http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 09:19:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serial Murder in Ciudad Juarez  (Read 734 times)
Eduardo X
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »

I met somebody at work who is from Chihuahua, and I told her that my aunt just moved to Ciudad Juarez, which I wasn't happy about. She told me to "get her out of there," and the next day I found Daughter of Juarez on my desk. It's about the over 400 murders of women in Juarez since 1993 and the extreme poor handling of the situation by the police and government there. The government and police are the true perps in my eyes, torturing scapegoats into confessions rather than actually trying to stop the murders. It's a shocking, brutal story, and I couldn't put it down.
And yes, it makes me want my aunt, even more so, to leave Juarez.

The issue I had with this book is that it is really poorly written. The journalism behind it seems top notch, but the author repeats herself, leaves open threads, and uses the word "pretty" more than is necessary. I wonder if anyone else has read this book or one like it about the murders in Juarez?

PSN ID: EduardoX
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:33:35 PM »

With the corruption and the drug border wars I wouldn't want anybody I care about living anywhere near the border towns.

Ye Olde Farte
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »

It's a truly horrible (and ongoing story).  I saw this article in the Washington Post last year.  400 murders in 15 years.  Just sickening.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »

I was stationed down in El Paso years ago for work for about a year and I heard all sorts of horror stories about Juarez.  If I recall correctly, there was another murderer who concentrated on prostitutes that was eventually caught on a train around that time.

Juarez itself is just scary.  Although Tijuana isn't exactly a walk in the park, either.  Border towns, as someone mentioned, are just bad news, unfortunately.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:24:32 PM »

Yes, I've heard the horror stories about Juarez. These bordertowns are just near lawless. Your aunt should move out of there pronto. Better to be broke and be in a safer city.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 02:28:55 PM »

I saw a feature on it one of those Dateline-type shows a couple years ago. It is really chilling.
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 03:02:45 AM »

And to think back in the mid to late 60s I used to walk all over Juarez and Tijuana any time I wanted ( I lived in southern California and was stationed at El Paso for awhile) with no fear. It's hard for me to believe they've turned into what they have now.

Ye Olde Farte
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 03:06:19 AM »

If my aunt listened to reason, she would be in a much better situation than she is in now, unfortunately. She moved from Colombia to Miami to Colorado, with the last being the only sane part. Juarez just makes no sense.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: