http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 05:01:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So I ended up in the hospital yesterday  (Read 1396 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2012, 05:08:30 PM »

I had the flu about two weeks ago, and the cough never fully went away.  I would hack and cough first thing in the morning, get the stuff out, and then go about my day not thinking anything of it.  Well, on my way to work yesterday I coughed while driving and everything went wrong.  I immediately felt overheated and like I was going to pass out.  My stomach, arms, chest, and face began to tingle.  I pulled into the center turn lane (we call it the "Suicide Lane" here in AZ) and stopped the car.  I just sat there and breathed for about 2 minutes.  When everything subsided I toughed it out and managed to get to work.  I laid my head on my desk but just didn't feel any better.  All of my joints and muscles hurt, but I couldn't figure out whether that was from working out or from this 'event'.  I didn't take any chances and had one of my Engineers drive me to the hospital.  They did blood work, ekg, etc. etc. on my heart and everything came back normal...except the EKG.  Apparently I have some sort of abnormality in the reading and some of the points in my heartbeat (the little ones, not the big spikes) are inverted on the graph.  They can't figure out if this is from this event, or if it's been there all along, but I can certainly say that it was, by far, the most terrifying moments of my life.  I'm at home, resting and semi-working until my appointment with a cardiologist tomorrow. 

What I came away with was a lot of perspective.  When you think you might die or have a stroke and lose some semblance of who you are, you really get some clarity on things.  The things I've not done in my life, the wrongs I've not set right, and the things that truly matter become crystal clear.  Never take for granted what you have, because it can be gone in the blink of an eye.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »

yikes!

Take it easy, and I hope things will get better.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »

Quote from: naednek on May 24, 2012, 05:17:09 PM

yikes!

+1
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 05:34:18 PM »

Sorry to hear about your issues, KD.  Get to feeling better.  Best of luck.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:50:48 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 24, 2012, 05:08:30 PM

What I came away with was a lot of perspective.  When you think you might die or have a stroke and lose some semblance of who you are, you really get some clarity on things.  The things I've not done in my life, the wrongs I've not set right, and the things that truly matter become crystal clear.  Never take for granted what you have, because it can be gone in the blink of an eye.

Your going to buy a sports car and get a 20 something girlfriend who used to be a playboy bunny aren't you!

Seriously, I hope they figure it all out soon and that it is something simple.

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »

Hope everything works out well.  Ive seen lots of patients over the years as a RN that have had that.  Coughing hard can slow your heart rate and drop your blood pressure momentarily and sort of reset the system.  Top that off with someone who has been sick for a while and is probably dehydrated a bit can cause a pretty profound event.  
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »

get well soon, Ron

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »

Hope you feel better soon, Ron!

(but if you don't, can I have your stuff?)   icon_lol

*runs from the room, ducking from the rotten tomatoes*

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »

yikes!  hope you feel better soon Ron.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 06:21:14 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on May 24, 2012, 05:26:39 PM

Quote from: naednek on May 24, 2012, 05:17:09 PM

yikes!

+1

+2
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 06:36:17 PM »

My wife and I send our best wishes to you to get better.  Take care man

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 07:26:29 PM »

I hope you get better soon KD.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 08:51:46 PM »

Damn KD, make sure you take it easy until your doctor gives you the all clear!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »

Glad Ron's at least relatively OK. Play more Diablo 3, Ron, preferably on Normal, because it's far less stressful.  icon_smile

Ron sounds like me -- I never go to the hospital/urgent care center until I'm like in unbearable pain or my older brother listens to me complain and says "WTF! GO see a doctor!"  icon_smile

My best friend in Boston was telling me about symptoms on the phone, and I was like "CHRIST! I think you had a stroke! See a doctor!" Thankfully he visited an ER, was diagnosed with a temporary condition (Bell's Palsy, which causes stroke-like symptoms) and given some medication for a short time. He's fine now, but it scared me he would just brush off such serious symptoms (Facial "droop"/numbness) as "oh, I'm just tired."

Let us know how the cardiologist visit goes. I wish the best.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 10:02:19 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on May 24, 2012, 08:57:34 PM

Ron sounds like me -- I never go to the hospital/urgent care center until I'm like in unbearable pain or my older brother listens to me complain and says "WTF! GO see a doctor!"  icon_smile

I am the same way. I guess it's a typical male attitude.

Hope this scare blows over for KD and he goes right back to his hard-living ways.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 10:11:08 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on May 24, 2012, 10:02:19 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on May 24, 2012, 08:57:34 PM

I am the same way. I guess it's a typical male attitude.

Hope this scare blows over for KD and he goes right back to his hard-living ways.

Yeah I was thinking that if this doesn't give him a massive amount of sympathy sex this weekend nothing will. Save up your energy KD you're gonna need it.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 11:21:16 PM »

Just curious Ron, I'm a Cardiology RN....but obviously no doctor and wouldn't advise as such.

However, I'm curious specifically what waves were inverted. Some of that can be electrolyte imbalances (hence) the flu bug. My experience, I wouldn't worry until you are given a reason to worry (I know thats easy for me to say). Had it been something acute related to your heart, more workup would have been warranted. There are other reasons, but most for a young spring chicken like you should work out fine.

I guess I just want to encourage you to not get too upset unless the doc asks about your living will......j/k

Good luck and I'm sure it'll be OK. Things like that really does put things in perspective. I see it everyday.

Sent from me phone

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 11:27:19 PM »

And as soulbringer mentioned, might have been what us medical experts (j/k) refer to a vasovagal event.

I'm interested in seeing how your appointment works out. You'll be OK my friend.

Sent from me phone

soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 01:19:35 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on May 24, 2012, 11:21:16 PM

Just curious Ron, I'm a Cardiology RN....but obviously no doctor and wouldn't advise as such.

However, I'm curious specifically what waves were inverted.

He said the little ones so I was assuming they pointed out his P wave.   icon_eek icon_eek
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 01:46:48 AM »

Oops, overlooked that. Sounds like just an issue of the flu big or the coughing spell.

All should work out OK I'm sure.

I remember when I went through my ekg training the instructor agreed to hook us up and read our own ekg's. Funny thing is he wouldn't take responsibility for what we found....

ie: alot of people find irregular stuff all the time and alot of times its no biggie.

Keep us updated Ron, sure its fine.

Sent from me phone

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 02:32:30 AM »

Feel better man. Hospitals aren't fun places but good call to be sure..
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 03:11:59 AM »

Quote from: Ron
Apparently I have some sort of abnormality in the reading and some of the points in my heartbeat (the little ones, not the big spikes) are inverted on the graph.
Now that I think about it, are you sure they weren't just holding the heartbeat reading printout upside down?  High five!
"Hey. HEY! Now they're not inverted anymore!"

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 03:17:25 AM »

good to hear you are feeling better.  take some sick leave.  hell, that's what it's for man. 

WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 05:25:05 AM »

damn, that sucks man, You are in our thoughts here. Get better friend smile
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »

Frankly, I think it's staged to get ahead of me in Diablo 3.

Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

slywink

Srsly, get well soon. Also, finish up my review for me. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 04:32:37 PM »

What I came away with was a lot of perspective.  When you think you might die or have a stroke and lose some semblance of who you are, you really get some clarity on things.  The things I've not done in my life, the wrongs I've not set right, and the things that truly matter become crystal clear.  Never take for granted what you have, because it can be gone in the blink of an eye... so it's with much clarity that I announced that I've always wanted to be a woman. I'm now in the process of becoming Rona Burke. And this website will be re-designed from the ground up to support my true passions: A colorful fashion line of mumus featuring frogs on them.. which I will call 'Ribbit!'

Just think your last paragraph needed a bit more oomph.  icon_razz

Glad you're ok, Ron.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 05:08:25 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 25, 2012, 04:32:37 PM

What I came away with was a lot of perspective.  When you think you might die or have a stroke and lose some semblance of who you are, you really get some clarity on things.  The things I've not done in my life, the wrongs I've not set right, and the things that truly matter become crystal clear.  Never take for granted what you have, because it can be gone in the blink of an eye... so it's with much clarity that I announced that I've always wanted to be a woman. I'm now in the process of becoming Rona Burke. And this website will be re-designed from the ground up to support my true passions: A colorful fashion line of mumus featuring frogs on them.. which I will call 'Ribbit!'

Glad you're ok, Ron.

Knightshade Drag- wait for it........ -queen biggrin

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2012, 10:22:06 PM »

Indeed, feel better.

After training with Ron for 5 years, I had my black belt test in Tang Soo Do. I don't want to say I'm the cause, but I did catch him with my patent-pending "bear kick to the balls"....

Seriously though, I hope everything comes out ok.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 25, 2012, 05:08:25 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on May 25, 2012, 04:32:37 PM

Glad you're ok, Ron.

Knightshade Drag- wait for it........ -queen biggrin

I KEEEEL YOU!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 05:35:11 PM »

So the visit to the Cardiologist went well.  They did an EKG and it looked exactly the same as my previous one.  He says that might just be normal for me, and as predicted in this thread, it was likely a "vasovagal event".  To confirm, he's putting me through a "Nuclear Stress Test" on Tuesday.  Isotope in the blood, run on the treadmill, rinse repeat for 4 hours - sounds awesome.  I feel fine now - just a little tired.  I'm hoping that that all passes quickly - E3 is just around the corner. 

Oh, and no...not buying a sports car and getting a girlfriend....I did just buy a CX-5 though.  The girlfriend thing might get me killed though...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 26, 2012, 05:35:11 PM

So the visit to the Cardiologist went well.  They did an EKG and it looked exactly the same as my previous one.  He says that might just be normal for me, and as predicted in this thread, it was likely a "vasovagal event".  To confirm, he's putting me through a "Nuclear Stress Test" on Tuesday.  Isotope in the blood, run on the treadmill, rinse repeat for 4 hours - sounds awesome.  I feel fine now - just a little tired.  I'm hoping that that all passes quickly - E3 is just around the corner. 

Oh, and no...not buying a sports car and getting a girlfriend....I did just buy a CX-5 though.  The girlfriend thing might get me killed though...

Awesome, Ron.  Glad you're feeling better.  Just get some rest - the stress of such a situation can take a lot out of you.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 01:14:22 AM »

Good news Ron. Ya I see alot of those EKGs and most times than not they are nothing to worry about. You've might have had this for years and had you not been sick you would have never known.

Hence my previous story about my EKG class where the instructor took no liability for what people saw on their own when hooked up to an EKG.

Stress test should work out OK buddy. Hope you are feeling better.
Sent from me phone

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 01:35:54 AM »

Good to hear. This shit can knock you on your ass emotionally even if it's a physical 'false alarm'.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 01:09:07 AM »

So I got my first heart stress test on Tuesday.   I showed up ready for the 4 hour Nuclear test and found out that the girl said Tuesday (I had a witness!!) but scheduled for Thursday.  I left a little angry, but I didn't die.  smile  Guess we do it again tomorrow!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 03:45:37 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 31, 2012, 01:09:07 AM

I left a little angry, but I didn't die.  smile 

That was the test.  And you seem to have done well.   thumbsup

icon_wink

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Einsteinium

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 03:57:31 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on May 31, 2012, 03:45:37 AM

I left a little angry, but I didn't die.  smile 

That was the test.  And you seem to have done well.   thumbsup

icon_wink

If putting up with stupid/incompetent people without getting stressed is the test, we may be in an awful lot of trouble.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »

I left a little angry, but I didn't die.  smile  Guess we do it again tomorrow!
I would've used this:  mad or maybe that:  *Fist Shaking* perhaps even the rarely seen:  @#$(*&%

Hope it goes well today. icon_smile

fwiw, I've had doctor's appointments where I or a relative was told to arrive early and they'd make us wait 2 hours. Sometimes I question if health care professionals communicate with each other.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:06:38 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: