http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 06:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sin City Impressions  (Read 2394 times)
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2005, 09:03:19 AM »

Caught the midnight showing of this (word not invented yet) at the local Alamo Drafthouse. They did a nice menu theme about the seven deadly sins and I choose anger because I love crawfish, but this is besides the point.

The point is is that this movie is a landmark for everything cinematic.

You know what? Thats a pretty big thing to say. Putting this film up along with the ranks of Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia and King Kong would expect some kind of backing to defend its surely absurd claim. Well Im not going to do that. I could rant on and on about how Rourke should win an oscar, how the scenes seemed handcrafted by Jesus, and how there was never a dull beat in this 2 hour orgasm. But I won't waste my time with my "critique".

Just see this movie folks. SEE IT NOW

edit: cliffnotes-  Cool thumbsup

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 10:56:02 AM »

I just saw a biography on Frank Miller and it seems that Miller really did take an active role in directing, and not just sitting on the sidelines like others have said.  He would be on set all the time, direction some scenes, changing some directions, and all the actors could come to him directly for character advice.

I, for one, want to see a Legendary Dark Knight Returns movie.  I mean, we already have a Batman Begins movie, why not is late life exploits?  slywink

Hell, I bet if they'd let him codirect on the Daredevil movie it would have turned out a helluva lot better.  Let's just hope these movie execs realize this.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 05:18:52 AM »

man this movie was awesome.  I bet if this movie was in color it wouldn't never make it out of production because of the violence.

I knew this movie was based off a comic book/graphic novel, but that's it.  I had a great time watching it.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 06:15:00 AM »

I love this movie and I haven't even seen it.

ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 06:27:49 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I love this movie and I haven't even seen it.

Whoa.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 11:02:16 AM »

It's too bad she didn't go all the way into character.  In the comics, Nancy (Alba's character) is topless in that scene.  slywink

But, I'm glad the movie didn't shy away from nudity.  I mean it already has a lot of violence and utterly mature themes, what's a bit of nudity?
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 11:22:05 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
It's too bad she didn't go all the way into character.  In the comics, Nancy (Alba's character) is topless in that scene.  slywink

But, I'm glad the movie didn't shy away from nudity.  I mean it already has a lot of violence and utterly mature themes, what's a bit of nudity?

Yeah I was kind of suprised the film actually made an R rating. What with its constant nudity, shocking gore and rape overtones the director must of sucked off the entire board for this to avoid the NC-17 kiss of death. One thing I actually gasped at was (highlight spoilers)the dismemberment of frodo and the yellow bastards castration. I dont think Ive ever gasped harder in my life than at those scenes :shock:

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 11:49:16 PM »

If it makes Crowley gasp, I suspect this isn't the movie for me...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 01:09:32 AM »

Mixed reaction from me.  I thought it was good but not great.  I really enjoyed the first and third segments but the second was kind of flat, though Clive Owen did bring things up a bit.

I thought the look was way too digital.  I realize digital cameras make things cheaper to make and easier to integrate the effects but the entire movie looked way too clean.  This movie sorely needed a nice dose of film grain.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 05:26:45 AM »

Hopefully Ill see this tomorrow.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 06:12:08 AM »

It was awesome. The way they translated the graphic novels to the screen is so exact that I was having flashbacks from reading the books years ago. The dialogue was dead on the novels, all the classic lines I remembered from reading the Sin City books were in the movie, word for word.

Awesome.

I want to see it again, and I damn well want it on DVD, and I want it like an hour ago.

*edit*

Yeah, the Yellow Bastard bit at the very end was the most disturbing thing in the movie, but then some of us knew it was coming. I just wasn't prepared for them to show it like they did.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 06:35:37 AM »

"Now that is one fine coat you're wearing there."

or

"I love hitmen, no matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad."

I think Marv really stole the movie, followed by Hartigan.  Dwight was okay.

I can certainly see how some wouldn't like it.  It's definitely not a movie for everyone, or for a squeemish.  Simply put, this movie does not dance around the nastier elements of the underworld, however, what's there does fit in to the movie and leaving it out would have been just wrong.

The acting could have been better, but it was still very much in the style of the comics.  Almost all the lines are from the comics, so I can see why the actors didn't have much room for error.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 09:52:51 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I can certainly see how some wouldn't like it.  It's definitely not a movie for everyone, or for a squeemish.  Simply put, this movie does not dance around the nastier elements of the underworld, however, what's there does fit in to the movie and leaving it out would have been just wrong.

I would agree with this. Just got back from seeing it with CrayolaSmoker and Fireball and I didn't like it. There were some great lines, true, and as great as Marv was I think Hartigan's VO was superior. Maybe that's because Willis has done the down on his luck/hard-boiled thing for so long it's second nature.

You know you're in trouble when you can't decide who is the most evil character in the film, and then it hits you what the thinking behind the comics must have been: The world is full of vice and sin, and the best you can hope for is to remain status quo. That, to me, equals boring. I won't argue that the acting was top-notch, particularly Rourke and Willis (though Powers Boothe and Elijah Wood were awesome in their small bits as well).

Visually I thought it was stunning. Sin City should be the template for how big special effects flicks do acting in the future. You buy that they're interacting with the environment instead of around it.

But other than that and Carla Gugino's spectacular form, I thought it was awful.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 12:34:08 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
But other than that and Carla Gugino's spectacular form, I thought it was awful.

I think this is the first time I've disagreed with you about a movie.

Weirdo.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 12:58:10 AM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

I think this is the first time I've disagreed with you about a movie.

Weirdo.

Heck, I figure a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this. But other than what I cited as the source material's primary failing (which I place at Frank Miller's feet, not Robert Rodriguez) the story and film both glorified ultra-violence for the sake of trying to one-up itself. Let's see, just how many castrations/torture/executions/maulings can we fit into two hours? The only other time I've felt ultra-violence to this degree was so half-assedly used was Natural Born Killers, a flimsy excuse for a movie that I still feel like wasted two hours of my life. I'm glad I saw the technical aspects of Sin City, but I would have felt just as complete if I'd left the theater after watching the opening with Josh Hartnett. Watch that scene, and you've seen the movie.

But I was in the minority who thought Titanic was shite (and I saw it opening night) so this happens every once and a while.

/shrug

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
3Pac
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 01:04:05 AM »

I have no previous experience with the Sin City comics, and let me tell you. If this is your first experience with this material, this will be a very weird movie. I loved it, it is THE most artistic movie I have ever seen. However,  I will need to se it around three for the material to sink in.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 04:32:30 AM »

Everyone should think Titanic is garbage. It is.

I saw it once, and will never watch it again. Terrible terrible movie from an otherwise great director.

You tricked me once Cameron.. never again will I see a movie of yours without knowing the actual plot first.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 05:32:19 AM »

but Thin_j, you already knew the plot and the ending.  The ship sinks.  slywink

Titanic was way overrated in my book, it's not even romantic.  Girls will go all googly eyed over how she leaps from the lifeboat to be with Jack.  But frankly, she got him killed by making him look after her.

I mean, Jack's a survivor, he would have found that floating debris and stayed on it while everyone else drowned, but no, she goes and jumps back on the sinking boat, making him give her the debris and freeze to death in the process.

Back to Sin City.  The movie left out some small sections that help to establish characters even more, although not needed, they were some pretty nice scenes left out of Marv's story.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 05:42:54 AM »

Saw this over the weekend.  I have not read the comics.

The visuals are all that and more, and I don't just mean Carla Gugino.  :shock:

But the storytelling just wasn't up to snuff(no pun intended).  Lots of things seemed inconsistent and, frankly, like pointless wastes of time. For instance, the wraparound story.  Also, the stories just weren't satisfying. At the end, I didn't feel like I wanted more.   Good storytelling always leaves me wanting more.  I can't get more specific without going into spoilers.

The movie felt long, considering how amazing, truly amazing, it looked.  I didn't get bored per se, but I did find my mind wandering a bit. If I wore a watch I'm sure I would have looked at it.

Jessica Alba should have gotten topless or bottomless or some combination thereof, it would have fit the movie and the character.  This is the ONE movie where shameless, rampant, objectifying nudity would NOT be gratuitous, it would have been justified in context... and she wimps out. BOO!!!  :evil:  She goes to the back of the line in my 'hot chicks I'd spend money to see in a movie' list.

Unbreakable is still my favorite comic book movie, although it's not based on a real comic.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 05:58:23 AM »

There was lots of stuff I did like though.

The performances were all top notch in that not once did I think someone in the cast wasn't doing their part to add to the fun.  The bits of humor were right up my alley, such as the sight gag of Marv holding the guy outside his car.

I actually liked Clive Owens' story the most.  Although he wasn't as much fun to watch as Rourke and Willis, his story had the best flow and pacing in my opinion.

My favorite moment, and it'll be one I remember as an alltime favorite jaw dropping 'OMG!' movie moment, was with Carla Gugino.  No, not when she showed off her awesome rack(I've seen her do nude scenes before), it was the one where we see another part of her body, 'nuff said.

There were lots of great things in this movie, too bad they didn't add up to a great movie.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 03:50:14 PM »

the point behind Natural Born killer was not JUST violence.  If you thought that was all the movie was about you missed A LOT Of the point being made.  NBK, not one of Terrentinos best efforts, but good.  For nothing but violence, Kill Bill.  And arent all action movies about the violence, and the explosions?  I havent seen Sin CIty yet, but I plan on going tomorrow on my day off.  I have heard great things about it.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 07:00:59 AM »

Apparently, Rodriguez says the eventual DVD release will restore all the deleted scenes that they shot, including a scene where Marv visits his mom to retrieve a gun. I believe this was a sequence that was in the original graphic novel.

The catch is that the deleted scenes will be reintegrated into the movie, but are only viewable in a separate story format, which essentially emulates the standalone graphic novel experience. For example, you can choose to view just The Hard Goodbye, which is the Marv story, and in that format, the beginning and end will apparently have title and credits, and the deleted scenes will be in that cut. If you view the entire three story arc as one long movie, you will only see the theatrical release, sans deleted scenes.

Sounds like a novel approach. I can't wait for the DVD release. A director's commentary track with Rodriguez and Miller will be really fascinating to listen to. Rodriguez's director's commentaries on his other DVD releases have been highly interesting and educational.

As for the movie itself, I enjoyed every minute of it. Sin City is not so much a movie as it is an experience in mood and imagery. It's definitely not for everyone, but personally, it was an amazing technical film noir experience.

...and all the women were smokin' hot. Even Jessica "won't show my goods" Alba.
Carla Gugino's body is stunning. I couldn't believe the mom from Spy Kids was buck nekkid in all her boobalicious glory.
unbreakable
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 08:51:07 AM »

Great movie, best use of violence in a movie since Pulp Fiction.

And it really felt more like watching a graphic novel than watching a movie.  Great job on this movie, this will be a must-buy.

BTW, yes, seeing the mom from Spy Kids nekkid was great.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 02:30:56 PM »

Saw this Wed night.  I've never been a huge fan of extreme gratuitous violence but putting it in black and white in comic book style like that made it bearable even in the worst scenes though the castration was kinda over the top....I actually shut my eyes in that scene.  Aside from that scene, though, I loved the movie.

Incredible acting and direction.  Loved the 3 story arc and how it was woven together.  

I definitely give it an A+ and will be buying the dvd.

And yea, how did they get so many fine women for that=)   My god.

Also loved how certain actors and actresses were played off against other films or shows they've done.  Made for some subtle humor that still fit right in.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 07:43:53 PM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
And it really felt more like watching a graphic novel than watching a movie.  Great job on this movie, this will be a must-buy.

Yeah, they really pulled that off well.

AFter seeing it my whole family was all messed up.  We all walked out nad didn't say anything to eachother til we got in the car.  Really weird.  Guess it was the violence.

Elijah Wood and Marvin were two awesome characters.  Is thata ll of the books he wrote?
unbreakable
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2005, 02:42:43 PM »

I have a good friend who really freaks out at horror films.  Some idiot she went on a date with took her to see "Saw" a while back, and she called me afterward and was having a paranoid attack.  On the good side, she finally went out and got bars on her windows, which she had been putting off for quite a while.  Someone took her to see "The Ring 2" recently  :roll:

Anyway, I was telling her this was a really great film, but she might not want to see two specific parts of it (the scene where the Spy Kids mom talks about her... imprompt surgery, and the scene where Frodo's upance has come).  Those two specific scenes were pretty brutal.

One funny thing I noticed about this film; when I remember stuff that happened, it tends to be in 'frames', just like I was recalling panels from a comic.  Pretty neat.

Is that all of the books he wrote?

I just looked this stuff up on Amazon the other day
The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, Book 1: Second Edition)
A Dame to Kill For (Sin City, Book 2: Second Edition)
The Big Fat Kill (Sin City, Book 3: Second Edition)
That Yellow Bastard (Sin City, Book 4: Second Edition)
Family Values (Sin City, Book 5: Second Edition)
Booze, Broads, & Bullets (Sin City, Book 6: Second Edition)
Sin City: Hell and Back (Book 7)
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2005, 04:22:30 PM »

The Hard Goodbye is awesome. I read a friends copy years and years ago, but picked it up again yesterday at Barnes and Noble.

I think I'll grab That Yellow Bastard next.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: