http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:39:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone's been using my Netflix account  (Read 527 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2014, 10:11:59 PM »

I logged into Netflix today and noticed it was recommending me a lot of movies featuring African-American actors. Looked closer and my recent views showed a whole lot of movies I never watched. Looked at my viewing history, and it shows someone watching entire seasons of "How I Met Your Mother" going back at least to mid-December (it doesn't go back farther than that).

I changed my password and I'll have to see if that knocks the person out, or if they've got a device set up, in which case I'll need to call support and see if they can ID it.

What concerns me more is how this person got my password. It's a password I've used a lot, although now it's mostly used on low security things.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 02, 2014, 10:11:59 PM

I logged into Netflix today and noticed it was recommending me a lot of movies featuring African-American actors. Looked closer and my recent views showed a whole lot of movies I never watched. Looked at my viewing history, and it shows someone watching entire seasons of "How I Met Your Mother" going back at least to mid-December (it doesn't go back farther than that).

I changed my password and I'll have to see if that knocks the person out, or if they've got a device set up, in which case I'll need to call support and see if they can ID it.

What concerns me more is how this person got my password. It's a password I've used a lot, although now it's mostly used on low security things.

Sign out all devices too.  Did you recently sell trade-in an old device, it may just be running off that and not be an intentional hack.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »

it's almost certainly the 360 you traded in
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 11:02:36 PM »

You can also log into Netflix on a PC, go to your accounts page and force a signout of all devices. We had the same thing happen when our house was broken into two years ago. They got our Kindle Fire and our ipad.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 11:59:46 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 02, 2014, 10:23:41 PM

Oh, good catch. I wiped the whole thing but I guess that's not enough?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 01:07:06 AM »

Perhaps you didn't wipe well enough?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 01:10:05 AM »

Is this the modern day Goldilocks?
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 01:10:16 AM »

I think it registers a hardware code at the Netflix side and associates that to your account, as opposed to user/pass.  Didn't the 360 do a code match to setup?  I remember it that way but it's been a while.   Netflix needs to let you see all registered devices like Amazon does, and I think they used to do this but when I looked earlier today I didn't see it listed.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 01:55:12 AM »

Yeah, and I checked with Netflix and they won't do a single device reset. So, all devices have been reset and I'll have to reinstate them one by one.

Oddly enough, the Xbone didn't require a code or sign in, so it must have some way of linking up with Netflix via your Microsoft account.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 03:43:45 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 02, 2014, 11:59:46 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on January 02, 2014, 10:23:41 PM

Oh, good catch. I wiped the whole thing but I guess that's not enough?

This explains a LOT.  I need to have them scrub my devices too then....I have a lot of movies being watched that I know I own on BluRay - no point in watching them on NetFlix. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 06:52:22 PM »

I wiped my 360 in prep to trade it in, then ended up not trading it in.  Both Hulu and Netflix started up just fine when I opened them on the empty-except-for-my-fiance's-gt 360.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 08:20:36 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 04, 2014, 06:52:22 PM

I wiped my 360 in prep to trade it in, then ended up not trading it in.  Both Hulu and Netflix started up just fine when I opened them on the empty-except-for-my-fiance's-gt 360.

Fiance? Wow man, this is contagious! First Ridah, now you. (unless of course you already mentioned it to me and I simply wasn't paying attention).

Spoiler for Hiden:
Lucky women.
[/sarcasm]

slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: