http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:15:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So we're having twins  (Read 1306 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 03:55:53 AM »

CONGRATS, HUZZAH and PIP PIP!

you just realized you doomed Adam to a life of evil and Corbin will have to fight him.  not to mention they have that silly little symbol on them slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 05:09:07 AM »

Grats!

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 10:24:18 AM »

Grats, now put one in a PS4 hat and the other in an Xbox1 hat, go on  icon_twisted

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 01:45:33 PM »

I almost said congratchulations, but then I realized I already did that.

So, um, twinulations or something?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
stryker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2013, 05:14:52 AM »

Congrats!!!!
I hope the color of the minivan rubs off over time and they become Aggies!!
Texas A&M version, not the Utah State wusses.   slywink
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »

Congratulations!
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »

Life changes for the better now. Beautiful boys Gratch. I take my hat off to you wife.
Have you decided whether or not you'll do the identical clothing thing just to confuse people more? nod

Your journey just became more interesting. God Bless.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2013, 04:22:36 PM »

Thanks all.  smile

Brought them home yesterday and had our first night under our own roof.  I'm honestly starting to get a little concerned about how I'm simply going to function on a day-to-day basis only getting 2 hours of sleep.   icon_confused
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:27:13 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 16, 2013, 04:22:36 PM

Thanks all.  smile

Brought them home yesterday and had our first night under our own roof.  I'm honestly starting to get a little concerned about how I'm simply going to function on a day-to-day basis only getting 2 hours of sleep.   icon_confused

Somehow it all comes together.

But try to get them on a schedule.  There are all kinds of ways to do this, but it all boils down to a) making the feedings happen at regular times and 2) (and this is the hard part) keeping them awake after the feeding.

It seems impossible at first, but everyone I know who did this had their kids sleeping through the night just a few months in.  It makes for a well-adjusted kid down the road, too, supposedly, though mine is right on the cusp of tween-girl hell, so we'll see.

Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2013, 04:56:27 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 16, 2013, 04:36:44 PM

Thanks all.  smile

Somehow it all comes together.

But try to get them on a schedule.  There are all kinds of ways to do this, but it all boils down to a) making the feedings happen at regular times and 2) (and this is the hard part) keeping them awake after the feeding.

It seems impossible at first, but everyone I know who did this had their kids sleeping through the night just a few months in.  It makes for a well-adjusted kid down the road, too, supposedly, though mine is right on the cusp of tween-girl hell, so we'll see.

While I agree with this, I have 2 kids, both go to bed and have identical routines and sleeping for the first 6 years was hell and only the last 6 months has it been better, if you call one of us having to get up at 6am every morning.

My eldest never slept more than 3 hours in one go until he was 3 regardless of what we tried. My youngest who is now 3 slept fine for 18 months then spent a year refusing to sleep.

Now they both go to sleep at 7am and both wake up at 6am every day 7 days a week. If they go to bed later they wake up at the same time and are just grumpier, the later the grumpier. It's only in the last 6 months we have started to go to bed at 11pm again, at one stage we were going at 9pm because it was shift sleeping. Both my kids are happy healthy and very intelligent, but that seems to be the issue, way too clever and way too interested in everything. Both stopped sleeping in the day by the age of 1 as well so not even any breaks in the day. The eldest is working to 2 years ahead of his age group on reading and maths, Aidan at 3 is on the same level as Jack was at 3 so all good on that front but sleeping, they are bloody rubbish.

To add I am a really bad sleeper, I wake at least 3 times every night, normally it's an I am awake whats the time and then back to sleep. Add this to 6am starts every day and 3 or 4 6 hour sleeps a week on top of work can knacker you out quickly.

To add we have lots of friends with kids that sleep amazingly well but just as many who have kids that don't. A large part of it is just how your kids are and I hope you are lucky.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:58:26 PM by Reemul » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2013, 04:58:48 PM »

I'm honestly starting to get a little concerned about how I'm simply going to function on a day-to-day basis only getting 2 hours of sleep.   icon_confused

Red Bull.

or cocaine.

I'd say go with the former.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »

and 2) (and this is the hard part) keeping them awake after the feeding.

I've gotten that advice a few times now and it makes me chuckle.  These dudes are petty much comatose after they eat.  We've tried everything:  tickling feet, changing them, stripping them down, cold rag on the soles, tummy time, bouncing, walking, burping...nothing will wake them up.  I'm pretty sure I could put an air born next to the crib and they'd be able to sleep through it.

I know that a lot of it is simply getting into a good routine and that it'll come eventually.  Just hoping its sooner rather than later.  smile

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2013, 11:43:54 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on June 16, 2013, 08:19:27 PM

and 2) (and this is the hard part) keeping them awake after the feeding.

I've gotten that advice a few times now and it makes me chuckle.  These dudes are petty much comatose after they eat.  We've tried everything:  tickling feet, changing them, stripping them down, cold rag on the soles, tummy time, bouncing, walking, burping...nothing will wake them up.  I'm pretty sure I could put an air born next to the crib and they'd be able to sleep through it.

I know that a lot of it is simply getting into a good routine and that it'll come eventually.  Just hoping its sooner rather than later.  smile

Oh, yeah, it seems impossible for a while, but eventually you've got 'em awake for a couple of minutes, then a few more, then a half an hour, and suddenly you're on a schedule.  It's not easy, though.  You've got to be determined and patient as hell.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2013, 03:59:47 AM »

(sorry in advance for this incredibly selfish "woe is me" post)

The Wonder Twins turn 6 weeks old on Tuesday.  I know I'm supposed to say how wonderful they are and how lucky I am, but if I'm really honest...this pretty much fucking sucks.

They are both colicky, which means that from the moment I get home from work (around 5:00) until the moment they finally go to sleep for an hour or two (usually around 2:00am) one or the other of them is constantly screaming.  And not just a small little fuss...we're talking a full-on, top of the lungs howl.  Doc gave us some meds that seem to be helping a little bit, but I seriously feel like I'm about ready to snap.  I'm getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night, I can barely function during my busiest time of the year at work, what precious little time I have not trying to calm a screaming baby is spent doing endless loads of laundry or washing dishes, my poor 4-year-old thinks we're completely neglecting her, and I'm lucky if I get 30 minutes combined over the course of a week to actually do something I'd like to do (i.e. gaming, reading, etc.).  Mrs. Gratch thankfully has some help during the day from her mom, sister, and a couple neighbors, but once the evenings hit, we're on our own.

I knew this was going to be tough, but I don't even feel like the same person I was 6 weeks ago.  I'm exhausted, I'm cranky, I get overly pissed off and/or frustrated at the smallest things, I have a constant headache and backache, and I just feel like a robot doing from one diaper change or one screaming baby to the next.  I know this will get better, but right now, it is completely and totally miserable.

Oops, gotta run...someone is screaming upstairs for a diaper change...

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2013, 04:15:16 AM »

Dude. Sorry to hear that, my sister's first kids were twins and were colicky. She and her husband pretty much only saw one another as they were switching up duties of taking care of the boys.

Hoping it gets better real soon, and you can get some rest and tell us how the zone defense is working once the boys are feeling better.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2013, 04:52:32 AM »

One child is bad enough. I can't imagine what it must be like to have twins, especially as first time parents. I wish you luck!
*edit* oops didn't see that you also have a friend year old. That experience will help a bit I guess.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »

just thing Gratch, you could go up exponentially next time to quintuplets!

Because I can,
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »

All us veteran fathers are smugly leaning back in our chairs, placing our thumbs in our suspenders, and grinning that 'welcome to the club grin'.

Colick is no joke so that is definitely coloring your experience (x2), but it will get better. Once they're on a schedule and past this difficult stretch it'll smooth out.

You know,  a healthy baby could bring in as much as $60,000 on the black market. What do you think?

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you had said yes you would be sent to prison immediately.

This was just a test.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2013, 12:15:30 PM »

Quote from: ATB on July 22, 2013, 11:45:20 AM

All us veteran fathers are smugly leaning back in our chairs, placing our thumbs in our suspenders, and grinning that 'welcome to the club grin'.

Colick is no joke so that is definitely coloring your experience (x2), but it will get better. Once they're on a schedule and past this difficult stretch it'll smooth out.

That's the funny thing.  Before these guys showed up, I considered myself a "veteran father".  Figured I'd already been through it once and gotten through relatively unscathed, so how could it be the second time around?

The colicky think is what's killing us right now.  One colicky baby is bad enough, but you can at least try to handle that in shifts so the other person can rest and recharge.  When there are two of them, there simply is not a break.  Ever.  You are holding a screaming baby pretty much 24/7...feels like it just never ends.  They finally got to sleep around 2:30 this morning, and woke up screaming again at 5:15am.  By the time we got them fed and sort of settled down, I have to get ready for a 10-hour work day...from which I get to come home and repeat the same process every day this week.  It's simply exhausting, and there really is no end in sight (the doc said it can last anywhere from 4-9 months).

just think Gratch, you could go up exponentially next time to quintuplets!

Next time?  Aw, hell no.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 22, 2013, 12:15:30 PM

just think Gratch, you could go up exponentially next time to quintuplets!

Next time?  Aw, hell no.

c'mon, we all know the Gratch naval corp is full of strong swimmers smile

Because I can,
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »

We've all been there.  Doubling it is kind of crazy.  We had two families in our church.  One had quads, the other had quints about a year later.  Our church provided an exceptional amount of support including meals, diapers, baby sitting, shopping, money and some occasional overnight help.  They were still zombies for over a year.  It was cute seeing them show up on Sundays in their matching outfits, but we were all glad it was them and not us.  If it makes you feel any better, I'm up nights as well now.  I'm sure I'm getting a little more sleep than you though. 

Our first was a preemie.  When he finally came home, he had an alarm monitor.  It gave out a piercing shriek every time his heart rate or breathing dropped below a set threshold.  There's nothing like the sheer terror of awaking thinking your baby is dying.  95% of the time he had just pulled off one of the leads.  The other five percent he was just breathing too shallow.  Those alarms nearly gave me a heart attack.  He's a big strong, healthy eight year old now.  I haven't had alarm nightmares for years.  Good luck.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2013, 02:56:40 PM »

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »

Not sure how I missed AA's post...that's quality right there.   icon_lol

Here's a little glimpse into the Gratch household these days:  Fun with colicky twins

That's 30 seconds...now imagine some version of that for 10-12 hours a day.  While it's not always quite that bad (this was taken while I was watching them and Mrs. Gratch was running some errands), either one of them, the other, or both are typically crying pretty much nonstop.  They even have this incredible ability for one of them to start crying within 2-3 minutes of the other one stopping.  I've gotten 3 hours of sleep in the last 48, and that was in a staggered 20-30 minute segments. Add in a rambunctious 4-year-old who is now starting to throw major temper tantrums just so she can get some attention.

I honestly wonder if this is what going insane feels like.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:19:32 PM by Gratch » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: