http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 10:45:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single CG/GG Roll Call  (Read 2900 times)
Zekester
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2004, 03:39:48 PM »

I started this topic over at Gonegold right before it went under, so what the hell...i'll try it here!

I'd like to hear from other members what they like/dislike about being single, and how 'free' time is spent.

In my own case, i've been single for about 10 weeks now, and it pretty much sucks so far.
Mainly because i'm more of a loner, but liked having at least ONE other person to talk to everyday about the day  :!:

Most of my time is spent walking my dog, cooking, cleaning, watching tv, and some gaming.

Not missing booty just yet, though, because I got that about 2 weeks ago  biggrin

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 03:51:51 PM »

I love being single, and really, the only way I'd want an SO, is if she were a gamer too. Maybe that's too geeky, but gaming is such a part of my personality, that I wouldn't want the strain of having someone around who resented that time I spent in my hobby. I see some of the guys at GG who have SO's who love gaming too, and game with them, and only then am I jealous of married people smile

Being single is nice for obvious reasons, especially freedom. Freedom to do what I want, go where I want, and spend money how I want.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »

Jeff,
don't you ever feel like you should be out meeting new people (girls, at least) with all that gaming time instead?

Maybe i'll get to the point where I can stay in and 'game' more in the future, but right now it just seems like it's a bit of a waste of time.

This isn't meant as a knock on you, BTW

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 04:40:09 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
Jeff,
don't you ever feel like you should be out meeting new people (girls, at least) with all that gaming time instead?

Maybe i'll get to the point where I can stay in and 'game' more in the future, but right now it just seems like it's a bit of a waste of time.

No worries, I don't take it as a knock.  To answer, no, I don't feel a strong urge in that area at all. I've never been greatly motivated to 'find someone' as they say. I'm kinda like ... if it happens, it happens. My brother was the opposite, he couldn't be happy till he found an SO. I'm just not built that way. I can be perfectly content alone, but I do enjoy being with people too, especially good friends.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 05:01:53 PM »

I am single. Everytime I get a girlfriend (which isn't offen) I go nuts and get incredibly bitchy until they get sick of me and leave. I think I have just been a loner for too long in my life that I don't know how to (or I really don't want to) deal with other people on that close of a basis.

The only thing that really sucks is the lack of sex. When I am getting it regularly I convince myself it's over rated and I could do without it though.

It sucks at social events too. Everyone else is at a party with their wife or girlfriend and then I really start feeling like a loser.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 05:15:10 PM »

I've got to chime in here and say that having a SO that isn't a gamer isn't all that bad, so long as she's understanding enough to allow you some time for your hobby.  Mitma's not much of a gamer (Kyodai is about her limit), but she has no qualms with me gaming, and will occasionally even watch.  I'm definitely better off with her than without.   Cool
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 05:29:57 PM »

Quote from: "Zaxxon"
I've got to chime in here and say that having a SO that isn't a gamer isn't all that bad, so long as she's understanding enough to allow you some time for your hobby.  Mitma's not much of a gamer (Kyodai is about her limit), but she has no qualms with me gaming, and will occasionally even watch.  I'm definitely better off with her than without.   Cool

Well you, sir, are just damn lucky. Finding someone like Mitma, especially a geek such as yourself,  :wink:  is like winning the lottery. Most of us aren't that lucky!

Count yer blessings smile
HarveyB
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 05:34:28 PM »

Into my fourth month of solitary life after 9 years of marriage I find good and bad.

I moved to a new city when my marriage ended because my clients and business were both primarily located there. However, who wants to socialize with customers? I work in a home office, which means I have very little opportunity to meet new people. There are times I don't leave my appartment for two or three days in a row and start to go a little stir-crazy.  I'm not naturally very gregarious, nor am I into the bar scene any longer, and while I made an attempt to meet the neighbors when I moved in, it hasn't led to anything more than "Hi, How ya doing" when passing each other in the parking lot. I took up contract Bridge again and played at the local bridge club, but found I was the youngest person there - by about  20 years (and I'm 52!). so the short answer is I miss some of the personal contact.

I've been doing the internet dating thing, and have met and dated 4 different women since August (none of which have led anywhere), so that helps a bit.

I don't want to sound like I'm crying the blues about being single, cause there's a lot of aspects I like - in short, not having to compromise.  I can make what I want fo dinner, watch what I want on TV (currently catching up on The Sopranos), listen to the music I like, and go see the movies I want to see, without discussion/argument with someone else.

Oh, and I no longer have to sneak new games into the house :wink:

The Artist Formerly Known as TGB
Debris
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 05:43:56 PM »

Hello all!  I followed the beacon and finally made my way here.

Hope everything is OK with Rich...
DPW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 12:28:42 AM »

Quote from: "Zaxxon"

My girlfriend isn't much into games, but she tolerates them. Probably because I tolerate shopping with her. :roll:
Zathras
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 02:49:51 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Quote from: "Zekester"
Jeff,

No worries, I don't take it as a knock.  To answer, no, I don't feel a strong urge in that area at all. I've never been greatly motivated to 'find someone' as they say. I'm kinda like ... if it happens, it happens. My brother was the opposite, he couldn't be happy till he found an SO. I'm just not built that way. I can be perfectly content alone, but I do enjoy being with people too, especially good friends.

I'd have to say that I'm close to Jeff in this respect.  I'm very single at the moment, and I don't really feel any strong urge to change that.  If it happens, great.  But if it doesn't, then it's not that big of a deal.  

I'm an introvert by nature and when I'm alone, I don't really ever get lonely.  I stopped drinking a few years ago, so there's zero interest in the bar scene.  Not that I'm anti-social; if a friend calls to say, "Hey let's go do such-and-such." I'm all for that.  But if that doesn't happen I'm just as happy to stay at home and play a game or read a book.

Cthulhu in '04!  Why vote for the lesser of two evils?
Ramoz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 03:01:49 AM »

Pretty much the same as Zathras.  At times I get a little stir crazy and have to get out and find things to do though.

I'm happy being single.  Maybe I'll run into someone that'll make me want to change that, but I don't see it happening any time soon.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 04:39:37 AM »

I'm single as well and ideally if I find a SO she must game a bit or at least be as understanding as Mitma.

Most of my free time is right now spent studying or working on my side business (does that count?) so that leaves me very little time to do anything. Bothers me sometimes that I'm alone but more than others I still cherish being single.

How does this work again?
mitma
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 05:26:50 AM »

I try to be understanding, although I am not perfect.  And I figure he had to be understanding when I had to study all the time for the first two years of medical school, plus all the craziness to come.  I am married to a gamer, he is married to a perpetual student!   nod

Carpe diem.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 05:27:55 AM »

Quote from: "mitma"
I try to be understanding, although I am not perfect.  And I figure he had to be understanding when I had to study all the time for the first two years of medical school, plus all the craziness to come.  I am married to a gamer, he is married to a perpetual student!   nod

Ah, but one day you will graduate, while I will remain a gamer indefinitely.  I win!   unibrow
mitma
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004, 05:29:42 AM »

yes, i'll be the one paying, so you'll still have to be nice  unibrow  back at ya!

Carpe diem.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2004, 08:21:38 AM »

I'm single now, but I'm really close to asking this girl out.  I was going to ask her out this weekend, but I chickened out.  Crap!
As to my free time, it mainly consists of keeping my place clean and a combination of reading/gaming/TV watching.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
gorky1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2004, 09:09:02 AM »

I've never been single in my life (imagine that), but when she's not around and the ceiling's falling on my head, I go for a ride on the motorcycle. Never failed to cheer me up so far after three months of owning a real cheap, 14 years old 125ccm and 5'000km of backroad riding!

I hear bikers like to socialize with other bikers just because they're bikers, but I never felt urge to check this out. I enjoy the waves I get though, even on my humble mount!
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2004, 02:28:21 PM »

I didn't get married until I was 44 so there's still "hope" for you guys yet.I love my wife and we're best friends but if she goes before me I doubt I'll ever get married again.

Ye Olde Farte
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2004, 02:56:45 PM »

Single. About 2 years in from my last relationship. Dating at the moment but no relationship.  Free time playing games, reading, writing, chatting online, watching television. Standard stuff.

Ascendent
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2004, 03:13:56 PM »

I'm single again after about 18 months of not being single.  Before that I was single about a year, and then before that I wasn't single for about seven years.  All the same girl.

Right now it sucks just because I'm depressed over the breakup, and my ex is in a rebound relationship.  My free time is generally wasted as I'm finding I'm having big concentration problems and I've lost interest in the things I used to enjoy like gaming in my free time, reading, writing, and drawing.  However, I'm making strides, attempting to line up a date here and there, getting out with friends now and then, and trying to meet new people.  I've been through this before so I know it will be a couple months before everything is back to normal, but I think it will be easier this time than last time.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2004, 07:08:40 PM »

kathode,
if you haven't yet, try to find a copy of Denis Boyles' "A Modern Man's Guide to Modern Women"

It's has some excellent advice on dealing with breakups... with some humor tossed in here and there.

Odds are against your ex's rebound relationship working out, so she'll be feeling it soon enough, too.  :wink:

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2004, 04:10:11 AM »

best part of being single- sex anytime i want

worst part of being single- less access to a sexual partner
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2004, 06:11:33 AM »

Hmm... I've spent far more of my life single than not-single.  I've been single for about 2 years now.  I have some really good friends that help keep me from getting too lonely.

Best part about being single.... Freedom to do whatever/whenever.  

Worst part about being single....  Being back in college and it seems as though all of the girls look too young or act too young, or a combination.

The fact that I personally tend to act about 5-10 years younger than I am doesn't help the whole thing <G>

Travis

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: