http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:51:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Solomon Kane  (Read 1158 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2009, 03:34:27 AM »

anyone a fan of the Robert E. Howard series?  if so, you may want to check this out.  I've never heard of the series before (only Conan and Kull), but reading that has me grabbing this for my iPhone.

now granted, Knowles can be a fanboy, but the description of the material is what is selling me on this, and hopefully the movie is actually as good as he makes it sound.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:16:42 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 04:47:19 AM »

Cool... always liked his less well-known characters (Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn) as much as the ones people know about like Conan and Red Sonja and Kull. Any idea when this movie will hit the states?

Also stumbled across something called The Planet Stories Library - "Classic Fantasy for a New Era". Enjoyed Almuric, something by REH in a Burroughs / Alan Burt Ackers style I hadn't heard of before. They have other writers from that era as well, for example Henry Kuttner (who contributed to the Cthulhu mythos, amongst other things) and married C.L. Moore who penned the "first significant female sword-and-sorcery protagonist" Jirel of Joiry. Lots of good stuff there.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »

The trailer delivers a serious amount of ass-whippery.

James Purefoy was one of the best parts of "Rome," a series so epic and great I cannot stop drooling over it no matter how hard I try. This looks awesome. I'm hoping it's not playing at the local art houses and instead gets a wider release, but we'll have to wait and see.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 03:19:48 PM »

Wow... as noted, looks awesome. Can't wait.  icon_cool

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:14:16 AM »

Arise!

they're screening this at Comic-Con this week, and the theatrical release in the US will finally happen this fall- video on demand August 24th and then theatrical September 28th.

CAPTAIN SOLOMON KANE is a brutally efficient 16th Century killing machine. Armed with his signature pistols, cutlass and rapier, he and his men unleash their bloodlust as they fight for England in war after war on all continents.

As the story opens, Kane and his band of pillagers are carving a bloody path through hordes of defenders in an exotic city in northern Africa. But, when Kane decides to attack a mysterious nearby castle to plunder its rumored riches, his mission takes a fateful turn.

One by one, Kane’s men are picked off by demonic creatures until he alone is left to face the Devil’s own Reaper -- dispatched from the depths of Hell to lay claim to his hopelessly corrupt soul. Though Kane at last manages to escape, he knows that he now must redeem himself by renouncing violence and devoting himself wholly to a life of peace and purity.

His newfound spirituality, however, is quickly put to the ultimate test when he begins his journey across an England ravaged by diabolical human Raiders controlled by a terrifying, masked Overlord. After Kane fails to thwart the brutal slaughter of the Crowthorns, a Puritan family that has befriended him, he vows to find and free their enslaved daughter Meredith -- even if it means jeopardizing his own soul by re-embracing his murderous talents for a higher cause. His determined search eventually brings him face to face with his family’s own deadly secrets as he attempts to save Meredith and all of England from the forces of evil.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:15:56 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »

That trailer didn't look particularly great to me, and the fact that it's apparently been sitting around for 3 years doesn't bode well either I assume.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »

I actually saw this last year (UK versions of the DVD have been available for quite some time) and while it's not the Solomon Kane of my childhood, it was a decent enough sword and sorcery...and flintlock action film. 

Then ending is a bit of a CGI mess, and the beginning establishes that the character isn't going to be what Howard intended, but overall it's a fun matinee type film.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »

This is now available on the zune marketplace. Rented through xbox live and I thought I was a very underrated and entertaining flick.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 12:06:45 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on August 27, 2012, 06:47:33 PM

This is now available on the zune marketplace. Rented through xbox live and I thought I was a very underrated and entertaining flick.

Just watched it via iTunes.  I agree, an enjoyable B-movie.  
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 04:35:40 PM »

It's a hell of a lot better than the new Conan the Barbarian too.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 07:16:15 AM »

Just watched it, thought it was great. Very much dug it.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 04:23:07 PM »

Man, how did I miss this? Don't tell me. I was busy with games.  icon_razz

Had it in my Netflix queue for a while and quite enjoyed it last night. It was like Lord of the Rings crossed with Shane crossed with Sam Raimi's Army of Darkness crossed with The Exorcist. I giggled at times watching it, only out of glee. I might have to track it down on DVD.  icon_cool

Would've loved to have seen it in a theater. Oddly Box Office Mojo doesn't have domestic figures for it, just a $19M foreign box office number. I don't remember how it did over here.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=solomonkane.htm

Catching up on video featurettes:
http://www.solomonkanethemovie.com/video-archive.html

Purefoy (I mean this as a compliment) reminds me a bit of Hugh Jackman, and has that same animal intensity when portraying anger yet seems really appealing as a nice guy s well.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 04:30:53 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 06:57:27 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on March 01, 2014, 04:23:07 PM

I don't remember how it did over here.

That's easy- it didn't. Was direct to video over here

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up