http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 05:27:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soft drinks?  (Read 758 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2014, 04:41:36 AM »

I like beer, a little bit too much. This realization hit me about a year ago (well truthfully I always knew this, but I finally started to take it seriously about a year ago) and in that time I have been trying to drink a variety of different drinks from coffee, tea, flavored waters, and soda. I pretty much always have to have a drink, usually water, throughout the day. I am bored with water though, and since my lifestyle has become much less active I really need to cut back on the calories.

Anyone have any suggestions? Mio is kind of meh. I love Vitaminwater Zero, but at $1.25 a bottle I limit myself to one a day. Crystal Light has aspartame in it, which I won't drink. Anything I am missing?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 07:23:32 AM »

I have the same problem. There's nothing I like as much as beer. I drink seltzer all day and beer all night. But Sunday night is sober night and I need something else.

I've settled on Waist Watchers soda, which uses sucralose so it's zero calories without the nasty aspartame aftertaste. The chocolate fudge and cherry flavors aren't bad as sweet stuff goes.

I'm still looking for a good Not-Beer with no calories, no caffeine, no alcohol, and no sugar, and that isn't water. Doesn't seem to be such a thing except maybe for near-beer, and that shit's just nasty. Tried decaf coffee but that always made me get up in the middle of the night to pee.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »

Some teas are free of everything including caffeine, that's what I go to if it's late (at least I used to, when I slept like a normal person). Tea is probably is the most interesting non-alcoholic drink for me, many different flavors and subtleties (Tazo and Teavana). I just can't drink it cup after cup.

Never heard of Waist Watchers but I have never found a diet soda to be drinkable. Well besides Coke Zero, but that has aspartame. I really don't drink anything with artificial sweeteners (Vitaminwater Zero is a natural sweetener), which knocks most drinks out of my consideration unfortunately. I should probably get over that. It can't be worse than the 2-3 cans of Coke/Sprite I drink now.

That's another drawback of lack of alcohol, I drink/eat a lot more sugar.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »

I started drinking carbonated water in cans from the local supermarket (Kroger fwiw).  They have it in plain and lime/lemon flavors.  They have zero sweeteners at all, artificial or otherwise.  They are actually quite refreshing once you get started and it FEELS like I'm drinking soda or beer so the desire is mostly quenched.  As a result I'm saving a LOT of calories. 

The depressing thing is they cost the exact same as the soda of the same brand, the good thing is that cost is pretty cheap.  On sale (which happens a lot) they are 8-12 cents a can. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 02:43:04 PM »

Yeah, count me as another seltzer / club soda convert.  I used to not like it at all, but I've now acquired the taste and it's such a great guilt-free not-water thing to drink.  I keep considering joining the soda stream bandwagon because I like it so much.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 06:55:29 PM »

I drink seltzer all afternoon so I need something heartier in the evenings. Hadn't thought about herbal teas. Do those have the same diuretic quality as decaf coffee? Getting up in the middle of the night ruled that one out.

Waist Watchers is the only soda I know of that uses sucralose ("Splenda"), but there are probably others. The taste is (to me) indistinguishable from sugar and sucralose isn't as carcinogenic as aspartame, although a recent study says heavy consumption might eventually lead to lukemia. (shrug) I only drink a liter a week, so not worried about it.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 07:18:10 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 07, 2014, 06:55:29 PM

I drink seltzer all afternoon so I need something heartier in the evenings. Hadn't thought about herbal teas. Do those have the same diuretic quality as decaf coffee? Getting up in the middle of the night ruled that one out.

I haven't had any issues, but then again I don't sleep for more than about 2 hours at a time (not because of that).

I would love something heartier in the evening as well, but after years of drinking, I figured it was time to cut that crap out if I want to be live into my old age (had a health scare a few months back but it was all in my head/stress). Plus, drinking good beer get's really expensive. I limit myself to $40 a month for beer, so about 4 6-packs. I won't say how much I used to spend. icon_confused

Just got some seltzer water (thanks for the recommendations), figured I would do a taste comparison of Canada Dry vs Krogers so got a 12 pack of each. I didn't look at prices until I got home. $2.50 for the Kroger, but $6.50 for the Canada Dry, that's more than they wanted for Coke products. Anyway, I better like it, I have a case of it in my fridge.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:52:57 PM by Lee » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 07:35:07 PM »

If it's not flavorful enough for you at first, a little squeeze of lime or lemon is a healthy way to doctor it up.  And if you're looking to save money, don't forget that a 2 liter bottle will be way cheaper than cans.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »

keep in mind that the various flavored Kroger ones can be a bit odd at first, simply because they are completely unsweetened and most people aren't used to it.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 08:36:10 PM »

I bought the lemon/lime stuff.

Drinking some now...needs gin. icon_wink
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 09:45:45 PM »

you can build your own water carbonator for about $170:
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2012-06/how-make-your-own-home-carbonation-system

just get the CO2 tank refilled when it runs out ($15, after making ~250 liters from a 5-lb tank)
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 07, 2014, 06:55:29 PM

Hadn't thought about herbal teas. Do those have the same diuretic quality as decaf coffee?

it depends on the herb, of course. i think many are not diuretic at all (or very mildly so), while some (like nettle, dandelion and yarrow) are used expressly for that purpose, due to their "diuretic effectiveness".
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 09:50:58 PM by hitbyambulance » Logged
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 12:02:15 AM »

Here is a review of some soda makers, http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-soda-maker/
I have a soda stream but don't use it much, I like lime flavored seltzer from Trader Joes at .99 per liter.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 02:49:54 AM »

Quote from: Lee on February 07, 2014, 07:18:10 PM

I would love something heartier in the evening as well, but after years of drinking, I figured it was time to cut that crap out if I want to be live into my old age (had a health scare a few months back but it was all in my head/stress). Plus, drinking good beer get's really expensive. I limit myself to $40 a month for beer, so about 4 6-packs. I won't say how much I used to spend. icon_confused

Most of my income goes to beer, but I don't buy anything else so that's OK. It's a wee bit more than a buck a bottle in 12-packs.

My parents gave up beer when they were around 60. I once told my mom "I suppose someday some doctor will tell me I have to quit, too." She said "No, your body will tell you that." It's been 57 years and it hasn't balked yet.  thumbsup But I am cutting back a little to save on calories, hence my search for a satisfying low- or no-cal Sober Sundays beverage. 

Plain store-brand seltzer is 77 cents for a 2-liter bottle. Coca-cola just bought 10% of Green Mountain Coffee, the people who brought the Keurig machines to market, because they're working on a single-dispenser cold drink machine that somehow doesn't need CO2 cylinders. It's supposed to be the Soda Stream killer -- the gas refills are what holds its market penetration to 2-3% of American households.

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 01:29:59 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 08, 2014, 02:49:54 AM

Most of my income goes to beer, but I don't buy anything else so that's OK. It's a wee bit more than a buck a bottle in 12-packs.

My parents gave up beer when they were around 60. I once told my mom "I suppose someday some doctor will tell me I have to quit, too." She said "No, your body will tell you that." It's been 57 years and it hasn't balked yet.  thumbsup But I am cutting back a little to save on calories, hence my search for a satisfying low- or no-cal Sober Sundays beverage.  

Plain store-brand seltzer is 77 cents for a 2-liter bottle. Coca-cola just bought 10% of Green Mountain Coffee, the people who brought the Keurig machines to market, because they're working on a single-dispenser cold drink machine that somehow doesn't need CO2 cylinders. It's supposed to be the Soda Stream killer -- the gas refills are what holds its market penetration to 2-3% of American households.

A buck a bottle? What are you drinking? I should probably buy what is on sale, but I only buy 2 beers, Dale's Pale Ale and New Belgium's Ranger. I am in one of the best areas for beer and yet I drink CO beers. Not that the locals are any cheaper. Western WA is just extremely expensive on all things.

I could see myself getting into this seltzer thing, it's more interesting than plain water and looks to be cheap if I don't buy Canada Dry. Will have to check out Trader Joe's as well (thanks for the idea Zinfan).

Is Sodastream big enough that it needs a killer? Never heard any mention of the product before this thread (I was aware of it only because of the stock). I looked into it and the CO2 canister does seem to be too much trouble to make it worth it for me. I am pretty happy with my Keurig coffee maker, so if they got into the business, I would probably be an early adopter.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:52:17 PM by Lee » Logged
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »

Ill just chime in here on the soda stream machine.  It uses very expensive proprietary Co2 cartridges and does a fairly lame job of carbonating.  Mine sits unused now that the cartridge is out. They are a waste of money IMHO.  Hopefully the Keurig option pans out.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 04:14:50 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 08, 2014, 01:29:59 PM

A buck a bottle? What are you drinking?
Regional beers such as Sam Adams, Shipyard, Harpoon, Long Trail, Wachusett, and sometimes Smuttynose and Magic Hat. Sierra Nevada is often on sale as well. Between their everyday beers and their seasonals that's plenty of variety. Normal price is $15/12, sale price is $13/12. 6-packs are usually $10+ so I only buy those when I want something (such as porter or stout) that's not popular enough to be sold in 12's.

Is Sodastream big enough that it needs a killer?

Coca-cola would like to own that market. The regular soda business has been in decline for years. Their secondary bottled-water business is under assault from environmentalists. The make-your-own niche has potential, but the expense and inconvenience of CO2 cartridges holds sodastream back; Coke figures they can take the category mainstream if they can solve the CO2 drawback. Which Green Mountain has apparently done. 

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 06:07:46 PM »

Heres a link to the report on the Coca Cola partnership with Green Mountain.  http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/02/07/green-mountain-booming-with-coca-cola-partnership-for-new-cold-drink-system/m24yzEzI4T8KnWtX6ZoFYP/story.html

I seriously wish I had some big piles of Green Mountain stock before the Coke investment.  Green Mountain shares jumped from  $21.22 to $102.10 on Thursday, when the news came out.  From the article it sounds like the Keurig Cold machine is a reality so hopefully we should see it on the market soon. 

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 05:38:36 AM »

So Lee, are you suggesting that $80 a wk in beer is too much?  paranoid I only pay wholesale through my work. That surely makes it better, right? Tongue
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 06:35:59 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on February 08, 2014, 06:07:46 PM

Heres a link to the report on the Coca Cola partnership with Green Mountain.  http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/02/07/green-mountain-booming-with-coca-cola-partnership-for-new-cold-drink-system/m24yzEzI4T8KnWtX6ZoFYP/story.html

I seriously wish I had some big piles of Green Mountain stock before the Coke investment.  Green Mountain shares jumped from  $21.22 to $102.10 on Thursday, when the news came out.  From the article it sounds like the Keurig Cold machine is a reality so hopefully we should see it on the market soon.  

They're saying 2015.

As for sodastream, I think it does a good job carbonating, and it lasts longer than the carbonation in say a 2 liter bottle. That said, I think the soda flavors aren't on point.... best ones are the fruit flavors really.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 03:07:15 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on February 10, 2014, 05:38:36 AM

So Lee, are you suggesting that $80 a wk in beer is too much?  paranoid I only pay wholesale through my work. That surely makes it better, right? Tongue

A year ago, I was paying more than double that. Well not every month, but a bad month could go as high as $200 (I also drink scotch though which is very expensive). Being unemployed means I can't spend that much anymore even if I wanted to. But it's not really about the money, and more about my health and that it was time for me to start becoming responsible. Having finals to study for and papers to write means I don't have time for alcohol (although writing is much easier with a few beers).

I bought beer yesterday for the Walking Dead opening. I looked at beer prices. None of the good beers were cheaper than $7.50 with the vast majority at $7.99 for a 6 pack. 12 Packs were all $15-16 as well. I suppose I should get a Costco membership.

It seems I have taken to seltzer, been going through it and drinking less soda. It's really starting to grow on me, so thanks for the recommendations. Now I just need to find a place that sells it cheap. The Albertsons across the street is not that place. (I thought the grocery stores in FL sucked, Publix is far better than most of them here.)
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 05:09:54 PM »

I guess my beer bill works out to $40/wk. Was spending closer to $55 before I cut back last month. 

Seltzer is far cheaper in 2-liter bottles than in single-serving cans. My seltzer habit only costs me 40 cents a day.

Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 07:04:17 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 07, 2014, 02:43:04 PM

Yeah, count me as another seltzer / club soda convert.  I used to not like it at all, but I've now acquired the taste and it's such a great guilt-free not-water thing to drink.  I keep considering joining the soda stream bandwagon because I like it so much.

Do it! I've been using one for 6 or 7 years and I've got nothing bad to say about it. Just replaced our original at the end of last year with one that holds the bigger canister.
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 07:07:28 AM »

Quote from: Ironrod on February 10, 2014, 05:09:54 PM

I guess my beer bill works out to $40/wk. Was spending closer to $55 before I cut back last month. 

Seltzer is far cheaper in 2-liter bottles than in single-serving cans. My seltzer habit only costs me 40 cents a day.

Have you ever thought about getting a kegerator? I've built two out of old refrigerators and it's not as difficult as it seems. A 5 gallon keg from the local brewery is $75 and a 7.5g is $90. The 5 gal one lasts my wife and I just about a month drinking one or two beers per night each.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »

Quote from: Alefroth on February 16, 2014, 07:07:28 AM

Quote from: Ironrod on February 10, 2014, 05:09:54 PM

Have you ever thought about getting a kegerator? I've built two out of old refrigerators and it's not as difficult as it seems. A 5 gallon keg from the local brewery is $75 and a 7.5g is $90. The 5 gal one lasts my wife and I just about a month drinking one or two beers per night each.

Phenomenal idea.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 01:01:46 PM »

Kegerators aren't a good idea for people without willpower. I think there might be a name for that... icon_confused

I can keep hard alcohol or wine in my house and it can last months to a year. Beer, not so much. If I have it, I will drink it.

Back to seltzer, I found the Trader Joe's stuff, while dirt cheap, doesn't have the carbonation of the others I have tried. Perrier is easily my favorite so far, since it has the best natural tasting flavors to it. Not cheap though, probably ends up being as expensive as Canada Dry.

I really should check out to see if a Costco membership would be worth it, that could help keep me stocked for cheap.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 16, 2014, 01:01:46 PM

Kegerators aren't a good idea for people without willpower. I think there might be a name for that... icon_confused

I can keep hard alcohol or wine in my house and it can last months to a year. Beer, not so much. If I have it, I will drink it.

Being a creature of habit, I can easily stick to my beer ration as long as I'm counting 12-oz bottles. Give me a free-flowing tap and a bottomless glass? All bets are off. Plus if I had draft beer at home I would no longer have any reason to ever leave the house.

rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 16, 2014, 01:01:46 PM

Back to seltzer, I found the Trader Joe's stuff, while dirt cheap, doesn't have the carbonation of the others I have tried. Perrier is easily my favorite so far, since it has the best natural tasting flavors to it. Not cheap though, probably ends up being as expensive as Canada Dry.

I really should check out to see if a Costco membership would be worth it, that could help keep me stocked for cheap.

A Costco membership is worth it regardless of the seltzer water.  If you have one close by, check it out.  The return policy alone is worth it.

YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »

I've officially quit diet soda cold turkey. I started drinking them around ten years ago regularly, and it's gotten to the point where I HAVE to have one in the evenings while watching TV or playing a game - to the point I get severe cravings if I don't. Finally decided enough was enough - I don't need the caffeine, and I certainly don't need the aspartame. No nutritionist in the world will tell you diet sodas are good for you, so I knew I had to take drastic measures to curb the habit.

Like most of you in this thread, I've switched over to carbonated waters to help ease the cravings for something bubbly. It's still very tough, but I've just stopped buying them so that I'm not tempted. I don't mind drinking plain water, but it gets old, so for variety I've also started picking up Sobe waters, making unsweet tea, etc.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 07:27:40 PM »

I quit soda cold turkey.   I'm drinking about 100oz of water (large 'workout' bottle 3x a day for straight water) and then I drink the Costco flavored 0 carb waters (Talking Rain).  Takes care of the sweet tooth craving for soda, but not bad for me.  If I taste soda now it's like putting a battery on my tongue.   

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: