http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:55:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking advice on selling wargame collection  (Read 711 times)
Cyjon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: November 07, 2004, 07:33:04 PM »

My father has a huge (like a couple hundred titles) collection of the old SPI paper map and cardboard counter wargames. Since he hasn't touched them in years, he's decided he wants to get rid of them. They are all in very, very good condition. Some, I suspect, were never even played.

He thinks we can just dump the collection on Ebay. I'm not sure it's that simple. Since none of us have an Ebay account, we'll have a rating of zero which I suspect would scare off bidders. I'd personally rather sell the collection as a single unit, but I might be kidding myself. But selling them individually would be pretty labor-intensive. Also, we'd rather see them get into the hands of someone who would appreciate them for the classics they are rather than someone who buys the collection intending to resell them for a profit. Which leads me to my other concern - we don't want to get ripped off either, since we have no real idea what these are worth in today's market.

Can anyone suggest a better venue then Ebay for selling them? Or if Ebay's the best bet, maybe give some advice for selling a collection like this. Or an idea of how to figure out what the collection is worth.  Or anything else that might be relevant. I'd be grateful for any advice I can get.
Qbe
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 08:37:10 PM »

I think that some of those old SPI games go for quite a bit these days.  Know what they're worth so that you don't get ripped off.

If you're looking to sell to a dealer, Titan Games is a nice outfit: http://www.titangames.com

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
dbt1949
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 12:31:32 AM »

I think I'd go to my local bookstore and get some magazines oriented towards people who might be interested and then place ads in them.
BTW I used to have the first 100 issues of that mag myself.I threw mine away many years ago tho.

Ye Olde Farte
Cyjon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 02:42:51 PM »

Titan Games is exactly the kind of place I was looking for. I'll check them out. Thanks, Qbe.

dbt, I've already suggested the magazine ad thing to him. He doesn't want to do that because that could drag the whole process out for months. In these days of internet, we all want instant gratification smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: