http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:38:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, who caught the eclipse?  (Read 2372 times)
DonD
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2004, 12:48:42 PM »

We had clear skies from 9-11pm last night, allowing me to get a great view of the moon as it entered the earth's shadow, and began to take on the anticipated reddish color.

Soon after, the skies clouded over and it was time to head inside.

I took tons of pictures of the event, and for the most part, I'm pretty pleased with how they came.

Here's one, highlighting the characteristic red:

I've put up a bunch of other pictures of the event on my pbase gallery here.

Anyone else take some pictures?

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 01:44:27 PM »

Man I was bummed last night.  Thickest fog I've seen in ages settled over the area and I couldn't get a look at it.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 01:53:04 PM »

I saw it.  The clouds parted just in time.  Those pictures are outstanding by the way.

morlac00 on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 02:05:27 PM »

Saw it for the most part, but right as it was turning red the clouds moved in. Damn cloud cover in north Texas has been omnipresent of late, but I still got to enjoy it with the wife so all was well.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 02:27:43 PM »

Unfortunately the cloud cover was too bad and it was hard to tell what was the eclipse shadow and what was a passing cloud. Oh well. My neighborhood is generally terrible for any kind of cosmic viewing - too many tall houses and trees.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 02:49:07 PM »

I got a good look at it out here in California.  I'm glad someone at work told me about it, I didn't even know it was going to happen yesterday.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 02:50:07 PM »

Too cloudy here in Dallas.  frown
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 03:13:27 PM »

Fantastic view of it in Seattle last night smile

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 05:02:13 PM »

I saw it a little bit..was cloudy/foggy but could see it pretty good anyways. I am supposed to geta digital camera for x-mas and its things like this it will come in handy for.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 05:55:04 PM »

Wow, great pictures, Don!

I didn't go out, while my Dad did, but I was able to see the moon out the front door and I kept checking on it every 10 minutes or so.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 06:12:36 PM »

Thass one crazy cool pic you got there.  I caught it and was happy I did.  It was really bizarre when it started pulsing though...
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 06:51:58 PM »

I got this shot last night with my Drebel and new Sigma 70-300mm lens. I hadn't ever tried photographing the moon before, let alone an eclipse, and I just received that lens yesterday so had zero experience with it. I was very happy to get at least a couple of decent shots. This was my best one:

7:31:42PM
AE, 1.3s, f5.6, ISO800, 300.00mm, manual focus

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 07:31:07 PM »

POW ZOOM!....Thats where im sending my wife next time she asks me to do something, I do it, and she complains about how I did it.  :twisted: [/img][/url]

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 09:08:13 PM »

You're sending her to the moon?

Btw, nice picture Simon!
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 09:34:47 PM »

You did an awesome job Simon.

I had loads of trouble getting the right exposure.  Whether I metered on the dark part or light part of the moon, the camera wanted to expose the image way too long.

Fortunately, I bracketed the settings and unloaded the memory card after 100 or so shots, then saw what was going on, and adjusted what I was doing.

I also tried varying the ISO, though I was really pretty unhappy with the amount of noise (even after running noiseware) with the high ISO.

You picked out a great camera, and that Sigma lens is also quite a good one with a lot of bang for a relatively small buck.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2004, 09:53:01 PM »

I would love to see more pictures....sadly here in Phoenix it was cloudy and couldn't see it at all frown
Albion
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2004, 11:10:50 PM »

Nice pics!! No pics here in Indiana but I did have the opportunity to check in out since it was clear!
Enough
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 07:11:12 AM »

Very nice pictures everyone.  smile

I took a bunch with my digiscoping setup which is my poor man's afocal maker.  I was using a Nikon Fieldscope III 60mm ED w/a 30x flat field eye piece rigged to a Nikon 4500. Exposures were from 1/30 to 1 sec at 200 to 400 ISO de-noised with the free version of Helicon NoiseFilter. These were taken out in NE Colorado in the Pawnee National Grasslands.

The coyotes started howling right at the eclipse, it was quite the evening. Didn't even realize I was freezing cold until the moon started getting brighter again.   Cool

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2004, 03:05:36 PM »

Was anyone else concerned when the moon turned red that there was going to be a sudden vortex of evil coming from the sky? Or has Hollywood really warped me that much? slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2004, 03:08:53 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
You did an awesome job Simon.

Thanks, I think it was mostly luck though. smile I just kept changing settings around and hoped for the best. I learned a lot in the time I was out there though. I'm going to head out again when it's clear and try some more star trails and the moon again next time it's full.

I've been really happy with the Sigma lenses so far (I have the 18-125mm as well). I didn't want to spend a lot of money but wanted good all round quality glass, and I've been really impressed.
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2004, 07:20:43 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Was anyone else concerned when the moon turned red that there was going to be a sudden vortex of evil coming from the sky? Or has Hollywood really warped me that much? slywink

You're warped Tongue

Nice pictures, Enough!
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2004, 08:39:41 PM »

I walked out of work around 7:30pm Wednesday, and there it was, clear as can be!! Amazing, since it's Fall in Portland Oregon. We actually had clear skies.

Just wait until August 21, 2017. We are going to have a solar eclipse around 10:20am that will put us in the dark for about 2 minutes.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: