http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 05:12:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sci-fi and Fantasy for 2012  (Read 1655 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2012, 07:25:47 PM »

From an article on Io9.

Most interesting to me

The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel, Stephen King (Scribner)

Set in the world of the Dark Tower, The Wind Through the Keyhole nevertheless stands alone. It's a story from Roland Deschain's difficult youth. Tracking a deadly shape-shifter, he meets a scared boy and comforts him with a story his mother used to tell him, before her death.

and

2312, Kim Stanley Robinson (Orbit)

Three centuries from now, humanity has spread across the solar system. But things are unraveling. Something is afoot in the wondrous city of Terminator, on Mercury, where Swan Er Hong is being drawn into a conspiracy to destroy worlds.

Anyone else see anything the are excited for?

Ænima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »

The next book and possible finale to the Heroes Die series. If you like gritty, fast-paced, fantasy/sci-fi dystopias, definitely check out Heroes Die.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:49:18 PM »

I am about to begin my re-read of the Wheel of Time to end with A Memory of Light (book 14, estimated to have an August 2012 release).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:05:10 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 11, 2012, 07:49:18 PM

I am about to begin my re-read of the Wheel of Time to end with A Memory of Light (book 14, estimated to have an August 2012 release).

yeah, I have a feeling Wheel of Time will take up a lot of my reading time for 2012.  I cannot think of anything else I'm really looking forward to, but I also have the Malazan series waiting to be read also.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 03:41:41 AM »

Since this is a gaming website I'll go with 2 novels with game settings.

As I said in the General Gaming forums' D&D Novel thread, Bassignthwaites D&D books are well enough written that they could be enjoyed by people that know nothing about the game. This particular novel concludes the Abyssal Plague trilogy, which is set in the original D&D world 1st published in the 70's. Being from that era - a time before a teen sucicide and the resulting controversy made the game's publisher retreat from darker themes- it's tone is more dark fantasy than most of the later settings.

I'm Also looking forward to this:

While technically a late Dec 2011 release, most people probably won't read it until 2012. slywink  So far its getting good reviews and it sounds to be on par with the 1st 2 novels which I enjoyed.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:44:55 AM »

I can't wait for Blackout by Mira Grant.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 06:25:17 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on January 12, 2012, 03:41:41 AM

As I said in the General Gaming forums' D&D Novel thread, Bassignthwaites D&D books are well enough written that they could be enjoyed by people that know nothing about the game. This particular novel concludes the Abyssal Plague trilogy, which is set in the original D&D world 1st published in the 70's. Being from that era - a time before a teen sucicide and the resulting controversy made the game's publisher retreat from darker themes- it's tone is more dark fantasy than most of the later settings.
Is this the Greyhawk world or different one? The chained god reference reminds me of the Vecna guy. I thought he just became a lich or something. ?

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on January 12, 2012, 06:25:17 AM

Quote from: kronovan on January 12, 2012, 03:41:41 AM

Is this the Greyhawk world or different one? The chained god reference reminds me of the Vecna guy. I thought he just became a lich or something. ?
The novel is set in the Nentir vale within the kingdom of Nerath, which is a portion of a world that was only ever referred to as the Known worlds. The Known worlds predate Greyhawk, with the exception of the Blackmoor region which was also located in both. The Abyssal plague trilogy is considered world spanning in terms of some of the gods, deities and lesser gods. IIRC the Chained God is one such lesser god from a realm linked to many worlds - hence world spanning.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 02:36:15 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 11, 2012, 09:05:10 PM

yeah, I have a feeling Wheel of Time will take up a lot of my reading time for 2012.  I cannot think of anything else I'm really looking forward to, but I also have the Malazan series waiting to be read also.

LOL, looked at Brian Sanderson's blog and found this.

Spoiler for Hiden:
first draft apparently.

[edit] according to a post on Dragonmount, he was listening to this song while doing the final scene; potential spoiler material there (I'm not familiar with the game it's from so I don't know what happened when it played).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 02:40:08 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 20, 2012, 02:36:15 AM

Ya, I saw that as well (not 100% sure why that warrants a "LOL").

As soon as I see a definitive release date I will start my re-read of the series as well.  I know "Wheel of Time" gets a lot of grief on the internet, but it is still easily my favorite fantasy series.  I have not read any of the WOT books by Sanderson yet, I have been waiting for the series to be done.  At this point I want to be 100% sure that when I read the last page of the 2nd to last book I can walk right to my bookshelf and grab the last book.

As for some of the other upcoming books that look interesting:

I agree with farley2k about the Stephen King book and "2312".

I also think "The Killing Moon"  looks interesting.

I have "Leviathan Wakes" sitting on my shelf and I have heard a lot of good things about it.  If it is as good as people say it is nice to see "Caliban's War", a follow up, is already on the way.  I like "The Wheel of Time" and GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss and others, but it does get old waiting years and years and years for new books (which is why I have not read any new WOT books yet).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 11:01:17 PM »

Quote from: xenocide on January 20, 2012, 04:29:22 PM

I have "Leviathan Wakes" sitting on my shelf and I have heard a lot of good things about it.  If it is as good as people say it is nice to see "Caliban's War", a follow up, is already on the way.  I like "The Wheel of Time" and GRRM and Patrick Rothfuss and others, but it does get old waiting years and years and years for new books (which is why I have not read any new WOT books yet).
I really enjoyed Leviathan Wakes.  If you do like it, you may want to look into "The Dragon's Path", a fantasy novel by one half of the Leviathan Wakes author pseudonym (Daniel Abraham).  That series also has a second novel coming out this year. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 08:18:58 PM »

Quote from: xenocide on January 20, 2012, 04:29:22 PM

Ya, I saw that as well (not 100% sure why that warrants a "LOL").

As soon as I see a definitive release date I will start my re-read of the series as well.  I know "Wheel of Time" gets a lot of grief on the internet, but it is still easily my favorite fantasy series.  I have not read any of the WOT books by Sanderson yet, I have been waiting for the series to be done.  At this point I want to be 100% sure that when I read the last page of the 2nd to last book I can walk right to my bookshelf and grab the last book.

bad news, it won't be out until January 2013.

Because I can,
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 12:48:38 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 23, 2012, 08:18:58 PM

bad news, it won't be out until January 2013.

Yep, I saw that as well.  And even that is not a firm date.  Glad I waited to start the re-read.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 11:59:21 AM »

Well good, I just started reading the series for the first time, (towards the end of) book one. So that means i have plenty of time  icon_razz
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 04:27:39 PM »

Man, I hope this year sees someone writing a book from the vampire's point of view!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 24, 2012, 04:27:39 PM

Man, I hope this year sees someone writing a book from the vampire's point of view!

On it!

(that was a joke)

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 02:11:09 AM »

What crappy artwork.  I hope that's not the cover.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 07:22:17 AM »

It isn't. It's fan art.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 04:56:28 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 26, 2012, 07:22:17 AM

It isn't. It's fan art.

For fan art, not bad.

Epic 4g/Tapatalk

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 03:59:19 PM »

My new, most anticipated Fantasy novel for 2012 - The Time of Contempt by Andrzej Sapkowski. Unfortunately not due out until December, I'm hoping it actually arrives on shelves this year. That Oribt Publishing has now released the cover art means it going to truly happen this time.  slywink

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 02:34:50 AM »

2012 it's hard to find the time to read a print book, so stepped up to the next best thing, being able to hear the story while driving. The fact that each character in the book is voiced by a different person (on top of sound effects, music, etc.) really makes it all the better. I'm on the second cd so far and it's turning out to be one of the better graphic audio books I've listened to this year.

My next GA book will be:

Earth, 2508 A.D. Humans have spread across the six arms of the Milky Way Galaxy. The Unified Authority controls Earth's colonies with an iron fist and a powerful military-a military made up almost entirely of clones...

Private first-class Wayson Harris was raised in a U.A. orphanage among thousands of clones born and bred as the ultimate soldiers. But Harris isn't like the other Marines: he has a mind of his own. He figures he's paying for that independent streak when his first assignment out of boot camp is the smallest Marine outpost in the whole U.A.

When a rogue general surfaces, the remote desert world Harris thought was a dead-end posting becomes anything but. Fighting off the general's raid gains Harris a promotion. But it also brings him to the attention of some unfriendly U.A. leaders. They have their own plans for the military-plans Harris disrupts by his very existence. For in an army of clones, the one unforgivable sin is to be different...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:37:07 AM by corruptrelic » Logged

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 03:26:09 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
first draft apparently.

[edit] according to a post on Dragonmount, he was listening to this song while doing the final scene; potential spoiler material there (I'm not familiar with the game it's from so I don't know what happened when it played).

Spoiler for Hiden:
Well, since it's long been debated that Rand is the Jesus-figure of the story and there's prophecy about his dying (and comments about Nynaeve never being satisfied until she's Healed someone three days dead), a good guess is that Rand dies to win, but is raised from the dead afterward.  Only relation I can think of from FFX is that the main male character (Tidus) was a dream of a dead civilization.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 04:01:50 AM »

The blog post from February indicates that A Memory of Light will hit shelves on January 8th. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on May 14, 2012, 02:34:50 AM

2012 it's hard to find the time to read a print book, so stepped up to the next best thing, being able to hear the story while driving.

Yup, I have many a co-worker and friend that have grown to love their audio books. It's the opposite for me; I have a 1-1/2 hour commute (both directions counted) by rail to work each day, so printed books work best for me. As well, I'm writing at least a couple of adventures a month for my various RPG's, so it's important for me to visualy see the writer's style and technique. Not that I'm writing novel quality stuff or anything, but having observed good technique helps when it comes to writing the crunchier expository and dialog.

I'm glad you posted this book - I haven't read any of the Rogue Clone series, but I've seen them on shelves and always thought the setting was very cool.
xenocide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on May 14, 2012, 02:34:50 AM

2012 it's hard to find the time to read a print book, so stepped up to the next best thing, being able to hear the story while driving. The fact that each character in the book is voiced by a different person (on top of sound effects, music, etc.) really makes it all the better. I'm on the second cd so far and it's turning out to be one of the better graphic audio books I've listened to this year.

This seems to be the trend in audio-books.  Maybe I am in the minority, but I don't like it.  I like one person just reading the book. I want the book read word for word.  I want "the door slammed shut" not the sound of a door slamming.  If I want a radio play/drama I will find one.  If I listen to a book on tape, I want the same experience as reading the book, not someone's interpretation. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: