http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 05:30:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we light the watchfires? (all Gone Golders)  (Read 2624 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2004, 03:32:49 AM »

I was thinking.... we have a lot of the GGer's gathered up here and the forums that the GG mods are throwing up.    I'm quite sure there are a BUNCH we're missing...

Should we light the watch fires for these other GGer's?    I think so.

I'm proposing that we all go to the other forms where we are registered, and let out the homing call.    Make a post that says:  GONE GOLD MEMBERS PLEASE READ, give a short description of the fact that the site is down for good, and tell refugees to come here and to the other forums.

I truly care about each person that made up that unique community to try and gather them up as best we can.   It was a unique place on the internet -- and I don't want sweep up the shattered pieces as much as we can.

Anyone with me?    Let's fan out across the gaming internet and let the word out.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 03:46:05 AM »

Aren't we all Star Wars geeks? The Force will guide them, bro smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 03:54:29 AM »

Oh my god. This is just getting pathetic. Email people you know if you want, but please don't go spamming other message boards. Is there a particular point to all this hand-wringing and all this melodramatic hyperbole? Spamming other message boards is not likely to win anyone any new friends, and I am sorry msduncan, you are never going to recreate what you think you lost, no matter how many former members you manage to corral to come to either of these boards. Whats done is done-and frankly, it strikes me as somewhat, um, unhealthy to have placed this much emotional investment in the message boards on the defunct Gone Gold. And yes, I was there from the beginning too, I get it-but how about some perspective?
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 04:34:01 AM »

Much rage in you Rage... :wink:

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 04:50:20 AM »

LOL! Honestly, not trying to be "ragey", or trying to be nasty, or a dick, or anything. I really, honestly, truly, do not understand what I see as a rather odd and unhealthy attachment to an internet message board, true.

But my main point was, honestly, to suggest that it was a terrible idea to spam message boards looking for former GG'ers. There most certainly was a more tactful way of saying that, but after my team got crushed on national TV, I wasn't feeling very generous at all.

And I might want to revisit my overly generous use of commas as well, although that can wait until later.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 05:06:27 AM »

If I see a 'anyone know what happened to GG?" post somewhere, I'll certainly post a reply letting them know what's up.

I won't actually start a thread for that purpose though. Honestly, I found my way here just by some quick, simple searching, no one told me.  I figure anyone else interested can do the same.  I feel a  little sorry for any GGer who can't find there way to some board where they can find out what happened. Imagine the eternal horror of wandering through the internet for the rest of your life not knowing what happened to GG, knowing the SOMEWHERE out there the rest of the GG community was awaiting your return so they could fill you in and give you much needed closure.

Yeah, I can feel the Nyquil kicking in now.  Colds suck.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 05:12:34 AM »

Well... it's late so I think I'll let these replies go by only saying the following:

You just helped me get over GG's death by reminding me what it was rapidly becoming.    Thanks.    :x
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 05:12:52 AM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
Yeah, I can feel the Nyquil kicking in now.  Colds suck.

You & me both, man. Mine's in it's 4th day. I had the always fun dripping nose, torturous 'almost-sneeze', coughing up phlem kinda day today. Good times.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 05:23:55 AM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
Well... it's late so I think I'll let these replies go by only saying the following:

You just helped me get over GG's death by reminding me what it was rapidly becoming.    Thanks.    :x

Well, since the forums I'm registered with all have GGer's in them already I don't think I'll be much help...(this one and Brutesquad.  I already saw Guildboss on one of those forums and he and I are the only GG members of another forum) ninja (just used the ninja smilie because it was there!)

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Arnold Yim
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 08:03:12 AM »

Don't worry msduncan, I agree with you.  Creating 1 thread in 1 forum does not a spam make.  And since I don't own a console, I didn't give console gold 1 thought.   I found it accidentally when someone mentioned it in the Avault forums, I think.  

So yeah, I think there are alot of people that don't know about this place.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 12:54:00 PM »

gameoverman
I see you live in Glendora. I grew up there from 1955-1962.Over by the hills on Mona Loa.I'm very nostalgic over that place. From the pictures I've seen of the place I wouldn't recognize it now.
Sorry for the sidetrack.Just like GG the world is a small place.

Ye Olde Farte
Dinkytoy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 02:57:22 PM »

Rage-

there's no call to trivialize friendships and communities that develop on the internet. They can be just as meaningful and viable as any other type of social grouping.

With the big advantage that they bring people together from all walks of life and locations around the world.

And there's no reason the community can't move to a different location, the only thing that's needed is the desire and will to put forth a little effort, like msduncan is suggesting.
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 03:20:42 PM »

I don't know...since I frequent this and the other forum I don't see many missing people. If anything is missing it's because you have certain high profile posters boycotting one forum and posting on the other.

The stupid name forum (brutesquad or octopi overlords or whatever) is missing the key outraged conservative element and this forum is missing the unamerican liberal component. So both seem a little off kilter...

You just helped me get over GG's death by reminding me what it was rapidly becoming. Thanks.

If you truly believe this then you may want to reevaluate how you treated your fellow GG'ers who don't think like you.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 04:06:04 PM »

Anyone who really wanted to find out what happened to GG and find CG can do so pretty easily.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
D.A.Lewis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2004, 04:10:34 PM »

MSDuncan I once got in a poltical debate with you and it just turned my stomach. (I am a proud liberal).  But you sometime thereafter posted in on of my gaming threads and then all was right with the world.

I think you're right on with the smoke signal thing. The only reason I'm here is becasue of a thread on RPGdot.com. For some reason it never occured to me to go to ConsoleGold. And I own a bunch of consoles.

So while Rage may have his opinion about "spaming other boards", I think your idea is a good one. Didn't we even talk about the demise of other boards at GG? I think so. Two come to mind:  Quarter to Three and Acts of Gord.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2004, 05:47:18 PM »

At this stage I think "Where did GG go?" threads have appeared on just about every major board you could expect to be trafficked by former regulars.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2004, 06:04:35 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
At this stage I think "Where did GG go?" threads have appeared on just about every major board you could expect to be trafficked by former regulars.

Me too.  I can't think of a forum I go to which doesn't have talk about GG and where people are going.  I have posted in a few of those.

The problem is that what you really are saying is "don't stay here, come over to us!"  I know it isn't what you mean but that is how it seems especially to people paying for those sites you are trying to get people to leave.    Another interpretation is "your community sucks, GGers go to X site to find a good community."   Now of course that isn't what you mean either but it is easy to see how people would think that.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2004, 07:02:52 PM »

I only visited GG, so I guess I've already done my part, or not...

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
UsulofDoom
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 01:51:14 PM »

LOL! Honestly, not trying to be "ragey", or trying to be nasty, or a dick, or anything. I really, honestly, truly, do not understand what I see as a rather odd and unhealthy attachment to an internet message board, true.

Odd and unhealthy? Hey GGers loosers your all nuts.  smile

One thing you may want to know is how many people joined since GGAD. By the way thats my trade mark "GGAD"  smile

This site went from 215 members to 822 in 10 days and still more join up. Not everyone who was at GoneGold new to come here.

May be we can get CNN or FOX to run a news story.
 biggrin
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2004, 02:16:02 PM »

Quote from: "RobbieD"

The stupid name forum (brutesquad or octopi overlords or whatever) is missing the key outraged conservative element and this forum is missing the unamerican liberal component. So both seem a little off kilter...

Yea msduncan, it's lonely over there without you.  Talk about a vicious pack of liberal dogs  :shock:

Go Gunners...
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2004, 02:26:05 PM »

Quote from: "UsulofDoom"

Odd and unhealthy? Hey GGers loosers your all nuts.  smile

One thing you may want to know is how many people joined since GGAD. By the way thats my trade mark "GGAD"  smile

This site went from 215 members to 822 in 10 days and still more join up. Not everyone who was at GoneGold new to come here.

May be we can get CNN or FOX to run a news story.
 biggrin

Probably not, but to me Blues News is the CNN of the PC gaming world.
RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2004, 02:38:36 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Quote from: "RobbieD"

Yea msduncan, it's lonely over there without you.  Talk about a vicious pack of liberal dogs  :shock:

That's his term for liberals..not mine.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2004, 07:59:23 PM »

Quote from: "dbt1949"
gameoverman
I see you live in Glendora. I grew up there from 1955-1962.Over by the hills on Mona Loa.I'm very nostalgic over that place. From the pictures I've seen of the place I wouldn't recognize it now.
Sorry for the sidetrack.Just like GG the world is a small place.

Yeah it's changed and will change much more soon. There's plans to turn the city into a major hub for the Metro rail(commuter trains) AND bus depot, this will happen in the coming years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: