http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 01:11:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saw the wannabe Seven that couldn't  (Read 2062 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2004, 03:50:10 AM »

I wasted $17.00 on this craptacular movie.  My date and I hated this movie and from the comments I was hearing from the rest of the crowd they wasn't happy either.  I expected better from Danny Glover, but, sadly not even he could save this sorry ass movie.  So many plot holes so little time

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 04:27:35 AM »

and the movie is.... ?
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 04:34:31 AM »

Saw.

Horror flick where a villain creates a puzzle for his victims to figure out which usually results in the victims killing one another. Stylish from the looks of it, but apparently tru1cy might disagree. smile

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 06:30:34 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
and the movie is.... ?

that was my thought when i first read the subject line...then i realized it's just missing a little punctuation.  like WBS said, he's talking about the movie Saw...which he's apparently now wishing he hadn't.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 03:40:54 PM »

My apologies it was late and I had to slam that crappy ass movie

NiM$
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 03:51:28 PM »

Damn, the radio spots sounded awesome!  Figures.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 05:00:07 PM »

I was really hoping that SAW would have been a good flick. Oh well.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 06:00:52 PM »

It was.. odd. There were scenes where I couldn't help but laugh even though what was happening on screen was supposed to be disturbing/terrifying. I've never had this problem before.

I think it's because everytime I see Cary Elwes I remember Robin Hood Men in Tights and Hot Shots. I just can't get past that. The ending wasn't too shabby, though it seemed a little of the "HAHA WE FOOLED YOU LOLOL" type like we saw in The Village where the whole goal through the entire movie was for you to not know who the killer really was. Only there weren't any clues for you to figure it out. So instead of it being a surprise where you go "Oh wow, why didn't I figure that out sooner?" it was "Boy.. I feel cheated."

All in all not a good movie experience. Cary Elwes needs to stick to comedies. He's just not meant to play movie roles like this. Don't get me wrong, the movie still would have been very underwhelming even with someone more convincing in the "lead" role, but it certainly didn't help matters.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 07:34:46 PM »

Yeah, Thin J, the people in out threater were actually laughing at him during his stressful scenes.  It was truly sad

NiM$
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 07:36:59 PM »

Exact same thing happened here.

I really liked the movie, but every time Cary Ewles (spelling) tried to do the drama scenes, or cry, or basically anything other than talk normally, it made a full theatre of about 500 people laugh.

Nothing is worse than having a pretty nifty climax getting ruined becase the lead actor can't act for shit at the end. Hes funny in comedies, but boy oh boy, he defines bad in this movie.

"GAME OVER!"
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 09:35:42 PM »

I didn't think his acting was bad, a little rough around the edges but otherwise he did alright. I enjoyed the movie a lot, can't wait for the DVD.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 11:35:51 PM »

I haven't seen it, and I don't think I will, but two of my buddies did this weekend.  Both said it fell flat on it's arse.

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 08:02:18 AM »

I saw it...get it? I SAW it, hehe I'm such a cut up...ooh I made another funny  :lol:

Anyways, about the movie, well this is the kind of movie that needed to deliver the gore in a couple of key scenes to work right. Some movies, like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Psycho, can be disturbing and work good with minimal gore. The people who made Saw don't have that kind of talent, which means that the only chance this movie had to be memorable was if it had delivered on the gore.

I'm reminded of a movie called The Hitcher.  In that movie, a character winds up tied between two semis about to be pulled apart, legs tied to one truck and arms tied to the other.  That was the big scene the movie was building to, if that scene had paid off like it should have, that movie would've been remembered as one of the alltime classics.  They chickened out though and so that movie is about as memorable as Road Games or Joyride.

Saw has the same problem.  As it is, it can only be considered a mix of Se7en, Cube, & Phonebooth, and all three of those movies are superior to it.  Work of mouth should kill it pretty quick.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 04:32:29 PM »

All I saw was a bunch of suck.  thumbsdown thumbsdown

LiveTAG: happydog
Tim Maynard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 02:54:11 PM »

Not sure if this is a spoiler because of the previews but just in case....

SPOILER ALERT!!!!
Did anyone else notice that when Cary Elwes was cutting thru his foot with a hacksaw that he got blood all over his neck and the collar of his white T-shirt and then when he was crawling on the floor towards the gun the blood had vanished from his neck and from the shirt???
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2004, 05:22:20 PM »

We went and saw the movie last weekend and pretty much enjoyed it.

If you can get past the bad acting and just enjoy it for the dementedness of it, it is not that bad
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 09:01:04 PM »

I posted this at the other board. I watched SAW last night.. and I agree with the majority here. The film's just amateurish, and despite the inventive script, the film just falls apart:

I saw...ahem, SAW, last night... and I must agree with Evil Dead's assestment--It's a SE7EN ripoff. Although one with a couple of neat, shocking twists here and there.

The film has one really good thing going for it--it's script. Leigh Whannell (who plays Adam in the film) wrote it and it's a pretty inventive piece of writing.

UNFORTUNATELY.. hehehe.. the film has several things going against it. Director James Wan is just an amateur. He doesn't know how to frame his shoots, how to direct his actors, how to pick a decent location for a scene. Apparently, he went to film school in Australia (along with Leigh).. and he should be sent back for a couple more years. Carey Elwes and Danny Glover are pretty decent actors, but they manage to be atrocious in this film. Both of their performances ellicit more laughter than exciment. I gotta think that Wan didn't know how to direct his actors (or he just picked their worst takes)

The film also looks cheap. Now, the film was actually made for little money (less than 10 mil).. but some of the spaces they picked to shoot the scenes (the doctor's aparment, for example) at were just really bad and very poorly dressed. The movie just has this dreadful 'direct to video' feel all over it.

What else is wrong with the movie? Oh yea, there's some very bad editing on certain parts (the car chase with Danny Glover going after Zeb is just laughably terrible). Also, there's too much exposition; they want really heavy on the narrative dialogue and trying to explain how everyone was connected. A talented director would have been able to do that with visual composition and good editing.

So, yeah, it's a 6 out of 10 film. Wait for DVD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: