http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 01:17:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smallville Season 8 (spoilers inevitable)  (Read 1194 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2008, 09:53:35 PM »

Anyone watching Smallville this season?

I've actually been enjoying the season so far, even without Lex, and it does look like they are pulling out the big guns.  sure, it's definitely going against the comic book canon, but so what?  anyways, next weeks episode looks to be a doozy.  Chloe and Jimmy's wedding, and an unexpected party crasher.  this pic is pulled from the 'next episode' preview:

I'd be surprised if this isn't the last season though, after playing the Doomsday card there's not much for them to do to top it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 03:51:57 AM »

Haven't been watching due to grad school. Does WB post the episodes online?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:20:09 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on November 17, 2008, 03:51:57 AM

Haven't been watching due to grad school. Does WB post the episodes online?

Hulu has 2 of the most recent episodes, the same one the main website has.  for some reason they aren't puttimg any others online  disgust

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 01:01:45 AM »

just watched the season finale.. holy cow!  Chloe's little plan came back to bite her in the ass  eek

Spoiler for Hiden:
they killed Jimmy Olsen!

next season looks like it might be a bit darker too, plus it looks like we'll see Kandor and Zod coming into play.

Because I can,
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 02:02:29 AM »

This was my reaction right after seeing the episode, I had posted it on Kryptonsite.  I only started watching this show in March and went through all 8 seasons with the help of my sisters DVD collection and torrents for season 8.

The fight was lame, no beyond lame and what was the point of Rokk coming back to tell Clark that by saving Chloe he changed history and now Clark dies. I never really saw Clark do a single thing he hadn't already planned before Rokk warned him, so how exactly did Clark change history back? Clark still used the Black K which was his plan before, are we supposed to buy that whole "nothing on earth can defeat him so I'll put him underground" idea of Clarks, come on that's a pretty damn huge gamble on what is nothing more than a question of semantics. Back to the fight, even the Lois/Tess fight had more excitement than the Clark/Doomsday fight and it was pretty bad in itself what with Lois forgetting that she is supposed to be a what 3rd degree blackbelt army brat? This season finale suffered from bad writing and directing and stunt gags and we're talking about a show based on a comic. This comes to mind as the weakest season finale in the series, it would have been better if we had not seen Clark at all following the explosion, I also would have just liked a single shot of nothing more than Lois's eyes in open wonder without seeing what she is seeing, not sure how you would cut a scene like that in with a missing Clark but we could have had a Chloe/Oliver conversation since he has history with Lois as well to explain a cut to Lois.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 03:17:44 AM »

yeah, the whole fight seemed a bit weak.  and the way they cut it off abruptly had me rewinding it to make sure I didn't miss something.  about the only stand out bit was the part I spoiled and the closing scene.

Because I can,
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 05:07:20 AM »

In the next to the last episode I was under the impression that the purple orb was Eradicator and it was telling Tess to have Clark destroy Doomsday to protect Kandor, I guess it wouldn't know that Krypton blew up.  If that was the case why in the hell would it release Zod?

PS3 - PTCynic
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 05:18:54 AM »

I've been keeping up with the show only because I'm incredulous as to why they keep renewing it.  It is, imho, one of the worst shows on television at this point.  They continuously butcher a comic book icon with seeming glee each and every episode, but that's a distant issue compared to the level of bad writing.  It's like watching a train wreck...I can't look away because it is so terrible.  Right now I put this in the same category as According to Jim in my book of "why in the hell do they keep renewing this?"   icon_eek

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 05:24:18 AM »

Quote from: Rich on May 17, 2009, 05:07:20 AM

In the next to the last episode I was under the impression that the purple orb was Eradicator and it was telling Tess to have Clark destroy Doomsday to protect Kandor, I guess it wouldn't know that Krypton blew up.  If that was the case why in the hell would it release Zod?

I was mistaken- the mark they showed was actually for Zor-El, not Zod.  

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 08:43:09 AM »

Um, what have I walked into?  I stopped watching Smallville a while back and now I'm hearing about even wackier superhero fights, with Lois fighting some other girl.  What's this about Chloe hatching some evil scheme?  What the hell happened to this show?!

Then again, I did stop watching it for a reason.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 02:57:26 PM »

Honestly, I'd say this season has been overall better than the past few. The finale, however, was definitely a lackluster one.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 05:17:30 PM »

I stopped watching after the first two seasons.  I could see things weren't heading in a good direction.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 05:42:52 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 17, 2009, 08:43:09 AM

What's this about Chloe hatching some evil scheme? 

not an evil scheme, she was trying to save someone and it blew up in her face because she misjudged the person.

Because I can,
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 07:04:52 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 17, 2009, 08:43:09 AM

I'm hearing about even wackier superhero fights, with Lois fighting some other girl.

This season revolved around Doomsday from the Death of Superman story in the comics but with a pretty skewering view from what I can tell after reading wiki pages about the comic.  They had a small cat fight in the basement of the Daily Planet between Lois and Tess Mercer who is combination of Lex Luthor's Girlfriend from the Superman movie and Mercy Graves, Lex Luthor's bodyguard in the animated series.  In Smallville they combined the characters and made Tess into Lex's successor of Luthor Corp after the guy who played Lex left the show.  The gave her a history that combined with Green Arrow's origin, from what we can tell she split with GA then ended up in Lex's organization and showed up after Lex had been apparently killed in the season 7 finale.  She found out a not dead Lex had her implanted with an optical camera in her eye prior to appearing on the show and had been spying using her eyes and ears, she got pissed and had it removed and merged Luthorcorp with GA's Queen Industry and pretty much gave control over to Oliver.  Tess also put the whole Clark Kent/Superman/Doomsday/Krypton story together faster than anyone else did in the previous 7 seasons but we found out near the end of the season that she was being told what to do by a purple orb from Krypton that most think is Smallville's version of the Eradicator.  The orb went missing in the finale and Tess accused Lois of taking it and they got in a fight, the character of Tess has a history of kick boxing I believe and Lois was trained in Karate I believe she mentioned in one of her first episodes that she was a 3rd degree black belt.  I expected a pretty good fight but was disappointed but it was still better than what should have been one the best Superman fights.  Clark basically shows up and catches a car that was absently knocked out of the way by Doomsday then he get thrown through about 3-4 buildings in one shot and is about to get hit when he superjumps Doomsday into the air and they crash into a Geothermal plant that Clark had planned to bury DD in as a way to defeat him. 

There were so many WTF's in that episode.  Jimmy gets run through with a length of scrap metal and collapses on the floor but has the strength to get up about a minute later and attack the guy who shoved a 2" diameter pole through his chest, no not going to happen.  Also I know the guy just found out that the girl he loved never cared for him but jesus killing Jimmy was out of character for him, the guy did everthing he could to try to keep the Doomsday side of him from hurting innocent people all season long, he even tried to kill himself and wanted the Justice League at the end to take him before Chloe split Doomsday from his human half only to turn into a sociopath at the end, I didn't buy that, it was stupid plot contrivance to kill off him and Jimmy.

From what I read online back when the Smallville creators wanted to bring Jimmy onto the show as a love interest for Chloe DC had a problem with it because Jimmy should be much younger than Clark & Lois, the creative team on Smallville claimed they told DC they had a plan to correct that.  Smallville's plan it appears was to kill him off and have Chloe hand his camera to Jimmy's younger brother at the funeral and tell him that Jimmy would want him to have it.  So what was Jimmy not Jimmy's name for the last 3 years or does his little brother just use Jimmy as a sort of alias in the future?

The Lois fight earlier, ok so Lois is super pissed that Clark isn't out looking for a missing Chloe and appears to be just working on a story instead, then she sneaks into Tess' office and gets caught by Jimmy who is also breaking into Tess' office, they locate Chloe via GPS and Jimmy tells her to watch the monitor and let him know if Chloe moves while he goes to the location, cut away from Lois.  Next time we see Lois she's going back downstairs to her desk so she can end up in a fight with Tess in the basement.  WTH, wouldn't it have made more sense for her to actually still be in Tess' office I don't know maybe watching the screen like she's supposed to be doing and have Tess catch her there and have the fight, of course then she wouldn't knock the Legion ring out of Clark's desk and get transported to the future.

BTW, I'm not mad at this I'm just laughing at the shit we are supposed to buy on this show.  From what I can tell people thought the previous creative team sucked but from what I saw this season started off pretty well and then went to shit, I thought the other seasons were better even if they had way too much of Lana Lang.  I'm going to guess they had a plan to end the show then had to shift gears when they found out it had been renewed for a 9th and possible 10th season.  Don't get me wrong I found WTF moments in all previous 7 seasons that I would bring up to the guy at work who got me to watch it in the first place but it's still a fun show overall and got me interested in Superman (who I used to hate) and DC characters other than those found in the Batman stories.

Quote from: CeeKay on May 17, 2009, 05:24:18 AM

I was mistaken- the mark they showed was actually for Zor-El, not Zod.

OK that makes a little more sense then, but now I wonder who it was standing there in the middle of the mark, are they going to do the impostor Superman story that followed the death of Superman in the comics.  I'd like that story since Clark seems to be disillusioned with humanity and has seemingly left Metropolis, it would make for a good story to have it be Eradicator in a body that looks like Clark (ala the bizarro storyline) and then trying to be Superman but with more of a judge and jury attitude, from what I've read on wiki that's pretty much what they did in the comics.

PS3 - PTCynic
Havoc76
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 08:53:36 PM »

I have really enjoyed the series, as my "guilty pleasure" show. I even enjoyed this season, but the finale was just all over the place and ended up being one of the worst episodes that I can remember. Why not just have Pete "The Boss" Ross pop out of nowhere and impale Chloe too. Just awful finale.

Can someone answer me this, why didn't Chloe use her healing powers to save Jimmy? Did I miss a point where she lost those powers? I know Clark at one point told her not to use them because they were "dangerous" to herself, but I can't imagine her not using them in that situation. Did I just miss the conversation where she lost them or is this a big plot hole that the 14-year olds they hired to write this episode missed?  saywhat
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »

This show used to be one of my guilty pleasures but I finally stopped watching earlier this season because (1) Bones (another guilty pleasure) was moved to the same time slot and I could only record one of them, and (2) I just could not think of a good reason to keep watching the show.  Lois has actually turned out pretty good, but the show lost a lot when the Luthors departed.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 01:55:23 AM »

Quote from: Havoc76 on May 17, 2009, 08:53:36 PM

I have really enjoyed the series, as my "guilty pleasure" show. I even enjoyed this season, but the finale was just all over the place and ended up being one of the worst episodes that I can remember. Why not just have Pete "The Boss" Ross pop out of nowhere and impale Chloe too. Just awful finale.

Can someone answer me this, why didn't Chloe use her healing powers to save Jimmy? Did I miss a point where she lost those powers? I know Clark at one point told her not to use them because they were "dangerous" to herself, but I can't imagine her not using them in that situation. Did I just miss the conversation where she lost them or is this a big plot hole that the 14-year olds they hired to write this episode missed?  saywhat

Chloe lost her powers when Brainiac took her over, they didn't come out and explain it step by step but when Clark got shot by a mind controlled GA early this season she tried to heal him and they didn't work anymore then Martian Manhunter had to step in to save Clark.  I think they were looking for a way out of that ability since it was too convenient to have even if it did "kill" her for a longer and longer length of time each time she used them so they did the Brainiac thing.

Damn, I've turned into the uber geek, and to think 2 years ago I didn't know shit about comics.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 01:57:04 AM by Rich » Logged

PS3 - PTCynic
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 11:22:11 PM »

I just got caught up with the show on my DVR and while it wasn't the best finale, I don't think it was terrible either. The fight scene was disappointing, but it was obvious with this entire season they weren't going for the action angle so much as the story angle. Unfortunately they could have done the story parts a little bit better. I appreciate what they were trying to do with Clark and his "seeing the good in everybody" coming back to bite him in the ass, I just don't think they did a great job with it.

Quote from: Rich on May 17, 2009, 02:02:29 AM

The fight was lame, no beyond lame and what was the point of Rokk coming back to tell Clark that by saving Chloe he changed history and now Clark dies. I never really saw Clark do a single thing he hadn't already planned before Rokk warned him, so how exactly did Clark change history back? Clark still used the Black K which was his plan before, are we supposed to buy that whole "nothing on earth can defeat him so I'll put him underground" idea of Clarks, come on that's a pretty damn huge gamble on what is nothing more than a question of semantics.

Exactly. Clark didn't do a single thing different...and now "Clark is dead". While we don't know exactly what Clark is going to do in his exile, it's safe to assume that he will not turn into Superman on this timeline. And without a record of Clark Kent or Superman, I can easily see where Rokk would assume that Doomsday killed him. What changed though is Louis is now in the future, so anything can happen depending on when they send her back, or what she does when she returns.

It wasn't the best finale the show has ever done, and it wasn't even a true cliffhanger ending either. But it still set up what could be a very interesting next season. And I like what they did with Jimmy. I know this show isn't official canon, I accepted that a long time ago. So whatever they do in this universe is fine with me, as long as it makes for entertaining television. I did find it funny that they buried Doomsday, since in the comic he was buried under the earth before he escaped and fought Superman.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 12:21:15 AM »

rumor has it they're shuffling Smallville off to Friday nights for it's 9th season.  It sounds like they want to finally kill it.

Because I can,
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2009, 12:21:15 AM

rumor has it they're shuffling Smallville off to Friday nights for it's 9th season.  It sounds like they want to finally kill it.

Probably not the worst thing in the world. They could easily get from where they are now to him becoming Superman in one season and wrap up the entire show.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 02:07:21 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on May 21, 2009, 01:17:45 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 21, 2009, 12:21:15 AM

Probably not the worst thing in the world. They could easily get from where they are now to him becoming Superman in one season and wrap up the entire show.

About time if they do.  For cryin' out loud, the guy's like 47 now.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: