras.  I've bought all of these and love the Spider-Man and Ultimates books with the Ultimate X-men right behind.  If you don't want to wade into all of the Ultimate universe I think you could get by just reading Ultimates 1 and Ultimates 2 by Millar & Hitch, it took forever for Millar to get the individual issues out for Ultimates 2 but coming into the hobby late that's no problem for guys like us who can just go pick up the HC full of 13 or 14 issues I forget which.

Right now I'm ordering my comics from DCBS an on-line retailer that sells them at a standard price of 40% off on preorders and sometimes up to 75% off, they also have an offshoot site called In Stock Trades which sells backissue and current trades at 35% off with free shipping after you spend a certain amount.  I mention this because just months after getting into the hobby I'm spending on average of $150+ each month at 40% off the cover price and watching my boxes of unread comics grow.  I'm trying to catch up with all the Marvel books I have (Loving Daredevil) then I'm going back to the start of Identity Crisis and working my way forward in DC.  I picked up tons of the cross over books from all the DC events at a comic book show in $.50 and $1 bin boxes and from ebay stores.  I'm just getting all the batman and associated character books from DC right now and dipping my toe in various independent stuff.

Oh Fables was mentioned above, I enjoyed the first trade of that and Y the last man as well, both part of the Vertigo line from DC.  People swear by Walking Dead from Image and I'll probably get around to that in the future once I get through more of this backlog I've created.

Oh going back to Civil War, Marvel has reprinted in chronological order most of the major issues in a 12 or 13 issue series called Civil War Chronicles, each issue of that contians 2-3 of the original issues that made up Civil War.  You'd probably have to go to a comic store to find some of them and get the rest off of on-line retailers that deal in back issues like Mile High Comics which can be found in the stores section on Ebay.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »

wow, thanks Rich.   when i have more time, i got alot of questions to ask you.

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 09:19:32 PM »

does this look like the first issues of Civil War?   i just don't know where to start!

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Front-Line-Book/dp/0785123121/ref=cm_lmf_tit_9_rdssss0

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 02:10:02 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on May 10, 2008, 09:19:32 PM

does this look like the first issues of Civil War?   i just don't know where to start!

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Front-Line-Book/dp/0785123121/ref=cm_lmf_tit_9_rdssss0

this is the main series.  Front Line fills in some gaps and The Road to looks to be some issues setting the stage.  So I guess for the main books it'd be 'Road to' then 'Civil War' followed by 'Front Line' volumes 1 and 2 and then there'a bout 14 other trades collecting all the side stories.

Because I can,
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 04:56:58 AM »

OK, first of all the reason I had this spread sheet done already and did the one in the post following this one is that I haven't read it yet either and made them so I could decide on what I was going to buy when the time came for me to read them so no big deal about the work I put in.

Definitely start with Road to the civil war or go back just a bit further and read Spider-Man: The Other which leads you right into Road.

I could list the entire series in order as I've found it posted on various message boards around the net but I wanted to point out that all the issues and spin off issues have been collected and sold as a digital DVD by Marvel, it includes 199 issues, Everyone is out of stock on this but the Amazon market place. CIVIL WAR MARVEL COMPLETE COMIC COLLECTION DVD-ROM

Ok here is the list of issues in a pretty damn close reading order along with what TPB to find the issue in.  There are I think 17 or 18 different trades to get through this list you would have to buy.  I'll try to come up with a cheaper list that eliminates a lot of the side story tie-in issues.  This was a huge event that I think hit just about every title they had going on in the main earth-616 universe except for two other events that ran at the same time called Planet Hulk and the cosmic series Annihilation. This list doesn't include the major ending to the story because at the time I made the spreadsheet there was 1 issue that hadn't been collected in a TPB yet but I think it comes out sometime in May or June, for sure by the time you would actually get to it.

Issues
Amazing Spider-Man 529
Amazing Spider-Man 530
Fantastic Four 536
New Avengers: Illuminati Special
Amazing Spider-Man 531
Civil War Opening Shot Sketchbook
Fantastic Four 537
Civil War 1
Marvel Spotlight: Millar/McNiven
Amazing Spider-Man 532
She-Hulk 8
Wolverine 42
Civil War 2
Civil War Front Line 1
Civil War Front Line 2
Amazing Spider-Man 533
Fantastic Four 538
New Avengers 21
Thunderbolts 103
Wolverine 43
X-Factor 8
Civil War 3
Civil War Front Line 3
Civil War Front Line 4
Civil War: X-Men 1
Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways 1
Amazing Spider-Man 534
Black Panther 18
Cable & Deadpool 30
Fantastic Four 539
New Avengers 22
Thunderbolts 104
Wolverine 44
X-Factor 9
Civil War 4
Civil War Front Line 5
Civil War Front Line 6
Civil War: X-Men 2
Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways 2
Amazing Spider-Man 535
Cable & Deadpool 31
Fantastic Four 540
Heroes For Hire 1
Ms. Marvel 6
New Avengers 23
Thunderbolts 105
Wolverine 45
Civil War Files
Civil War: X-Men 3
Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways 3
Cable & Deadpool 32
Captain America 22
Heroes For Hire 2
Ms. Marvel 7
New Avengers 24
Wolverine 46
Civil War: Choosing Sides (One Shot)
Civil War: Front Line 7
Civil War: X-Men 4
Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways 4
Captain America 23
Heroes For Hire 3
Iron Man 13
Ms. Marvel 8
New Avengers 25
Wolverine 47
Civil War 5
Civil War Front Line 8
Amazing Spider-Man 536
Captain America 24
Fantastic Four 541
Iron Man 14
Moon Knight 7
Punisher: War Journal 1
Wolverine 48
Civil War 6
Civil War Front Line 9
Black Panther 23
Civil War: War Crimes (One Shot)
Iron Man/Captain America Special
Moon Knight 8
Punisher: War Journal 2
Winter Soldier: Winter Kills
Civil War 7
Amazing Spider-Man 537
Amazing Spider-Man 538
Black Panther 24
Blade 5
Civil War Front Line 10
Fantastic Four 542
Fantastic Four 543
Moon Knight 10
Punisher: War Journal 3
Civil War Front Line 11
Civil War: Battle Damage Report
Black Panther 25
Printed In
The Road to Civil War
The Road to Civil War
The Road to Civil War
The Road to Civil War
The Road to Civil War

The Road to Civil War
Civil War
Civil War Companion
Amazing Spider-Man Volume 11
Civil War: Marvel Universe TPB
Wolverine Volume 8
Civil War
Civil War Front Line Volume 1
Fantastic Four Volume 1 TPB
New Avengers Volume 5
Thunderbolts Volume 2
Wolverine Volume 8
X-Factor Volume 2
Civil War
Civil War: X-Men TPB
Civil War: Young Avengers & Runaways TPB

Cable & Deadpool Volume 6
New Avengers Volume 5
Thunderbolts Volume 2
Wolverine Volume 8
X-Factor Volume 2
Civil War
Heroes for Hire Volume 1 TPB
Ms. Marvel Volume 2
New Avengers Volume 5
Thunderbolts Volume 2
Wolverine Volume 8
Civil War Companion
Captain America Volume 5 TPB
Ms. Marvel Volume 2
New Avengers Volume 5
Wolverine Volume 8
Thunderbolts TPB
Civil War Front Line Volume 2
The Invincible Iron Man Volume 3 TPB
Ms. Marvel Volume 2
New Avengers Volume 5
Wolverine Volume 8
Civil War
Moon Knight Volume 2 TPB
Punisher War Journal Volume 1 TPB
Wolverine Volume 8
Civil War
Black Panther Volume 4

Civil War
Black Panther Volume 4
Blade Volume 1 TPB

Civil War Companion
Black Panther Volume 4
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:18:02 AM by Rich » Logged

PS3 - PTCynic
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 06:08:11 AM »

OK Marvel has come up with a more concise version of Civil War where they say and I quote " Experience CIVIL WAR and its major tie-ins in chronological order!"  I've made up a list again where I only include these issues and their trades they are found in.  The last four I'm not really sure what order to read them in since the actual Chronicles issues that contain them aren't on the stand yet but I'm positive I have the last two right it is just the two before  Civil War: Confession that I'm not sure about.  Now buying the 8 trades that make up this list will give you a few extra FF stories and a couple of Iron Man issues that I don't know off hand where they would fit into this list.  You also get a One shot that I'm not sure where it fits in along with the post Civil War stories of Captain America in the trade that isn't out yet. And if you wanted to start out before Road to the Civil War I think Spider-Man: The Other led directly into Spider-Man 529.  I have read The Other and thought it was a good 12 part story, it was actually where I originally was going to start when I jumped into comics last summer but I decided to go back further in time after reading it instead of moving on to Civil War. I edited the first post above to include the link to The Other.

Amazing Spider-Man 529
Amazing Spider-Man 530
Fantastic Four 536
New Avengers: Illuminati Special
Amazing Spider-Man 531
Civil War #1
Civil War: Front Line #1
Amazing Spider-Man 532
Civil War #2
Amazing Spider-Man 533
Civil War: Front Line #2
Civil War: Front Line #3
Civil War: Front Line #4
Civil War: Front Line #5
Fantastic Four 538
Civil War #3
Amazing Spider-Man 534
Fantastic Four 539
Fantastic Four 540
Civil War #4
Fantastic Four 541
Fantastic Four 542
Civil War: Front Line #6
Civil War: Front Line #7
Civil War: Front Line #8
Amazing Spider-Man 535
Civil War #5
Amazing Spider-Man 536
Civil War: Front Line #9
Amazing Spider-Man 537
Civil War #6
Civil War: Front Line #10
Civil War #7

Civil War: Front Line #11
Amazing Spider-Man 538
Civil War: The Confession
Captain America #25
Road to the civil war
Road to the civil war
Road to the civil war
Road to the civil war
Road to the civil war
Civil War
Civil War: Front Line vol. 1"Part One"
The Amazing Spider-Man TPB vol. 11"The War at Home, Part 1"
Civil War
Fantastic Four TPB vol. 1 "Civil War"
Civil War
Civil War
Civil War: Front Line vol. 1"Book 2"
Civil War
Civil War
Civil War

The Invincible Iron Man TPB vol. 3 "Civil War"
NEW CAPTAIN AMERICA TPB NOT DUE OUT UNTIL JUNE 11th

This option comes to exactly $90.01 plus the Trade that isn't out yet but including Spider-Man: The Other at In Stock Trades with free shipping.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 06:25:39 AM by Rich » Logged

PS3 - PTCynic
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 12:20:20 PM »

ok, just so i understand correctly.......

Amazing Spider-Man 529                      Road to the civil war
etc
etc
etc

this means the comic to buy is Amazing Spider-Man 529, but what is the list to the right?  am i not looking at things straight?  kinda confused at how you have everything listed.

and are you saying that Spider-Man: The Other is really the starting point for the series?

regardless, thanks a ton.   once i understand how to read this list, i'm gonna start getting some issues.

also, what are the reputable places to buy?    reasonable priced, reliable delivery, etc.

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 02:49:59 PM »

I think the one on the left was the original release by issue. The one on the right is where you can find it in a collected edition.

e.g. "Road to the Civil War" is a collection of "Amazing Spider-Man 529-531, "Fantastic Four" 536, and "New Avengers: Illuminati Special."

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008, 06:46:38 PM »

ok, cool.   gonna order up a few things.....definitely Spider Man The Other and maybe even Amazing Spider-Man 529 and Amazing Spider-Man 530

really excited about reading the series

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008, 06:57:08 PM »

just checking Ebay it looks like i can get alot of this stuff for real cheap there.

Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »

Crayola was correct the column on the Left is the individual issues that made up Civil War while the list on their right is what Trade Paper Back (TPB) the issue was collected into.  If you want to buy trades I highly recommend InStockTrades.com or Ebay.

Now if you like and want to buy the single issues and there are no comic cons both soon and near to you then Ebay is your best bet but I wouldn't rule out checking local comic book shops and just peek at their back issue bins.  The two comic book shops near me charge way too much for back issues so I stick to Ebay and Ebay stores.  A couple of Ebay stores that come to mind are Mile High Comics which has a low flat rate shipping price of $3-$4 and MyComicShop, I'm sure there are plenty of others but those are the two that I remember using the most.

I actually did go the Ebay Store route when I bought up all of the infinite crisis tie-ins and mini series.  Some guy had the whole thing listed for some crazy Buy It Now price of $400.  I managed to use his giant list of comics he had listed in his auction and bought them all from 3 different Ebay Stores for a total of less than $175 shipped.  I've jumped in too fast and had too much overtime money to burn last fall, for instance I bought the entire run of "52" on an Ebay auction only to find out later it would have been cheaper as well as easier to manage to just buy the 4 TPB's that collected it.  Marvel is really good at getting most of their trades out fast but now they tend to release them all as hardbacks first and then the trade the next month or two later.  Marvel has also increased the list price of a lot of their trades this year.  The oversized Ultimate hardcover books used to be $30 and then you could get them for less than $20 at online retailers.  They raised the price on those to $40 with the last collection of Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men.  DC on the other hand seem to be very spotty with collecting stuff in trades, events and crossovers seem to come out fairly fast but their trades of their ongoings never seem complete often skipping issues and take forever to come out, Batman is guilty of this from what I can tell from reading Previews.  Previews by the way is like a giant catalogue that comes out each month and shows all the stuff that is scheduled for release(solicited) 2 months later, you can use this to pre-order your comics from a local shop or an online retailer like DiscountComicBookService where you can get the stuff for usually 40% off or more.

The reason I say start with Spider-Man: The Other is that the writers make some big changes to Spider-Man in the book that look like they are a big part of the whole Spider-Man/Iron Man relationship that is showcased at the start of Civil War plus you get 12 issues in a single trade for a great price that I thought was a pretty good read at the time.  The only thing I had read prior to that was the first TPB of Gaiman's The Sandman series that I had bought years ago but just couldn't get into back then.

This may all look like a giant headache and money sink and it kind of is but man if this Marvel event seems confusing try to figure out the DC Universe from Identity Crisis to today, talk about a cluster fuck of tie-ins and miniseries and weekly series.  From what I can tell from both reading and listening to comic book podcasts is that continuity is both the reason comic fans love to collect, read, and discuss comics as well as the bane of getting new readers into the hobby.  My brother-in-law has been collecting comics for at least 20 years so I have a go to guy to ask questions about the hobby but Marvel and DC really should hire guys to go back to these major events that encompass their entire universes and have them put the issues in order of continuity not just the order they were released in since the two seem to never coincide correctly and then post these on their websites.

PS3 - PTCynic
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 09:16:55 PM »

I think I'll stick to the movies for these classic superhero characters, it's easier than deciphering so much backhistory.

But, I enjoy more contained stories like Crossing Midnight and Fables.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 07:55:26 PM »

just grabbed Spiderman The Other from Books a Million.   Got a few of the other Amazing Spiderman from ebay for cheap.

looking forward to getting started tonight!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: