http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 06:37:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SE Michigan storm  (Read 1102 times)
GGMark
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2008, 09:57:05 PM »

a HUGe storm just blew through SE michigan.  Normally when they call for tornado warning, I just sit it out.  I looked out the window, as it was going off, and it was impossible to see through the rain and blowing trees.  I made my way to the ground floor of the apartment building, and sort of kept a eye out both doors.  Didnt see much other than LOTS of rain.  but it sounded scary down there.

So as soon as it was letting up, I made my way out, with the cell phone cam in hand.  NOT even a full block from my house.  Its a mess.  I posted some pics in my blog.

http://www.myspace.com/trink101 
dbt1949

Don't tread on me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 10:07:16 PM »

You don't see a Mist coming over the lake do you?

Ye Olde Farte
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:11:54 PM »

not, but wow, like I said, I dont normally do anything special.  they havent confirmed it was anything more than 80 MPH wind, yet.  but I would venture it was more than that.
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 10:15:40 PM »

That storm just rolled through Sarnia. Incredible to watch (from the safety of my apartment). A LOT of lightning and sheets of rain. It has knocked the power out for going on 15 minutes now. Just when I was cooking dinner too!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »

we've been getting slammed in wi the past few days. last night half the state was under watches or warnings. the sirens were going off near my place too, although there was tornado. the whole state was basically under flood warnings. many areas did have major flooding.

then we got another storm this afternoon, not as bad but it dumped a lot of rain. the new 2 or 3 days is even more rain. freakin crazy year weather wise. very harsh winter and now a very wet spring.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 10:44:39 PM »

The Bride of Ironrod is in Lansing this week, mothersitting. This morning she reported:

Big thunderboomers last night -- 75 mph winds, marble-sized hail and lots of lightning. A tornado touched down 13 miles away. Then we heard a big boom about 11 pm -- turns out a transformer on the next block either got hit by lightning or blew up. So no power since last night, and it may be out for 24-48 hours. Paper says 20K people citywide without power and I've seen trees down and traffic lights out all over the place.

I love a good apocalyptic thunderstorm. Tornadoes, not so much. We in New England don't get those end-of-the-world storms like you flatlanders get.

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
SzechuanLlama
Gaming Trend Reader

the bottom line...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 10:46:03 PM »

I took the kids down into the basement.  The storm in Macomb county rolled right over us.
Montag
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »

We received more than 6 inches of rain in 12 hours.  Souther Indiana is hurting. Some areas reported more than 10 inches of rain.  Good thing there is a chance of more heavy rain.  My basement was good.  My inlaws basement was not.  I spent 10 hours Saturday helping clean up and installing a primary and backup sump pump.
LordMortis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:53:25 PM »

I didn't pay attention at all...  Except on the drive in this morning...  The storm seemed to have targeted every single traffic light between my house and my place of employment.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »

Quote from: Jiffy on June 08, 2008, 10:15:40 PM

That storm just rolled through Sarnia. Incredible to watch (from the safety of my apartment). A LOT of lightning and sheets of rain. It has knocked the power out for going on 15 minutes now. Just when I was cooking dinner too!

How are you online?  eek
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 03:13:24 PM »

Quote from: JayDee on June 09, 2008, 01:30:32 PM

How are you online?  eek

he's on one of those bicycle powered generators, typing while he's pedalling.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
SzechuanLlama
Gaming Trend Reader

the bottom line...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 08:57:45 PM »

* SzechuanLlama snuggles his laptop, extra battery, and Sprint Mobile card slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 01:08:06 AM »

wow, we've been pretty lucky here.  all the really bad stuff has passed to the north or the south.  I guess my level of awesomeness creates a bubble of safety around my fair city.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 03:29:13 AM »

shortly after my last post the other day.  lost my internet.  never lost my power at all.  but Was without Internet..frown  that sucked...glad to be back

Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 03:44:27 AM »

Quote from: JayDee on June 09, 2008, 01:30:32 PM

How are you online?  eek

I have a UPS that powers my router and cable modem (and desktop computer, but I was using my laptop). My cable modem also acts as my phone connection, and is required to work in power outage situations. Thus, I am able to stay online as long as my UPS holds out. smile

That storm was a nasty one. The power was out here for over 2 hours.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 03:46:21 AM by Jiffy » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: