http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 08:10:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soda Stream thoughts?  (Read 440 times)
Arnir
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »

I'm a coke/cola/pop junkie.  I've been seeing ads for the SodaStream system.  Has anyone out there got any firsthand experiences with it?  The reviews are all over the place.

Thanks,

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 10:18:27 PM »

Yeah, we have one. It's pretty cool. The flavors are not bad - the Coke Zero copy is quite close to the real thing, except they use splenda vs. aspartame, so there is a difference. But like anything, you drink enough you get used to it.

We're not quite sure that the savings are huge, especially if you get the larger CO2 bottles and definitely if you get some of the special flavors that cost significantly more. What you do get is never having to recycle bottles, ease of having a wide-variety of flavors around, and a much lower chance of running out of soda as long as you keep an extra CO2 bottle in waiting. You can also mix your own flavors or fruit juices in.

The one thing I find a little annoying is that the bottles are all 1 liter.  Maybe we drink too much soda (all diet, though), but we go through liters fairly quickly. I would love a 2 liter version, but it would require them to design a new machine.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »

I liked it - but truthfully I think I liked the idea of it better than the reality.  The first time you make/mix one it's a cool experience and the taste is OK.  My problem is, just like many with other gadgets or appliances, I tend to get lazy - fast.  My original idea was to try to make lower sugar/calorie sodas that still tasted good to me (I don't do well with aspertane and other sweeteners), but the fact is I'd really have to do lots of experimentation to find something that really "works."  Lots of sodas I like I definitely wouldn't mind drinking the same thing with say, half the sugar, but no one makes stuff like that.  While this would be ideal once I figured it out, the problem is how many tries would it take and what would I do with all the failed attempts?

All that said, if you aren't lazy and want to just go with the standard mixes, it's actually pretty good (and kind of fun).
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:07:31 AM »

I've had one for over two years, and make 3 to 4 bottles of bubbly water per week. The only flavors I've tried were Lemon-Lime and Tonic. They were OK. It mostly gets used for the bubbly water, which we drink a lot of. I'd really like to get the one with the glass carafe, but it's so much more expensive.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:18:23 AM »

We have had one for about a year and like it. We've found most flavors to be pretty hit/miss. Generally we like the fruit flavors and find the traditional sodas to be meh in many cases, although my wife likes a couple more than me. I haven't tried the new sugar-based ones though. Again, doesn't necessarily save much over buying things on sale, but calories are less than regular soda, easier to get some variety, and fairly convenient.
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 03:20:33 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback, folks.  I picked up the Genesis model tonight (the only one they had) and hope to be able to try some out soon.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: