http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 03:15:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shrek 2 DVD - Why on Friday?  (Read 2557 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2004, 05:05:41 PM »

Does anyone know why this is coming out Friday instead of today?  I thought that was odd... :?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 05:21:49 PM »

To try to take the thunder away from The Incredibles...that's the base reason.

They did this with the Shrek DVD release as well...released it the same day as Monsters Inc. hit theaters (November 2nd, 2001).

Xbox Live: AgtFox
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 05:47:25 PM »

That's weird.  Why would they expect people to be more excited to pay $15 for a movie they've already seen, as opposed to $10 for one they haven't???
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 05:55:18 PM »

Don't ask me...I just know that's the reason.  One of our staffpeople has a daughter that's seen Shrek 2 like 1 million times (I'm exaggerating, but I believe she has seen it over 6 times in the theater) in the theaters and I would expect her to watch it 1 million more times on DVD.

You also have to think about families.  For a family (the key group here) to go see Shrek or Incredibles in the theater it is far more than the $10 you stated.  For $15 they can have Shrek and watch it a bunch of times versus, say $40 (tickets, candy, etc.), to go see Incredibles.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 06:38:46 PM »

Why do people buy food when they go to the movies?  Doesn’t it just distract you?  When I go we just buy two tickets and can get in for less then ten bucks.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 06:44:40 PM »

I'm not into food either, but for families it is pretty hard to not get food with children there...that's just me thinking logically.

dmd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 06:45:43 PM »

Quote from: "Lordnine"
Why do people buy food when they go to the movies?  Doesn’t it just distract you?  When I go we just buy two tickets and can get in for less then ten bucks.

Speaking just for myself, I have the unique ability to walk and chew gum and the same time, so sitting and watching a movie while eating munchies is trivial.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 06:47:27 PM »

Why do people buy food when they go to the movies? Doesn’t it just distract you?

Distract?  In what way? smile

Popcorn is part of the moviegoing experience for me... I don't always get something to eat at the theater, but most of the time I do, and just factor it into the cost (though it is a little sad that the snack usually costs more than the movie!)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 07:46:41 PM »

Where I live, you can't get a ticket for less than $10.  Ok, maybe a little less for matinees, but they're still about $6-7.  It's nuts.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 08:03:34 PM »

Really?  Where I live, or rather 15 miles away at the closest theater you pay $4 for a matinee and $5.50 for regular.  We usually go to matinees to avoid the crowd.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 08:55:56 PM »

At the theater I go to currently it is $6 matinee and $8 evening.  Many places around here are around that price.

dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 09:07:08 PM »

Here, regular tickets are 7-9 with the matinee being around 6.  But if you go to the first daily showing of a movie (usually ~4:15 or so) the price is only $4.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 09:10:54 PM »

Quote from: "leo8877"
That's weird.  Why would they expect people to be more excited to pay $15 for a movie they've already seen, as opposed to $10 for one they haven't???

Thats easy.  Shrek 2 is the highest grossing comedy movie EVAR!

That and you can watch it over and over and over for your $15.

That and parents dont have to take the kids anywhere just sit um down and turn it on...insta babysitter!

morlac00 on PSN
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 09:21:23 PM »

Quote from: "Lordnine"
Why do people buy food when they go to the movies?  Doesn’t it just distract you?

Cuz they want to support the overpriced, ripoff prices movie theaters charge for food.

I refuse to buy food at the theaters - it's bad enough a matinee ticket is $6 now.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 09:23:18 PM »

unfortunattly food sales are how theatres make they're money.  They make next to nothing off the ticket sale.

morlac00 on PSN
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2004, 09:30:05 PM »

I see no reason to go to the theater anymore. I have a pretty good home theater setup myself, and my best friend has one in the $11,000 range. Personally I'd rather watch a movie at his place than in the theater. It's an awesome experience, and we don't have to worry about film breaking, being out of focus, low sound, the movie continuing when you have to go to the can or get snacks, etc.

I'd even rather watch the big releases (LOTR, etc) at his place, or at my own house.

Most theaters are run by 16 year old kids, and rarely do they get it right, such as the lighting, sound, and focus.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 02:36:05 AM »

I wished they banned food in theatres.  All I hear is people munching on food, or plastic wrappers crackling.
Darth Homer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 02:45:12 AM »

Back on the Shrek 2 DVD release on Friday.  As I understand it, it all goes back the ill feelings of Jeffery Katzenburg (sp?), the "K" in DreamWorks SKG, toward Walt Disney.

there was an article about it when Shrek came out.

DH...out

XBL Gamertag: Dirhael
PSN: Dirhael
Tony
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 03:26:18 AM »

I doubt it'll take much, if any, money away from the Incredibles.  One way to think of it is,  if Shrek 2 is out on DVD you can buy it anytime, but the Incredibles will be in theaters for a short time only.  Well, it may be in theaters for a while if all the early positive reviews are correct, but that's another way to look at it.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 08:55:53 AM »

I think it will hurt the Incredibles opening weekend because as a parent myself I'm much more excited about picking up Shrek 2 this weekend than trying to go see the Incredibles.

It's certainly not that i think the Incredibles looks bad at all, in fact, I can't wait to take my kids to go see it.

But it's opening frickin weekend!!! That means packed theatres, long lines, crowds, etc.  When you've got a family of four (one of which being a 3yr old) that does not sound appealing in the least.  You've either got to settle for getting crappy seats (after spending over $40) or get there extra early and deal with trying to keep the kids happy while they wait for the movie to start.  

But now I've got an alternative - I can simply pick up Shrek 2 on Friday and let the kids enjoy that for the next week or so and then go see the Incredibles after all the opening week craziness settles down.

Plus it's an unknown if the kids will like the Incredibles - My daughter loved all the pixar movies like toy story, bugs life, monsters, etc - so it seemed like a sure bet she would love finding nemo too. nuh uh. ended up having to leave 3/4 of the way through the movie because she got bored.

Shrek 2 is a proven product. I know she loves it.  ( i ended up having to take her to see Shrek 2 NINE times in the theatre).

While the Incredibles looks cool, I wonder how the little ones will respond to it since it seems to lack any cute animals and from the commercials I've seen the humor seems more dialogue driven.
Fishbelly
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2004, 12:16:15 AM »

Heck, I plan on taking my kids to the Incredibles and buying the Shrek 2 dvd!  Won't phase me a bit.   biggrin

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.

Woody Allen
draegun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2004, 04:28:04 PM »

It's a sin not to get the massive 200 oz soda at a movie.  Without it, you don't get the burning bladder, squeeze, squirm effect.  And then once the movie's over the ten minutes of urination in the head.

It's a tradition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: