http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 03:31:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: So any interest in doing a Forum weight loss challenge?  (Voting closed: January 06, 2008, 07:37:53 PM)
Yes - 17 (94.4%)
No - 1 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So any interest in doing a Forum weight loss challenge?  (Read 10602 times)
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2008, 09:31:24 PM »

I like KD's list of "how I'm going to do this"...inspiring. Mine has just been cutting back on what I eat, and cutting out soda (just water, nonfat milk (not too much), and Fresca (hooray for 0-cal sodas that don't taste like death!).

I need to start some form of exercise...what sort of Martial arts training would be good for someone with a surgically replaced ACL?

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2008, 11:34:49 PM »

Quote from: SpicyJ on January 18, 2008, 09:31:24 PM

I like KD's list of "how I'm going to do this"...inspiring. Mine has just been cutting back on what I eat, and cutting out soda (just water, nonfat milk (not too much), and Fresca (hooray for 0-cal sodas that don't taste like death!).

I need to start some form of exercise...what sort of Martial arts training would be good for someone with a surgically replaced ACL?

Thanks!  As far as martial arts goes I'd think that Tai Chi would be good.  It is a bit slower but can be ramped up if you need to 'use it'.  It is also lower pressure on ankles and knees.  Best bet?  Go try something out for a week - should be free.  I'd probably avoid Tae Kwon Do for a few reasons, but most importantly the stress on your ACL.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2008, 03:52:24 AM »

Hrm, I hadn't thought of that.

The part of me that still thinks I'm a skinny teenager really wants to find a place that teaches capoiera, but when I was in rehab for my knee there was a guy there who was in college (young kid, not old fat guy) who had screwed up his knee doing that, so probably not the best idea for me. smile

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2008, 12:38:20 PM »

-1 to 198.  Wasn't as streamlined a week as I had hoped.  Any progress is progress though.

I guess.  icon_cry
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2008, 02:57:23 AM »

I weighed in at 255 today, so I am down a total of 12 pounds since starting.  My mom and stepdad have a bowflex so I have started working out on that 3 days a week.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »

Getting an error on the weight tracking site:

Parser Error
Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'WebChart' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: none    Line: 0

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'WebChart' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 04:33:13 PM »

It's working for me.  What browser are you using?  I don't think it worked in Firefox for me.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 04:36:54 PM »

Tried both... it only happens when I click on "My Weights"
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2008, 05:06:32 PM »

Quote from: Laner on January 22, 2008, 04:36:54 PM

Tried both... it only happens when I click on "My Weights"

Ah ok, yeah I'm getting the same error.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »

Quote from: Laner on January 22, 2008, 04:29:00 PM

Getting an error on the weight tracking site:

Parser Error
Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'WebChart' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

[No relevant source lines]

Source File: none    Line: 0

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'WebChart' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

You broke THEIR scale? dood... slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2008, 09:24:58 PM »

Whoops!

Should be fixed now...sorry! smile

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »

Quote from: SpicyJ on January 22, 2008, 09:24:58 PM

Whoops!

Thanks for setting that up for us, by the way.  I wish more participants used it: It's nice to see everyone at one glance.

I told myself I'd finally get an exercise in tonight...but I'm itching to dig into the new Advance Wars.  I really need a stationary bike or something so I can work up a sweat while gaming.  If someone was smart they'd design a gaming system that goes into standby mode if you stop pedalling fast enough.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2008, 03:14:59 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 22, 2008, 09:35:57 PM

Whoops!

Thanks for setting that up for us, by the way.  I wish more participants used it: It's nice to see everyone at one glance.

I told myself I'd finally get an exercise in tonight...but I'm itching to dig into the new Advance Wars.  I really need a stationary bike or something so I can work up a sweat while gaming.  If someone was smart they'd design a gaming system that goes into standby mode if you stop pedalling fast enough.

They do have those racing games that are hooked up to a bike where basically the faster you pedal the faster you go. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2008, 12:44:30 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on January 23, 2008, 03:14:59 AM

Quote from: wonderpug on January 22, 2008, 09:35:57 PM

Whoops!

They do have those racing games that are hooked up to a bike where basically the faster you pedal the faster you go. 

It's Ridge Racer.....(crickets chirp)  RIIIIIIIDGE RAACERRR!! </Kaz>

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2008, 01:14:32 PM »

Took a sneak peak this morning and it looks like this will be my biggest weight loss week to date.

However, I do have home made Chicken Pot Pie night to get through tonight and my daughter's Birthday party on Saturday to get through...
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2008, 01:25:13 PM »

Well, thus far this week I'm on track - last week and this week thus far I hit class 5 days for at least an hour and a half.  I've also tried to put an apple between meals to ensure my metabolism continues to move as much as possible.  I've also managed to dodge the Friday donut nonsense as well as any other treats.  I'm really tryin here...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on January 24, 2008, 01:25:13 PM

Well, thus far this week I'm on track - last week and this week thus far I hit class 5 days for at least an hour and a half.  I've also tried to put an apple between meals to ensure my metabolism continues to move as much as possible.  I've also managed to dodge the Friday donut nonsense as well as any other treats.  I'm really tryin here...

Good work!

Here's a cookie for you.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2008, 03:43:56 PM »

Speaking of cookies, our HR lady was actually baking chocolate-chip cookies in the office yesterday and it made the whole building smell good all day.  It was sooo hard to pass those up, but I did. 

My hard part isn't the week, where I'm at work for 10+ hours a day and eating normally, but on the weekends I tend to just eat crap all day long if I'm at home and that tanks me hard.  Pizza, chips, chocolate, whatever.  When I'm bored I easily fall victim to cravings.  I think I need to work 7 days a week or something.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2008, 01:30:25 PM »

Not 1 blasted lb. this week. Which makes no sense as I've increased my mileage and decreased my intake.

Hopefully it comes together next week.  retard
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2008, 05:13:49 PM »

Depression and living alone has, yet again, ruined any work I've put into losing weight.  I need to stop with the combat food.

TheMissingLink on PSN
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2008, 05:21:59 PM »

Didn't do good at all, we just moved to an apartment, and we've been eating a lot of junk food during the week.  I gained 2.20 pounds this week frown
depward

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2008, 05:28:15 PM »

Lost 1.9 for a total of around 7 this month.  Not all that awesome, but if I keep this up month to month I'll be good to go in July   icon_cool

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
warning

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2008, 06:02:47 PM »

No real weight loss (but no real gain either) but I ran 8.1 miles yesterday!  My previous longest distance was 6 miles.

Half-marathon (13 miles) in mid-April!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2008, 12:58:39 PM »

Quote from: warning on January 27, 2008, 06:02:47 PM

No real weight loss (but no real gain either) but I ran 8.1 miles yesterday!  My previous longest distance was 6 miles.

Great job!  What was your time for that distance?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2008, 11:31:11 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 28, 2008, 12:58:39 PM

Quote from: warning on January 27, 2008, 06:02:47 PM

Great job!  What was your time for that distance?

Well I'm with a running group and we're all training for this half-marathon.  It was pretty slow but I'm not sure exactly how long.  Over 1:30 I think.  They try to keep us to a 10 minute mile pace but we don't always stay there.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »

Niiiiiice thumbsup
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2008, 06:21:46 AM »

Anyone know of a good stopwatch/timer?  I'm going by a pretty specific running plan from coolrunning.com and I need a timer that will automatically switch between different amounts of time before beeping.  Something like 3 minutes, 1 minute, then 3 minutes again, etc...  When I run, I still need to stay focused on the running since it's still a struggle, having to check when part of my run is up throws me off.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2008, 12:33:50 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 01, 2008, 06:21:46 AM

Anyone know of a good stopwatch/timer?  I'm going by a pretty specific running plan from coolrunning.com and I need a timer that will automatically switch between different amounts of time before beeping.  Something like 3 minutes, 1 minute, then 3 minutes again, etc...  When I run, I still need to stay focused on the running since it's still a struggle, having to check when part of my run is up throws me off.

No clue here.  I just used a regular wristwatch and just checked it frequently when I started out.  I started with walking 4 minutes and running 1 minute and worked my way up from there.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2008, 12:38:17 PM »

I'm now down 16lbs. Lets see if I can tackle the other 80. Tongue

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »

*sigh*  I'm not sure what to make of this.  Sure, I was sick and missed two days of class (out of four) but somehow I gained 1.8 lbs?  The only thing I can think of is that we did a lot of strength training on those days and I somehow picked up a bit more muscle mass.  Either way, I'm not happy.  frown

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2008, 01:52:38 PM »

Quote from: Turtle
When I did Couch to 5k I just used a plain jane cheapo stopwatch.  I don't know if you're resetting your stopwatch each time you hit the segment time, but I just started at the beginning left it running the whole time.  I just knew that at 1:00 it was time to walk, 4:00 it was time to run, 5:00 I could walk again, etc.  Different strokes, I know, but when I did it it actually helped encourage me to have to keep looking at my time.  It helped let me have an end in sight to my run segments.

Another thing you might want to try is to go by distance rather than speed.  Use the satellite view and route plotter in Google Earth or mapmyrun.com and plot out your running course.  You can figure out that the 2nd tree after X street is where you can walk, or that the blue house after the bend is where it's time to run again.  That way you don't have to look at your watch at all, plus you have visible goals to try and make it to.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2008, 04:37:13 PM »

I could have sworn I signed up for this.
Any way as part of the challenge I have joined a Kickboxing\Karate class for adults, I am 2 weeks in now and it is alot more physically challenging than I remember as a kid. Anyway the work out and "conditioning" have been pushing me beyond my limits, if I was to do this at home (workout) I would never get as much as Iam being pushed in that class. I will Weigh in this weekend to see If I lost anything

Starting weight 250lbs Hight 6'1" Solid with a bit of a belly
Goal to lose -50lbs
target Weight 200lbs then tone ABS, Chest, Biceps, & thighs. 

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2008, 05:19:19 PM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on February 01, 2008, 04:37:13 PM

I could have sworn I signed up for this.
Any way as part of the challenge I have joined a Kickboxing\Karate class for adults, I am 2 weeks in now and it is alot more physically challenging than I remember as a kid. Anyway the work out and "conditioning" have been pushing me beyond my limits, if I was to do this at home (workout) I would never get as much as Iam being pushed in that class. I will Weigh in this weekend to see If I lost anything

Starting weight 250lbs Hight 6'1" Solid with a bit of a belly
Goal to lose -50lbs
target Weight 200lbs then tone ABS, Chest, Biceps, & thighs. 

Welcome,

Please post your logs here...
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,24267.msg353211.html#msg353211

Be sure to read the first post.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2008, 05:58:59 PM »

If I don't lose weight this week, I'm finding Ken and kicking him in the eyes.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »

Well, Ken avoids battery to his ocular circuitry as I've lost 2 lbs.

Two stinking lbs.  For the whole month of january I lost 5 lbs.  PA-THET-IC.

frown
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »

Whew!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2008, 12:48:47 PM »

I managed to knock down 3.8 pounds this week.  Good to see the number going in the right direction. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2008, 12:49:38 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 08, 2008, 12:48:47 PM

I managed to knock down 3.8 pounds this week.  Good to see the number going in the right direction. 

Only numbers from Sunday count!  slywink
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2008, 02:26:32 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 08, 2008, 12:49:38 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on February 08, 2008, 12:48:47 PM

Only numbers from Sunday count!  slywink

Heh, I do the Friday to Friday thing.  Works best with my schedule.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2008, 02:33:25 PM »

February 10. 193.8.  New scale that measures 1/10ths in the house.  Now I can obsess even more.  Don't know what the difference is, but I'm happy with a 2 lb loss.

So 7 lbs +/- in  5.5 weeks.   Not great, but I've lost 2lbs each of the last two weeks so hopefully things are starting to click.

If I keep the 2 lb per week pace up , I'll be 3lbs behind goal which is to have lost 15 by March 5 which is tolerable, I guess.

It's going much slower than I had anticipated. Thats for sure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: