http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 11:54:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So do people do stuff other than games, movies or TV?  (Read 896 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »

It just occurred to me that while most other "General Forums" have a variety of different topics at any one time from drinking beer, to raising chickens to interesting things that have happened to them lately, almost the entire first page of our General forum is devoted to either games or movies! So what's up with ya'll? BTW, I'm having a great time going through the seasons of X-Files on Hulu smile
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »

OMG I just noticed I have over 4500 posts!  eek When the hell did that happen?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:40:59 PM »

For me, obviously this site is a pretty huge part of what I do.  In addition to that though, I also train in martial arts 2-3 times a week, and I love to read.  I've been reading for myself instead of just work recently, finishing Sun Tzu and the Art of Modern Warfare, all of the Dune books, and the first two of the Hunger Games books.  I have also dabbled in composing music, though I've not done that in some time - haven't been inspired lately. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »

I home-brew beer and help raise chickens and ducks, in addition to helping keep a pretty sweet garden.

I also dabble in confectionery, and I've got an iOS game that I'm working on.

Put that on top of my job, Netflix, and the occasional game, and I'm typically pretty tapped out for the week.

For me the reading has mostly been in audiobook form lately - I have to drive about 2.5-3 hours two or four times a week, so those are pretty great for filling time.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:23:49 PM »

I make films on my spare time. Produce video work of different types. I'm on the early stages of producing my first horror feature film this and next year. This weekend, I'll be shooting a Kickstarter campaign intro video for a street artist that's seeking funds to paint an ambitious large mural.

I also keep in shape at the gym, love to travel (Austin, NYC, San Francisco and Puerto Rico in the last year), enjoy cooking (I work with a gourmet catering co. on my time off the government dayjob), and love the nightlife. In general, I don't let my life be overrun by constant 'consumption' of games, movies and TV. I do my darnest to maintain a physical lifestyle and a creative output.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 03:34:14 PM »

I actually spend less time with digital media these days than of my other hobbies. My true compassions are my boardgaming, miniatures and PnP RPG hobbies. I'm also a big medieval history buff and do a fair amount of writing - really mostly just short stories and PnP adventures.

Living in the Pacific Northwest I'm also big on hiking and mountaineering and trek at least 3 miles a day on urban trails and do a mountaneering excursion at least once a month. I'm also a fairly avid reader and probably read somewhere in the vicinity of 30 novels a year. I'm blessed with 2 kids that like to do all of those, although my daughter thinks medieval history is quite boring. slywink
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:44:31 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 16, 2012, 12:45:09 PM

...almost the entire first page of our General forum is devoted to either games or movies!

Gaming and movies actually comprise only a small portion of my lifestyle.  I strength train for two hours a day four to five times a week, I play in two upper-level competitive softball leagues, I participate in regular upper-division softball tournaments on weekends, I played amateur competitive billiards for a number of years but am currently on hiatus due to a pinched nerve from two bulging discs in my neck I'm trying to have remedied, I don't read with as much frequency as some forum members but I do read a fair bit for fun, I've recently gotten back into playing basketball with friends (one is currently on the scrimmage/practice squad used to compete against the Phoenix Mercury), we water ski/wakeboard regularly with friends on area lakes, we travel a lot when possible (this week we leave for Vegas on Thursday, next week we're visiting Rocky Point Mexico, the following week we head to Chicago for a long weekend, and for the 4th of July we're heading to Clearwater, Florida to go scalloping), and I'm a hobby chef with quite the repertoire in the kitchen. 

I'm also a full-time student about to begin Pharmacy School in August, I work part-time with my wife's consulting company, and I take care of our two labs, the house, all meals, chores, laundry, etc. 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »

Gaming, movies, and those kinds of hobbies have taken a huge step back from trying to be a good parent and spending more time with my family. The free time I have is usually devoted to being with my daughter and doing fun activities with her.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »

Let's see. I work two jobs 6 days a week. I usually work from 8:30 to 1:30, then I rush home and workout for an hour (entering 2nd month of P90X), then go to my 2nd job until 7:00 at night. By the time I come home and eat, I'm usually exhausted and I spend the last couple of hours before I go to sleep playing games, watching TV and movies, and/or reading. So... I guess the answer is "no".

Now I'm sad.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 04:58:40 PM »

I golf when I can. I work. I actually don't do much. I read. I do the gym 3 days a week. I live life to the fullest.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »

I'm typically either at work or in the commute from 6am to 6pm every day (and am "on call" when I'm not at the office) and usually do part-time work on weekends as well.  I also travel quite a bit for work, but don't make much of an effort to go out and see things while I'm on the road.  Wish I could change that, but there usually just isn't any time for sightseeing.

Outside of work, I'm pretty active at the gym, spend lots of time with my wife and 3-year-old, occasionally do private goalkeeper tutoring, and every weekend during college football season is dedicated to Utah football.  I typically only get maybe 60-90 minutes a day for gaming/movies/internet/etc.  Except for today, when I'm "working at home" so I can play D3.   icon_twisted
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:38:43 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 05:58:09 PM »

What do I like to do?  Screw, play chess.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »

I usually start my day with at least one broken world record and then I shower.  Afterwards, it's off to my day job as international sex machine and CIA operative.  Under my agency code name "Senor Sexy" I fight the good fight on the shores of Lake Michigan and throughout the tri state area.  Nights I can usually be found at any number of Hollywood film premieres, as well as hosting my own cable television show, "The Hepcat Hour" in which I tackle the usual topics of quality hair care and how to avoid a Zekester.  

On weekends I raise Beefalo.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:01:03 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »

I'm pretty boring and apparently represent our forums pretty well.  When I'm not working it's usually some combination of surfing the internet, games, movies, TV, books...consuming media, basically.   icon_neutral

I recently bought a bike to do some riding and get in better shape, but I'd hardly call that a hobby. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »

Vegetable gardener here, at least from May through October. I'm very busy planting stuff over the next few weeks. Tomatoes, squash, beans, eggplants, peppers, and herbs.

I taught myself to cook a few years ago and have gotten pretty good at it. I like to try a new recipe every week or two. Last night's fettuccini with asparagus and lemon cream sauce was a huge hit. Later in the summer I try hard to keep up with my garden's output. I'm about 75% vegetarian.

I also love to walk and try to start every day with a 3- or 4-mile walk, weather and schedule permitting.

Oh, and I'm in a pencil-and-paper RPG group that theoretically meets every other week, but in actuality only gets together every 6-8 weeks.

And of course there's beer.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 07:59:37 PM »

Lots of just sitting in the dark.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 16, 2012, 07:59:37 PM

Lots of just sitting in the dark.

Hilarious!

To the OP: Yes, but I come here to talk to you guys about games, movies, and TV!
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 02:42:41 AM »

mostly work and raise my 2 and 8 yr old and hang with the wifer. them plus yardwork on weekends seem to take all my time in a good way smile

read a lot though. currently on an old scifi kick and rotating between verne and wells. also have a robert a. wilson book to finish. also always reading history-ish stuff on wiki or online somewhere.

sometimes draw (http://creepy665.deviantart.com/) but haven't done anything this year (ideas in my head just need to sit down and put em on paper). always doodling somewhere though just not fit to print.

less than sometimes play bass or dork on my 90s flatland bike while older kid is riding his.

walk a lot and like hiking but OK is a fiery hell in summer and cold icy hell in winter frown (Think we get 1 month of good weather and Im usually working then smile ) and I hate going long distances to do stuff. So I dork on my bike, play in the yard with kids or play inside.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 02:55:46 AM »

Main hobbies are Tae Kwon Do (2-3 times per week) and Ultimate Frisbee (once a week most weeks).  Otherwise not too much... maybe kids after I move  Tongue
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 05:45:32 AM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on May 17, 2012, 02:42:41 AM

sometimes draw (http://creepy665.deviantart.com/) but haven't done anything this year (ideas in my head just need to sit down and put em on paper). always doodling somewhere though just not fit to print.

Nice. You should do that more.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 07:09:31 AM »

I read. I play bass in bands. I try to hang with the family as much as my retail schedule (and meager income) allows. I would like to do this:

Quote from: Ironrod on May 16, 2012, 07:46:10 PM

I taught myself to cook a few years ago and have gotten pretty good at it.

Talk to me.

If I was a bachelor, I could survive on cooking for myself. After all, my expectations are quite low. However, as I am a married man, my wife does 99.99999% of the cooking. She does it because she is good, and also because she has dietary restrictions (gluten free, no dairy, no red meats).

Due to a recent health diagnose for my wife (MS), she's been told she needs to lessen her stress to help the situation. As some of these stresses are unavoidable (work, kids, $$$), I've told her that I'd love to learn to cook to help her have less stress, but I don't know where to start.

Tips? Pointers? Maybe a dedicated thread???

Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »

My main hobby used to be writing. I took classes, sent out countless short stories and eventually got published. It's practically a full time job now. I just delivered my fifth book, I 3/4 done with my 6th and have just been contracted to finish another by the end of the year. I have 2 audio books out and just signed on for two more.

I'm trying to get into photography - just got a DSLR a few months ago, but it's hard to find time.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »

Been a career military guy since 1994, age 17. Retirement is right around the corner. Even though my work load has decreased considerably, I'm still very busy at work and raising my son.  With that being said, playing video games and watching movies is my number #1 hobby and stress reliever. So I play when I can, as much as I can.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »

Wait. There's other stuff? #*$#!!!!! @#$(*&%

It took me 47 years to realize.   icon_redface smirk

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »

Quote from: lildrgn on May 17, 2012, 07:09:31 AM

I read. I play bass in bands. I try to hang with the family as much as my retail schedule (and meager income) allows. I would like to do this:

Quote from: Ironrod on May 16, 2012, 07:46:10 PM

I taught myself to cook a few years ago and have gotten pretty good at it.

Talk to me.

If I was a bachelor, I could survive on cooking for myself. After all, my expectations are quite low. However, as I am a married man, my wife does 99.99999% of the cooking. She does it because she is good, and also because she has dietary restrictions (gluten free, no dairy, no red meats).

Due to a recent health diagnose for my wife (MS), she's been told she needs to lessen her stress to help the situation. As some of these stresses are unavoidable (work, kids, $$$), I've told her that I'd love to learn to cook to help her have less stress, but I don't know where to start.

Tips? Pointers? Maybe a dedicated thread???

It's really just a matter of following instructions. The first time I make a new recipe, I follow it exactly. If we like it enough to make it again, I make a few tweaks. After 2-3 times I can usually nail it down good...and if I make it often enough, I'll even abandon the recipe altogether and make it up as I go. After several years of this I've got a couple dozen standards that I make regularly, and as I said I like to try something new every week or two.

My best recipes all came from Weight Watchers cookbooks and the Boston Globe's food section.

So for starters, make a list of foods that you like, then find recipes that appeal (and I might be able to supply you with a few if you tell me what you like, but I don't have to take dietary restrictions into account). Start simple with things that use just a few common ingredients (Italian and Mexican foods are good this way...there must be at least 1,000 variations on spaghetti), and gradually ratchet up the complexity as you gain confidence. When I do the week's menu plan, I usually try to include a good mix of pasta, rice, vegetables, beans, fish, cheese, eggs, etc for variety's sake. My wife won't eat meat or chicken, though, so I got nuthin there.

If you have more specific questions you should probably start a new thread. I'm sure there are other cooks who would chime in.

Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »

I probably watch about 4-5 hours over the course of the entire week and I rarely go to or watch a movie. I am a full time student (giving College another go) and that consumes the vast majority of my time, in school 5-6 hours 4 hours per week and average another 5 hours or so of study, reading, homework time each evening. When I can squeeze it in I enjoy reading (non-school related), I recently requalified for my A+ and I am studying for my Net+ now (shooting for September), I study 2 different Martial Arts and prior to going back to school I trained 5 to 6 days a week for 3+ hours per day (not quite so much atm) AND I try and squeeze in some gaming time as well....SO happy Diablo 3 released just as I was starting a 3 week inter-semester break  icon_lol
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »

I write a lot. I write at least 1000 words per day no average via my blog, my book or through work stuff. (BTW, my book is at 34K words so far! That's the farthest I've ever gone in a book.) I also wrote a screenplay once. Didn't do anything with it, though.

Now that I'm a homeowner, I spend a lot of time on that. Right now I'm working on my lawn a lot because the previous owners ripped out chunks of it. Fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: