http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 09:57:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I buy my own cable modem or use the cable company's?  (Read 888 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2007, 03:58:07 PM »

I'm going to be jettisoning DSL in favor of cable broadband.  When I called they said that I could use my own cable modem if I had one or I could buy their modem for $40.  I'm not sure what to do.

Is there any advantage (price, features) to buying my own or should I just go with their modem?  If I'm better off getting my own then I'd need some recommendations.  I don't know a thing about cable modems.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 04:19:41 PM »

Shouldn't this be in Hardware Hell?  Tongue

I've always gone with the one the cable company gives me when they install the cable.  I don't think I've ever had to buy the modem itself, it's always been included in the monthly charges.  Hmm... maybe I should check to see what the monthly charge is to find out if I'd save anything and if that's an option.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 04:35:27 PM »

Same, always used the one the company gave me. Never had any problems with any of the ones I have used. Current one is 3 years old and working fine.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »

I went the other route and bought my own when I got my cable internet hooked up my cable company was charging $70 for there modem so I bought my own for $50 instead.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »

As long as you don't have to pay a monthly 'lease' for it, or it costs far more than what you can buy in a store, I'd go with theirs.

The nice part is that if their modem goes bad, odds are they'll replace it for free.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 05:05:10 PM »

I use the company's modem. Id been paying a fee for 2 years and decided I just wanted to buy it instead. So I told them that and they simply put my next 6 months fee into buying the modem instead. So now I own it and did'nt have to pay extra.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 05:28:15 PM »

pretty much any cable company will charge you around $3-5/month to rent a cable modem from them...not a terrible expense, but you will have paid enough to buy one within your first year of service.  on the other hand, check for cable modem offers at BestBuy, CircuitCity, or other retailers.  they're almost always running deals where you get a cable modem free if you sign up for service with your local provider in-store.  there's really no downside to doing it that way and you'll get a free modem...beats paying for one out of pocket, or renting one that you'll have to give back when you end your service.  in fact, the deal that i got from CircuitCity netted me a free cable modem (after mail-in rebate), as well as a $25 gift card.  i went to CC at around 6pm, bought the modem and signed up for service in their store, hooked everything up that night and my service was active the next morning.  if you sign up earlier in the day, they can have you up and running later in the afternoon.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 05:46:22 PM »

Quote from: disarm on June 02, 2007, 05:28:15 PM

pretty much any cable company will charge you around $3-5/month to rent a cable modem from them...not a terrible expense, but you will have paid enough to buy one within your first year of service.  on the other hand, check for cable modem offers at BestBuy, CircuitCity, or other retailers.  they're almost always running deals where you get a cable modem free if you sign up for service with your local provider in-store.  there's really no downside to doing it that way and you'll get a free modem...beats paying for one out of pocket, or renting one that you'll have to give back when you end your service.  in fact, the deal that i got from CircuitCity netted me a free cable modem (after mail-in rebate), as well as a $25 gift card.  i went to CC at around 6pm, bought the modem and signed up for service in their store, hooked everything up that night and my service was active the next morning.  if you sign up earlier in the day, they can have you up and running later in the afternoon.

Yeah I am going to try to swing this type of deal when I move-except I am very very seriously thinking DirectTV so it might be different. I know they frequently have deals offering significant cash of TVs and things like that with DTV signups so I am going to keep an eye out.
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 09:04:46 PM »

Back when I first started subscribing to broadband, they charged quite a bit for using their equipment (it was at least $10 extra per month), so by buying your own modem for around $100, you could save quite a bit of money after a while. 

Now it's a few dollars per month, and while modems are cheaper now, it's probably better to go with their equipment because if the modem breaks, you tell them to give you another one.  The front-loaded/back-loaded equation of the costs is (IMO) now in favor of going with renting the equipment.  Sure, you could get one of those replacement programs from BB or something, but that's more expense on your end, and more hassle.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 06:04:40 PM »

When I bought mine, it came as a package deal, wires, random stuff and a bonus for signing up with adelphia.  Cost me about 50-70 bucks for the cable modem.  They charge about 5 bucks a month rental, and I've used it for 3 years, so I have no complaints.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
KC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 11:00:22 PM »

I purchased the Linksys cable modem for $60 a few years ago because Comcast was charging $5/month to rent the same modem.  It paid for itself in 12 months.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 03:42:25 AM »

I would use theirs.  If you buy one and something goes wrong with the cable, they're going to blame it on your modem and charge you for the service call.  Don't trust the man.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: