http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 03:06:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I had to kick Allstate to the curb after 20+ years  (Read 571 times)
drifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2012, 05:18:44 PM »

Ok so I moved to San Antonio and I have had Allstate Insurance since about 1990 on everything; cars, rentors ins. and then my homes.

I buy a house in San Antonio and call Allstate to start a policy on the day of closing(August 5).  Allstate is a bit confused as I now have two homes but they figure it out.  I close on the house and shortly after receive a letter from Allstate informing me that they are cancelling my policy on the new house because they were unable to perform an exterior inspection.  The inspector couldnt find my home and rather than call me for directions he did nothing.  I call an Allstate office right outside the community where I live and they tell me dont worry we will get that taken care of.  A week goes by and I get a refund check in the mail, not good, I call the local office again.  I am told oh well we will have to write you a new policy now.  Ok write me a new policy and lets get that done.  I tell the lady ok I have this refund check how will I pay you since I am setup to pay you via the escrow on my mortgage; we will deal with Wells Fargo on that she says.  Ok great I put the refund check into my Navy Fed account just in case.  In the mean time I go to USAA and open a bank account.  Rolling into mid December now I get a letter from Allstate; you owe us $900 and if you dont pay we are cancelling your homeowners policy on 12/21.  I call the local office and go over to them and hand them $200 in cash and they say ok we will bill you quaterly for the rest, ok no problem.  Right before Christmas I get another letter from Allstate; we accepted your partial payment however since you did not pay in full your policy was not reinstated on 12/21 at 0000 hours (midnight), its Christmas weekend now and the agents office is closed.

It shouldnt be this hard to give someone my business.

Teusday after Christmas I go to the USAA financial center with my Allstate paperwork and have a chat with a rep.  I get my insurance on my cars and my home with slightly better coverage on both.  Cost of my car insurance is about the same; my homeowners policy with USAA about $300 dollars less a year.  The lowest deductible Allstate would do on my home $2K, USAA $1K and they still would be cheaper by $200.  I have never had a claim on my home so I opt for a $2k deductible.

I also found out more on Allstate.  I had sold my home in Georgia called the agent and told them to cancel my policy and faxed him a signed letter stating to cancel it on November 10.  My policy was still active in late December they just cancelled it and back dated the cancellation.  I called the local Allstate office here in San Antonio to cancel my insurance here and I planned to be nice about it.  I know it wasnt them it was Allstate corporate making the mistake but I cant have gaps in my homeowners insurance.  When I told her sorry but I have insurance with USAA and I need to cancel she said ok and hung up.  Now I have to go through the 800 number and they just didnt care.  Not a single question of why or can we keep you etc.

Anyway if you canget it I highly recommend USAA.  I have used their service at the financial center and they were great.  I sold my Georgia home while I was here so we had a mountian of paperwork to get notarized.  The lady that did that was very ncie and double checked to make sure that not only did she get it right but that my wife and I didnt miss anywhere we had to sign as well; we missed on line.  They have a banking app that is outstanding in its features.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 05:37:10 PM »

This might be a good story for The Consumerist which typically deals with stories where companies become incompetent with their customer support. Good thing you got this resolved although it shouldn't have taken all that effort.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 05:52:34 PM »

If you were eligibile for USAA, why wouldn't you have gone to them well before this?  I love it when insurance companies call me asking to give a competitive quote and I tell them I have USAA...they say thanks and end the call.  You could have been saving money for years.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 07, 2012, 05:52:34 PM

If you were eligibile for USAA, why wouldn't you have gone to them well before this?  I love it when insurance companies call me asking to give a competitive quote and I tell them I have USAA...they say thanks and end the call.  You could have been saving money for years.

This.  I wish I could get USAA.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »

I hate changing things and honestly was lazy about it.
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »

Hey, way to rub it in!!  Seriously, what does that accomplish?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on January 07, 2012, 10:18:10 PM

Just communicating my bewilderment that he didn't bail on AllState long ago for USAA.  What did your post accomplish?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 10:54:41 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on January 07, 2012, 10:18:10 PM

Hey.  Step the fuck off.  It's my job to be the insufferable, arrogant judge of post value around these parts.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 11:10:23 PM »

I had been eligible for USAA for 18 years before I discovered their insurance. Not only good rates, but good customer service. I switched all my banking/brokerage to them also last summer. Very impressed, they don't have the best rates for banking but better than any of the big banks. The only thing I really don't like about them is buying anything but USAA mutual funds can be difficult if not impossible. The lack of local branches has been a non-issue, I just take a picture of the rare check to deposit it with my phone using their app.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 07:12:44 PM »

How do you establish eligibilty with USAA anyway?  In other words, what do they ask for as proof that you or a relative qualify?

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 08:53:46 PM »

Eligibility page.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Cortilian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 12:11:32 PM »

USAA is the bestest insurance company in the whole wide world.

And I work for a different insurance company smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: