http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 10:05:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So when do you quit?  (Read 873 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2014, 10:24:36 PM »

So I've been at my job for coming up on three years now.  In that time I've had 8 bosses, 6 VPs, and 4 CIOs.  My newest boss sat back and analyzed things for over 4 months, leaving an ailing department to suffer in the wake.  We've also had 7 reorgs in that time.   I've not received a decent pay raise in three years.  (The first was pro-rated because reasons, the second they punished everyone because our current CIO was angry at our boss at the time, and the third got shuffled out to January to reset the cycle as we used to get raises in July)  I've been handed four teams to manage, with two managers reporting to me that I have to mentor.  I made a case for a promotion to Director more than enough times and I'm getting the runaround.   People adjacent to my boss in the org chart are telling me that it'll work itself out if I'm patient, but c'mon...I've been hearing that for three years.   I feel underappreciated and underpaid for the amount of work I do.   At what point do you say enough is enough?     icon_cry

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:28 PM »

Second to who you marry, I believe your job satisfaction is the most important contributor to your overall happiness and well-being. Most people spend more waking time at their job per day than they do at home. That's a big deal.

I don't advise quitting without a contingency plan or another job offer, but when you start asking yourself if it's time to quit, you probably already know the answer.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:29:04 PM »

Yeah, I'm not the type of person to jump ship at first sign of frustration and trouble (or second, or third sign) but there comes a point where you need to look after your own sanity and well being. 

I'm sure it's different with so much changing management, but sometimes you also just have to face the fact that the company you work for is never going to completely change, despite promises otherwise.  Everybody loves to promise they will do things differently and better, but without concrete plans for how to accomplish that it's really not too likely as people fall back into patterns.

Being in a volatile industry, I tend to try to keep enough money in the bank for at least a few months of rent and living if things go bad.  Recently I used that as a way to just quit and take a few months off when things were looking grim.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:31:01 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:45:26 PM »

This is a really tough one to crack.  I've been going through some similar pains at work (though nowhere near as bad as what you describe), so I certainly empathize.  I'd echo the sentiment that you probably already know the answer to your own question, and it's more of a matter of assessing what your alternatives are. 

That said, I'll play devil's advocate for a second for discussion's sake.  You mention not getting a raise, but how is your base salary, i.e. do you feel in general you are paid well, do you get other perks or bonuses?  Do you enjoy other aspects of the job?  Do you have friends/co-workers at work that you care about and enjoy being around, i.e. is the general day to day experience good?  How is your commute?  How demanding is the job on your time, i.e. are you left with plenty of time for important things like family and gaming and this website (and ME  slywink )?

Speaking from direct experience, it's very easy to become completely consumed with all the bad things you perceive, and forget the other factors that kept you at the job to begin with.  Definitely some things to keep in mind while assessing the alternatives.  A colleague of mine just left the company after 10 years and started a new job which she thought was going to be so much better for her career; while it's only been a week so far, I think she's already realizing the grass isn't always as green on the other side as it might seem...     
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 12:33:22 AM »

Not until you have another job. Going through the job hunt should help you confirm that your working conditions are really that bad... or perhaps make you realize it could be worse.

Either way, I would never quit without having another job offer.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 12:53:13 AM »

I'm in a similar situation, but I'm feeling trapped because my wife is going through crazy health issues and I'm worried a new company's health issues won't cover things as well as my current one is. But really, that's a cop-out, because I'm not even looking at what options are out there.

But I echo what everyone else is saying. Find new job, then quit old one. You not only get that nifty benefit of maintaining an income, everyone always says the search itself goes better if you still have a job and aren't urgent desperate to get the new one.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:04:55 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 25, 2014, 10:24:36 PM

So I've been at my job for coming up on three years now.  In that time I've had 8 bosses, 6 VPs, and 4 CIOs.  

When your life becomes a Dilbert cartoon, it's time to make a change.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 05:04:24 AM »

I take a very mercenary like approach to work. My goal is to maximize personal income while minimizing work bullshit. Generally speaking if I see an obvious upgrade in either (or both) of those categories, I'd jump - so long as I've spent enough time at a position to not look like a career short timer. The issue is you do get a lot of grass is greener syndrome, so make sure you are really not jumping out of the frying pan and into the fryer.

Generally I agree with the above advice on finding another job before quitting, but the position I had prior to this one was so frustrating for me that I resigned and decided to take some time off and resigned with no specific job lined up. It was a great decision. The time off was great and really made me be sure that my next job was something I wanted to do instead of just another option that seemed better than the incumbent. I even cut my planned time off quite a bit short to take the job.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 08:22:49 PM »

Yea, I'm not going to jump ship before I have sturdy something or other to land on.  I do feel like my job is paralleling a Dilbert cartoon though.

I told my boss today that I don't feel appreciated, haven't for several years, I think my previous bosses have torpedoed my chances of success here, and as a result I feel like I might need to start looking for other work.   I figure that'll either light a fire under his ass, nothing will happen, or I'll end up leaving.  Either way, it'll work itself out and I just started the countdown....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 08:56:28 PM »

If your asking yourself these questions, and have been doing so for awhile, it is time for a change. Be cautious, however, as the grass usually isn't much greener.......
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 09:14:25 PM »

This is why I hate work. Not because of the actual work, but bc of this shit.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 09:38:23 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 28, 2014, 09:14:25 PM

THIS!   I love my work, but there are so many people who seem to exist for the sole purpose of making my work more difficult.  Political posturing and ass covering make it worse until it's no longer bearable.  *shakes head*

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 03:38:51 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on July 28, 2014, 09:38:23 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on July 28, 2014, 09:14:25 PM

THIS!   I love my work, but there are so many people who seem to exist for the sole purpose of making my work more difficult.  Political posturing and ass covering make it worse until it's no longer bearable.  *shakes head*

It'll work out in the end. I'm still waiting for "the end", but I'm sure it will. nod
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 12:26:34 PM »

Sounds like somebody's got a case of the Mondays!

I agree with the second post. Your job can have a major effect on the overall health of your life.

Where I work we haven't had a pay raise in seven years, employees seem to mean nothing, turnover rate is at about 30%, and politics is always the top agenda.

A buddy of mine was recently fired, found a new job, and said it feels like a major weight was lifted off his shoulders. He feels free now, with a lot less stress in life. He said he never realized how much that job brought him down until he was no longer there.

I was held over Easter sunday (mandatory over-time) stayed as I had to, then on Monday when I had to take my mother to cancer treatment, they said I was being held over again. Explained to the OIC that I could always get another job, but not another mother, and I'd say over-time any day of the week except monday as I had to put my family first.
I was told "Facility needs' needed to come first. So I refused and got a written reprimand for it. Nevermind the fact that I already worked my 8 hour shift.

You definitely aren't alone in your job. I'm looking at tax season to get out of here so I have moving money from the refund. Thinking of moving to Arizona or Texas.

So Ron, yeahhh.. if you could go ahead and come in on Saturday that'd be greeat.. m'kay?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »

File for FMLA for the care of your mother.  Then, you have the weight of the federal government behind you when you tell them to sod off.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 08:41:20 PM »

Man, I didn't know the organizational chart at GT was so deep. Don't quit KD, we'd miss you!

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: