http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:47:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So....investment questions?  (Read 635 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2012, 01:06:04 AM »

I have some investment questions and I need somebody who knows what they are doing.   Any experts here, or can you point me in the right direction?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 01:11:12 AM »

Plastics. Plastics last forever

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:17:09 AM »

It's all ball bearings these days.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 07:19:38 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 15, 2012, 01:17:09 AM

It's all ball bearings these days.

That's what I'm gathering.  I'd be better hording it and stuffing it under my mattress from the looks of things.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »

Look into a stock called SNPK.

2 weeks ago shares were trading at about 30 cents, it's up to almost $2.00 now and continues to climb. Awesome penny stocks mentions a $9 price target.

If I had the extra cash I'd have bought a few hundred shares at the very least, but between jobs not a whole lot of spare cash.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »

In all honesty the only sort of investing I do is with my company 401k, but that seems to be doing alright.  I have moderate and conservative investments selected there and I've been making personal returns of 5-9% for the last couple years, so I'm happy with that.  It's better than losing a ton of money like I know some former co-workers did.

Not that I can help, but are you looking for long-term investments, high-risk quick returns, or ... other financial terms I've heard?  Tongue

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 05:08:50 PM »

Agh, SNPK seems like the riskiest stock ever! Pumped up penny stock that doesn't really have any revenue yet but a market value of $750 million? Maybe it can be pumped more, but I'd have a stop loss in place if I bought any...
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 07:18:16 PM »

There's not a chance in hell SNPK hits $9.

Knightshade, I'd ask your friends in Arizona if they know any financial advisers they could direct you to.  That's your best bet.  Way too much uncertainty on the internet to really trust everything out there, especially if you really need someone who knows what they're doing.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 04:09:51 AM »

You were in the military, right?  I believe USAA still offers free financial assessments.  No doubt they try to steer you towards their products, but you'll have a contact for basic questions.  They offer their own mutual funds and brokerage services.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 08:24:12 PM »

Annndddddddd... SNPK is down 58% today. That's why you don't buy penny stocks .... or if you do have good stop losses.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »

Anybody here have any experience with ING Direct's Sharebuilder?

My "safe money" is in an ING Roth IRA. For years I made an acceptable return (at no risk) using a CD ladder, but that dog don't hunt anymore. I don't like risk but I like earning 0.8% even less. I started to open a Sharebuilder account a couple of weeks ago but chickened out halfway through because I have no idea how to invest money in the stock market. I don't want to lose what little retirement money I have managed to squirrel away. But at 0.8% I'm already losing money to inflation.

I'm basically looking for a convenient low-risk way to at least match the inflation rate without the hassle of up and moving my Roth.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:51:44 PM »

Not sure what ING Shareholder is...

That said... TIPS are treauries whose payout is linked to inflation (but also to treasuries) and are one thing you could consider. Right now they're paying almost nothing though.

Could consider leaving much as you have it, but a portion into some high quality bonds, preferred stocks, or safer dividend stocks. Or something like municapal tax advantaged funds, like Nuveen offers. That way if you're earning 0.8% on 70% and 6% on 30%, you're earning 2.36% or something combined. Could also diversify a bit with some gold, etc. Certainly nothing is surefire, but there are lower-risk investments you could at least put some into.

Another option is the "lifecycle" or "retirement" funds. If you choose a retirement fund closer to the present time it'll be a relatively conservative portfolio mix of bonds/stocks/treasuries, although still not like CDs.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 10:03:33 PM »

Yeah, look at the lifecycle funds.

There's also just investing in Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs), which makes following the stock easy.  I have 10 shares in "Spyders", which are 1/10 value of the S&P 500. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 10:20:17 PM »

I guess I should just sign up for Sharebuilder and see what kind of options they offer. They do pay you $50 just for joining.

My Vanguard rollover IRA is my risky money. Vanguard runs index funds with very low fees, so they track the broader markets pretty faithfully. Meaning I got clobbered along with everybody else in the crash, but have now recovered. Meanwhile, my ING Roth did not lose a dime in the crash; in fact, CD rates hadn't fallen yet so it was still returning 3-4%.

Anyway, I just wondered if anybody here had ever gone through Sharebuilder.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 02:44:43 AM »

The SNPK drop surprised me too.. but that's one of the good things about penny stocks, if you buy in early (SNPK started out at about 30 cents when I first looked them up) you may lose a little if they fall, but you have a lot more to gain if they take off.

From Penny Stocks:

Yes, SNPK took a beating today. Yes, everyone is angry, including us but we all know better than to let our emotions control us.

This same thing happened about a month ago for those of you who don't remember. SNPK crashed almost 50% and everyone was saying how "SNPK can't keep going anymore".

Well guess what? After it crashed down to 40 cents it ran all the way up to almost $3, and now this very familiar scenario is playing out once again.

Those who weren't able to stay calm last month, and didn't hold missed out on almost 900% gains.

If history is any indicator, before the end of the week, this day will be forgotten and SNPK continue onto another bull run from $1 to its issued target of $9.

Analysts recommended SNPK as a Strong Buy when it was still at around $1.50. Now it is at just $1 so would you say that it's Very Strong Buy then right now?

Smart investors know that day-to-day market fluctuations are very normal, and know that those who stay calm prevail.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »

But the thing about SNPK is it is going up ONLY because of the pumping from those newsletters. For a company first getting one product on drug store shelves... Not saying it can't go up. Saying fundamentally it shouldn't  Tongue. And I'm now done discussing it
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 01:41:04 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on April 19, 2012, 11:03:34 AM

But the thing about SNPK is it is going up ONLY because of the pumping from those newsletters. For a company first getting one product on drug store shelves... Not saying it can't go up. Saying fundamentally it shouldn't  Tongue. And I'm now done discussing it

+1.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: