http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:01:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Social vices - do they limit you?  (Read 453 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:55:56 PM »

I don't smoke, so smoke breaks outside with others are something I have to force myself to remember to do, otherwise I miss out on smoker planning sessions. I don't drink so drinks after work aren't typically in the cards for me - I get strange looks for just having water anyway.   I just noticed recently that more and more often I'm finding out about information far later than everyone else because I don't participate in social vices.   Am I alone on this? 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »

No, not alone. It seems like 99% of the military smoke, chew, drink, and go to Hooters. The problem with me is that I don't get left out, but it is almost mandatory for me to go on a smoke break or out drinking.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
stessier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 12:15:02 AM »

I don't smoke or drink, but in my area, smoking is considered an outlier and starting next year will be completely outlawed on all our sites.  I still go to happy hours and just get a coke and enjoy the conversation.  We're all old though - happy hours break up early and no one really has much more than 1 drink.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 03:44:45 AM »

Don't smoke. Do drink. Don't feel limited.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 04:25:54 AM by ravenvii » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 04:41:32 AM »

I feel that not running a prostitution ring limits me because I don't get extra cash from it.  of course there are lots of farmers around here, and they do pride themselves on their tender beef round steaks....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 04:55:54 AM »

I'm the outlier in my company because I'm the only one on my team who has the very occasional beer or smoke. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 01:01:06 PM »

what do you do?  ( now it's stuck in YOUR head too)
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 02:31:25 PM »

I don't drink heavily and don't like beer. So I suffer weird looks when I get my ciders (although those are becoming more normal) or margaritas. Thankfully there's no big smoking contingent at work or anything, so worst I suffer is the occasional beer to be sociable.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »

I enjoy going out for drinks with friends and coworkers occassionally, so I don't feel like I miss anything in that regard. When it comes to smoking, I can't stand being around it, but I can honestly say that I don't think there is anyone within my social or work circles that touches cigarettes either...one of the 'perks' of being a physician and living in a state where smoking is banned in all public buildings and businesses. I very rarely have to deal with being around smokers, so that doesn't affect me either.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 06:07:21 PM »

If I was social, they likely would.  I don't smoke and can't stand to be around it, and I don't drink and can't stand to be around alcohol.  Honestly I find that because I don't use facebook and the like to be even more of a social hindrance.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_One_Where_Rachel_Smokes

Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) starts her new job at Ralph Lauren and soon feels left out because all the decision making takes place on smoking breaks and she does not smoke. Rachel attempts to solve the problem by taking up the habit, which proves difficult

icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 06:42:19 PM »

ah, Friends.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 09:10:55 PM »

I went to a happy hour once a few years into my career. I could not believe how differently people acted outside of the office. I'm pretty much the same person all the time.  When I saw how ugly, gossipy and backstabbing they could be outside of the office and then talk so sweetly to those they spewed about at the HH, I swore them off as I was better not knowing that there was such schizophrenia involved.

Not sure if it limits me, but I'm definitely not in the loop as much as I feel I could be.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 11:49:39 PM »

don't smoke, but I do drink.  the biggest limiter to my social climbing abilities has always been my distance from home.  I have taken smoke breaks with friends but more as a way to ensure I actually take them.  I won't drink too much when I have to consider driving home, often in heavy traffic. 

not a problem in the current job, but I do find the social aspects limiting from another separation.  FTE vs contractor.  it feels like we should always accept being split along those lines and not to mix in.  I hate it and it's part of the reason I have begun looking for a full time position elsewhere. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 11:50:43 PM »

I often feel this way.  I don't drink, I don't smoke, I am social but not a fan of parties, I am mostly indifferent to music, and I often feel like I'm a little bit of an outcast on the social side as a result.  Not many of my friends are into gaming or technology - they all want to smoke and drink and go fishing or play airsoft.   icon_neutral  I'm just glad I like sports or I would literally have nothing to talk to people in my circles about.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 09:24:48 AM »

I smoke and hate it... Drink as well and love it. Yummy beers for me. nod Social drinking is just another excuse. Tongue
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 11:42:11 AM »

I rarely do the social activity at work.  While I do drink  I don't smoke and I normally eat lunch by my lonely.  99.9 of my department is women, so I tend not to get involved.  Usually, my manager keeps me in the loop for need to know information

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: