http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 12:43:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Firefly's not doing anything for me...  (Read 3304 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »

All along on the forums across the internet, all I heard was how great Firefly was and evil FOX was for showing it out of order and killing it early. While I agree with FOX's blatant stupidity, the show never clicked for me. So everyone on the internet (and especially GG) told me to watch it in order. I'm doing so now.

The show still blows, guys. smile

There are moments of brilliantly funny parts, 9/10's of which are Adam Baldwin's Jayne, and the other 1/10 being the scattered one-liners. Kaylee is damn cute, Inara is gorgeous, the Blue Hand Group is one of the dumbest ideas for malevolent villains, like, ever, and the Alliance capital ships are... what? Floating cities? That can sneak up on the crew of a small craft like Serenity... how? It's not like there are hills to hide behind. Oh no, the crew says "We got incoming!" They race to the bridge and there's an Alliance ship. Huh?

Also, the whole Old West in Space angle ain't what I'd call "well-done." More like Sunny Side Up. They all have a real cheery approach to the universe at hand, but when you look closely at it and poke at it, it gets all runny and slippery. Just my thoughts. I'll finish the show, but I ain't seein' what all the fuss was about.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Andy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 03:52:05 PM »

I watched it recently, in order, and loved it. What did it for me though were the characters - they feel more "real" than the cast of other sci-fi shows. I see what you mean about the alliance ship thing, but it never bothered me at the time - just as I never tried to pick holes in Buffy or Angel since I was having too much fun watching smile
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 03:58:56 PM »

I have had this show on my radar for quite some time.  Like whiteboyskim I have been beaten into submission by the hype.  My one question (perhaps you can answer, Andy) is whether the show has a decent wrap-up.  I don't want to see a cliffhanger ending.  No matter how good the show, that would leave a bad taste in my mouth.  I'll probably buy it.

Wasn't there talk of a movie or something?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 04:03:55 PM »

I have not seen the show, but I'm willing to bet it had no wrap-up, which is why Serenity is being worked on right now, the Firefly movie.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Andy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 04:06:01 PM »

a movie has been announced - I believe it is already in pre-production.

the series left me wanting more - I wouldn't call the ending a cliffhanger but it left unanswered questions (as I'd expect at the end of what should have been the first season)

Star Trek DS9 simply isn't as much fun after Firefly - I'm looking forward to watching the whole series again when it is released here on DVD in August (my first viewing was of a friends imported DVDs)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 06:40:55 PM »

I think DS9 was a hell of a lot better than Firefly, but it was building on a universe that was 30 years in the making. Firefly has proven to be funnier than DS9 was though (excepting "Little Green Men"). Overall though it's just not blowing me away. Here's yet another case of the GGFE leading another lamb to the slaughter. smile Although, I just started up the one with the Capt. reminiscing about how he hooked up the crew while he's bleeding to death and going down with the ship, and thus far it's stellar. Maybe it picks up from here... we shall see. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2004, 01:25:41 PM »

* Firefly/Train Job Spoiler Ahead! *

Firefly didn't grab me at first (I was one of those who watched it when it aired from Day 1).  There were so many characters, and so much going on, that I felt overwhelmed.  The thing that hooked me was the ending of "Train Job" (I believe that's the title) where the Captain is faced with a guy threatening to chase him until he's dead.  

Now, any other show that I've watched, Mal turns around, gets on his ship, and the audience knows that we're going to be seeing more of that guy.  Not Firefly, which set itself apart from the rest by having Mal do the unthinkable, knocking the guy off, and not just in some mamby-pamby phaser shot, but actually booting the guy into the engine intake.  Both my wife and I went from "meh" to "wow!" in just that one scene.

The rest of the episodes (including the unaired ones) maintained that level of surprise and great writing.

/me puts on his Enterprise vs. Imperial Star Destroyer hat

Alliance capital ships are... what? Floating cities? That can sneak up on the crew of a small craft like Serenity... how? It's not like there are hills to hide behind. Oh no, the crew says "We got incoming!" They race to the bridge and there's an Alliance ship. Huh?

1)  So if the Alliance ship (which seem more like mobile bases) were shaped more like an airplane, which an aerodynamic configuration, would that be more believable?  This is space...and while there may be some advantage to building them in that shape, it's not necessary.  Perhaps that's a design that worked best for their purpose?

2)  As for the "sneaking up on Serenity" angle, there's a lot of possible scenarios that would explain this.  Maybe Serenity doesn't have some sort of long-range sensor.  Maybe the Alliance base-ship is just so fast that it can close the distance quickly from detection range.  They may not be hiding behind hills, but we're not talking about seeing something from a few miles away (more like thousands of miles), and it's not like someone is sitting out in a bubble visually surveying the area either. smile

So anyway...I still lament the fact that Firefly is off the air.  I have no clue why something like Andromeda, which went from a show with great possibility to absolute junk at the end of season 1, is still on the air and shows like Firefly can't even get past ~12 episodes.

I'm glad for the movie, but I'd be much happier for someone like Sci-Fi to pick it up.  Why, oh why, did they pick up Andromeda and not fight to get something like Firefly, I'll never understand.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 01:58:43 PM »

Well, it looks like both Mutant X and Andromeda have been cancelled because Fireworks Studios (I believe that's the correct name) has gone out of business.

It's going to be hard to see any sci-fi on TV in the near future.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 02:37:44 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
It's going to be hard to see any sci-fi on TV in the near future.

Stargate SG-1 is still going and Stargate Atlantis starts next month.  Plus there's the Farscape miniseries to tie everything up later this year.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 05:43:15 PM »

I never got into Farscape...

I enjoy Stargate SG-1 and will give Stargate Atlantis a chance.  Still, that's two shows.  Other than Enterprise, there really isn't any Sci-Fi on TV.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 07:44:18 PM »

I never got into Farscape...

I hate you.  :twisted:

Firefly is a very cool series, one that was canned far before its time. Same with Farscape for that matter...

Stupid stations not liking Sci-Fi in general...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 08:13:15 PM »

Going to have to agree with Destructor here. Therefore, I also hate you, Graham. Firefly and Farscape should not've been cancelled, simple as that. Anyone who disagrees with said statement has had his innards replaced with computer machinery. And I make it a policy to never trust what a robot says.

You can't fool me!

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 08:50:24 PM »

I would be tempted but buy the Farscape DVD's if they came in a season set.  I'm not one of those that likes to buy individual discs.  Maybe I'll eventually rent one.

I watched Firefly when it was on.  It was good, but I just couldn't justify buying the DVD series.  I guess it just didn't click with me like it did with some people.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 09:18:28 PM »

I would be tempted but buy the Farscape DVD's if they came in a season set.  I'm not one of those that likes to buy individual discs.  Maybe I'll eventually rent one.

As far as I know of, they do. So get out there and buy, buy, buy!  biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 09:28:52 PM »

They do indeed, and they're horribly expensive at that, which is why I haven't purchased them yet. Only seasons 1, and 2 have been released so far, though.

My advice is to use one of the resellers through the Amazon links, instead of direct purchase, if you're planning on getting them.

Season 1

Season 2

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2004, 03:21:12 AM »

I did see them at Best Buy, but yes, they are horribly expensive.  Maybe someday, after I get through Samurai Jack, all of ST:TNG, ST:DS9, Babylon 5....Futurama Volume 2 and 3....

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2004, 03:48:34 PM »

That's why I borrowed the discs from a friend instead of paying for it. smile I've got two more episodes left and now I'm starting to really enjoy it. The show, for me, didn't start clicking until they heisted the hospital in "Ariel," but again the Blue Hand Group proved to be really stupid malevolent villains. Oh well. The other big heist episode, the unaired one with Saffron, was a side-splitter. Having River and Simon find out and confront Jayne was also good, as was River's "I can kill you with my brain" and the look on Jayne's face afterwards. Good stuff. It's funny though that the unaired episodes have been some of the best. Just finished "War Stories" last night and that was fantastic. I can definitely see the potential for the show and where it could have gone, but again, FOX strikes again.

The gag real wasn't that funny, though the first bit with Nathan Fillion and the camera was a gut buster.

Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2004, 01:47:13 PM »

There's a somewhat longer version of the gag reel floating around on the internet somewhere.  I didn't watch the one on the DVD, but supposedly it's supposed to be a bit funnier.  Don't have the link anymore, but as always, I'm sure Google can be your friend in this case.
Baron Of Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 09:34:54 PM »

FireFly dead before your time. Will the movie bring new life to you? I hope so , god do I hope so. Til next time, bye space cowboy.

yes I am insane

GoneGold refugee, needs food and place to stay
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 12:13:09 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

The show still blows, guys.

Now that someone dredged this thread up, and I read this for the first time, all I can say is:  No you didn't! :shock:  

This show was LOL funny!

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 12:43:46 AM »

Quote from: "lokiju"

Now that someone dredged this thread up, and I read this for the first time, all I can say is:  No you didn't! :shock:  

This show was LOL funny!

As I later would post, the show eventually warmed up but the first half did nothing for me. Once I watched Ariel, the show started clicking in my opinion. Objects in Space (the finale) was nine kinds of awesome, and if they had managed a full season then I'm sure it would have turned out to be one of the better shows. Little wonder FOX killed it. slywink

lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2005, 12:36:03 PM »

Quote from: "lokiju"

This show was LOL funny!

As I later would post, the show eventually warmed up but the first half did nothing for me. Once I watched Ariel, the show started clicking in my opinion. Objects in Space (the finale) was nine kinds of awesome, and if they had managed a full season then I'm sure it would have turned out to be one of the better shows. Little wonder FOX killed it. slywink

See, I look at the negatives and not the positives.  I forgive you then.   Tongue

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2005, 02:25:17 PM »

/mourn teh Firefly

I never watched it when it was on the air, in fact I never heard of it until it was cancelled, THAT may be why it was cancelled. I'm not one of those freaks that doesn't watch TV.. well if Firefly came out when I was playing EQ actually I was... so nevermind. slywink

Watched all available episodes on DVD last year and loved it, can't wait for September.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2005, 07:46:44 PM »

Actually, the movie is in post production, they're doing all the special effects.  They might actually be done right now, but the publisher (Universal) decided to delay it until September that it doesn't have as much competition from all the other big name movies that were releasing near its original show date.

Joss has said that all the corporate people he's shown this to like it a lot, so that's a good sign.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2005, 10:50:57 PM »

Quote from: "Gedd"
The thing that hooked me was the ending of "Train Job" (I believe that's the title) where the Captain is faced with a guy threatening to chase him until he's dead.

hehe That's the exact same thing that hooked me on the show.  They did a great job of defining the characters and they all stuck to their beliefs.

And they had a hot engineer. smile

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Baron Of Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2005, 11:05:32 PM »

I liked the engineer also. She had a cuteness about her.

GoneGold refugee, needs food and place to stay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2005, 09:12:27 AM »

Heh, both Battlestar and Firefly have cute engineer girls.

The actress that plays Kaylee had to gain weight for the role since Joss Whedon didn't want just another skinny actor girl to fill the role.  I'd say it was a good move, she looks a lot more likeable with some meat on her.  Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: