http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 11:17:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I watched three Star Trek movies this weekend...  (Read 999 times)
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2011, 02:28:09 PM »

Star Trek : TMP-  I thinks it gets better and better on repeated viewings.  It has been at least 10 years since I have seen "The Changling" episode, so the story was not that derivative. I prefer the Director's Cut, but the theatrical release was on demand.  If you can go in knowing that the pace is slow and there is too much purple cloud/exterior shots of Enterprise, give it a shot again.

TWOK - Didn't make it through it this time.  It may be that we've seen it dozens of times, but how does a Science Research Starship go to a solar system, not notice that the planet they were heading to is gone, and the next nearest planet it out of orbit?  I wish that they had explained Genesis a bit better too. I assume that the redesign matrix requires a planet that could otherwise sustain life, if not, it is REAL EASY to find a lifeless planet to terra form.

Star Trek (2009)- Still a good launch for the series, but I wish the blu ray had included the Countdown 4-shot.  Without that background, it still feels like half to story to me.
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 02:44:49 PM »

Quote from: sgoldj on September 06, 2011, 02:28:09 PM

Star Trek (2009)- Still a good launch for the series, but I wish the blu ray had included the Countdown 4-shot.  Without that background, it still feels like half to story to me.

I found that odd too.  The movie kind of just assumes everyone knows what's going on when it starts.  Granted, it doesn't ruin the movie and I still enjoyed it far more than I expected to, but even a simple 5 minute prologue would have greatly enhanced the experience, imho.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:50:42 PM »

I watched the Wrath of Khan this weekend and really enjoyed seeing it again.  I watched a little bit of 3 afterwards, but did not finish.  That old crew really had good chemistry.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 02:56:19 PM »

I was going to watch part of Star Trek: The Next Generation season one on Netflix instant watch this weekend by Netflix removed it for some reason.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 02:57:13 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 06, 2011, 02:50:42 PM

I watched the Wrath of Khan this weekend and really enjoyed seeing it again.  I watched a little bit of 3 afterwards, but did not finish.  That old crew really had good chemistry.

The unifying force that created that chemistry seems to be everyone else hating Shatner, if tales from Takei and Koenig are to be believed.   icon_biggrin

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 06, 2011, 02:57:13 PM

The unifying force that created that chemistry seems to be everyone else hating Shatner, if tales from Takei and Koenig are to be believed.   icon_biggrin

Odd, because even Shatner has great chemistry with them all.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »

it's called acting.    slywink

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2011, 02:56:19 PM

I was going to watch part of Star Trek: The Next Generation season one on Netflix instant watch this weekend by Netflix removed it for some reason.

odd, it's showing up in my queue still.

edit:  although the two part pilot is missing.   icon_confused

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 03:09:41 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 06, 2011, 02:59:08 PM

I just checked on the iPhone app and it's back now, with the pilot but episode 3 seems to be missing.  they must have had an error and fixed it after seeing all the people ask about S1 in the reviews section for the show.

Because I can,
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 06, 2011, 02:57:13 PM

By that point I would think the unifying force was money........
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 03:56:19 PM »

yeah, that's probably more true than anything else.  

if you get the chance to hear Takei talk about Shatner's immense ego on the set of the Star Trek series and movies though, jump on it.  They're hilarious.  I don't dislike Shatner and I think some of the cast's stories about him are driven more by their own wounded egos, but I still lap it up.   icon_biggrin

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 04:26:08 PM »

Star Trek (2009)- Still a good launch for the series, but I wish the blu ray had included the Countdown 4-shot.  Without that background, it still feels like half to story to me.

What is the countdown 4-shot?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »

I assume it's this:

Star Trek: Countdown is a four-issue comic book prequel to the 2009 film Star Trek by IDW Publishing. It follows the characters of Spock and the Romulan Nero during the year 2387, detailing the events that cause them to travel to the 23rd century. The story serves as both a lead up to the film and as a continuation of the Star Trek: The Next Generation franchise.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 06:22:48 PM »

Gracias.
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »

Can I get some input on the Star Trek TV series in terms of best to worst.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 07:51:16 PM »

Best to worst:

Deep Space Nine
The Next Generation
Star Trek
Enterprise
The Animated Series
The SNL Sketches that Mention Star Trek
Any TV show that takes place in outer space
Any TV show where the sky is ever visible
All other TV shows
Voyager

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »

I don't know, I'd place a lot if reality shows under Voyager.

and wrestling, definitely worse.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2011, 07:54:36 PM

I don't know, I'd place a lot if reality shows under Voyager.

and wrestling, definitely worse.

For bots, Star Trek is a reality show.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »

I didn't think Voyager was *that* bad.  On par with Enterprise, IMO - not terrible, not great.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »

Quote from: Laner on September 06, 2011, 08:03:58 PM

I didn't think Voyager was *that* bad.  On par with Enterprise, IMO - not terrible, not great.

Most of the complaints I remember hearing were from people who couldn't handle a female captain (which goes against everything Star Trek stands for, but whatever).  I didn't watch the show regularly, but I did like it.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 09:18:15 PM »

I think most people were upset that Voyager basically threw out decades of Star Trek history and tried to start fresh with all new stories.  Unfortunately, the writers weren't up to the task for the most part.  The tales quickly became derivative of older Star Trek stories, but without the benefit of the fleshed out background of the "real" ST universe.

Enterprise had the same problem for the first few years.  They did delve into the Star Trek bible for some stories, but the show didn't take off  with fans until the final season when they started mining the rich history of the Star Trek universe for their episodes.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 10:39:48 PM »

excellent topic

while i have pretty much no experience with the various TV series i did recently watch all 11 movies late last year i had the first 10 on DVD for about 3-4 years and never watched them,i had only seen the first 6 movies until then

The Motion Picture i really liked,but i know it gets slated a lot

apart from the entries i really liked(2 and 3)i really liked First Contact as well(movie 8 )

First Contact spoilers just incase-
Spoiler for Hiden:
i loved how it showed how we made contact with the rest of the galaxy,Mass Effect owes a lot to it i reckon(where in ME they discovered technology on Mars and put us in touch with the rest of the Galaxy,in ST we made the tech that made a 'passer by' recognize that we were ready for the rest of the galaxy)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:49:27 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 10:50:51 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 06, 2011, 09:18:15 PM

Enterprise had the same problem for the first few years.  They did delve into the Star Trek bible for some stories, but the show didn't take off  with fans until the final season when they started mining the rich history of the Star Trek universe for their episodes.

I stopped watching right before that.  I should go back and catch the final season.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 12:32:39 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 06, 2011, 02:44:49 PM

Star Trek (2009)- Still a good launch for the series, but I wish the blu ray had included the Countdown 4-shot.  Without that background, it still feels like half to story to me.

I found that odd too.  The movie kind of just assumes everyone knows what's going on when it starts.  Granted, it doesn't ruin the movie and I still enjoyed it far more than I expected to, but even a simple 5 minute prologue would have greatly enhanced the experience, imho.

Yeah, that was part of my big problem with the movie and as a result, I think it kind of fell apart for me. The villain has some supposed revenge, but unlike Kahn, we don't have that background going in. Instead, it just feels like he has a superiority complex. The other problem I had was the plot device. Seemed so much like it had come from a comic book. And then it doesn't help that the countdown comic seemed like fanwank. The most important thing in the comic book is Nero's exposition, which should have been part of the movie in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:41:06 AM by Rumpy » Logged
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 12:45:45 AM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on September 06, 2011, 04:56:21 PM

I assume it's this:

Star Trek: Countdown is a four-issue comic book prequel to the 2009 film Star Trek by IDW Publishing. It follows the characters of Spock and the Romulan Nero during the year 2387, detailing the events that cause them to travel to the 23rd century. The story serves as both a lead up to the film and as a continuation of the Star Trek: The Next Generation franchise.

There is an excellent summery of each of the four issues at Memory Alpha if you can't find the comics.  I think they are still available in TPB and digital form.

My cut on series Best->Worst:

Deep Space 9
Star Trek TOS
Star Trek Next Gen
Star Trek TAS (ignore the animation and keep track of the stories, there are a few classic things in them- Kizinti, Spock meeting himself on Vulcan, etc.)

Voyager (only watched a few)
Enterprise (only watched one)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »

TOS = The Original Series?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 07, 2011, 03:36:09 PM

Tribbles On Speed

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 04:32:06 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 07, 2011, 03:36:09 PM

Look at Purge, trying to act all non-geeky.   icon_lol  Tongue

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »

I actually was never much of a Star Trek fan - I didn't have cable till the late eighties, so the one one I saw a lot of was TNG. I've watched all of the movies once (I think I saw the one where spock regenerates twice in one weekend when a friend of mine was shocked to find I hadn't watched it).

I saw the incidental TOS, watched maybe 3 episodes of enterprise. I enjoyed about the first season of DS9, but didn't pick it up as one of my "shows". They drifted from dealing with the godlike creature in the wormhole, which interested me more than the war. I saw a few eps here and there, but not enough to string along the overarching story.

Voyager was so uninteresting I watched only a couple episodes. The whiny dude with the weird ears (he was a live-action version of Snarf) pretty much turned me off of the show.

I did watch Star Trek 2009, and I totally agree that Nero needed more backstory within the film, but it was by far the better than I could have expected and I've seen it three or four times now.

Looking back at ST2009, I get the feeling Rittchard must enjoy the idea of Kirk having daddy issues. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 06:28:13 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 07, 2011, 06:20:31 PM

Voyager was so uninteresting I watched only a couple episodes. The whiny dude with the weird ears (he was a live-action version of Snarf) pretty much turned me off of the show.

I assume you mean Neelix, played by Ethan Phillips, who will always be known as the guy from Benson.  Right next to René Auberjonois (Odo from DS9).

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »

Looks like TNG is getting an HD remaster, kind of...

we've gotten a bit of clarification from our sources on CBS's in-progress Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered Blu-ray sampler disc. The disc will include FOUR episodes, two of which will include Encounter at Farpoint, Parts 1 and 2. We're told that the other two should be The Inner Light and Sins of the Father. It's still up in the air when the official announcement will happen, however it's worth noting that the 45th anniversary of the Star Trek franchise happens this Thursday - The Original Series debuted on NBC back on September 8th, 1966.

http://thedigitalbits.com/#090611
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 06:49:21 PM »

I read that if the wanted to do an HD release of TNG they'd have to redo all the effects shots since the weren't done with 1080p in mind.  IIRC they were done in 480.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 07:23:39 PM »

I started watching the first episode of Voyager and it doesn't seem too bad. Since it went 7 seasons it had to do something right, right?

Because I can,
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 08:05:21 PM »

I never tried Voyager and couldn't get into DSN. I tried Enterprise but turned it off immediately upon hearing that intro. It's obviously to chickified to be any good.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 08:13:28 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on September 07, 2011, 08:05:21 PM

I never tried Voyager and couldn't get into DSN. I tried Enterprise but turned it off immediately upon hearing that intro. It's obviously to chickified to be any good.

Enterprise REALLY picks up in the last season.  If you want some good trek, you can't go wrong just picking up from there.

Deep Space Nine is my favorite Star Trek due to one major component:

The awesomeness that is Garak.

p.s. while looking for the garak picture i came across this and had to laugh out loud

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2011, 03:09:41 PM

I just checked on the iPhone app and it's back now, with the pilot but episode 3 seems to be missing.  they must have had an error and fixed it after seeing all the people ask about S1 in the reviews section for the show.

looks like its disappearance is all Latin America's fault.

Because I can,
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 12:10:46 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 07, 2011, 11:57:25 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 06, 2011, 03:09:41 PM

looks like its disappearance is all Latin America's fault.

First they take our jobs and now this?  thumbsdown

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 02:03:37 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 07, 2011, 08:13:28 PM

Quote from: ibdoomed on September 07, 2011, 08:05:21 PM

Enterprise REALLY picks up in the last season.  If you want some good trek, you can't go wrong just picking up from there.

Deep Space Nine is my favorite Star Trek due to one major component:

The awesomeness that is Garak.

p.s. while looking for the garak picture i came across this and had to laugh out loud

+1

Garak makes every episode better.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 03:55:51 AM »

Star Trek : TMP-  I thinks it gets better and better on repeated viewings.  It has been at least 10 years since I have seen "The Changling" episode, so the story was not that derivative. I prefer the Director's Cut, but the theatrical release was on demand.  If you can go in knowing that the pace is slow and there is too much purple cloud/exterior shots of Enterprise, give it a shot again.

There's a number of things I don't like about it, especially the changling babe wearing a thigh-high see-through and newwave era stilletos - I mean seriously.  Roll Eyes The alien ship though is well worth the price of admission IMO. I really can't think of any Sci-Fi movie since with a spacecraft that's surpassed it. The Romulan ship in the reboot came close, but even it with it's 30 year later CGI and tech didn't wow me like that 1st movies alien ship.

I liked the other 2 you mentioned and count them amongst my top 5 Trek movies.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:00:20 AM by kronovan » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 05:43:49 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on September 08, 2011, 03:55:51 AM

Star Trek : TMP-  I thinks it gets better and better on repeated viewings.  It has been at least 10 years since I have seen "The Changling" episode, so the story was not that derivative. I prefer the Director's Cut, but the theatrical release was on demand.  If you can go in knowing that the pace is slow and there is too much purple cloud/exterior shots of Enterprise, give it a shot again.

There's a number of things I don't like about it, especially the changling babe wearing a thigh-high see-through and newwave era stilletos - I mean seriously.  Roll Eyes The alien ship though is well worth the price of admission IMO. I really can't think of any Sci-Fi movie since with a spacecraft that's surpassed it. The Romulan ship in the reboot came close, but even it with it's 30 year later CGI and tech didn't wow me like that 1st movies alien ship.

TMP?

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 08:35:28 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 08, 2011, 05:43:49 AM

Quote from: kronovan on September 08, 2011, 03:55:51 AM

There's a number of things I don't like about it, especially the changling babe wearing a thigh-high see-through and newwave era stilletos - I mean seriously.  Roll Eyes The alien ship though is well worth the price of admission IMO. I really can't think of any Sci-Fi movie since with a spacecraft that's surpassed it. The Romulan ship in the reboot came close, but even it with it's 30 year later CGI and tech didn't wow me like that 1st movies alien ship.

TMP?

The Motion Picture
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: