http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 10:08:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleep-related injuries  (Read 426 times)
Isgrimnur
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »

I woke up with a pulled muscle in my back, which has me thinking about how unsafe sleeping truly is.

When I was 18, I had acquired a rubber band gun at a local fair. Prior to going to sleep, I had loaded the weapon to its full capacity and laid it on the desk in my dorm room. Approximately three hours later, the weapon discharged. Not factoring this event into the possibilities for the evening, I had not made any specific safety adjustments to the care and storage of said weapon. As such, I was awoken rather suddenly when the discharged rubber round impacted the top of my skull.

On occasion, I have been known to have a muscle spasm that will jerk me awake. When I was about 10, my dresser was positioned right at the head of my bed. So one night, I was positioned near the edge of my bed and proceeded to spasm my head directly into the side of the dresser.

So what sleep-related nonsense have you gotten up to? Any sleepwalkers/sleeptalkers out there like my ex-gf?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 06:06:37 PM »

I talk if I am really stressed...other than that...only pulled muscles...I am a tossing/turning sleeper.  Don't know how many time i have woken up with my arm asleep from laying my head on it.....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:11:19 PM »

I have two sleep-related injuries that may happen to me occasionally. Both are really, really painful, probably the most painful things I've ever experienced (I've been lucky that way).

One is when I somehow end up sleeping on my folded ear. After a few hours of this, the pain is insane.

The other one is worse. Sometimes just as I'm waking up, I'll start stretching my entire body. Since I'm not fully awake yet, my normal limitations aren't completely active. As a result, a couple of times per year I'll end up getting severe cramps in my right leg from overstretching the muscles in it. It's so painful that I can end up crying out in pain, waking the neighbours in the process. The cramps take about half a minute to calm down, but the pain remains for the rest of the day. It's happened often enough now that I can usually stop the process when I recognize my body's signals, but it's still scary when I get too close for comfort.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »

I have nothing to share of that level, but I simply advise people to cut their fingernails regularly. Some months ago, I just nonchalanatly dragged a thumbnail across my chin while tossing in bed, and woke up with a slightly bloody cut along my chin.  saywhat We're not talking Guiness Book of World Records fingernails, it was just slightly long. Maybe I'll have to sleep with gloves on...  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »

I read that as sheep-related injuries.

I apparently need more sleep.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 07:43:17 PM »

you know how your subconscious mind takes control and jerks you up out of bed?  i had that happen in a camper bed with one of those articulating shelf/goose-neck lamps attached via a half inch wide bolt through the shelf.  i had already partially woke up and was laying half off the side when it happened.  i hit my head on the under side of that bolt with a grazing blow.  took up a patch of scalp and i'm pretty sure knocked me out for bit afterwards.  no idea how long, but i remember stumbling into the house and my mom getting a bit nervous.  just lucky i didn't have the table out too far or it could have been a solid hit on the forehead (or worse)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: