http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 04:42:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim Vs The World  (Read 3135 times)
PR_GMR
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:08:45 PM »

Watched it last night. Very, very clever! Visually dazzling and entertaining. Lots of geeky/gamer references. From Edgar Wright, the director of 'Shaun Of The Dead' and 'Hot Fuzz'. The dude is talented! I give it a big +1!  nod
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 02:05:28 PM »

Awesome, awesome film. Go see it! The gamer inside of all of us won't be disappointed in the least.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 07:17:17 PM »

That. Was. Insane.

In a good way, mind you, but still absolutely insane. On any literal or physical level, the movie makes absolutely no sense - the world is surreal (and hey, Toronto!) and the stunts completely impossible - but it makes no attempt to apologize, explain or even nod bashfully toward its ridiculousness. Instead, it takes that ridiculousness and buries it beneath so many hyperactive visuals and gamer-culture references that it's the movie-watching equivalent of eating a lemon meringue pie wrapped in cotton candy dipped in chocolate sauce.

Michael Cera actually works in the movie, as his awkwardness grounds the film and is pretty much the only thing keeping it from slingshotting around the sun and completely out of the solar system. Ramona's a bit of a blunt bitch, but that's the character, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead puts enough charm and sincerity behind her lines to make it possible to see why Scott likes her.

I'm surprised the movie is doing as well on RT as it is, because I wouldn't have expected anyone outside of our rather narrow demographic to want anything to do with it. That said, it's a movie that knows what it is and embraces it without apology or reservation, and in a world where the greatest superpower is self-respect, that's a pretty damned powerful.

- Ash
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 03:15:53 AM »

I definitely want to own this movie comes out.  Unfortunately, it got destroyed in the box office this weekend.  I'm hoping word of mouth will help it have legs once everyone gets tired of watching old 80's heroes go at it (which I plan on watching as well).

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:19:43 AM »

I can't believe it bombed as badly as it did. This movie was fan-fucking-tastic.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 05:28:08 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 16, 2010, 05:19:43 AM

I can't believe it bombed as badly as it did.

I'm not surprised- it's an off the wall comic book (that I don't think is very well known beyond it's fan base) movie overshadowed Stallone & Co., Will Ferrell, and Julia Roberts.  I think it might have done better with a January, February or March release.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 02:00:52 PM »

It's too bad this movie didn't do very well. I consider Scott Pilgram one of the best movies I've seen this year (2nd only to Inception)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:42:36 PM by USMC Kato » Logged

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 02:35:35 PM »

Don't count it out yet.  This is the definition of "word of mouth" film.  It actually helps that its releasing in late summer, with fewer tentpoles down the pike to knock it out of the theater.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »

That's what I'm hoping for.  While I still plan on seeing The Expendables, I don't expect it to have great legs.  The Other Guys is at 76% at RT, so that might have a bit of staying power.  The wimmens are going to keep driving Eat Pray Love for a while.  And I don't see anything in the next two weeks that will really compete in terms of genre with Scott Pilgrim.

Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »

I was too busy to see it this weekend, but I plan on going.  Maybe one night this week.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 03:58:11 PM »

I sincerely hope word-of-mouth gives it the boost that it deserves at the box office. I think most people are assuming that it's just another hipster film and thus giving it the cold shoulder. But, it's a terrific film! The editing and visual style are fantastic. And the characters are loveable. Definetely adding it to my DVD collection in the future; hell, I'm adding all of Edgar Wright's films.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on August 16, 2010, 02:00:52 PM

It's too bad this movie didn't do very well. I consider Scott Pilgrim one of the best movies I've seen this year (2nd only to Inception)

I totally agree (as well as Inception being #1).

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 08:11:31 PM »

It's too bad this movie didn't do very well. I consider Scott Pilgram one of the best movies I've seen this year (2nd only to Inception)

I wanted to hate this film for the same reason I hated High Fidelity, but I came out of the theater last night just genuinely happy.  It really is a fantastic movie.  It's the best damn musical I've seen in ages...if not ever.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »

I'm hoping to see this over the weekend. My daughter and I went to check it out over the weekend but I ended up at the wrong theater so we saw The Other Guys instead (which was pretty funny)

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 03:13:05 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 17, 2010, 08:11:31 PM

I wanted to hate this film for the same reason I hated High Fidelity, but I came out of the theater last night just genuinely happy.  It really is a fantastic movie.  It's the best damn musical I've seen in ages...if not ever.

I'm not sure I'd call Scott Pilgrim a musical, but it was indeed fantastic.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 06:18:11 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 18, 2010, 03:13:05 PM

It's a musical in the same way that Evil Dead is a comedy.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 06:35:13 PM »

Saw it, loved it, and killed your seven evil ex's in the process! 
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on August 18, 2010, 06:18:11 PM

I'll take "What is no?" for $2000, Alex.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 09:42:35 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 18, 2010, 07:57:38 PM

I wanted to hate this film for the same reason I hated High Fidelity, but I came out of the theater last night just genuinely happy.  It really is a fantastic movie.  It's the best damn musical I've seen in ages...if not ever.

I beg to differ.  I feel it is a musical.  The movie wouldn't exist without the music.  It's an essential component of the film and frames a lot of the action and plot.  I also agree with ibdoomed in that it may not be a musical in the classic sense, it certainly does function as one for all intents and purposes.  Evil Dead was ostensibly a horror film, but it's impossible not to laugh at the film in many, many places...and that's what Raimi wanted.

In any case, being called a "musical" isn't really an insult.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »

You're a musical.

See? Didn't phase him one bit.

Because I can,
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 09:47:03 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 18, 2010, 09:42:35 PM

I wanted to hate this film for the same reason I hated High Fidelity, but I came out of the theater last night just genuinely happy.  It really is a fantastic movie.  It's the best damn musical I've seen in ages...if not ever.

I beg to differ.  I feel it is a musical.  The movie wouldn't exist without the music.  It's an essential component of the film and frames a lot of the action and plot.  I also agree with ibdoomed in that it may not be a musical in the classic sense, it certainly does function as one for all intents and purposes.  Evil Dead was ostensibly a horror film, but it's impossible not to laugh at the film in many, many places...and that's what Raimi wanted.

From the opening line of the Wikipedia entry on musicals:

The musical film is a film genre in which several songs sung by the characters are interwoven into the narrative.

By that definition, the South Park movie is a musical.  Scott Pilgrim is not.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 09:51:58 PM »

which is why I wrote:

it may not be a musical in the classic sense, it certainly does function as one for all intents and purposes.  

Fight scenes oftentimes used music and the characters sometimes used music to express their feelings - albeit in short bursts ("We Hate You, Please Die").  Ask yourself:  could this film exist without music?  

I'm sorry that it bugs you that I believe this can be called a musical, but that's how I sees it.  No, it's not a musical in the same way as Moulin Rouge was a musical, but going back to an earlier reference, I like to call Evil Dead a comedy when I describe it.  Why can't Scott Pilgrim exist in more than one state?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:53:53 PM by hepcat » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 09:53:04 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 18, 2010, 09:47:03 PM

The musical film is a film genre in which several songs sung by the characters are interwoven into the narrative.

High Fidelity is also not a musical, but the music is integral to the story/setting.

Also, just to overclarify, Evil Dead is a straight horror movie. Evil Dead 2 is a horror/comedy film (or horror film with many comic elements).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 09:54:42 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 18, 2010, 09:53:04 PM

Also, just to overclarify, Evil Dead is a straight horror movie. Evil Dead 2 is a horror/comedy film (or horror film with many comic elements).

Correction noted and agreed with.   icon_wink

High Fidelity is also not a musical, but the music is integral to the story/setting.

I don't think it is to the degree that Scott Pilgrim takes it.  Music even takes physical form in Pilgrim.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 10:40:11 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 18, 2010, 09:51:58 PM

which is why I wrote:

it may not be a musical in the classic sense, it certainly does function as one for all intents and purposes.  

Fight scenes oftentimes used music and the characters sometimes used music to express their feelings - albeit in short bursts ("We Hate You, Please Die").  Ask yourself:  could this film exist without music?  

I'm sorry that it bugs you that I believe this can be called a musical, but that's how I sees it.  No, it's not a musical in the same way as Moulin Rouge was a musical, but going back to an earlier reference, I like to call Evil Dead a comedy when I describe it.  Why can't Scott Pilgrim exist in more than one state?

First, music is a vital element of almost every movie (save a minuscule handful that feature no musical soundtrack whatsoever).  None of them would exist without it.  As a result, your first argument fails.

Second, it "bugs" me because you're applying the definition of what a movie musical is in the wrong way.  A vast majority of the characters never sing.  While music is used to great effect, because of the lack of singing, it is not a musical.  As a result, your second argument fails.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but in this instance, it's technically very much incorrect. Scott Pilgrim cannot exist as a musical.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 11:53:24 PM »

So it bugs you when folks try to apply the term Musical to a movie you don't feel deserves it?

Life's short, Nancy.  Let it go.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 12:48:22 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 18, 2010, 11:53:24 PM

So it bugs you when folks try to apply the term Musical to a movie you don't feel deserves it?

You're still wrong.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 01:04:12 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 19, 2010, 12:48:22 AM

You're still wrong.

Ah, the internet.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 01:05:52 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on August 19, 2010, 12:48:22 AM

You're still wrong.

I agree.

I've always thought of you as more of a Janice, or possibly Claudia.....

Because I can,
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 01:20:27 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 18, 2010, 09:53:04 PM

Quote from: pr0ner on August 18, 2010, 09:47:03 PM

I agree that ED2 is more of/meant to be a comedy but I still recall first seeing ED1 in the early 90's and laughing my arse off (watched all three in order one week).
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 02:41:27 AM »

Despite all the arguments though, can we all agree that Scott Pilgrim absolutely ruled? biggrin

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2010, 03:05:48 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 19, 2010, 02:41:27 AM

Despite all the arguments though, can we all agree that Scott Pilgrim absolutely ruled? biggrin

Well, yeah. We're just debating how it ruled.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »

I rarely see movies in theaters, but I almost feel like I should go see this one just to support it.  Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 19, 2010, 08:20:32 PM

I rarely see movies in theaters, but I almost feel like I should go see this one just to support it.  Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

Supporting the musical arts is very important. Kudos to you!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 08:55:05 PM »

just got back from watching this and while I was expecting a good musical I got an awesome musical covered with musical awesomesauce.

PS.  is Brandon Routh permanently typecast as playing douchebags now?

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2010, 09:49:37 PM »

Is the trailer any indication of what the movie is like? Because the trailer didn't interest me at all, I think the humor from that kid's role in Superbad ended with that movie for me.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 22, 2010, 09:49:37 PM

Is the trailer any indication of what the movie is like? Because the trailer didn't interest me at all, I think the humor from that kid's role in Superbad ended with that movie for me.

it's a pretty good indication, but I should mention I normally can't stand Michael Cera (couldn't stand him or the fat kid in Superbad either) and I loved this movie.

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 12:44:57 AM »

Lots more fighting than in the trailer, I thought.  Saw it yesterday and I thought it was incredible.  Really have never seen anything like it before. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 02:15:37 AM »

This weekend's numbers from IMDB: 10th place with $5 million, total take is $20.7 million.  They're not going to make the budget back in theaters if this continues.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 02:38:54 AM »

It pains me to agree with Ridah about... well anything really, but here goes.

The trailer was packed with awful and I have zero desire to see this in theaters. Friends have offered me the Graphic Novels on multiple occasions and I quite simply don't care to read them. The same applies to this movie only it looks even more annoying for being Yet Another Michael Cera Movie™

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: