http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 08:58:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what do you know about San Antonio  (Read 347 times)
drifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2011, 10:24:35 PM »

Company wants to hire me and move me to San Antonio; so anyone know much about the place beyond the obvious?  Sea World and Schliterbahn park being there?

Cost of living, Housing, People, etc.
Bashtor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 12:48:03 AM »

I was stationed there for 5 years (2005-2010).  Schliterbahn is actually in New Braunfels, which is up the interstate a little bit.  If you live on the east side of San Antonio, not a drive at all, but its about 30-45 minutes from the west side (which I lived at, by Sea World).  Cost of living is fairly low.  The real estate pricing was pretty stagnant the five years I was there, as we are lucky we sold our house due to.  On that note, that's the story most places at that time.  I had a three bedroom, 2100 sq foot home with about a 1/4 acre yard for roughly $150,000 and we sold it for a little over that with the improvements we made in it (granite counter tops, wood floor, etc.).   The Alamo is cool to see once, as is the Riverwalk, but I'm not into the night scene so it wasn't much for me.  One thing about San Antonio to be ready for.  It's freakin' hot.  The summer seems like most people go do what they need to do and then stay inside with the air conditioning.  I'm talking over 100 with a lot of humidity too.  Depending on your background, that may be a big deal to you or not.  Well, I'm kinda rambling, but let me know if you have any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer them.

Brian
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 12:49:25 AM »

I know enough to know there's no way in fuck I would ever live ther.  But I took a job promotion to move to Buffalo, NY, so who am I to judge?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 01:45:44 AM »

The Alamo pissed me off, as it's covered in graffiti carved into the walls. 

And if my sister is in town, the Tower of the Americas will be closed. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:23:56 AM »

We drove through San Antonio on a cross country road trip. The only thing I really took from there was that if you are going to be known for a "River Walk" have a better fucking river.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 03:26:02 AM »

Thanks Bash

Right now I live in Georgia about 45 minutes due north of Atlanta so it gets hot here too (not the same I know).  I have only heard good things about San Antonio so far.  I will probably be flown out there next week to meet the team I would work with and check out the facility I would work in.
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 11:18:37 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on May 21, 2011, 01:45:44 AM

The Alamo pissed me off, as it's covered in graffiti carved into the walls. 

And there's no basement!

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 02:11:04 PM »

San Antonio in't bad. It's an hour away from Austin which is phenomenal, and while the heat is bad the humidity isn't as intense as was posted above (you'd have to go to Houston for that). The hill country is close by which is beautiful, and summer tube rides down the guadalupe are lots of fun smile

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 12:43:45 AM »

Looks like I will be ther in Mid-July.  Worked in getting paid the same amount and with the bonus offered I will make between more and a lot more.  Bonus is 10-20% paid out in one sum, 10% is the target and is the usual payment last one was 15%.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: