http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 07:56:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shooting at LAX  (Read 464 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2013, 05:42:29 PM »

CNN   Suspect in custody and no word on injured

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 05:55:15 PM »

I have 3 co-workers supposed to be flying in this morning, haven't heard from them  icon_neutral  I think they wanted me to pick them up but perhaps it's better for me to be "unavailable for pickup."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:00:56 PM »

Well the good news appears that security did what it was supposed to. Guy drew a gun before the security checkpoint and shot the TSA agent and a bystander, and the officer on duty shot the guy down before he could cause more harm.

The TSA agent died, sadly.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 04:39:42 PM »

Wash. Post graphic of the airport and order of events. I'm sure the TSA officer's family/friends/colleagues wouldn't see any silver lining, but if the jerk hadn't been so specific on who he was attacking (TSA specifically), it might've been a historically awful slaughter considering how far into the terminal he eventually went.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/gunman-targets-tsa-staff-at-lax/2013/11/01/161a2b54-435a-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_graphic.html

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 03, 2013, 04:39:42 PM

Wash. Post graphic of the airport and order of events. I'm sure the TSA officer's family/friends/colleagues wouldn't see any silver lining, but if the jerk hadn't been so specific on who he was attacking (TSA specifically), it might've been a historically awful slaughter considering how far into the terminal he eventually went.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/gunman-targets-tsa-staff-at-lax/2013/11/01/161a2b54-435a-11e3-8b74-d89d714ca4dd_graphic.html

Not a good advertisement for BK. Obviously  another horrible crime that makes not sense. Ug. puke
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 02:37:39 PM »

Another life lost to a nut job with a gun. I did not know this but apparently this is the first TSA agent to lose his life in the line of duty. The guy walked into an airport with a semi-auto rifle and 100's of rounds of ammo.  Its amazing that this wasnt worse.  Yeah, no kind of gun control needed here in the good ol' Wild West USA. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »

He don't have a fully automatic weapon, did he? He had no history of mental illness.

His family reported his text messages to their local police, who called LAPD. They showed up at his place 45 minutes after he left for the airport.

So instead of throwing the whole firearm community under the bus, tell me what actions you think we should have had to prevent this?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »

Headed to LAX today.  I am sure all will be on high alert.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 04, 2013, 02:50:38 PM

He don't have a fully automatic weapon, did he? He had no history of mental illness.

His family reported his text messages to their local police, who called LAPD. They showed up at his place 45 minutes after he left for the airport.

So instead of throwing the whole firearm community under the bus, tell me what actions you think we should have had to prevent this?

As for preventing what happened, even if you pressed the magic button that made all guns vanish from the universe I don't think you could stop a determined individual from killing one person and injuring 4 others.

As for what could have happened, that part does freak me out.  Apparently he went from person to person through the terminal asking if they were TSA?  That's just about recreating the airport scene from Call of Duty.  I can't believe he made it all the way to the end of the terminal before meeting an armed response.  Airport security is such a farce.

So as for preventing what he could have done after getting past security with a gun?  We're right back to the same argument loops we went through after Sandy Hook.  Ban AR-15s (and magically make stealing an AR-15 impossible)?  He would have been just as dangerous with a hunting rifle.  Ban those?  He would have been just as dangerous with a handgun.  Ban those?  He would have been just as dangerous with a shotgun.  Ban everything and also magically make all existing guns disappear?  Maybe?  Would we be better off if psychos like this went back to making homemade bombs?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »

he don't?  someone get Isgrimnur his coffee Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »

Asking for some form of gun control is not "throwing the whole firearm community under the bus"  If you want facts though how about this?  More people have died through domestic gunfire then all of the lives lost in all of the wars in US history.  That is not just an arbitrary fact.  The truth is I dont know if any kind of gun control would have stopped this situation. But unless you feel its fine that since 1968 we have lost almost 1.4 million people to domestic gunfire.  If you want to point to one incident and ask your question, youre missing the far bigger picture.  What happened at LAX is just a symptom of a far bigger problem and while its easy to say that some kind of gun control may not have helped, its also possible that stricter checks may have.  Heres the link to the gun death article.  http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/01/20/more-americans-have-died-from-domestic-gunfire-than-all-wars-in-u-s-history-is-that-true/

I am not saying that this particular incident could have been stopped by stricter gun regulations, I am saying that this as well as others in that total of 1,384,171 may have been.  Thats not throwing the gun community under the bus,  Im not asking for the government to start kicking down doors and taking people guns away.  Im saying that theres clearly a problem with gun deaths in the US and ignoring the fact will not solve the problem.  If its possible that we can do something to stop these senseless deaths are we not obligated to do so?  After all, the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness seems far more important than the right to bear arms, that may be why they were listed as unalienable rights.  Facts are facts and we have a gun problem in the US.  This is just another case of a possible avoidable death.  This individual case is not the issue.  It just helps expose the problem once again.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »

You might as well say that since the shooter was found to have high cholesterol, this incident helps expose the problem once again and we really need to step up our regulations on fast food.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »

rshetts, I'm well aware of the problems. I've been an active participant in the OO threads. As the big killers in gun violence are pimarily handguns by a 5 to 1 factor over rifles of all types for the previous decade.

And your first post wasn't a reasoned post that lent itself to intelligent investigation and discussion of the topic. And therefore, i treated it the way I saw it.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 06:45:54 PM »

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/compareyears/194/rate_of_gun_homicide

Yet the rate of gun homicides per 100K people is as low as it has been for sometime.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »

Welp, this is headed for R&P smile

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 04, 2013, 05:27:28 PM

rshetts, I'm well aware of the problems. I've been an active participant in the OO threads. As the big killers in gun violence are pimarily handguns by a 5 to 1 factor over rifles of all types for the previous decade.

And your first post wasn't a reasoned post that lent itself to intelligent investigation and discussion of the topic. And therefore, i treated it the way I saw it.

It wasnt meant to be, it was a reaction to a horrific situation that resulted in an opinion.  Thanks for the backhanded insult, it shows such great class.   

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 10:53:53 PM »

I apologize that I offended your first post.

Rip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 11:07:14 PM »

If you want to throw your opinion out there don't be surprised when there are people who think your opinion stinks, and when that opinion is on a controversial issue to think it won't illicit a response is ludicrus.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 12:53:15 AM »

Quote from: Rip on November 04, 2013, 11:07:14 PM

If you want to throw your opinion out there don't be surprised when there are people who think your opinion stinks, and when that opinion is on a controversial issue to think it won't illicit a response is ludicrus.

No problems with responses, even ones that differ from mine, insults on the other hand are unnecessary. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 12:55:52 AM »

There was no insult. If I wanted to insult you, I'm perfectly capable of doing it overtly.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: