http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 04:00:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serenity - Movie  (Read 2009 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2006, 04:10:40 PM »

Well, I watched this movie again over the weekend and made a decision that I really liked it.

If that is the case, is it safe to assume I would like the tv shows based on the same deal?  The show was called Firefly, right?  I'm thinking of buying the dvd set, so I need some opinions.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 04:18:12 PM »

Seriously there should be some sort of punishment for not owning the DVDs already.
Think of the movie as just an expanded version of the show, which is what it was. So yes, buy the set.

Side Note: You didn't happen to be playing CoH yesterday did you? Teamed up with a Lockdown and some other players that took down Adamastor.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 04:29:05 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  

And nope, I haven't played CoH in a long time, but I did have a character named Lockdown who was a controller when I did play.  That was fun.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 05:04:56 PM »

I'm often leery of telling someone that they should definitely buy something, but Firefly is an incredibly easy recommendation for just about anyone.  If you liked the movie, I truly believe you're going to fall in love with the series.

Just be sure to watch the episodes in the order they appear on the discs, and don't forget that they're a prequel to things you saw in the movie.

-Autistic Angel
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 06:27:06 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
I'm often leery of telling someone that they should definitely buy something, but Firefly is an incredibly easy recommendation for just about anyone.  If you liked the movie, I truly believe you're going to fall in love with the series.

+1.  I picked up Serenity on a whim, bought the DVD set the next day, and have watched every episode multiple times.  I'm not big on TV in general (Sci-fi on TV even less), but I was blown away by Firefly.  I can very easily say that it is - well, was - my favorite show ever broadcast on TV.

Of course, you will need to get ready to be horribly depressed after watching 'Objects in Space' and realizing that we will most likely never see anything new Firefly-related ever again.  frown

EDIT:  Serenity is basically a wrap-up for the series, since it never truly got a finale.  There are some small inconsistencies between the two (see spoiler below), but overall it ties together very well.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Some of Mal's interaction with Simon in the movie seemed way out of character, and didn't fit with what happened in the show.  Since when was Simon not considered part of the crew, as Mal tells him at the beginning of the movie?  Just picking nits, I know, but it sort of bugged me.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 06:44:28 PM »

Well, that is 3 pretty positive posts regarding my idea of a purchase.  I was thinking that unless someone came in and totally trashed the tv episodes, I would probably pull the trigger on this.  Now, it almost seems like a no-brainer.

Thanks for the help.  Anyone know off hand how many episodes I will be purchasing in all?  I hope a fair amount.  I wonder why it got cancelled?

LD

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 06:54:32 PM »

14 Episodes in all.  And, yes, if you liked the movie you are almost guaranteed to love the series.  

As to why it was cancelled, it's a long story.  The easy answer is the same reason most series are cancelled- ratings were in the toilet.  However, Fox didn't help themselves by skipping the two hour pilot (which setup most of the world and the characters), airing episodes out of order, scheduling it on Friday's, etc.  Plus, the show does take a little while for some to groove to- many people are slow to warm to it but are in love by somewhere around Episode 5; so in that sense, DVD is an optimal medium for it.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 07:16:07 PM »

Such a great show.  Go today and buy the DVDs.  You will love it!

I still have a burning anger at FOX for not only cancelling it, but for the crappy way they handled it.  Why on earth would you not show the first epidose first?  I can't help but think if the episodes would have been shown in order, Firefly would still be on the air today.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 07:26:07 PM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"

Just be sure to watch the episodes in the order they appear on the discs, and don't forget that they're a prequel to things you saw in the movie.

-Autistic Angel

Agreed.  Go buy now.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 07:30:32 PM »

just buy the set...fantastic show that you'll definitely love if you enjoyed the movie.  i have yet to come across someone that i've recommended Firefly to who hasn't enjoyed every episode.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Itsatrap
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 08:52:01 PM »

If you liked Serenity then you'll enjoy Firefly.  If you didn't, then you probably won't.  'nuff said

- Alan
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 09:19:59 PM »

Quote from: "Itsatrap"
If you liked Serenity then you'll enjoy Firefly.  If you didn't, then you probably won't.  'nuff said

- Alan

/exception to the rule

Firefly took me a little bit to get in to but about half way in it really started clicking and I liked everything else.

Serenity sucks, period.

So yeah, I'm the odd man out on the interweb.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 10:15:06 PM »

I picked up Firefly solely because of this forum, and I think it's a very, very good show that should have been on a different network. Imagine how it could/would have done if it had been on Sci-Fi. Imagine a Battlestar/Firefly two hour block of space awesomeness.

Anyway, it's a great show to pick up on DVD, and personally I think it's better than the movie, but that's only because the characters and story are better served through the longer, less compressed story telling that television has to offer.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 11:44:51 PM »

The series is better than the movie which was, IMO, disappointing after having watched the series on DVD.

olaf
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 12:26:37 AM »

Well to be honest, they had to deal with a lot of issues for the movie, namely distilling what would be 1-2 seasons worth of character and plot into one movie.

I'm still hoping that Universal (the owners of the scifi channel) smartens up and puts some money towards turning Serenity into a new series on their network.  They already have a pilot, just air the movie.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 01:19:50 AM »

Overwhelming positive responses.  Thanks everyone.

And just so you know...  I bought the DVD collection after work today, watched the 2 hour pilot and the next 2 shows.

I seriously love the series already.  You were all right on the money.  

In my opinion, it certainly deserves the praise it is getting in this thread.

I can honestly say (so far), that I like every single character on the show.  THAT is rare for me.

Very happy I asked, and very, very happy I bought it.

biggrin

LD

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 01:42:57 AM »

There is one thing really crappy about the series though...

Spoiler for Hiden:
... it ends /cry

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 01:53:13 AM »

I saw the movie before watching the series as well. Go out and buy it. You'll love it if you enjoyed the movie at all. Warning, you will be depressed that its the end of a series that had so much potential.  :cry:
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 01:54:16 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "Itsatrap"

- Alan

/exception to the rule

Firefly took me a little bit to get in to but about half way in it really started clicking and I liked everything else.

Serenity sucks, period.

So yeah, I'm the odd man out on the interweb.

No, read it again.  "If you liked Serenity then you'll enjoy Firefly."  Not, "if you liked Firefly you'll enjoy Serenity."

Personally, I too was disappointed in Serenity.  Being one of the original champions of Firefly when it aired on FOX, there were some major points that let me down.  Namely, a distinct regression of characters and relationships from where we left them on the show, and humor that was so prevalent in the show being reduced to cameo appearances.  I cautiously recommend Serenity to fans of the show.

However, for those that saw the film first and enjoyed it, I can't imagine being disappointed in the show.  Not those with a sense of humor at any rate.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 05:07:40 PM »

If they were a fan of Firefly, I doubt they'd need any encouragement to see the movie, regardless of its quality.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 11:47:05 AM »

3 more episodes last night.  Finished with Janestown.   biggrin

I am almost baffled beyond belief that this show was cancelled and didn't have a huge following.

I can't really imagine tv getting much better than this.  I end every episode with this cheesy smile on my face, thinking how much I loved what I just watched.

I really can't believe how excellent I think this show is so far.

LD

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 11:57:05 AM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
3 more episodes last night.  Finished with Janestown.   biggrin

I am almost baffled beyond belief that this show was cancelled and didn't have a huge following.

I can't really imagine tv getting much better than this.  I end every episode with this cheesy smile on my face, thinking how much I loved what I just watched.

I really can't believe how excellent I think this show is so far.

You and me both brother.  I have NO idea why they felt the need to can this.  Just completely retarded.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 01:11:17 PM »

Mrs. Reynolds was a great character.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 02:23:26 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Mrs. Reynolds was a great character.

One of my favorite lines:  'Face it hubby, I'm really hot!'

Yes.  Yes, she was.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 12:08:43 AM »

I love Firefly.

Shiny.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 12:11:12 AM »

I love this show!!!

3 more episodes tonight.

"...also... I could kill you with my brain."

biggrin  biggrin  biggrin  biggrin  biggrin

LD

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2006, 02:48:23 PM »

...and so it ends.   biggrin  -->   smile   -->   :?   -->   :cry:

I have watched all 14 episodes, and I finished with watching the movie again, to give me some closure.

I am reasonably upset that there will be no more of this show.

I did, for the record, enjoy the series more than the movie.  Quite a bit more actually.  The movie, understandably, seemed to move at 100mph compared to the more kick-backness of the tv shows.  

It is over now, and I am sad.  Fantastic television series that should not have been cancelled... EVER.

LD

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2006, 05:05:24 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
The movie, understandably, seemed to move at 100mph compared to the more kick-backness of the tv shows.

Exactly. And what I think is even worse is that Joss would have had all sorts of details, little bits and big bits of information, to add depth to the overall story arc that the show was going to take - seasons worth of stories! - that had to be abandonned and compressed so that the necessary conclusion could be reached by the end of the movie.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2006, 05:14:27 PM »

Forgive me for asking what I'm sure has already been answered someplace here:
Which should I watch first:  Serenity or Firefly?

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2006, 05:47:21 PM »

Firefly.

-Autistic Angel
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2006, 08:03:52 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
I've seen both and I don't really think it matters that much. I watched Serenity first. I suppose it'd help you get familiar with the characters if you watched Firefly first.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2006, 03:50:44 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Mrs. Reynolds was an insanely hot character.

Fixed that for ya, moderator-man.  :wink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Slipblade
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 04:34:35 AM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
I've seen both and I don't really think it matters that much. I watched Serenity first. I suppose it'd help you get familiar with the characters if you watched Firefly first.

First the show is great and if you dont own the series and movie...then run dont walk (or drive) to the store now and get it.

Secondly I personally would watch the shows then movie.  Watching the shows will get you ready for the movie and why some things have happend. It would be so easy to go into detail..but nope you must buy the movie Tongue
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 05:00:49 AM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"

I think getting to know the characters from the series leads to more enjoyment of the movie. For example...

Spoiler for Hiden:
had you not seen the series, you would not know who Book is and why they want to see him. The impact of Wash's death is also heightened if you've grown to know him over the series.

There's only so much character development they could show in 2 hours. Watch Firefly first (incidentally, the pilot episode is also called Serenity).
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 06:10:54 AM »

Firefly is only one out of two (the other being the new Battlestar Galactica) TV series that I've watched in it's entirely.
Of course Firefly only made one season (shame) but it's definitely (IMO) worth a purchase.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: