http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 08:10:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shrinky Dinks As a Threat To National Security  (Read 494 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: August 10, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »

I can't make this stuff up:

"What do Shrinky Dinks, credit cards and paperclips have in common? They can all be used to duplicate the keys to Medeco 'high-security' locks that protect the White House, the Pentagon, embassies, and many other sensitive locations. The attack was demonstrated at Defcon by Marc Weber Tobias and involves getting a picture of the key, then printing it out and cutting plastic to match both credit cards and Shrinky Dinks plastic are recommended. The paperclip then pushes aside a slider deep in the keyway, while the plastic cut-out lifts the pins. They were able to open an example lock in about six seconds. The only solution seems to be to ensure that your security systems are layered, so that attackers are stopped by other means even if they manage to duplicate your keys."

Huh. Better stock up now - they won't last on the market much longer once the government gets word of this.  Roll Eyes

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 02:20:37 PM »

They do need a picture of scan of the key;thats kind of like getting a head start.  For the test a company bought a lock and mailed the hackers a scan of the key.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 05:44:06 PM »

What are Shrinky Dinks?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 07:48:29 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on August 10, 2008, 05:44:06 PM

What are Shrinky Dinks?

They were (and apparently still are) a kind of clear plastic sheet that you could color in, cut out and then put in the oven to shrink and harden them. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 09:00:48 PM »

Frankly, I'm still amazed the things (Shrinky Dinks) are still around. I mean, like the Easy Bake Oven, aren't those things even remotely dangerous?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: