http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 08:48:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sell me on another browser than IE  (Read 7247 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2004, 01:06:20 AM »

I'm in the mood for something a little different than IE for some reason, and wanted to run this up the flag pole. Thoughts? smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
DPW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 01:08:20 AM »

I've found using Mozilla Firefox is a lot like IE only better.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 01:09:54 AM »

I use http://www.avantbrowser.com. It blocks pop ups and works a lot like IE but better!

It's free, so give it a whirl!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 01:10:25 AM »

Lets queue Tim in 3..2..1...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
RookieCAF
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 01:10:34 AM »

Mozilla Firefox is the Bomb!

~Rookie
Attitude Determines Altitude
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 01:12:27 AM »

Yet another Firefox user here.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 01:33:22 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Lets queue Tim in 3..2..1...

Sorry, I was in the middle of driving home. biggrin

Mozilla Firefox is the browser you want. It's completely and totally free, and has built in pop-up and ad-blocking. With a few simple plugins, the ad-blocking is greatly enhanced (stopping even the worst of Flash ads if you install Flash/Shockwave), you can wander through the web with mouse gesturing (forward/back/whatever become mouse movements), and nothing will install behind your back, unlike IE, so visit all the pron sites you want in total safety.

And best of all, you can live happily, knowing that you're not using a browser that hasn't been updated since the stone age.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 01:38:08 AM »

To be fair, Avant browser gives you all the goodies like mouse gestures and tabs.  That's the one to go for if you just want an updated browsing experience.

I use Firefox because of all the extensions that are available. I can tweak and tailor the experience to my needs.  Foxyamp, for instance, is an extension that allows me to control my music from within the browser itself, so I never have to take my eyes off, uh, whatever I'm looking at to fumble with Winamp.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 01:50:34 AM »

I used Firefox at work for about 6 months and loved it.  Then they changed our systems and for some reason it won't run Firefox.  I started using IE and within 2 weeks I had adware and spyware coming out the ying-yang.

I miss Firefox at work.

I've never had any problem with adware at home as I only use Firefox.  The one site it used to screw up formatting on (Gamespot) is perfect now.
GoblinToe
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 01:56:22 AM »

I dumped IE yeeeeeeeeeeears ago, and switched to Firefox, which is an absolutely amazing browser with oodles of options.  Currently, I'm using Opera, which is equal in power and options as Firefox, but tastes more like a smoked gouda while Firefox has more of a gamey taste to it.

Both browsers make IE look like your surfing the web with a stone tablet and a chisel in your hand.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 01:57:24 AM »

Another Mozilla Firefox user here.  It's great.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 02:20:18 AM »

Opera is the browser you want, I'd argue.  Firefox is a great browser as well, but just doesn't quite hold up to Opera IMO.  Here is a good tour of its features.  

Biggest (and generally only) downside to Opera that people list is that it's 'not free.'  First, it is free, but displays a small text ad at the top of the browser.  Not a huge deal considering how much it will change your Internet life.

A few reasons why I choose Opera over Firefox:
-Integrated features, some of which are unavailable on Firefox, others that have marginal support via extensions
-M2 mail reader, whose database-driven simplicity just beats the living hell out of anyone else's mail client, including Thunderbird; M2 also handles RSS, newsgroups, and mailing lists
-Full-featured note-taking support, which I use often
-Error recovery; if the OS or Opera crashes, I just open it back up right where I left off
-Even better security record than Mozilla

In the end, regardless of which browser you choose, you'll be much better off than you are with IE (or would be with one of the IE addons).
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 02:54:47 AM »

Throw in anothre vote for Firefox. Couldn't live without it. I'm sure Opera is good, but I never liked it.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 02:59:42 AM »

Another very satisfied Firefox user here. I can't even imagine going back to IE.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 03:12:04 AM »

I have to vote for both Opera and Firefox.  Both have some major advantages.

Unless you don't have a choice, there's no real reason to stick with IE (And as far as I'm concerned, that includes all of the modified versions of IE:  Avant, MyIE2, and whatever else there is.  )  Firefox and Opera can do everything IE can do, only better.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 03:17:20 AM »

Quote from: "Valael"
Unless you don't have a choice, there's no real reason to stick with IE (And as far as I'm concerned, that includes all of the modified versions of IE:  Avant, MyIE2, and whatever else there is.  )  Firefox and Opera can do everything IE can do, only better.

Except ActiveX.

Not that that's a bad thing...
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 03:25:27 AM »

I'll throw my vote with Opera.
Gravity
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2004, 03:26:46 AM »

I am using Maxthon (used to be MyIE2) and am loving it.  I have been using MyIE2 for almost a year and haven't had any problems.  You get the solid core of IE, but all the cool features of Firefox.

Gravity
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2004, 03:27:11 AM »

I switched to Firefox a few weeks ago and I like it.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2004, 04:35:01 AM »

I've tried 'em all. Used Opera for a year, and it was great, but doesn't do Gmail (bad!) -- Zaxxon points out the M2 Mail Client, but ugh, pop3 mail is dead to me now after Gmail smile

Switched to Firefox about 2-3 months ago, and it's the best browser I've ever used.  With extensions you can customize the browser to your tastes. It can be as lightweight, or as feature rich as you want it, and it's all up to you.

Pick Opera, pick Firefox, pick anything besides IE. IE is like wearing a big giant target for spyware authors to aim at.
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2004, 04:41:36 AM »

Have a look at this website:
http://browsehappy.com/

unbreakable
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2004, 05:27:09 AM »

Firefox
Mozilla
Opera

Better the devil I know and can't uninstall anyway, I always say.
PhreezePeach
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2004, 08:00:44 AM »

Mozilla Mo Bettah.

I switched to Firefox a couple weeks ago after IE developed problems (it would just stagnate on certain pages and not navigate any deeper into a site)

I am extremely happy with it so far.   thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup

---------------------

Rock ---->O -Me- |<------Hardplace

Dump a bag of Skittles in the toilet. Flush. Watch a three second NASCAR race.
Raven
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2004, 08:31:08 AM »

With IE, I can mouse over any link or favorites folder, right click, and then either rename, cut, copy, or sort by name.

I've yet to find another browser that let's me do that  :cry:
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2004, 12:03:42 PM »

I tried Opera but it seemed to have problems with some websites I frequented so I went back to Mozilla.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Guy Incognito
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2004, 01:22:02 PM »

I just reinstalled Firefox again over the weekend.  I like it a lot but for some reason I just can't get comfortable using it for most of my browsing needs.  Part of the problem for me might be losing a bunch of features when accessing my work email through the web because it's a microsoft exchange server.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2004, 01:36:15 PM »

Another Firefox'er here.  I find a page that it doesn't open well once in a while.  I just right click and pick 'open in IE' and problem solved.  So I guess I do use IE every once in a  while. Tongue
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2004, 07:32:23 PM »

Just started  using Firefox last week and am liking it fine so far. What is this mouse gesturing you speak of? I don't see any reference to it in the Help file. Is this an extension of some kind? Where do I go to find extensions?

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2004, 07:34:29 PM »

Opera.

On the surface it's nigh identical to Firefox, but after you use it for awhile and learn its subtlties... any other browser really pales in comparison.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2004, 07:40:27 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Opera.

On the surface it's nigh identical to Firefox, but after you use it for awhile and learn its subtlties... any other browser really pales in comparison.

Amen.

Gryndyl:  Mouse gestures are a feature first implemented in Opera, and since copied over by the Mozilla team.  They allow you to browse without clicking on any icons in the browser.  For example, to go Back, I just hold the right button and gesture to the left with the mouse.  Sounds like a small thing, but it's hugs once you're used to it.
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2004, 07:47:35 PM »

I've been happy with firefox for the last 2 months. The only problem I have seen is with java plugins on some pages. I always get a 'click here to install the plugin' when it is already installed. Even after clicking, it says you have the plugin install but will not display.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2004, 08:10:57 PM »

Looks like I'll give Firefox a whirl when I get home tonight.

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2004, 08:36:19 PM »

My vote is for Opera.  I've used it for years and it only gets better and better.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
GuidoTKP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2004, 09:06:05 PM »

Another Opera convert here.  I liked it so much, I PAID for it!  Very slick, punchy interface.  Really nailed everything a user is looking for in a Browser.
EvilHomer3k
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2004, 09:16:40 PM »

Now this makes me feel at home.  IE vs Firefox vs Opera vs Maxthon.  

(use Maxthon and Firefox myself)

PSN ID: evilhomer3k
SirReal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2004, 09:19:10 PM »

Using full Mozilla myself. (Firefox is the standalone browser-only version of Mozilla). I use the Mozilla mail and IRC clients as well, so the full package is well worth the extra few megs on my HD.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2004, 09:44:24 PM »

Using full Mozilla myself. (Firefox is the standalone browser-only version of Mozilla). I use the Mozilla mail and IRC clients as well, so the full package is well worth the extra few megs on my HD.

Not exactly. Firefox and Thunderbird are Mozilla's next gen technology, not a standalone browser/mail client from the Mozilla package.
Zaxxon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2004, 10:20:38 PM »

Quote from: "GuidoTKP"
Another Opera convert here.  I liked it so much, I PAID for it!  Very slick, punchy interface.  Really nailed everything a user is looking for in a Browser.

5 bonus GGNFL points for you.
Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2004, 10:22:17 PM »

Opera won my heart.  Absolutely outstanding browser and my only beef is the whole Gmail deal, but I blame Google for that.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 11:35:54 PM »

Alright, I DL'd and installed Mozilla, which is what I'm using to type this, and after installing about 15 different extensions I'm still playing with it. Clean interface, and now that I'm tab browsing it's kinda fun. smile

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: