http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 12:35:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeing double  (Read 1167 times)
CrayolaSmoker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2008, 04:26:25 PM »

So, some of you may have noticed I've been absent a bit lately. Part of that is due to a changing work schedule. Part of that is due to focusing my free time on creative endeavors. And part of that... well. Let me explain.

Niki, my wife, has congenital heart defects. Basically, there were a multitude of errors during fetal development that have needed various surgical fixes over the years for a grand total of 16 surgeries (17 after today), two of which have been open-heart. To say she shouldn't get pregnant is an understatement. Not because her eggs or uterus are bad, but because the increase in blood volume during pregnancy would likely kill her.

With that in mind, we've been considering surrogacy for quite some time. Several months ago I went to the lab where I was led into a sparse chamber with chair and sink and told to do my part. In the movies, the guy is always given a choice of magazines, videos, or other assistive materials to aid in their donation. Let me tell you right now, movies are liars. If it wasn't for an active imagination, an iPhone, and several years of practice, our hopes of pregnancy would've been dashed right then and there.

Early last month, after a couple weeks of administering her own injections I had the honor of giving my wife her "trigger shot." I figured if we're gonna get pregnant, I should've "poked her" at least once. icon_twisted Thirty-six hours later, the doc was driving a needle into her ovaries to harvest as many eggs as possible. Later that day, our genetics met and some of the eggs fertilized. Five days later, we transferred two textbook looking embryos into LD's (our surrogate's) womb.

A week later, the first pee-sticks began to show signs of life. Blood test follow-ups (Beta HcG, IIRC) had numbers through the roof and doubling as they're supposed to. We were pregnant!

Last week, LD started feeling crampy as if something was wrong. She went to the doctor to get things checked out and was greeted by the following:

Now, a smart man would look upon that and see two egg sacs. I looked upon it and realized we're having a robot:

Seriously, look back at the original and tell me he's not there!

The doc told LD everything was going great, and her cramping was just her body getting used to the idea of two embryos deciding to stick around. I told her it was 'cause she wasn't drinking enough motor oil to appease little Wall-E.  icon_wink

Last Friday, November 7th, Niki and I drove to Oklahoma (where LD lives) to see the first "official" ultrasound. Up on a big flat-screen TV, hopes of my very own R2-D2 were dashed as the two eyes had distinctly transformed into two much larger embryonic sacs. Peering into the first, a small blip within an oblong shape flickered binarilly between bright and dark. Niki and I were not looking at a robot. We were beholding the heartbeat of a flesh-and-blood child. Our child. It was truly one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed. A beating heart in a tiny us only half a centimeter long. With a matching flicker in the sac next door! We've got two healthy hearts beating within LD's belly!

Wow! We are officially expecting twins!  biggrin

The doctor labelled our pictures #1 and #2, while saying that they typically call them "Baby A" and "Baby B." We explained that we were fine with that, as we'd already taken to calling them "Thing 1 and Thing 2" anyway. Niki's an elementary school librarian, so she considers the The Cat in the Hat reference fitting instead of silly. My suggestions of "Gork and Mork" or "Tomax and Xamot" were quickly vetoed. LD wants to call them "Boomer" and "Sooner," but I have promised a swift kick to the shins should that happen.

Thing 1 is measuring in at 0.52 cm with a heart rate of 111:

Thing 2 is measuring in at a hefty 0.55 cm with a heart rate of 110:

With those numbers, we've determined that babies are healthy and spot-on with where they should be. Well, Thing 2 measures a day older than he actually is, but somebody has to be the overachiever.  icon_wink

Anyway, that's what's up with me. Now, if you'll excuse me I need to get the wife off to another lead revision. *sigh* That's a whole 'nother story...

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »

Congrats!  Although with those last pics, I see:

and

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 04:58:22 PM »

Congrats, your robot drawing is so awesome lol!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 05:13:25 PM »

That is awesome news CrayolaSmoker!  Congrats!!  We recently went through the IVF process (due in March, didn't have to go the surrogate route though), so I can completely relate to the joys of daily injections, ovary stimulators, trigger shots (Mrs. Gratch called that one the "million dollar shot"), and the "please FSM, let this ultrasound be normal" feelings.  Nothing quite like seeing the ultrasound for the first time, eh?  Did they give you a due date?

And for the record, you need to do more research before choosing a donation lab.  Mine had some high quality pr0n.  slywink

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 05:19:09 PM »

Congratz. Two more people to pay my future Social Security benefits. Thanks!

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on November 10, 2008, 05:13:25 PM

That is awesome news CrayolaSmoker!  Congrats!!  We recently went through the IVF process (due in March, didn't have to go the surrogate route though), so I can completely relate to the joys of daily injections, ovary stimulators, trigger shots (Mrs. Gratch called that one the "million dollar shot"), and the "please FSM, let this ultrasound be normal" feelings.  Nothing quite like seeing the ultrasound for the first time, eh?  Did they give you a due date?

And for the record, you need to do more research before choosing a donation lab.  Mine had some high quality pr0n.  slywink

Wow! 

Congrats to both of you, and your wives... just, wow! icon_eek

Btw, Crayo, I actually had noticed that you hadn't been around much lately, though I chalked it up to my memory.  I'm glad it was for a better reason than that, lmao.   icon_biggrin

And...Moliere... +1   thumbsup

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »

Congrats man. That's awesome. Good luck handling two babies at once!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 08:05:18 PM »

I'm really happy for you man!  Congratulations in a big way!

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:40:28 AM »

Five days later, we transferred two textbook looking embryos into LD's (our surrogate's) womb.

Lockdown's your surrogate?  eek eek eek

CONGRATS!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 08:18:35 PM »

Congrats Man!!!!!

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 08:33:04 PM »

Thanks, everyone, on the gratz. I've shared this thread with the wife and she thanks you all as well. We're very excited.  icon_biggrin

Quote from: Isgrimnur on November 10, 2008, 04:35:19 PM

Congrats!  Although with those last pics, I see:

and

I LOLled. Then made reference to this reply on my blog. You're famous!  icon_wink

Quote from: Gratch on November 10, 2008, 05:13:25 PM

Nothing quite like seeing the ultrasound for the first time, eh?  Did they give you a due date?

1) No, there's not.
2) July 1. Though that's likely not accurate due to the multiples. We're guessing more like June 10.
3) I coulda had pr0n!?! DAMMIT!

Quote from: CeeKay on November 11, 2008, 12:40:28 AM

Oh heaven's no! I want my kids to be able to roll higher than 5 on a d20!  icon_wink

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 08:35:17 PM »

Congrats. biggrin

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on November 12, 2008, 08:33:04 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 11, 2008, 12:40:28 AM

Oh heaven's no! I want my kids to be able to roll higher than 5 on a d20!  icon_wink

ROFL

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 08:52:39 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on November 12, 2008, 08:33:04 PM

I LOLled. Then made reference to this reply on my blog. You're famous!  icon_wink

Yay, me!   icon_biggrin 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »

Alright!  Twins!  Congratulations!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: