http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:07:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sell me on another browser than IE  (Read 7882 times)
Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2004, 11:46:59 PM »

Quote from: "Biyobi"
Opera won my heart.  Absolutely outstanding browser and my only beef is the whole Gmail deal, but I blame Google for that.

Opera now supports Gmail with version 7.6, so you'll have to find a new beef smile

You can download the 7.6 preview version here: http://snapshot.opera.com/windows/o760tp1v_7141.exe

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
Zaxxon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2004, 02:29:20 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Alright, I DL'd and installed Mozilla, which is what I'm using to type this, and after installing about 15 different extensions I'm still playing with it. Clean interface, and now that I'm tab browsing it's kinda fun. smile

Yes; relieving yourself of (or on) IE is often described as fun.  I respectfully insist that you give Opera a try, as well, however.  All the joy of Firefox, plus a whole ton more.  Regardless of which browser you choose, rest easy knowing you've made a marked improvement.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2004, 02:32:08 PM »

I'll give Opera a whirl probably this weekend. The wife is going to be out for the most part on Saturday, and jacking with my computer is always a good thing to do on a Saturday morning, because if I blow it up then I've got all day Sunday to fix it. biggrin

That being said, the mouse gesturing thing is really screwing with me. I keep trying to do it here at work in IE and it's not working. Damn Firefox for giving me something fun to play with!!! slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
noxiousdog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2004, 02:34:33 PM »

Hey, Zaxxon, you have your intro to Opera laying around anywhere?

In the meantime, you're welcome to discuss R&P here.
OOTP Commish: HCL
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2004, 02:35:09 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
That being said, the mouse gesturing thing is really screwing with me. I keep trying to do it here at work in IE and it's not working. Damn Firefox for giving me something fun to play with!!! slywink

This is a well-known syndrome.  It will continue to extend itself to Windows Explorer and any other app where gesturing would make sense.
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2004, 11:16:01 AM »

Maybe I'll try Opera again..  :idea:

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2004, 12:09:11 PM »

Quote from: "noxiousdog"
Hey, Zaxxon, you have your intro to Opera laying around anywhere?

Unfortunately I don't.  I recommend this site as a great start.
Lorini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2004, 12:48:04 PM »

What I love about Opera is that when you start it up, you can have the exact same browsing session you had when you previously quit!  I could not find a Firefox extension that did that.  Firefox lets you have many home pages, but Opera's implementation of this is better.  Also, Opera is a full featured browser "out of the box" while you have to install third party extensions for Firefox, and they may or may not work with other extensions.

I used it for a year before I paid for it, but I only use IE for those few incompatible pages now.

Lorini

Now Playing:

PC: SupCom 2, DoW CR, Spectromancer
Xbox Live: Panzer General, DJ Hero, Forza 3
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2004, 01:18:00 PM »

Opera's favorites list seemed more cumbersome than IE. With IE, I can select a link, right click, and make changes. You can't do that in Opera without opening up a new menu first.
Ypmur
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2004, 03:27:05 AM »

You can with Firefox slywink

Oh, and challenge someone competent enough to come up with a CG theme.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2004, 07:12:53 PM »

Bar none, the best web browser on the planet is OmniWeb. Preset workspaces alone are worth the price of the software... but probably not the price of the Mac required to run it.

So go with Firefox. It's fast, pretty and extensible. I've switched my entire 30-Mac, 5-PC company over to it, and everyone is happy. Except my boss. He's never happy. Which is good, because he's a mean old man.

KurtsGirl
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2004, 02:35:18 PM »

Mozilla all the way! (I tried FF, but I just didn't like the feel of it - too crude for my tastes.  I need the polish of Moz.)  I've been using Mozilla since January, and can't believe I ever used IE.  No pop-ups, much better auto-fill, and TABBED BROWSING!!!!  (That's what sold me on Mozilla in the first place. biggrin)

Nerdin 'round the net!
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2004, 02:42:52 PM »

FireFox is the bomb.  I've always been an IE guy.  But FF is just incredible.

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2004, 02:55:02 PM »

Quote from: "Lorini"
What I love about Opera is that when you start it up, you can have the exact same browsing session you had when you previously quit!  I could not find a Firefox extension that did that.  Firefox lets you have many home pages, but Opera's implementation of this is better.  Also, Opera is a full featured browser "out of the box" while you have to install third party extensions for Firefox, and they may or may not work with other extensions.

I used it for a year before I paid for it, but I only use IE for those few incompatible pages now.

Lorini

Tabbrowser-Extensions.  Go to Startup, and click 'Restore Last Tab Session'.  Voila.

deckard
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2004, 01:30:18 AM »

quick question regarding Opera.  anyone know its equivalent to IE/Firefox's alt+d command.  i try to use the keyboard as much as possible while browsing, and it bugs me that opera doesn't mimic the other browsers.
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2004, 04:12:53 AM »

Firefox user here. I use it at home, use it at work. Whenever I have to use IE it makes me feel...dirty.

I tried Opera (version 2.1 something or the other) and didn't really like it. It's been about seven or eight years, maybe I should look into what they have going on now. But man, Firefox is doing a good job of taking care of me smile
deckard
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2004, 04:18:30 AM »

one more questions for the opera crowd:

Is there any way to make the ctrl+w command fall to the next tab, instead of the previous?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: