http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 12:46:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the Vikings trade Randy Moss?  (Read 2282 times)
Graham
Managing Editor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 18, 2005, 05:06:51 AM »

Saw this tonight:

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3331874

I know that Randy Moss is a good player, but he takes away a lot of the focus of the team.  Part of me would be surprised if they traded him, but part of me wouldn't be.  Part of me hopes they do, but I may be biased since I'm a Packers fan.   :wink:

What do you guys think?

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 05:55:05 AM »

from my understanding, the vikings owner LOVES moss.  and ultimately, it's him who has to sign off on any trade.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 05:55:20 AM »

Raiders.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 06:16:33 AM »

I hail from Vikings country, been a fan since the day I was born.  I know a lot of people around this area have a problem with Moss on a personality level, but I personally don't know if any team in the NFL could come up with enough for us to trade Moss.  I still think he is the #2 most important player on the team (behind Culpepper) and the whole "mooning" thing was blown way out of porportion.  You as a Packers fan should know that Packers' fans love to moon the opponent's bus when it leaves Lambeau after a Packers' win.  Was it dumb of Moss to do?  Sure.  A lot of people may not have seen other Vikings games at the Inflatable Toilet (the Metrodome) where Moss would catch a pass and hand off the ball to one of the handicapped children/young adults that sit along the sideline.  Yes, he does stupid things publicly on many occassions, there's no denying that.

Chances are good that the team could have been totally different if Jim Kleinsasser (FB), Ken Irwin (CB) and Mike Rosenthal (T) had not been hurt after the 1st game, 1st game warmups and 2nd game respectively.  I think Kleinsasser was the key loss, he was our blocking back who could also go out and catch passes...effectively a Tight End (the position he played in college) playing the fullback position.  This is something Culpepper could have used in many games.  Their record may have been different, we just don't know.

The Vikings will probably wait for the free agency sweepstakes and go after linebackers and at least another defensive lineman.  They picked up Antoine Winfield and he played very well.  If Ken Irvin gets back we could have a good cornerback tandem...it's the linebacker corps that needs work.  As I was watching the Patriots yesterday throwing 2 linebackers and 9 DBs at the Colts toward the end of the game I said, "The Vikings could never do this, they just don't have the manpower or good enough linebackers."

I don't think they'll get rid of Moss, but they will probably be looking at his health during the off-season.  If they don't see him back up close to what he was, they may get rid of him.  The press around here loves to jump on the "hot item"...right now that would be Moss.  They were singing his praises last week outside of the "mooning"...now they jump down his throat because the Vikings lost.

And as a Packers fan shouldn't you be worried about Brett Favre possibly retiring?  I can only guess that if he retires that the Packers aren't going to do much of anything.  I don't hate the Packers, but obviously when they face the Vikings I have to root for my team.  I think Favre is one of the best QBs to ever play the game and it would be a dark day when he retires.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 06:29:45 AM »

Agree with AgtFox on this one - this will def be a health call and not a "personal" one.  If he stays up to speed physically (or they cant pick up a few REALLY decent lbs) they keep him.  Hes a player on the field and as far as the moonin stuff, you know what?  I find it kinda humorous.  Call me crass vulgar or whatever but you know, i dont mind when a player gets excited bout the game.  Is there such a thing as taste?  Ya know what - i think its hilarious, i laugh at it and step down off my ivory tower for a moment sparin anyone around me a description of how "disgusting" it was (man i wanted to hit that announcer).  And im sure when im a parent watchin the game with my children some day, ill be more disgusted explainin to a 5 year old why that 70 year old man needs a pill and what does "erectile dysfunction" mean.  The moonin - hell we'd probably just get a few juvenile giggles out of it together.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 06:30:25 AM »

Oh yes...one more thing.  It seems that no matter the coach, offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator the Vikings always seem to have the same types of plays.  We've gone through several defensive coordinators since Dungy and they all seem to employ the same "zone type" coverage for the CBs and safeties.  They rarely ever bump a receiver at the line, instead they give them plenty of cushion to catch a pass.  It's just maddening.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 08:05:05 AM »

I would get rid of him. I've been watching football for a long time and one thing I know is true- no one is bigger than the game, no one is irreplaceable.  The Vikings have given Moss his opportunity to prove how far he can go with a team, they aren't going any farther because Moss is on the team.

Someday they may go farther, but it won't be because they have/don't have Moss.  But then, I'm the type who would cut loose a player(no matter how good) for being an ass, I have no tolerance for that.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 12:55:39 PM »

Quote from: "slackerjoe"
Raiders.

God, I hope not.  Wouldn't surprise me though.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2005, 12:57:14 PM »

I'm the type who would cut loose a player(no matter how good) for being an ass, I have no tolerance for that

And you, my friend, would have a NFL team that would not win a single game.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2005, 04:02:08 PM »

Chances are good that the team could have been totally different if Jim Kleinsasser (FB), Ken Irwin (CB) and Mike Rosenthal (T) had not been hurt after the 1st game, 1st game warmups and 2nd game respectively. I think Kleinsasser was the key loss, he was our blocking back who could also go out and catch passes...effectively a Tight End (the position he played in college) playing the fullback position. This is something Culpepper could have used in many games. Their record may have been different, we just don't know.

Injuries aren't an excuse in the NFL.  Every team suffers injuries, most of them significant.  Pittsburgh and NE suffered through injuries this year, and have done fine.

The first thing that needs to change in Minny is to find a new owner.  One that doesn't baby his star players, and let them get away with anything they want.  An owner that lets his GM and coach run the team, and backs up his coach and lets the coach have full authority.  Moss can do whatever he wants because the Vikings owner supports it, and gives no real authority to Tice.

The second thing that needs to be done is to fire Tice and the decision makers.  The Vikings need a defense.  The Vikings need to be organized and not make idiot mistakes like that fake field goal attempt.  Do the Patriots screw up plays like that?  Or the Colts, Steelers, or the other well coached teams?  The Vikings are about as well coached as the St. Louis Rams, with the exception that Martz actually seems to have some control over his players.

And finally, consider a trade for Moss.  Moss is just a distraction for Culpepper.  If a trade for Moss can bring about a new defensive star, then great.  I don't know if Moss will ever work out in Minny, to much bad history there.  

The Vikings simply aren't going anywhere now, not with that owner or coaching staff.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 04:11:32 PM »

As I was watching the Patriots yesterday throwing 2 linebackers and 9 DBs at the Colts toward the end of the game I said, "The Vikings could never do this, they just don't have the manpower or good enough linebackers."

NE signed a bunch of those players midseason, or even this past week.  Randall Gay, Moreland, etc. weren't drafted.  Minny needs to make better personel decisions, and get much better coaching.

NE has brilliant coaching, and has some coaches on the field, like Bruschi and Harrison.  Bruschi and Harrison help orchastrate that defense, and make sure all the younger players are in the right spots.  More teams, especially Minny, need to find smarter players that are good people and play with heart, as opposed to the talented guys that couldn't care (Moss).

---
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 05:58:30 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
I would get rid of him. I've been watching football for a long time and one thing I know is true- no one is bigger than the game, no one is irreplaceable.  The Vikings have given Moss his opportunity to prove how far he can go with a team, they aren't going any farther because Moss is on the team.

I don't think this fits with what we've seen out of Moss this year.  He's done a much better job of playins as part of a team.  He's blocking better, he's more willing to run decoy routes, he's more supportive of his teammates.  Vikings fans love to dump on Moss and Culpepper for some reason, but I think they both did well this season.

I think him being hurt for a while probably was good for the team in the long term, since it did cause some of the other receivers to step up, but I don't see how getting rid of Moss would help more.  

The Vikings don't have any salary cap problems - they can pick up additional players without having to worry about ditching expensive ones.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 01:30:42 PM »

I hear rumors about Moss being traded to the Ravens for some of their defensive studs.  I think that'd be a win win situation for both clubs.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 05:12:27 PM »

I don't think the Vikings should trade Moss just to be rid of him.  His antics aside, he's still one of the best receivers in the league, so he's worth the trouble, I think.  It might be worth looking around to see if the Vikings could get a big defensive upgrade, but unless a good deal is found I'd hold on to him.
Semaj

View Profile
heh
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 06:07:57 PM »

Honestly... The vikings were a defensive co-ordinator from winning a ton more than they did.  If in the offseason they draft/sign a better defensive corps, they will be good next season.   If they dont, it's going to be ugly.

They might also want to look into trading a back or two that has a mildly high value.  Right now they are running three and they dont need thta many.  I'd try to shore up the defence some.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 08:05:49 PM »

The vikings actually have four decent running backs: Michael Bennet, Moe Williams, Ontarrio Smith and Mewelde Moore.  They don't need that many, unless Bennet breaks his leg tripping over Smith's bong.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 12:55:01 AM »

I'm under the impression that there must be a lot on the table for Moss to be moved.  And by that I mean to the point of ridiculous.  I am not sure what teams would necessarily do that.  The rumor is that the Ravens are interested and that is one situation that might work since they must choose between I think McCallister, Jamal Lewis, Peter Boulware, and Ray Lewis due to money issues (obviously Ray is staying).  But that could be quite an offer in light of Moss getting back with Billick too.

If that was to happen though, Moss would hate life for at least 2 years since Boller is still not up to speed on being a true NFL quarterback.

I would say, Viks, just keep him.  He is the best receiver in football, he has been acting better (except for the last 2 games of the season).  So, keep working him, he is too expenisve to deal.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 07:00:18 PM »

They might also want to look into trading a back or two that has a mildly high value. Right now they are running three and they dont need thta many.

Yeah, but which one?  And what Minny get for any of them?  Bennett has healh issues.  Smith is pretty good, but has substance abuse issues.  The other, Moore, is still pretty new to the league.  I just don't know how much the Vikings would get for any of them, though I think they are cheap salary wise.

---
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2005, 07:03:42 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
They might also want to look into trading a back or two that has a mildly high value. Right now they are running three and they dont need thta many.

Yeah, but which one?  And what Minny get for any of them?  Bennett has healh issues.  Smith is pretty good, but has substance abuse issues.  The other, Moore, is still pretty new to the league.  I just don't know how much the Vikings would get for any of them, though I think they are cheap salary wise.

They need to settleon 2 and then try to pick up a few defensive players....  I'm not saying they will get a truckload oftalent for them,.. but they could easily fill in some of the DB (nickel and diime packages especially) holes and have a much stronger pass defence.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
slackerjoe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2005, 10:49:15 PM »

Damn, I nailed that one.

PS3 screen name: slacker_joe
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2005, 10:53:32 PM »

It's the Raiders

Just Hiro will do.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2005, 02:00:44 AM »

Raiders got a steal.  They still won't go anywhere.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2005, 06:10:04 AM »

Yeah, I'm not sure I like this.  However, I will say it's a good move if the scuttlebutt is true that Culpepper was fed up with him.  Culpepper is far more important to the team than Moss is.  I'm going to guess the Vikings are hoping a good wide receiver will be available at the 7th pick and probably pick defensively for their own pick.

I don't know how excited I am with getting another linebacker, who may or may not be good.  We obviously need help in that section of the defense, probably the most help we need.

Oh well, we'll see how this pans out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: