http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 12:57:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sky Captain?  (Read 1204 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2004, 02:05:43 PM »

First off....I'm looking forward to going to see Crimson Skies and the World of Tomorrow...er...Sky Captain I mean.   Early reviews have been pretty good and I know they have been promoting the hell out of it on TV.  Anyone else making a run for the theater this weekend?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 02:10:34 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
First off....I'm looking forward to going to see Crimson Skies and the World of Tomorrow...er...Sky Captain I mean.   Early reviews have been pretty good and I know they have been promoting the hell out of it on TV.  Anyone else making a run for the theater this weekend?

I'm going to drag my g/f to see it with me this weekend.  She probably won't like it at all.

Is it at all based on Crimson Skies?  Of course that is the first thing I thought of when I saw it and the primary reason I want to see it.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 02:54:44 PM »

No, it's not based on Crimson Skies although the connections are pretty remarkable.  Entertainment Weekly has a preview of the movie in the latest issue in the Gwenyth Paltrow interview.  The guy who created it has been working on it for a decade, made a 6 minute movie (that took 3 years or something) in order to sell it to studios.  The final product is what you will see on Friday.

An interesting this is that he wanted to film it in black and white, but Paramount told him that the foreign film watchers weren't too interested in seeing a B+W film, so he gave it the retro color look.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 02:55:48 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
I'm going to drag my g/f to see it with me this weekend.  She probably won't like it at all.

Does your gf think Jude Law is hot (because many do)?  That's reason enough for many women to go see this movie (I'm serious).

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 03:04:14 PM »

For some odd reason, the fact that they're trying to push this movie as a serious, cool, sci-fi flick in the trailers these days annoys me, because it clearly shows whoever was responsible for them(trailers, I mean) is trying to falsify the whole movie to something else than it actually is - a campy old-school/new-school sci-fi movie with some heavy cheese spread on it.

Now granted, this isn't exactly unheard of in the movie industry, and it wouldn't bug me as much, if the trailers about a year ago didn't have a completely opposite (and more honest) feel to them.

So, as a result, I'm left to question why they saw it necessary to try and change the general flavor of the movie in question in the trailers only, when the movie itself is still the same? And I come to the conclusion that it's most likely because it stinks badly and they're just trying to get a huge first day ticket sales before the word gets out.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 08:34:54 PM »

I'm undecided on this one. Visually it looks stunning, and I love the 1930's look of Sci-Fi. I can applaud the makers for at least staying true to their film, but it doesn't appear the Nazis are the villains. In those stories, the Nazis are always the villains. I think that's what isn't cinching it for me - no swastikas anywhere.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 07:55:07 PM »

IN on Saturday!

Making this part of a double feature with Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 02:29:39 PM »

Anyone sneak out and see this one and can give us some impressions?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 04:26:02 AM »

I finally saw this movie tonight, and I absolutely loved it.  The look was fantastic, and really set the mood for the movie.  The plot was not what I was expecting.  It was admittedly a little cheesy at times, but I enjoyed the humor.  It was a very clean movie as well.  Highly recommended to people who enjoy old sci-fi movies, or something in this kind of style.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 09:58:27 PM »

So what was the final opinion of this movie? Not watched it yet.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 10:04:22 PM »

Quote from: Graham on September 26, 2004, 04:26:02 AM

I finally saw this movie tonight, and I absolutely loved it.  The look was fantastic, and really set the mood for the movie.  The plot was not what I was expecting.  It was admittedly a little cheesy at times, but I enjoyed the humor.  It was a very clean movie as well.  Highly recommended to people who enjoy old sci-fi movies, or something in this kind of style.

It's one of those odd movies that has grown on me over time.  at first I wasn't impressed, but after seeing it a second time I liked it more.  too bad they never did a sequel.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 01:23:51 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 21, 2010, 09:58:27 PM

Last Sunday's Globe ran a story about how movies that flop can nevertheless move the art form forward. Sky Captain was one of their examples. Although it did poorly in theaters and was critically panned, it pioneered the technique of making an entire film green-screened/CG and paved the way for Avatar.

I rented Sky Captain a couple of years ago and was underwhelmed.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 02:48:21 AM »

I enjoyed it myself, it had that campy saturday matinee adventure feel to it.  Plus Ive always found Ms Paltrow to be rather attractive.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 05:49:21 AM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on November 22, 2010, 02:48:21 AM

I enjoyed it myself, it had that campy saturday matinee adventure feel to it.  Plus Ive always found Ms Paltrow to be rather attractive.
Exactly. Has the same 'old serial' feel to it that the Indiana Jones movies have.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 03:05:36 PM »

Quote from: Ironrod on November 22, 2010, 01:23:51 AM

Quote from: Daehawk on November 21, 2010, 09:58:27 PM

Last Sunday's Globe ran a story about how movies that flop can nevertheless move the art form forward. Sky Captain was one of their examples. Although it did poorly in theaters and was critically panned, it pioneered the technique of making an entire film green-screened/CG and paved the way for Avatar.

I rented Sky Captain a couple of years ago and was underwhelmed.

I used to like it but now I hate it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 03:48:48 PM »

I have yet to watch it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »

It was on some cable channel last night.....never could watch that whole movie....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: